Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Nha Trang - Vietnamese place on Newark Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
I was informed by staff that the owner of the building was not open to a renewal of Nha Trang's lease. (Sounded like the building owner has plans to redevelop the building.)

Nha Trang was great and had some nostalgia, but New Thanh Hoai is nice upgrade. I still find the price very reasonable and the staff friendly. Add a much better dining room and delivery? I'm Converted

- and they now have a parking lot on the north side of the 11th street extension just before the gas station.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
There are plenty of overpriced fancy restaurants that takes forever to order and serve in JC. NT was a special place that had easy parking, good food, cheap price and a relaxed but quick service.

After a long day of work, this is a great place just to get some good food fast then be on your way home.

The new location's parking is a problem, more expensive and slower. I wish they at least picked a place on the other side of the mall.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Well that sucks. Does the new place even have decent parking like the old place?

Yes... they have parking about 100 feet north on the left.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 4:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Well that sucks. Does the new place even have decent parking like the old place?

Posted on: 2013/5/8 4:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jwave wrote:
Windows rule. NT had none.

Wow, for a few moments I thought you made a geeky operating system joke, then I realized what you meant and the joke was on me, apparently the real geek.

Anyway, I've lived and worked in so many windowless places, I never actually noticed it was windowless as I chowed on great food for cheap.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 3:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Why would they not at least keep the same name at the new location? They are crazy not stay on Newark Avenue -- they will die in that "dead end " out of the way place. They should have kept it open and just raised their prices 10-20% We will still get take out -- wish them all the best!

I am in their new location now...It's really great space with floor to ceiling window on three sides. Looks like they will do just fine here

Posted on: 2013/5/8 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well the no frills decor goes hand in hand with the low prices. I am a fan of ambience, but also a fan of no frills places. Yes, I think the diveyness of it was a positive.

Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:
Quote:
"think the popularity of the place was due to: location on Newark Ave, no frills decor, phenomenally low prices, and BYO

Popularity due the "no frills decor"? Coupled with the pungent mould odor? I don't think so.

I think it was mostly due to really good food at very decent prices. If literally dreaded going into that place sometimes.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 20:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
Windows rule. NT had none.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 19:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
"think the popularity of the place was due to: location on Newark Ave, no frills decor, phenomenally low prices, and BYO

Popularity due the "no frills decor"? Coupled with the pungent mould odor? I don't think so.

I think it was mostly due to really good food at very decent prices. If literally dreaded going into that place sometimes.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well - the BYOB at Nha Trang went away not long after the second place opened... wearing off a bit of the shine for us.

We thought the same dishes at the new place werent as good (not seasoned as well) and my gamble is as soon as they started to get a taste of the booze revenue NT's game was over.

I have a feeling it will do well in that location. It's a very specific niche.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Why would they not at least keep the same name at the new location? They are crazy not stay on Newark Avenue -- they will die in that "dead end " out of the way place. They should have kept it open and just raised their prices 10-20% We will still get take out -- wish them all the best!

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So the original one on Newark Ave is closing? Wow, that's terrible. Place was always packed. I think the popularity of the place was due to: location on Newark Ave, no frills decor, phenomenally low prices, and BYOB. All of that goes away with the Thanh Haoi spot. It doesn't seem like a great business decision, but what do I know.

I haven't been in the new one yet (Thanh Haoi) but the decor looks awfully cheesy from the outside. I'll reserve full judgement until I actually go in there, but this is a shame.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
So the original one on Newark Ave is closing? Wow, that's terrible. Place was always packed. I think the popularity of the place was due to: location on Newark Ave, no frills decor, phenomenally low prices, and BYOB. All of that goes away with the Thanh Haoi spot. It doesn't seem like a great business decision, but what do I know.

I haven't been in the new one yet (Thanh Haoi) but the decor looks awfully cheesy from the outside. I'll reserve full judgement until I actually go in there, but this is a shame.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
As of yesterday, Nha Trang has officially moved to the new location (Thanh Haoi). I'm pretty bummed about this as I like the menu options and prices better at Nha Trang.

I did see a suspicious looking banner for Whole Foods in the window...

Posted on: 2013/5/7 13:45

Re: Nha Trang- No BYOB???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Rather than start a separate thread...
I just came back from the grocery next door. (11:00) Sunday. They have a really nice selection of prepared stuff - dumplings, bao, etc. They also have bags of wide rice noodles which are a family fave and just need to be nuked. This stuff is available Saturday and Sunday, I was told.

Posted on: 2013/5/5 15:47

Re: Nha Trang- No BYOB???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've been going there for years, and always brought my own. now that the new place is 2 blocks away, i would just walk. last night, not thinking clearly, I brought a bottle at Thanh Hoai and was informed the corkage is $15 (I forgot they had a liquor license so I just ordered the "33" Vietnamese beer) - then the server said that Nha Trang does not allow BYO any longer.

Not Good

Posted on: 2013/4/20 23:59

Nha Trang- No BYOB???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I just called Nha Trang and if I understood the man who answered correctly, they do not sell beer or wine and I am not allowed to bring beer or wine? Is this right? I know some Indian places are like this.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 23:39

Re: Nha Trang Place
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Food there is great -- we get them to make us special dishes #129 no onions but in a curry sauce (chicken with mixed vegetables) and a #122 no onions but in a sate sauce (bean curd with mixed vegetables.) the price is like $15

Check out the food store next door too -- not to be missed!

So what are taxi girls? Something about taken for a ride?

Quote:

video wrote:
Nha Trang, the town in Viet Nam, is notoriously know for bad food, theft, and taxi girls. I experienced all 3.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 22:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/11 16:32
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
so does this place actually serve Vietnamese food cooked in a Vietnamese kitchen? Just asking because I decided to eat in Hoi An Restaurant (named after a town i lived in) on W. Broadway but it was actually "Vietnamese cooking in a Japanese kitchen." Very disappointing. Then again, none of the Asian food I had in America tastes like Asian food...well, in Asia.

Anyway, looking forward to give this place a chance even though Nha Trang, the town in Viet Nam, is notoriously know for bad food, theft, and taxi girls. I experienced all 3.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
pho with tripe all the way!!!

Posted on: 2007/8/21 18:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

4bailey wrote:
Something tells me that this thread is about to be consolidated to one of the others, but let me add another recommended dish while I?m thinking of it?

With this weird ?fall-like? weather in August, I?m battling a summer cold. Last night, mrs4bailey kindly got take-out of my favorite, unofficial neighborhood cold remedy ? the #1 Pho soup/Big Bowl.

I?m no expert in Vietnamese food and I certainly have no idea of the various meat (by)products that are in it ? but I swear this stuff absolutely GREAT if you?re struggling with cold symptoms. The effect could be totally psychological, but who cares when it?s this tasty. I usually mix a little of the hot sauce they provide with the broth ? really clears you up!

I completely agree. Lots of chili garlic sauce and the sweet-hot (hoisin?) sauce they include. Pho Tai (#4 - fresh eye of round) is my fav. Cures what ails ya!

Posted on: 2007/8/21 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Something tells me that this thread is about to be consolidated to one of the others, but let me add another recommended dish while I?m thinking of it?

With this weird ?fall-like? weather in August, I?m battling a summer cold. Last night, mrs4bailey kindly got take-out of my favorite, unofficial neighborhood cold remedy ? the #1 Pho soup/Big Bowl.

I?m no expert in Vietnamese food and I certainly have no idea of the various meat (by)products that are in it ? but I swear this stuff absolutely GREAT if you?re struggling with cold symptoms. The effect could be totally psychological, but who cares when it?s this tasty. I usually mix a little of the hot sauce they provide with the broth ? really clears you up!

Posted on: 2007/8/21 14:51
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Nha Trang Place
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
I guess it is somewhat new or recently renovated (new ownership?)... looks great, per the the notes and pics on Off The Broiler

Anyone been? Likes? Dislikes?

On Newark between Coles & 2nd/Mamouth

Posted on: 2007/8/21 14:29

Re: Nha Trand Place on Newark
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
price is cheap, food is fresh and taste great. excellent place. BUT...

1) they use a lot of msg type ingredients in their food, especially the house special beef soup noodles. Ever notice how thirsty you are afterwards?

2) they use a lot of "bad" oil. If you place their beef noodle soup in the fridge for a while, it will condense into chunks of white fat, a sign of using the worst kind of oil to cook.

Not to single out nha tran, as most chinese takeouts are the same...but just some facts.

Eating there on the weekends are good, but everyday may have a detrimental effect on your health.

Posted on: 2007/7/30 5:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They are great! We eat there all the time -- well mostly take out.

Posted on: 2007/7/30 3:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/29 3:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
haha I always eat there and i love their pork chop!

Posted on: 2007/7/30 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I Know this was covered in another thread, but maybe it got ditched in one of the server changes.

My faves are the grilled meats and or spring rolls with vermicelli rice noodles, pork and the beef rolls are great. I always add teh vinegary fish sauce they give you with some hoisin and sriracha hot sauce. Also great is the squid in satay sauce. It's not a peanut satay, but a spicy fish saucy dish, with lots of onions. Finally, Salmon in Special Veitnamese sauce in a crock is a salty caramelized onion dish.

Posted on: 2007/7/28 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Don't know if they still do, but for years they cooked all the soups/broths outside in back of the restaurant (freinds lived in the apt that is now the psychic/tarrot cart reader, we would smoke out back and see it). Always put me off, especially when they renovated the building next door and they were still out there every day.

This is about 3 years ago at this point, no idea if they still do it.

Posted on: 2007/7/28 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Halo-Halo is that large cup filled with sweet beans and that green gummy stuff topped with a ball of shaved ice which is then soaked in evaporated milk, and covered sometimes with a spoonful of some exotic ice cream such as Ube, or Mango.

As for Pho, - you gotta add some mint leaves, bean sprouts, a squeeze of lime, jalapenos, 2 kinds of red, hot spice (one with seeds, one smooth) and add some of that sweet brown (hoisin?) sauce.

Can't go wrong with either #6 or #12.

Posted on: 2007/7/26 13:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Though we'd eaten there in the past, it'd been a long while and this thread perked up my interest again. So I stopped by last evening for take out.

The smell didn't particularly put me off. It was more like lingering bug spray than anything else; not my favorite aroma but nothing that would make me turn around and leave. The staff were quite pleasant (the older balding guy especially); no complaints whatsoever on that front.

I'm not all that well versed in Vietnamese cuisine (probably only eaten it 10-12 times) so navigating the menu was something of a chore. I wanted to try a pho and went with #6 which I think jcinsom had recommended. Added an appetizer of cold rolls with diced pork. Total bill, $9.25.

The rolls were very good, interesting texture between the slightly gummy, uncooked wrapper and the granular pork with greens. Decent if slightly bland sweet dipping sauce.

I'm not at all sure I mixed everything properly with the pho. You get about a quart of broth and a quart-size container of noodles, thinly sliced beef and veggies--a lot of material! There was also a packet of bean sprouts which I dumped into the bowl (was this correct?). And there were several small condiment containers. I didn't include these, not sure if I should have. In any case, the pho was phine. Maybe could have used some spicing up, hence my thought that those condiments could have come in handy. Pho phans can hopefully clue me in. The beef was excellent--wish I could get that quality routinely at your average deli. I can see the pho being a great winter meal, like the lapaz bachoy up at Fiesta.

I was wondering which dessert equates to the halo-halo as well--the parfait?

In any case, I'll be back fairly often I think.

Posted on: 2007/7/26 13:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/19 21:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Congratulations - you found the best place to eat Downtown.

Try the Halo-Halo for dessert, it's a great finish for a summer dinner.

The convenience store next door also sells good Vietnamese delicacies.

Totally agree with AlecC - I think it is the best place we have. If you're looking for vegetables, try the water spinach -a huge platter for $8 or there abouts. Not sure what Halo-Halo is - is it the cup with what looks like custard and green gummy worms that gets topped with coconut ices? More details please. I also think the funky smell may happen when they make durian shakes or from the fruit in front of the buddha when you walk in.

Posted on: 2007/7/26 12:20

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017