Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (bodhipooh)




Re: Water damaged wall and ceiling
#1
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Started in 4th flr and went down all the way to 1st - not sure if a toilet can overflow that much!?!?!?),


No commenting on anything else about the situation (follow your instincts, I suppose) but you might be surprised at how much water ANYTHING can leak and overflow if left unchecked. In our building, someone left a faucet running, and then went off to work, and that faucet ran all day, and there was water damage three floors down, with the apartment directly below essentially trashed completely and requiring a complete teardown of cabinets and floors.

In my previous building, I ended up with the short end of the stick of a flooding situation: my neighbors' fridge water line came undone, and it ended up resting against the shared wall. That tiny little line, ended up flooding my place TWICE. The first time, they replaced the floors in my unit and since they couldn't find the source of the leak, they assumed it was a one-off and re-laid down the floor, only to have to rip it out again a few days later when it became apparent the leak was still going. So, word of advice: do keep an eye on the ceiling and walls. If you see signs of flooding after they repaint/fix the current issue, definitely get on the management company's ass about it.

Posted on: Today 15:10
Top


Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Another entry for the JC Property Tax Hall of Shame:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/243 ... y-NJ-07302/38888495_zpid/

243 2nd St -
Asking Price: 1.75 MM
Taxes (2015): 10.6 K (a whopping 0.6%)

If we end up at a 2% rate, the new taxes would be 35K. Even if we end up with a 1.8% rate, this property will pay 31.5K. I wonder if the seller, or their agent, will disclose that to potential buyers.

Tell me again how this reval is not overdue?

If they have to be told then they should continue to rent.


That's total BS, Heights. Full disclosure of critical matters related to a property sale should be legally required. Lots of buyers are gobbling up DTJC properties seemingly unaware of the impending reval. How's someone supposed to know about the reval process and the potential for a doubling or tripling of the advertised taxes.

Posted on: 3/22 23:14
Top


Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Another entry for the JC Property Tax Hall of Shame:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/243 ... y-NJ-07302/38888495_zpid/

243 2nd St -
Asking Price: 1.75 MM
Taxes (2015): 10.6 K (a whopping 0.6%)

If we end up at a 2% rate, the new taxes would be 35K. Even if we end up with a 1.8% rate, this property will pay 31.5K. I wonder if the seller, or their agent, will disclose that to potential buyers.

Tell me again how this reval is not overdue?


Posted on: 3/22 19:12
Top


Re: Buying to live in Bergen-Lafayette a good idea?
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Hey look! Here's another thread about an area with people commenting on it without knowing a damn thing.

Considering that houses in BeLa have Sotheby's signs out front, I'd say gentrification has already come...


Sotheby's the auction house sold off their name years ago re:real estate . . . the nice blue signs have nothing to do with the auction house these days.

No houses for auction...


huh?

Monroe was just saying that Sotheby's (normally referred to as as an "auction house") is in no way associated with the real estate operation that uses the same name. But, many people make the association and assume that it is one and the same, which leads to other assumptions.

And Monroe is making the assumption that these houses for sale are not associated with the real estate operation. It's a false assumption.


I think you completely misinterpreted his post, and my explanation didn't help you at all.

Posted on: 3/22 15:09
Top


Re: Marco & Pepe Sold
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

kimmygo wrote:
Their food was good, but their service was terrible. Maybe something better will come in.


This. Their service had been going downhill for quite some time. And, their food was nowhere near as good as it used to be back in 2008/2009.

Posted on: 3/22 12:52
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Mao wrote:
16 unimproved acres fronting on LSP would net at a minimum $80 million. Maximum maybe $160 million in current market.


What's your basis for making this claim?

Quote:

Around 1998 or so, I was involved in a deal with Fisher Brothers who negotiated the sale of one acre in the Colgate Redevelopment zone for $11 million, a record at the time. I hear the going rate would be at least 20 million now for that area. Using the conservative market value of $80 million, if it were developed properly, it’s value would clearly be over one billion in ratables.


How is the Colgate Redevelopment area in any way related to this swampy land in the middle of nowhere, without access to the waterfront?

Quote:

After the reval, the average homeowner will be paying $20k in annual property taxes.


FALSE. This is a 100% made up claim.

Posted on: 3/22 12:49
Top


Re: A&M Auto on 6th- Avoid!
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


This again? Didn't the Webmaster shut you down last time for multiple posting about the same thing?

We get it... you feel A&M Auto did some shoddy work on your car, you don't feel satisfied by the work, or their attempts to remediate said work, and you are now out for blood.

Posted on: 3/22 12:31
Top


Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

mrspigglewiggle wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
That article is being bandied about on the NextDoor site. The article is poorly written in that critical facts were left out of the narrative. Before getting all riled up, look at the facts. The taxes did not rise 111% because of the appraisal errors. The guy is looking for sympathy based on half truths.


What is incredibly frustrating is how the reporter absolutely sticks by her misreporting despite multiple comments stating that this story is bullcrap. She keeps insisting that the owner was bamboozled because of an incorrect bathroom/bedroom count--however, multiple people have sourced the original MLS sheet showing 6 bedrooms as well as the owner's OWN for rent listing showing 6 bedrooms. She completely ignores his purchase price. I would bet good money that the house is not 1500 sq ft as he claimed, anyone with eyes can see that. Several comments have calculated square foot based on Google Earth/dug up property records that show around 2600 sq ft. I could go on and on.

The article and journalist either have an agenda... or are incredibly dense. Neither of which is good in media.


Exactly. I didn't want to get into all the details, but glad you did. In addition to what you state above, a few people went through the hassle of documenting the actual history of the property in terms of taxes, sale values, and MLS listings. It is SUPER CLEAR to anyone wanting to get to the truth that the story is BS. But, of course, people react emotionally, instead of rationally, and this story is now being used by those who want to oppose the reval at any cost.

What is the expression for that? Oh, yeah: feels before reals!

Posted on: 3/21 22:30
Top


Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


That article is being bandied about on the NextDoor site. The article is poorly written in that critical facts were left out of the narrative. Before getting all riled up, look at the facts. The taxes did not rise 111% because of the appraisal errors. The guy is looking for sympathy based on half truths.

Posted on: 3/21 17:35
Top


Re: Buying to live in Bergen-Lafayette a good idea?
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Hey look! Here's another thread about an area with people commenting on it without knowing a damn thing.

Considering that houses in BeLa have Sotheby's signs out front, I'd say gentrification has already come...


Sotheby's the auction house sold off their name years ago re:real estate . . . the nice blue signs have nothing to do with the auction house these days.

No houses for auction...


huh?

Monroe was just saying that Sotheby's (normally referred to as as an "auction house") is in no way associated with the real estate operation that uses the same name. But, many people make the association and assume that it is one and the same, which leads to other assumptions.

Posted on: 3/21 13:50
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In a perverse kinda way, the fact that the schools suck so bad here means that anyone with kids who can afford to move to the burbs does just that, unless they can afford private school. I'm not even sure what JC HS is local to Newport-where do those kids go?


Sadly, this is entirely too true. I know many, many couples that have left Jersey City after having kids. And, honestly, it is hard to fault them: paying for a private school, on top of paying a ton for property taxes, is simply not feasible for a lot of young families. Heck, I know a couple (currently paying for private pre K) that is already planning to move out if their kid that is about to enter elementary school is chosen to be bussed instead of getting to attend the one down the street from their place in Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 3/20 22:34
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, I think they are opposed because they were not contacted. I have always said one acre should be given to the local school system because there is a need for a school, especially a high school. Development has brought in a lot of school children that the current administration ignores in tax abatements hearings. A typical tax abatement hearing might show only 4 students on a 100 unit building. Those numbers are not realistic.


You love to make this claim, but guess what: I think you are just making it up. I am now living in my second development in which an abatement was granted (both developments had 20-year abatements, and both were 100+ units, one in BeLa, and the other in DTJC) and they were both almost entirely devoid of children, particularly school-age kids.

When in BeLa, I resided at the same building for almost nine years, and in all those years, I can only recall two families with one kid attending schools. Everyone else was single adults, or couples without kids, and the few that ended up getting pregnant and having kids, soon moved out and went elsewhere. At my new development (also 100+ units) there is one unit with one kid in high school (not sure if attending public schools in JC, but I am almost positive that is not the case) and a handful of families that have recently had kids and are looking at future options, including moving elsewhere.

My point is that the abatement studies may not be as far off as you claim: I am sure my experience is not that unique. I have friends in other abated buildings and their experiences are similar in that their buildings have almost no kids, and most families with newborns end up moving elsewhere.

Posted on: 3/20 21:07
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Interesting that the teachers union would suddenly oppose this project. Such a move is more likely to make me want to support the project.

But, seriously, why the sudden interest and apparent opposition?


Since so little is known about the project I'd guess and say they're terrified the onsite school would be charter based.


That's exactly what I am thinking. But, as far as I know, there is no indication the school is slated (or, expected) to be a charter school, but the idea does have merit if it is tightly integrated into the SciTech institution, as a sort of "engineering" high school, a la Brooklyn Tech.

Posted on: 3/20 20:57
Top


Re: Stop Sale of Public Land to Developers, Promote a Green City
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Some years ago the Parking Authority was running in the red and sold a parking lot to balance it's budget. It's like the milkman selling his cow, right?


You, sir, have an awesome knack for coming up with clever analogies that clearly illustrate points.


Posted on: 3/20 15:34
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Interesting that the teachers union would suddenly oppose this project. Such a move is more likely to make me want to support the project.

But, seriously, why the sudden interest and apparent opposition?

Posted on: 3/20 15:32
Top


Re: Jersey City man charged with trying to stab resident during burglary (Downtown)
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Turn him over to ICE


If you search his court records online it says he was born in NJ. It also says he has five prior burglary charges and just started probation in January for one of those charges.


Yup, super weird retort. Was JC_Man confused by the Hispanic surname and somehow assumed this was an illegal immigrant?

In a country where the population of hispanics is fast approaching 20%, it is a bad assumption to make. Hispanics have already surpassed blacks as the largest minority group in the US, now estimated at a little over 17%. That translates to more than 1 out of each 6 people being of Hispanic heritage/ancestry.

Posted on: 3/20 12:40
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Thanks for the pics, stc4blues!

I am sure most people don't even know about it. I first stumbled upon it when, after Hurricane Sandy had washed away the stinky bridge, I decided to walk through that area to get to DT. On a second occasion, I walked by with my teenage daughter in tow. The skaters (all boys) didn't particularly like we were intruding in their turf (going by the stares) but kept to themselves and continued skating.

Have they moved over to the new Berry Lane Park (there is a skate park there, right?) or are they still hanging out in that wooded area?


Posted on: 3/19 18:38
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
She's correct on this, Bodi, it's the land just north of the LSC on the other side of Johnston and west of the Philips extension that leads to the stinky bridge.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7686454

Edited to add-the $35 million land sale was closed almost two years ago, so it might not be market correct-could be worth more now.


Oh, yeah. I know that area. There's an area in the middle used by teen skaters. Pretty cool spot they have taken over and made into a sort of skating park. I wasn't aware it had been sold, or may have forgotten.

Posted on: 3/19 16:32
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
How can the land be estimated at $20 when developers brought land one minute by car according to the google map for $35 million? That land is 7 1/2 acres.


What plot of land are you referring to in your post?


Posted on: 3/19 14:17
Top


Re: Did you know the City Council is required at (Open Public Meeting Act) Caucus allow public to speak
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

paig55 wrote:
www.njfog.org

Please see N.J.S.A. 10:4-12 this section discuss the exception to public attending only.
Governing bodies must set aside a portion of every meeting (Caucus included) to allow for public comment.
Historically, this law has NOT BEEN ENFORCED, its time it is.
The Public has a legal right to speak at caucus and general council meetings and the council nor does the
Legal Department have a right to prohibit a legal right.


You are 100% wrong on this point.

NJSA 10:4-12 deals with the nine exceptions under which a public body can hold (or, go into) a closed meeting.

Once again: the right to attend a meeting does NOT entitle you (or, the rest of the public) to actually speak at every public body meeting. This is clearly explained explained in the law statutes, and you can read it online as well.

Here is a link for you to read: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/new-j ... -meetings-laws-new-jersey


Posted on: 3/19 14:15
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Councilman Boggiano said the director of Liberty Science Center makes over $400,000 a year in a salary, more than the salary of the president. If they can afford to pay him a salary like that they the center can afford to pay for land. This is the last large open space in JC and reval is around the corner. The city should sell and place in the budget to soften the blow for the reval.


We all know facts dont matter to you, but... if you are referring to the US President, the salary for the position is 400K, plus many other perks (including a travel account, entertainment account, around the clock security, etc) and it should be noted that many, many positions (particularly those like directors of non-profits, museums, universities, etc) are seemingly paid obscene amounts not because they are complex jobs, but because these people have a proven track record of fundraising.

Many years ago, I read a very insightful article into the practice. For those looking from the outside, it seems like crazy money, but a well known, effective fundraiser that can bring in millions and millions of dollars year after year on fundraising, gifts, pledges, etc. is a better investment for an organization looking to hire a CEO or director, than a relatively unknown person unable to generate that kind of investments and gifts. So, what does it matter if the head of a well known museum is paid 5 million dollars, if he can bring in 100 million in fundraising? Would you rather have a net ~90MM operating income generated by that single person? Or, have 10 or 20 MM ??


You may be right on that, but... there are at least seven other officers & employees of LSC that make well over $100,000 a year plus other perks and benefits, with few if any of them living in Jersey City. Additionally, when Liberty Science Center laid off all of those people back in 2008 when the economy was in bad shape, guess how many of those six-figure officers were laid off? Zero. Did any of them agree to take a salary cut in light of the times? You know the answer. Somehow this place has the money to pay the $ 100,000/200,000/400,000+ salaries, but has to cut people with $ 30,000+ salaries.

Furthermore, of the five highest independent contractors paid by LSC according to their 2015 tax return, guess how many of those contractors were businesses based in Jersey City? You know the answer.

This place has gotten somewhat better but still sorely lacks the fiscal discipline and commitment to Jersey City needed to build their case for this land.


caj11, I dont dispute the facts you state. And, I definitely I am not an LSC defender. It could very well be that the place is a mismanagement cesspool. I dont know enough about their operations to even begin to form an opinion on that matter. I was just pointing out that highly paid directors are not an uncommon thing, and that organizations often hire well-connected people because they are simply "buying" access to that person's contacts in the form of fundraising drives, etc.

I have been to LSC three times with my daughter. My personal, honest take is somewhere here in JCLIST. I will give you the short version: not impressed, AT ALL. During each visit, it felt like a bunch of the displays were broken. The place, despite its size, feels underwhelming in content and exhibits. Overall, it really was a very disappointing experience each time. I also went to see a blockbuster movie in their dome IMAX screen. That was OK, but nothing great, and the dome form factor was not great for the movie I was watching (Star Trek) so I never went back to see other such movies.

Posted on: 3/17 15:57
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
bodhipooh, you think that attacking someone on a personal level will get you a win, but it shows this administration is running scare and are afraid of facts. They are afraid to do a assessment on the property before it is transferred. Boggiano also made a comment in the value of land at Exchange Place. He said an acre of land is worth $84 million, there. You can find his comments on the city's website or youtube when the council voted for the first reading. Why is the city afraid of doing an assessment before the transfer?


Are you claiming that I have attacked you on a personal level? Because I stated that facts aren't of any importance to you?? That's simply stating the truth. EVERYBODY in JCLIST believes that. You should ask yourself why that is.

And, are you seriously equating land in Exchange Place with contaminated swamp land in the middle of nowhere?? Next thing, you will probably assert that this land is the same as the WTC land, since they are both in the same geographical area and have the same total land area, but we all know that is not true.

Posted on: 3/17 15:52
Top


Re: Wow - LSC's Updated Plans for SciTech Scity
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Councilman Boggiano said the director of Liberty Science Center makes over $400,000 a year in a salary, more than the salary of the president. If they can afford to pay him a salary like that they the center can afford to pay for land. This is the last large open space in JC and reval is around the corner. The city should sell and place in the budget to soften the blow for the reval.


We all know facts dont matter to you, but... if you are referring to the US President, the salary for the position is 400K, plus many other perks (including a travel account, entertainment account, around the clock security, etc) and it should be noted that many, many positions (particularly those like directors of non-profits, museums, universities, etc) are seemingly paid obscene amounts not because they are complex jobs, but because these people have a proven track record of fundraising.

Many years ago, I read a very insightful article into the practice. For those looking from the outside, it seems like crazy money, but a well known, effective fundraiser that can bring in millions and millions of dollars year after year on fundraising, gifts, pledges, etc. is a better investment for an organization looking to hire a CEO or director, than a relatively unknown person unable to generate that kind of investments and gifts. So, what does it matter if the head of a well known museum is paid 5 million dollars, if he can bring in 100 million in fundraising? Would you rather have a net ~90MM operating income generated by that single person? Or, have 10 or 20 MM ??

Posted on: 3/17 11:40
Top


Re: Did you know the City Council is required at (Open Public Meeting Act) Caucus allow public to speak
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

paig55 wrote:
I called yesterday to put my name on caucus speakers list and was advised by city clerk I may attend but public comment period not allowed. OPMA (Open Public Meeting Act) requires that all governing bodies and school boards in the state of NJ, must allow a public comment period. This applies to all public meeting where a quorum attends and matter pertaining to the city are discussed or acted on. I called the JC Law Department in the hope that I could speak to someone regarding this matter. I was told someone would get back to me. I am still waiting and hope some will return my call. However, in the meantime I have sent an email to the Council to inform them of this oversight. This post is to inform the public that currently we are not being allowed to fully exercise our 1st amendment right and that the Council is in violation OPMA. I will keep you posted as this matter continues. Hopefully, it will be remedied in the near future.


How is this a First Amendment matter? Did Congress pass a law preventing you from speaking to the Caucus?

Also, I dont think you fully understand the provisions of the OPMA: the Law requires that public bodies permit all members of the public to attend their meetings. However, the right to attend meetings does not entitle members of the public to participate in the meetings.

Posted on: 3/17 10:09
Top


Re: NOAA Knew NYC Was Not Getting a Blizzard by Noon on Monday! Fake News?
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

CatDog wrote:
That's not what "fake news" means Jesus Christ. The term "fake news" has been so thorough abused it's amazing. The explanation for not updating is in the very same article you're posting, why would you even accuse this of being fake news? There was a snowstorm yesterday, wasn't there? Or are you telling me the snow I shoveled was fake?


Agreed. And, while the forecast was off in terms of total accumulated snow, it was still accurate for actual precipitation.

From the article:
"The right amount of precipitation fell, but it came down as rain and sleet because the rain-snow line moved inland, according to Carbin and private forecasters."



Posted on: 3/15 13:10
Top


Re: recommendation on self storage near downtown
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
As a point of comparison, last month I reserved a unit at public storage for $50/mo at the same size that it cost over $110/mo at Liberty Self Storage. It was worth the hassle of moving.

That said, PS needs to get their act together because they weren't well organized and seemed to be pushing larger/more expensive units. So, just go in there well informed about what you want.


Same here: I moved my unit from Keepers to Public Storage, at a substantial saving per month (50% lower) but I also scored additional savings by doing all my booking online (about 15% lower than the quoted price on site) so the unit rate ended up being about 60% lower than Keepers. The staff at PS has been SUPER pleasant and friendly. They do try to upsell you by offering their packing supplies (boxes, tape, etc) but that's to be expected. If you don't need that stuff, just let them know (politely!) and move on. Highly recommended.

Posted on: 3/15 13:05
Top


Re: Stop the give away of taxpayers' city owned land. Ordinance 17-023
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


While I think the SciTech idea is downright silly, your claim about that plot of land being "very valuable" is almost as goofy. It is contaminated marsh land, sandwiched between an industrial service road and the turnpike extension, and during most of the year it stinks terribly.

Posted on: 3/14 15:00
Top


Re: Newport Mall
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


You can avoid paying any fee by becoming a member of the AMC Stubs program, which is about $12/year. In addition to waiving the online ticket fees, there are other perks. Definitely worth the cost if you watch more than a handful of movies every year.

Posted on: 3/14 8:41
Top


Re: Newport Mall
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
but Newport Mall should close the food court and the movies


WHY? The movie theater was completely redone recently and it is now ALWAYS, even the early morning showings when empty theaters were the norm.

The food court is not my thing, but that place is PACKED every time I have walked past it. During the week, it is filled with workers. Why would the mall get rid of that?


Posted on: 3/13 21:52
Top


Re: parking during snow at LSP
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Does anyone know what the situation is with parking at the LSP park & ride during snow. Will any cars left there be effectively plowed in by their lot maintenance, or is it a good option?


From previous experience, this is what will happen: they will plow that lot fairly well, and will leave gigantic mountains of snow towards the south end of the lot. A few years back, the mountains lasted for close to a month, maybe even longer, as it got tightly packed and refused to melt away. The only problem with that solution is that the lot will lose some spots, making parking a bit tighter.

Posted on: 3/13 21:47
Top



TopTop
(1) 2 3 4 ... 99 »






Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017