Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
31 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (dr_nick_riviera)




Re: New Amazon HQ
#1
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

What does affordable housing have to do with this? Most of these employees will be earning 100k+ salaries, I can't imagine affordable housing is high on their list of demands.


Basic economics. Dump a bunch of people into a market at any price point and it will disrupt it. Any increased demand will drive up prices throughout the price range.


Newark is already starting to undergo a building boom that will bring many more market rate units onto the market...and it's not like 100k people would be moving next year, opening a second HQ is a huge process and would likely take them several years to fully build out a new site and actually hire new people. Jersey City thankfully is building like crazy, I suspect a good many would wind up moving here instead of staying in Newark proper.

Posted on: 5/20 15:14
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

What does affordable housing have to do with this? Most of these employees will be earning 100k+ salaries, I can't imagine affordable housing is high on their list of demands.

Posted on: 5/20 13:46
Top


Re: 1800's Grammar School to be torn down in Paulus Hook
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
The Paulus Hook NA better NIMBY harder than they ever have. If they can't muster enough opposition to stop this, then they should just fucking dissolve.


And the reason this monstrosity should stay is why? Because it is old? It is not in highly visible location to the public where it could be the centerpiece of a new green space. Doubtful anyone even notices it as they walk by... and you certainly don't see it driving by on York.

As for the PHNA... where were you when they sold out to support taking down the old factory on Van Vorst and build those towers that fit so well into the neighborhood? They will risk losing their free Annual Pancake Breakfast Cafe donated by Prep. Don't count on them to join your silly preservation fight.


I don't recall the factory having any architectural value. It's an old rectangle brick building with no aesthetic qualities. That's the stuff that should be getting torn down.

Regarding PHNA, isn't that like, their fucking job to save an actual historical building in a historic district? What do these groups even stand for if they won't prevent the demolition of a historic building?

Posted on: 5/19 15:27
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is a homeless problem in all urban areas because housing that traditionally went to the poor are being used by others. In the mid-1980s, the US population was 229 million, it is now 329 million, an increase of 100 million. This is due to legal and illegal immigration. Immigrants go to cities, the reason for the homeless people in many areas.


It's because of disgusting NIMBYs like Yvonne that cities can't build enough housing to make market rates affordable to lower-middle class families, regardless of population growth.

Posted on: 5/18 22:35
Top


Re: 1800's Grammar School to be torn down in Paulus Hook
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


The Paulus Hook NA better NIMBY harder than they ever have. If they can't muster enough opposition to stop this, then they should just fucking dissolve.

Posted on: 5/18 22:16
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

oreoz wrote:
I have to say - I think the mayor botched his handling of this one. He could have announced this end result without all the in between drama and there'd probably be a lot less of it. Now he's somehow managed to piss off people from all sides. At the end it will all probably be swept under the rug (and the end result sounds like a good compromise), but it's not a good look.

But Yvonne - I'm curious as to your sudden change of position. You were one of the strongest supporters of moving the statue at the beginning of this thread, giving all sorts of reasons. Why the sudden change? Is it just because you found yourself on the same side as the mayor you despise? Seems a bit odd.


Just another example of her ability to lie and change position on literally any subject. She was for it originally because of her "only American events should get monuments" nonsense in addition to her general toxic NIMBYism (if it's not a parking garage, it's useless). She changed position and became against it after it blew up in the mayor's face and her minions started filing lawsuits. In the end, nobody will remember this whole thing in a couple of months and Yvonne will have once again been served a humiliating loss.

Posted on: 5/14 18:40
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

LOL chorus of boos. There were maybe a dozen people present, including some who tried to get violent. We get two new parks and the statue gets moved a block away.

The only reason you oppose this whole thing is probably because a few parking spaces will be lost. A humiliating defeat for Yvonne and her NIMBY allies.

Posted on: 5/14 16:53
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


What are the NA positions on this? If so many local residents are opposed to moving this, why are the NAs not making statements to the mayor as such? Or has Yvonne effectively ordered them to keep quiet?

Posted on: 5/6 15:58
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Downtown also had 17 total sales of 1-4 family homes, a 31% increase compared to the first quarter of 2017. However, Pure Properties’ latest market report shows that while more homes are for sale, prices haven’t taken a hit.


Perhaps this is why Fulop was walking back his comments on doing a second reval at a recent ward meeting?

Posted on: 5/5 15:38
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:
You are an example of a liberal who cannot take another point of view and makes personal attacks, something that is morally wrong because you have no facts.
says the lady whining about liberals that are pointing out how wrong she is. Every time someone calls you out on your BS you start crying about "wahhhh the liberals are being so mean to me" "wahhh it's because I'm a Catholic" "oooooh those mean liberals always trying to correct my lies"

You're over here complaining about statues for foreigners, and then demand we have public statues of religious symbols because there were priests on the ship with Columbus? Columbus, the foreign slave-driving psycopathic torture fanatic that never even set foot in the US?


I think we should replace the statue with a PC-friendly LGBT memorial or shrine. I bet she'll change her tune on Katyn real quick.

Posted on: 5/3 11:25
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Councilman Vazquez pushed for this monument to shore up the Polish vote in Hamilton Park and Paulus Hook. Personally, monuments should be about events in America, not another country.


If this were a Confederacy statue I bet you'd be opposed to having it removed. Yvonne is a snowflake that can't handle certain truths and resents the fact she lives in a city full of immigrants. Interesting that she's forced to take sides with a developer in order to push her NIMBY agenda.

Posted on: 5/1 18:33
Top


Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza Expansion
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Nice post El. I might point out that some of the forces like HPNA back then were actively hostile to local commerce, doing whatever they could to push out the little storefront businesses. So many storefronts were converted to condos!


Indeed, this is Yvonne and the NA's real legacy. They drove out local businesses that served many to preserve parking for few wealthy homeowners in the area. The sad thing is, now that those spaces have been turned to condos, we can never have that level of local retail in the residential neighborhoods again.

You can see that they haven't changed at all. Look at all the HCNA members that came here to gloat when they successfully forced Prato out of their space. We'll never have the version of Jersey City El and I feel most people want as long as these corrupt groups are allowed to have unchecked influence.


except....Prato is still in their space, happily doing business.


Except...they very clearly state on their website that they will be closing that location and moving to 374 4th st in the village. Presumably the space will transform into a real estate office, nail salon or daycare.

Posted on: 4/26 16:10
Top


Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza Expansion
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Nice post El. I might point out that some of the forces like HPNA back then were actively hostile to local commerce, doing whatever they could to push out the little storefront businesses. So many storefronts were converted to condos!


Indeed, this is Yvonne and the NA's real legacy. They drove out local businesses that served many to preserve parking for few wealthy homeowners in the area. The sad thing is, now that those spaces have been turned to condos, we can never have that level of local retail in the residential neighborhoods again.

You can see that they haven't changed at all. Look at all the HCNA members that came here to gloat when they successfully forced Prato out of their space. We'll never have the version of Jersey City El and I feel most people want as long as these corrupt groups are allowed to have unchecked influence.

Posted on: 4/26 13:21
Top


Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza Expansion
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


You better believe Yvonne is faxing the talking points to the neighborhood associations and is ordering her people to line up against this. This won't happen without a fight.

Posted on: 4/25 7:12
Top


Re: Legal Weed Is Coming to New Jersey
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Poll: 59% of New Jersey backs legal weed

https://newjerseyglobe.com/section-2/p ... -jersey-backs-legal-weed/

The silent majority needs to not be silent on this issue and overpower the NIMBYs trying to stop this.

Posted on: 4/20 12:57
Top


Re: (4/16/2018) Storm causes flooding across Hudson County
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

thor800 wrote:
sounds like JC got 2.5 inches yesterday mostly in the morning hours - was this the heaviest its been recently ?

A drain in my basement backed up with water, but this was the first time thats ever happened.


I think a year ago we got almost 4 inches in the span of a couple of hours. That caused much more damage than the other day. Water started backing up in my unit at that point but thankfully quickly receded. So we did have a worse storm in recent history. My place fortunately stayed dry through this last squall.

Posted on: 4/18 16:00
Top


Re: A lot more people in N.J. will be registered to vote soon.
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People in prison do not lose their rights as American citizens. But they do lose privileges. They lose the privilege of voting and participating in some businesses that require licenses. The 15th amendment was passed after slavery which gave former slaves the privilege of voting. Returning to the issue of voting, only American born citizens can run for office pass the age of 35. If it was a right then naturalize citizens regardless of the age would be eligible.


Naturalized citizens can and do run for office: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... United_States_politicians

Keep repeating your lies though, there seem to be a few on this board stupid enough to listen to you.

Posted on: 4/18 15:58
Top


Re: A lot more people in N.J. will be registered to vote soon.
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Voting is not a fundamental right, it is a privilege similar to a driver's license. It is time civics are taught in school again.


No, it's a right. Read the Constitution. It was "privilege" when only white, land owning males were allowed to vote. A citizen is not entitled to drive but is entitled to vote. Figures Yvonne would be against it, more voters means her and her nimby minions can't game elections anymore to keep their preferred community leaders in power.

Posted on: 4/18 12:54
Top


Re: Battle against the "Bayonne Box" in The Heights
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Excellent. Another blow to Yvonne’s attempts to reduce density and turn Jersey City into a suburb. Of course I’m sure she will mobilize against this and will regurgitate her lies that amything but a parking lot will destroy the city.


Every thought in your mind is about me, I didn't know you care. I can tell you - you are not on my thought list.


Of course you can’t understand that not everybody wants an ignorant know-nothing like you deciding their zoning and what they are allowed to build for them based on the fact you don’t like paying for parking or sitting in traffic.

I’d rather be called out for excessively trashing you than forcing parking lots on people and claiming you know how to plan a city better than people actually trained in this.

Posted on: 3/24 21:04
Top


Re: Battle against the "Bayonne Box" in The Heights
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Excellent. Another blow to Yvonne’s attempts to reduce density and turn Jersey City into a suburb. Of course I’m sure she will mobilize against this and will regurgitate her lies that amything but a parking lot will destroy the city.

Posted on: 3/23 20:00
Top


Re: Insurance Broker Recommendations?
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
is muller insurance in hoboken ok?


I use them, their rates were close to half of what I was quoted at other places and their claims process was fairly straightforward. I would recommend giving them a call.

Posted on: 3/23 4:05
Top


Re: Come to City Hall this upcoming Wednesday to promote electric vehicle charging in JC #EVinJC
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Well, T-Bird, could you explain the benefit of another 99 year lease for one dollar a year for a bowling alley and beer garden? That is another give-away of city property located in Liberty State Park. Personally, I do not agree that municipal government should be giving any 99 year leases for one dollar a year. After all, gas stations are in competition with these recharge stations and they pay city and state taxes. The state government imposed a 23 cent tax on gas last year to pay for repair of roads, these electric cars are also using roads and there are no payment to the road repair as with the tax on gasoline.


Ah, the typical Yvonne deflection. When proved wrong by facts, those evil things liberals obviously invented, deflect to something else to save face and find some excuse to bash the administration.

Yvonne, stick to parking lots, stop pretending you understand complicated things like complete sentences, math, and automobiles.

Posted on: 3/6 9:25
Top


Re: HAP Investments
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Eran Polack of Hap Investments, an Israel citizen and a developer of Robin Hood in Jersey City got convicted in an Israeli Court for lying about a diamond theft. He filed an insurance fraud claim that he was robbed by Africans who stole his $10 million worth of diamonds. In the meanwhile he was selling these diamonds. So Jersey City knows how to pick developers, scam artists and liars. Robin Hood is the project that got Boggiano elected as councilman for Ward C. His community does not want this project.


The person that fights against historical designation, which would protect areas in scenarios just like this, is fighting against someone coming in and changing the look and feel of a neighborhood... What a fraud.


Fraud? Well here is story in a nutshell, the community who lives there, which is not me, went to the planning board and council meetings to protest against this development. I saw them at various meetings. The proposed property is too large to be place in a neighborhood filled with one and two family homes. They are not against development, neither am I, but I don't know anywhere in JC in which the community is fine with a 42 storied building in a one and two family neighborhood. Do you know of one Pebble? For the record, neither is the present city council is in favor of this development, it was done under Healy.


The developer that purchased the property should be allowed to do whatever they want with the property. Why does it matter what the neighbors want? If the owner wants to building 42 stories or 100 stories, it doesn't matter. It is THEIR property.

... That was the argument you made while defending the dirtbag living in West Side that tried to put up aluminum siding on a historically designated property.


Don't forget, she argues against this project, but she argues the 6th St. Embankment should become condos because the property owner has the right. So she NIMBYs when convenient for her, she's super pro-development when it comes to the Embankment even though most people would prefer it become something else.

There's never any end to her lies and hypocrisy.

Posted on: 3/1 13:15
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Who's organizing this sad protest?


A low information voter on NextdoorJC.


I can't wait to see the pics afterwards of 5 old folks shivering in the rain LOL


You can be assured one of them will be Yvonne, who will mug for the TV cameras and repeat her lies over and over.

Posted on: 2/22 21:56
Top


Re: N.J. watchdog issues scathing review of Jersey City water agency - JJ
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Instead of protesting their assessments and tax figures (the number won't budge much even on a successful appeal) people would be better served putting their energy into demanding better services in exchange for their higher tax bills and an end to this kind of corruption.

Are homeowners going to be refunded any of this surplus because it sounds everybody was improperly overcharged.

Posted on: 2/21 15:05
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Taxes are services, plain and simple. My former downtown neighbors did not spend millions on their homes. Some worked two jobs to buy their homes in the 1970s and 1980s. Their tax bills are similar to their purchase prices. Everyone generalize, some were used as one family homes, others could not rent due to damage from Irene and Sandy. When people read about these big rents, everyone generalize and that is wrong. My fear is these good people will lose their homes.


And that Yvonne, as I've said before plain and simple, is economic violence. These people bought homes, raised families and were good citizens. All they wanted was to live out their lives in their city. Shame on the administration.


Yours is a very curious stand. You claim economic violence because a person that owns a property worth over a million dollars (in Yvonne's example, some of those properties are worth 2.5+ MM!) is now expected to pay their fair share of taxes, but what about the single mother, or other disadvantaged person, living in the poorer areas of JC being asked to subsidize DTJC by paying effective tax rates that are 6 - 8 times higher!? Isn't it much more heartless (and, "violent"?) to expect (demand, even!) that a poor resident continue to "overpay" so that a demonstrably richer one can continue to under pay?? Is your concept of economic violence only applicable to people you can relate to or happen to know? Definitely a very curious stand.

You really should sit out this conversation, as it is clear you do not understand what is happening. Your previous post asking for an explanation of how the rates stack up and came to be shows that you do not understand the very basics of the conversation.


If you're wondering how Yvonne's lies still manage to have staying power, look no further than someone like Rich Mauro.

Posted on: 2/15 13:47
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


[quote]
srs7191 wrote:
If they haven't assessed the entire city yet, how are they figuring these numbers? Are the new rates estimates until the entire city is complete?

I'm guessing after a certain initial (hopefully high) percentage were visited in person they were able to extrapolate some numbers just based on recent sales and comps. Unless square footage and the number of bed/bath are wildly off, they probably had enough data to do some preliminary number crunching.

Posted on: 2/13 14:31
Top


Re: Governor Murphy
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

Webmaster wrote:
WARNING: You seem to not be familiar with the definition of decorum :

decorum
d??k??r?m/noun
behaviour in keeping with good taste and propriety.
"he had acted with the utmost decorum"
synonyms: propriety, properness, seemliness, decency, decorousness, good taste, correctness, appropriateness, appropriacy; politeness, courtesy, good manners; refinement, breeding, deportment, dignity, respectability, modesty, demureness
"he had acted with the utmost decorum



Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote

That report is from 1997. You can’t find anything more recent than that? And for the second link- those people are here legally and pay taxes so I don’t know why they shouldn’t have access to those services? Going by your link selection you apparently don’t think battered spouses or refugees who are here legally should get any support? What a Christian you are. A huge portion of them are children. You’re really a terrible and inhumane person.


Why would I treat anyone who calls themselves a Christian but thinks it’s acceptable to withold support services from children and victims of domestic abuse with a shred of decorum? She’s trash.

People like her are why everyone sane has fled to reddit and doesn’t use your janky ass racist-filled website anymore.


Seriously. That woman is racist trash and I'd be calling her the same if I did have to use my real identity on this site. Her toxic NIMBYism and just plain bigotry would be called out in such a manner even in a public forum.

If you want to cut down on the personal attacks, upgrade this forum from circa 2003 software to something that requires a facebook login or at least has a real name requirement, but that ship may have already sailed with Nextdoor. I'd even wager the toxicity is the only thing drawing in traffic these days as I'm sure a lot of people just can't look away from a train wreck.

Reddit, thank god, has a much younger and less toxic crowd. You can actually get helpful answers and advice without the usual conservative trolls on this site blowing up every single thread and Yvonne probably can't figure out how to post/comment there, so that's an added bonus.

Posted on: 2/13 14:24
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Yvonne lived at 283 York St. What's amusing is that she sold at $1.18m to avoid the value drop from the the reval, less than half the current assessment of $2,477,600. That's leaving some money on the table!


The sight of all those beautiful surface parking lots being torn up was too much for her to bear, as were all the horrible glbt people moving from the city into the neighborhood. Thankfully she can't be on the VVPA board anymore and their influence is diminished after their botched lawsuit so we're finally seeing some infill projects get approved.

Posted on: 2/7 13:30
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
If anyone has advice on how to convince the city to get on, say, a 5-year schedule, let me know. ;)


Fair concern. Yvonne has made bitching and fearmongering about 88 her life work for the past 30 years. I'm just guessing, but I think a rolling reval on sales with a 10 year reval of those not sold during that decade would probably do it. 5 year would be awful expensive.

I'm reasonably confident that the revals would cost less, if the city wasn't fighting it tooth and nail. At least 1/3 of the cost was due to the canceled 2011 reval, and legal fees.


Why would there even be a need for physical assessments if we went to a 5-year system? We do it algorithmically using nearby sales and comp data with perhaps a physical assessment only being trigged in the event of a sale or 10 years, whichever comes first?

People like Yvonne wouldn't be able to game the system this way and unload their properties before an expected increase this way though, so expect lots of NIMBY and NA opposition.

Posted on: 2/5 20:01
Top



TopTop
(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017