Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Re: Tilted Kilt - Pub & Eatery (&boobs) - CLOSED
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Too bad they can't just put a high end top less bar there. It would be unbelievable.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 2:04
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
I think the Breastaurant fad is over.

Doubt it. You just can't be running out 4's and 5's and draw the clientele you want.

Good one! So true. Had they chosen hotter staff, it'd be a different story. I still wouldn't want that type of joint in my building but would have also appreciated the commercial logic.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 6:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:

Doubt it. You just can't be running out 4's and 5's and draw the clientele you want.

Posted on: 2015/4/17 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/17 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I used to work in the area - a little bit down south there's a Hooters that's always packed

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
The owner is right now moving this to Route 1 -- just north of Princeton --next to the South Brunswick Home Depot. Can't see it working there either.

Why would you think it wouldn't work there? The stretch of Route 1 between Edison and Princeton is littered with chain restaurants of the "casual dining" variety. I have driven through that stretch a few times over the past two weeks, and I always have the same reaction: it looks like every other nondescript suburban area all over middle America.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
The owner is right now moving this to Route 1 -- just north of Princeton --next to the South Brunswick Home Depot. Can't see it working there either.

Why would you think it wouldn't work there? The stretch of Route 1 between Edison and Princeton is littered with chain restaurants of the "casual dining" variety. I have driven through that stretch a few times over the past two weeks, and I always have the same reaction: it looks like every other nondescript suburban area all over middle America.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
that's probably a much better location, actually. near a large road, by an area where a bunch of dudes of the correct demographic will be...

generally a much better location than in a back-road area of a hipster/yuppie/immigrant city not known for its dudebros and guidos like hoboken

Posted on: 2015/4/13 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/13 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
So we were in the western suburbs today, and found ourselves feeling a bit thirsty and peckish-and we were in Summit, so we decided to stop in at Red Cadillac. A nice man opened the doors for us, and I mentioned that rumors said they'd be opening another location in Jersey City. He replied 'that's news to me'!

Halfway through a pretty decent pitcher of margaritas and snacks (for those of you who are Jets fans, Rex Ryan was a very good RC customer) the owner stopped by to see how our experience was. I told him of the rumors that had Red Cadillac taking over the Tilted Kilt space and he told me this-yes, he'd looked at the space, but will not be opening another Red Cadillac in that location. He'd been asked about it from people who had read the story here, and was particularly amused by the poster who cut and pasted all the negative Yelp comments, while ignoring the good ones!

So whoever is taking over the spot, it won't be Red Cadillac.

Posted on: 2015/4/12 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
On a more positive note - just walked by 18 Park. Buildout of one of the retail spaces is ongoing. Permit says it will be a pharmacy.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
T-bird what's the latest on the Phase 2 of Gulls Cove?

Developer (the aforementioned Dean Geibel) has continued to issue meaningless promises around the beginning of Phase 2. A sales office was going to be open by September with construction to begin a few weeks later. A sales office was going to open in November with construction to begin a few weeks later. A sales office was going to open by the end of the year with construction to begin a few weeks later. Honestly - I think the best real shot here is someone steps in (a Dave Berry, perhaps) and buys him out of Phase 2, because otherwise I think it's going to remain a cement slab/pipe farm. At some point we will sue him and win (he lost a $6+ million judgment in Hoboken on issues that pertain to GC as well), but it's really discouraging to have to continue deal with the lies, fraud and incompetence in the meantime.

I would say Geibel is a failed state (Trump, the Esperanza in Asbury Park), Phase 2 of GC - but he swindled the City Council wonderfully into giving him the additional abatement he needed to make a go on the 25 Senate Place, so like the unemployed drunk with a PowerBall ticket, he's managed to keep hope alive. (The council was gutless on that vote, by the way - with the exception of Osbourne and Lavarro. Yun voted no, too, but he's a stopped clock when it comes to abatements so I don't give him much credit. Tom Bertoli has an interest in the 25 Senate project, so I guess that explains the vote...)

But Rich Boggiano is going to hold Geibel's feet to the fire. He promised!!!

Posted on: 2015/4/2 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Developer (the aforementioned Dean Geibel) has continued to issue meaningless promises around the beginning of Phase 2. A sales office was going to be open by September with construction to begin a few weeks later. A sales office was going to open in November with construction to begin a few weeks later. A sales office was going to open by the end of the year with construction to begin a few weeks later. Honestly - I think the best real shot here is someone steps in (a Dave Berry, perhaps) and buys him out of Phase 2, because otherwise I think it's going to remain a cement slab/pipe farm. At some point we will sue him and win (he lost a $6+ million judgment in Hoboken on issues that pertain to GC as well), but it's really discouraging to have to continue deal with the lies, fraud and incompetence in the meantime.

I would say Geibel is a failed state (Trump, the Esperanza in Asbury Park), Phase 2 of GC - but he swindled the City Council wonderfully into giving him the additional abatement he needed to make a go on the 25 Senate Place, so like the unemployed drunk with a PowerBall ticket, he's managed to keep hope alive. (The council was gutless on that vote, by the way - with the exception of Osbourne and Lavarro. Yun voted no, too, but he's a stopped clock when it comes to abatements so I don't give him much credit. Tom Bertoli has an interest in the 25 Senate project, so I guess that explains the vote...)

Posted on: 2015/4/2 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Couple of factors at play. DTJC is less populated than your average BK nabe. So there's just less custom. Also, The better joints are closer to the grove path, so location plays a part as well. Bears noting that places that get the product and service mix right are thriving in even less than ideal locations. See eg Kitchen at Grove. The view is shit, and the building is ugly. Yet the interiors compensate and the food and service is excellent.

+1

The Kitchen is a good example of the idea that if you put out a great product, and the service to match, people will come to you. There are many such places in BK (see Pok Pok, Tanoreen, etc) to which people will walk or drive long distances because the food is excellent and the service is (at least) very good.

Comparing JC to established BK neighborhoods is a bit disingenuous. Some areas of BK have been thriving for quite some time, while others have been gentrifying for a long time, only recently becoming desirable. Even places like BK Heights, which retain some of their grittiness while commanding insane rents (with the amenities to match) have been gentrifying longer than DTJC.

Quite honestly, I think we are sort of on the cusp of a tipping point. We have had an incredible run of good restaurants taking the local food scene to really good levels. I think there is enough critical mass now to encourage more people to visit on occasion, while others choose to relocate and stay here. Our biggest problem/obstacle is going to be the inept/corrupt local government agencies (the lack of parking enforcement, the out of control buildings department, the uneven enforcement of QoL laws/rules, etc) along with a contingent of old-timers that are not particularly welcoming of change and newcomers (I don't think this is a HUGE, widespread issue, but there are certainly some in JC that harbor hostility and derision towards the "interloping yuppies".

I am super excited about JC, in general.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Couple of factors at play. DTJC is less populated than your average BK nabe. So there's just less custom. Also, The better joints are closer to the grove path, so location plays a part as well. Bears noting that places that get the product and service mix right are thriving in even less than ideal locations. See eg Kitchen at Grove. The view is shit, and the building is ugly. Yet the interiors compensate and the food and service is excellent.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
"1) Club Barks and a concierge dry cleaner are located on the ground floor of GC and are operating just fine. So those are the two ground floor retail units. Not sure which one you are comparing to a chevys??"

Sort of off-topic, but calling the cleaners "concierge" is a bit too generous. They've lost at least one of my shirts and gave me one that wasn't mine (and then refused to take it back because I "must have forgotten it was mine"). And their 24-hour automated machine is out of service at least a third of the time.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think it's actually really interesting to look at the bigger picture real estate-wise. It's telling, that in a building with multi-million dollar condos, the only ground floor retail that this building has attracted is a glorified Hooters and a glorified Chevy's. Two suburban types of establishments inserting themselves into a high end urban condo building. The discrepancy is very noticeable and kind of weird.

Look at similarly priced neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens (say, Crown Heights), and I don't think you really see that. It's hard to imagine a suburban restaurant owner in Long Island opening up a second outpost of an average TexMex joint in a "hot" neighborhood of Brooklyn. Instead you see tons of really interesting, creative places opening up. Our restaurant scene is picking up and I love it, but it's a snail's pace compared to some other neighborhoods.

This all tells me that JC's real estate prices are inflated above the level of amenities offered in the area. 2-bedroom condos going for over $1MM, and still no gourmet supermarket of any type near the Grove Street/Paulus Hook area? There is a housing shortage, but high demand.

I think as more condo units come online, and hopefully there are some condo conversions, the price of housing will be more on par with the amenities. Of course hopefully more amenities come too :)

You are incorrect.

1) Club Barks and a concierge dry cleaner are located on the ground floor of GC and are operating just fine. So those are the two ground floor retail units. Not sure which one you are comparing to a chevys??

2) DTJC doesn't compete with Crown heights ?? Where are you getting this? DTJC is competing against areas like brooklyn heights and the financial district of manhattan. Compared to those places, DTJC is a bargain for the amenities residents receive.

DTJC is a bargain compared to NYC.

Have you read the thread - I'm talking about the two businesses that have occupied/will occupy the Tilted Kilt space. The one I'm comparing to a Chevy's is the incoming restaurant, mentioned in the thread.

Regarding neighborhoods, I'm not talking about "competing", so I'm not certain where you are going with that and talking about Brooklyn Heights and FiDi in Manhattan. I'm talking about for the price of living here (comparable to Crown Heights) the level of amenities (quantity and quality) is less than that of Crown Heights. Can you argue?

Posted on: 2015/4/1 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
The high rent district in Brooklyn is significantly larger than the high rent area of JC (Crown Heights by itself is 140k+ people in 2sq miles). Retail is a tough business, even tougher when you are at the edge of a town and the vast majority of the population has pass 40 other places to eat before they get to you.

This spot will do better as development fills in around it.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Geez, while Red Cadillac isn't 'farm to table, cutting edge, staffed with chefs with food tattoos' like Williamsburg would insist on, it's likely to be a cut above what was there. And given that this will be the second Red Cadillac location, it's not exactly a true chain restaurant like Chevy's. And it's first location isn't exactly in a leafy suburb; Morris Avenue in Union is quite solidly lower-middle/middle class.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think it's actually really interesting to look at the bigger picture real estate-wise. It's telling, that in a building with multi-million dollar condos, the only ground floor retail that this building has attracted is a glorified Hooters and a glorified Chevy's. Two suburban types of establishments inserting themselves into a high end urban condo building. The discrepancy is very noticeable and kind of weird.

Look at similarly priced neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens (say, Crown Heights), and I don't think you really see that. It's hard to imagine a suburban restaurant owner in Long Island opening up a second outpost of an average TexMex joint in a "hot" neighborhood of Brooklyn. Instead you see tons of really interesting, creative places opening up. Our restaurant scene is picking up and I love it, but it's a snail's pace compared to some other neighborhoods.

This all tells me that JC's real estate prices are inflated above the level of amenities offered in the area. 2-bedroom condos going for over $1MM, and still no gourmet supermarket of any type near the Grove Street/Paulus Hook area? There is a housing shortage, but high demand.

I think as more condo units come online, and hopefully there are some condo conversions, the price of housing will be more on par with the amenities. Of course hopefully more amenities come too :)

You are incorrect.

1) Club Barks and a concierge dry cleaner are located on the ground floor of GC and are operating just fine. So those are the two ground floor retail units. Not sure which one you are comparing to a chevys??

2) DTJC doesn't compete with Crown heights ?? Where are you getting this? DTJC is competing against areas like brooklyn heights and the financial district of manhattan. Compared to those places, DTJC is a bargain for the amenities residents receive.

DTJC is a bargain compared to NYC.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/1 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I am reassured that while "large drinking pen" spots like Biergarten and Surf City may attract a "bad Jersey stereotype" crowd sometimes, that the Tilted Kilt did not even appeal to that demographic in large enough numbers to stay open. Personally, I think if you're going to oogle women, you should just be honest about your intentions and go to a strip club. At least the women get better tips there in exchange for being objectified. Food service is a brutal enough professional without mandatory T&A dress codes.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Nobody knows. Dean Geibel is a douche evidently.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Yah... similar story in JC TK. Some to the stuff said to female bar keeps was unbelievable, liquor talking mostly. Went in a couple times at Fri-Sat night with a DJ & crowds were sketchy. One night there was a patched biker group (whiney Japanese bikes, not HDs). All I could think about was the neighbors listening to that racket every weekend. It won't be missed!

Posted on: 2015/3/31 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Put a Buffalo Wild Wings in there, and they would see a lot of business..

Posted on: 2015/3/31 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/31 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:

Interestingly, the building it is in, when it was being built, proclaimed that (Jersey City's own) Amelia's would be opening there, and that really got us excited! Sadly, that never came to fruition...

Amelia's is also owned by the Gull's Cove developer, at least partially.

Quote:

jcman420 wrote:

To what future hotel are you referring? Is there a hotel being built near the site of the old TK? Perhaps that building foundation directly west of Gull's Cove?

There is supposed to be a hotel, along with two residential towers, in the lot immediately south of 18 Park - the building across the light rail tracks from Gull's Cove. Construction has begun for the first tower - pile driving starts bright and early every morning!

Posted on: 2015/3/31 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I always thought they were trying to hold on waiting for the hotel construction to finish. Their clientele would change from hardhats to visiting white collar types from hotel.

To what future hotel are you referring? Is there a hotel being built near the site of the old TK? Perhaps that building foundation directly west of Gull's Cove?

Posted on: 2015/3/31 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to say this out loud, but I used to go to the TK in Hoboken pretty frequently during the day as they had internet I hooked up to, and is very close to my house in the Heights.

When it first opened, they had some good managers, the food was actually pretty good (Inferno burger was fresh and tasty, as were the fries), and the beer was clean and cold. Service was good too, as long as you tried to not notice they were teenage girls wearing too little clothes. After a few months the good managers left and quality started dropping pretty quickly.

A few more months, and the guys that would hang out there became so overwhelmingly aggressive douchebags towards the girls that I nearly got in several fights, telling them to watch what they said, and had to tell the managers to make the guys leave.

The service got unbearably bad, and the quality of the food dropped also. All the beer taps they brag about were never cleaned, so anything you ordered tasted like crap. And finally, the jerks that occupied the bar made it unbearable to be in the same room.

Bums me out too, because that burger was yummy, and the place is close, but it has been out of our rotation for quite some time now.

Interestingly, the building it is in, when it was being built, proclaimed that (Jersey City's own) Amelia's would be opening there, and that really got us excited! Sadly, that never came to fruition...

Posted on: 2015/3/31 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting connection between Developer and TK owner... there were a number of papered over store fronts in that area, assume they are still there unoccupied... with no foot track or parking, hard to think that anything could survive if the business was not providing a direct service to the neighbors.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to be another one to jump in and judge, but at a first glance yes Red Cadillac looks to be a corny, gimmicky kind of place a la Caliente Cab Company.

Agreed on the window covering thing ... maybe a big part of the reason why Tilted Kilt failed is because nobody ever knew they were open or existed. The exterior looked absolutely terrible.

Part of me thinks that the retail spaces in these newish buildings are destined for chainey types of places. I think creative chefs/restauranteurs do prefer creative and interesting types of spaces, and I think it's really hard to turn a sterile exterior into an inviting storefront. And I actually think that the architecture of Gulls Cove is in the upper echelon of buildings built in the past 10 years ... but the ground floor retail is kind of cold looking from the outside.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 16:29

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017