Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
You are truly an evil person nicky, In some ways I feel sorry for you. If you are not making sick pathetic comments, then you are not happy.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 21:23

Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

robotdisko wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, I am comparing the Museum to the Loews because it is obvious, you never went. It had gallery openings and some live performances. On rare occasions during the summer, City Hall had some of their council meetings, there. It was more than just a museum. It just lacked parking.

LOL why is it so difficult for you to have proper adult reasoning skills?

The old hag is most likely still reeling from the Supreme Court decisions and Trump's poll numbers dropping. Her NIMBY powers have become so feeble she cannot possibly fight a seven-front war against expanded bike lanes, more outdoor seating and new pedestrian plazas, construction and parking lots being torn up unabated, the Bayfront project moving forward, the Embankment being turned into a park and finally Lowes gaining a competent manager.

Poor Yvonne, the pandemic was supposed to be her moment of supreme victory and it turned into anything but.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 19:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/24 21:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, I am comparing the Museum to the Loews because it is obvious, you never went. It had gallery openings and some live performances. On rare occasions during the summer, City Hall had some of their council meetings, there. It was more than just a museum. It just lacked parking.

LOL why is it so difficult for you to have proper adult reasoning skills?

Posted on: 2020/6/19 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2020/6/19 1:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

robotdisko wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People said the same thing about the JC Museum, it was just a couple of blocks from the PATH. But here are some facts, events are in the evening, around 8:00 PM, when it is icy and cold. I used to go to the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, NJ which is near a train station but, instead, the playhouse own parking lots were used. They had more than one lot due to the demand. People used their cars, not the train, nearby. It is the reason this Playhouse survived.

comparing a museum to a theater. LOL you're meds are off today.

Unnecessary response, I already addressed this.

ok, mom!

Posted on: 2020/6/18 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotdisko wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People said the same thing about the JC Museum, it was just a couple of blocks from the PATH. But here are some facts, events are in the evening, around 8:00 PM, when it is icy and cold. I used to go to the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, NJ which is near a train station but, instead, the playhouse own parking lots were used. They had more than one lot due to the demand. People used their cars, not the train, nearby. It is the reason this Playhouse survived.

Unnecessary response, I already addressed this.

Posted on: 2020/6/17 12:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2020/6/17 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
The Lowes Theatre showed Phantom of the Opera (I think that was the movie) and had a live organist last Halloween. I had one friend from Queens and one from Brooklyn take the Path there.
I don't think you can compare the draw of a museum, particularly a very specific museum like the Jersey City museum, sorry but not many people from outside JC (and not many in JC) have any desire to go there, versus a theatre.
Second, they could fill that theatre every night just with acts and movies from India.
Last, White Eagle Hall which has zero parking seems to do okay and it's not particularly close to the Path, they just have acts people want to see.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2020/6/16 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
This theater is literally 30 feet from a 24 hour Subway system. If anywhere doesnt need parking, its this place, which hasnt needed it for 100 years.

Also, isnt there a huge public parking lot directly behind it? I dont think parking is the issue. I think the lack of attractive acts is the issue here.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Events are held at night and usually during the fall and winter months based on the showings at the JC Museum, the reason why it failed, no parking. So I believe parking is important. Mayor Fulop is always interesting in eliminating parking. You need to draw people from outside the immediate walking distance to have a crowd.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Events are held at night and usually during the fall and winter months based on the showings at the JC Museum, the reason why it failed, no parking. So I believe parking is important. Mayor Fulop is always interesting in eliminating parking. You need to draw people from outside the immediate walking distance to have a crowd.

Posted on: 2020/6/13 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City plans to renovate, reopen Loew?s Theatre in 2022 with new operator

Updated Jun 11, 2020; Posted Jun 11, 2020

By Teri West | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? The Landmark Loew?s Jersey Theatre, a relic of another era, may soon become a modern destination.

The city began a bidding process Thursday for a management company to renovate and operate the 1920s Journal Square movie palace as a space for international live acts and community events.

https://www.nj.com/jjournal/2020/06/je ... 22-with-new-operator.html

reddit jersey city:

Quote:

It is so sad that we are not enjoying great entertainment in the Lowes at this very moment or for the last 5 years. All because the FOL would not give up their lease back in 2014. JC residents and Journal Square itself was held hostage until February 2020 when the lease finally ended. Notice the dates in the below JJ piece from 2014. Gee great now we have to wait another 2 long years for the Loews to reopen. That?s 7 years of entertainment lost. Along with 7 years of bars, restaurants, and stores kept from springing up in The Square. (you can only eat so much Indian food and White Castle) But hey those once every few months FOL movie weekends were spectacular. lol

AEG Live set to take over Loew's in Jersey City

Posted Jun 26, 2014

By Terrence T. McDonald The Jersey Journal

AEG Live, one of the globe's largest concert promoters, is set to win a contract to take over management of the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre in Jersey City, and the firm pledges to bring "top talent" to the Journal Square theater.

A city official said AEG offered "far and away" the largest bid to run the venue, saying it would pay $350,000 annually to rent the city-owned theater for 30 years and contribute $3.5 million toward renovation of the 85-year-old former movie palace.

?

Mark Shulman, AEG's vice president and general manager, said the firm hopes to make the Loew's "a hub for the entire area." Programming should begin in late 2015, after renovations are complete, according to Schulman.

?

AEG, which will partner with New Jersey City University and Mana Contemporary to offer 40 community events annually, was competing with Live Nation, Ace Theatrical Group and local firm Catch a Rising Star.

Quote:
"FOL will have dedicated office space and is guaranteed 20+ days throughout the year to continue with it's regular programming."

Too funny (maybe not) so the FOL win for holding the Loews in limbo for 5 years was they get office space and can have 20 days of programming. Wow in the deal from 2014 AEG was going to offer 40 community events a year. Gee I wonder if the leaders of the FOL will still pull a 90k a year salary.

Posted on: 2020/6/12 17:51

Re: HISTORIC "LOEWS" THEATRE
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/14 12:32
From Badashaw
Group:
Registered Users
HAS THE CITY OF JERSEY CITY REALLY EXHAUSTED ALL AVENUES INTO FEDERAL FUNDING FOR THE HISTORIC LOEWS THEATER !!!!!!!!! JULY 31, 2016 BY AL SULLIVAN, SENIOR STAFF WRITER Loews volunteers win back $300,000 grant FULOP?S ATTEMPT TO DEFUND THEM IS REJECTED BY THE COURT For the second time in two years, a Superior Court has ruled against Jersey City in its continuing tussle with the volunteers overseeing the Historic Landmark Loew?s Theater. On July 22, Superior Court Judge Jeffrey R. Jablonski ruled that the city and the Hudson County Board of Freeholders improperly redirected a $300,000 Open Space Fund grant away from the theater to other projects. DO WE ALL REMEMBER THIS !!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2020/3/4 14:26

HISTORIC "LOEWS" THEATRE
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Badashaw
Group:
Registered Users
KEEP MAYOR STEVIE "OLE" BOY AND JERSEY CITY POLITICS OUT OF THE HISTORIC LOEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU. "TheWheelMan".

Posted on: 2020/3/4 12:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Badashaw
Group:
Registered Users
THIS PAST SATURDAY EVENING AT THE "LOEWS" WAS FANTASTIC. LARGE CROWD WITH TWO OUTSTANDING FLICKS. LETS HOPE MORE PRIVATE FUNDING STARTS COMING IN. KEEP MAYOR FULOP AND JERSEY CITY POLITICS OUT OF THE HISTORIC LOEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2020/3/2 13:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Badashaw
Group:
Registered Users
WILL BE UP IN JERSEY CITY THIS SAT EVENING FOR THE SHOWS AT THE "LOEWS". HOPE TO SEE SOME OF MY OLD FELLOW BLOGGERS THERE. THANK YOU.

"ThaWheelman."

Posted on: 2020/2/28 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Just bumping this up so we see what the deal was back in 2014. Would have been done..it is a sad state of affairs as bodhipooh said.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
AEG Live set to take over Loew's in Jersey City

Posted Jun 26, 2014
By Terrence T. McDonald The Jersey Journal

AEG Live, one of the globe's largest concert promoters, is set to win a contract to take over management of the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre in Jersey City, and the firm pledges to bring "top talent" to the Journal Square theater.

A city official said AEG offered "far and away" the largest bid to run the venue, saying it would pay $350,000 annually to rent the city-owned theater for 30 years and contribute $3.5 million toward renovation of the 85-year-old former movie palace.
?
Mark Shulman, AEG's vice president and general manager, said the firm hopes to make the Loew's "a hub for the entire area." Programming should begin in late 2015, after renovations are complete, according to Schulman.
?
AEG, which will partner with New Jersey City University and Mana Contemporary to offer 40 community events annually, was competing with Live Nation, Ace Theatrical Group and local firm Catch a Rising Star.

?

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2014/06/aeg_ ... loews_in_jersey_city.html

PS - Thanks for the info HCResident I knew it was up in Feb 2020 but didn't know what was going on.

Posted on: 2020/2/24 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
What a sad state of affairs, but not at all unexpected. I'll just quote myself below...

In any case, I know the FoL mean well, but they are NOT up to the task. Another year wasted with nothing to show for it. Really, when you think about it, Jersey City is a city of unrealized potential everywhere you look: it's not just this theater, but the Powerhouse (a crumbling facade is all that is left) is another example of so much potential that has gone unrealized. Add the pedestrian plaza (a restaurant row is great, but that plaza should be completely car-free and much more vibrant with a strong retail presence) and the DTJC waterfront (which is, sadly, mostly a no man's land on weekends, with next to nothing there to attract crowds or visitors, save for the occasional Summer event) to the list of unrealized potential. Heck, even the much vaunted LSP could also be much more.

It's all very sad and disappointing because, in the end, a lot of that unrealized potential is the result of people who mean well, or have honest to goodness intentions, but they just don't realize that their provincial way of thinking is actually holding back progress.

At some point, the City administration will have to step in and step up and just take more control over some of these matters. For now, so much around here seems hostage to the whims of local groups, NAs, NIMBYs and other groups who reject and oppose anything that involves change.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Tic-tock, tic-tock...2020 will be here before you know it.

It's sad that we have to wait another year before we can see real progress in the Loews saga. The FoL is a JOKE. Another 5 years wasted with little or no progress. We could have had something by now, but instead are stuck with a theater that continues to be in disrepair and that will likely cost much more to renovate in 2020 than it would have cost if work had started in 2014.

They [FoL] mean well, but they have shown (over and over!) that they are amateurs and not up to the task of getting the restoration or renovation completed.

Posted on: 2020/2/24 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I guess since I asked the question, I should answer it.

According to an article, on the Jersey City Times website, the FOL?s lease ends at the end of the month. The city will again begin looking for a vendor to renovate, and then operate the theater. I assume the previous agreement with Live Nation is no longer valid.

Friends of Loew?s Contract Expires Though Group to Remain Involved.

Posted on: 2020/2/24 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
An air purification system is certainly financially feasible I would think.

Posted on: 2020/2/6 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The Brooklyn renovation cost $93 million dollars, so start there. Good luck with that!

Posted on: 2020/2/4 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Has the air quality inside the theater been improved?
I'd love to return to it, but I had respiratory issues for days after my last visit.
i hope the city allows the lease to lapse so that it can bring someone who can transform the theater into something nice like kings theater in brooklyn.

Posted on: 2020/2/4 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Has the air quality inside the theater been improved?
I'd love to return to it, but I had respiratory issues for days after my last visit.

Posted on: 2020/2/4 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
So...

If my memory serves me correctly, the lease the city has with Friends of Loews comes to an end sometime this February. So far, nothing in the press about what?s to happen. Anyone heard anything?

Anyone want to make any predictions?

Posted on: 2020/2/3 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Amazing how Fulop stop the spending of funds for the FOL and the friends are blamed. It is equivalent to blaming rape victims for the crime committed against them.

Sometimes you really, really outdo yourself.
Your comment is outrageous, and heartless. I am sure if you (or, someone close to you) had ever been raped, you wouldn't make such an outlandish comment.

Yeah, that analogy was cringe-worthy. A better one would be: It's like withholding funds for much-needed repairs, and then blaming the FOL for not doing the repairs.

Wait, that's not an analogy. That's actually what happened.

Posted on: 2019/3/13 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Amazing how Fulop stop the spending of funds for the FOL and the friends are blamed. It is equivalent to blaming rape victims for the crime committed against them.

Sometimes you really, really outdo yourself.
Your comment is outrageous, and heartless. I am sure if you (or, someone close to you) had ever been raped, you wouldn't make such an outlandish comment.

Posted on: 2019/3/13 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/3/12 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Air quality in the building is horrible, but they've got an organ--sheesh.

I was there when it was a palace--long, long way to go.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HCResident wrote:

It's sad that we have to wait another year before we can see real progress in the Loews saga. The FoL is a JOKE. Another 5 years wasted with little or no progress. We could have had something by now, but instead are stuck with a theater that continues to be in disrepair and that will likely cost much more to renovate in 2020 than it would have cost if work had started in 2014.

They [FoL] mean well, but they have shown (over and over!) that they are amateurs and not up to the task of getting the restoration or renovation completed.

Posted on: 2019/3/12 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/3/12 2:28

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017