Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
37 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 36

terrencemcd, more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (Monroe)




Re: Top Fulop allies on tape trying to steer city bid, court depositions say
#1
Home away from home
Home away from home


So who did Fulop allegedly report this to?

Posted on: 10/31 14:21
Top


Re: Corgi Spirits distillery - Jersey City
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hoping to visit Saturday as well.

Posted on: 10/31 13:46
Top


Re: Hooked JC
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Been three times, all terrific.

Posted on: 10/16 19:33
Top


Re: Today - Fifth Shooting in Five Days in JC
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Great time to shift some JC police down to Puerto Rico . . . while it's the Wild West on the streets of JC.

Posted on: 10/9 16:52
Top


Re: Body pulled from water
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

dcourts1984 wrote:
Went fishing with a buddy Sunday morning and came to a scene next to Surf City where they just pulled up a body from the harbor/marina. Young male. Cops had no idea of what happened but mentioned they pull bodies all the time from the water in the morning after nights of drinking and falling in. Havent seen any articles about it, but incredibly sad.


'All the time'? I recall a story from a year or two ago from someone who drove their car into the water near there, but I can't recall anything local like that. Happens in Hoboken in recent memory, but not JC.

Posted on: 10/2 20:20
Top


Re: World’s Best Golfers to Compete in Jersey City
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


9 people showed up to protest our President visiting the golf match today!

Posted on: 10/1 15:50
Top


Re: fresh meat and seafood
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Pampita has great stuff, but is brutally expensive. For local meat I generally try Moloney's or 22nd St Butcher shop in Bayonne.

Posted on: 9/26 9:05
Top


Re: Jersey City’s Harborside boardwalk to get $75M makeover and new food hall
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


No global warming worries here I suppose.

Posted on: 9/19 7:40
Top


Re: Come to City Hall this upcoming Wednesday to promote electric vehicle charging in JC #EVinJC
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


Gee, where does the electricity come from to charge the batteries, lol?

Posted on: 9/17 16:37
Top


Re: Come to City Hall this upcoming Wednesday to promote electric vehicle charging in JC #EVinJC
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Of course, all the 'greenies' who looooooove their ecars don't know (or care) about what goes into the batteries without which the cars wouldn't exist.

The same Hollywood elite who recoil over the thought of a 'blood diamond' don't seem to care about the children working in the cobalt mines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphic ... -for-lithium-ion-battery/

Posted on: 9/17 15:08
Top


Re: Flim-Flam Florio is back-and wants your wallet
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


A ten family apartment building should be paying much more in tax than what you say, and likely will after a reval.

And yes, total tax and tax rate are different, of course. My point from your first suggestion was that suburban/wealthy homeowners are already paying a type of 'luxury' tax annually on their homes, because they get so shortchanged in school support from Trenton.

Posted on: 9/16 17:29
Top


Re: Flim-Flam Florio is back-and wants your wallet
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


2017 Municipal portion of Millburn taxes was a shade over $5,000-the other over $15,000 went to the schools and a bit to Essex County. As I recall only a couple thousand goes to Essex County, so probably $12,000 goes to the schools. If Millburn got back 50% of school funding the annual total taxes would drop 30%.

Quite the deal for the Abbott district homeowners.

Posted on: 9/16 16:37
Top


Re: Flim-Flam Florio is back-and wants your wallet
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


I'm not sure what the average tax in JC is-is it over 20K? Considering JC pays such a tiny faction of the largest component of any towns budget, let alone fund anyone else's, I'd bet it's not.

And Millburn/Short Hills has a billion dollar ratable in the Mall, not to mention other corporate HQ's (Dun and Bradstreet), the expensive Hilton-and even with those ratables the taxes are the highest in the state. (Wait, one town with 5 houses I think pays more, don't want to get called on that!)

Posted on: 9/16 16:23
Top


Re: Flim-Flam Florio is back-and wants your wallet
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


1) I'd love to see the numbers on how this would work.

2) Again, places like Short Hills pay much more because they're carrying the burden of paying for Abbott schools. 900 million/year for Newark, 400 million a year for JC, 230 million a year for East Orange, 24 million a year for Hoboken, 68 million a year for Asbury Park, 290 million a year for Camden. The suburbs pay higher taxes than they should because of this. Not to mention the big urban cities are often a cesspool of corruption.

Posted on: 9/16 14:41
Top


Re: New York Times: Is New York’s Best Pizza in New Jersey?
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


The pizza and food at Dan's first restaurant, Arturo's in the People's Republic of Maplewood, is almost as good-not far by car or rail, but often a wait there as well.

Posted on: 9/16 8:49
Top


Re: Flim-Flam Florio is back-and wants your wallet
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Suburban residents are severely overtaxed in NJ because they support Abbott districts. In Millburn, the average real estate tax is over $20,000. Why? Because it gets only $2,252 per student from Trenton. Jersey City gets (wait for it) $18,466 per student. Each year, every year. Plus free preK.

So saying that wealthy suburban taxpayers should pay more-well, no. They already pay for their own schools and most of yours.

Posted on: 9/16 7:55
Top


Re: Flim-Flam Florio is back-and wants your wallet
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... ee.html#incart_river_home

He was a one term Governor because he didn't have a tax increase he didn't adore, now he wants to privatize more of our highways, tax drivers by the amount of miles they drive (can you think of a more regressive tax?), put tolls on our interstates (which the Feds would then drop any funding of them), and in general just screw everyone in NJ who drives a car or buys anything delivered by truck?


Names and nasty rhetoric are fun, more fun than real issues. The reason for a mileage tax is that the gas tax is an even worse way, with those wealthy enough to buy a Prius taxed far less to use the roads than someone who can only afford a gas guzzler. Sure there's a whole argument to discourage gas guzzlers, but the disincentive is right there in the name.

If you really interested in progressive taxation, great! Lets get rid of everything but property and income tax and increase those on the wealthy to make up for it. I'd love to see a RE tax scaled based on percentile of home values. So if your $10m home is in the 95 percentile you pay a higher rate than a home in the 25th.


For the most part (minus the wealthy who own expensive homes in Abbott districts), which is why someone owning a brownstone on VVP pays a pittance compared to someone with a home of equal value in, say, Short Hills. 17% vs 89% funding of your local schools is just that-wealthy suburban homeowners pay a ton more taxes because the state gives them so little back for education.

Posted on: 9/15 18:59
Top


Re: Flim-Flam Florio is back-and wants your wallet
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


I didn't coin this one, nor the Torch for Torricelli.

'Flim Flam' was a common descriptive, as he said 'You can write this down, no new taxes' then ran through a 2.8 billion dollar tax increase (a US record) and further raided the pension funds (he was the first to do so) for 3 BILLION DOLLARS over two years. We're still paying for this, compounded over the 25 years since.

Posted on: 9/15 17:16
Top


Re: "a guide to jersey city coffee shops"
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

animalrelated wrote:
1. If I see you trying to push a double wide stroller into a tiny coffee shop I will call you out. Especially when your kid is clearly old enough to walk.
2. Do you understand the environmental damage getting a to go cup of coffee everyday with a straw does?? What the hell are you doing that is so important that you can't sit down and drink it in a real cup. An espresso in a to go cup with a lid??? It's like two sips!!


The double wide stroller fad is SUPER annoying. Just a couple of weeks ago, two clueless mommies, each pushing double wide strollers, were walking next to each other and taking up the entire width of the path in the Hoboken area over by the soccer fields, and they were huffing and puffing about runners and walkers asking them to please squeeze it in to make room for others. The entitled attitude of some people is beyond ridiculous.


Dollars to donuts they either came from, or were going south and were using the bike path to push the strollers!

Posted on: 9/15 14:22
Top


Flim-Flam Florio is back-and wants your wallet
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... ee.html#incart_river_home

He was a one term Governor because he didn't have a tax increase he didn't adore, now he wants to privatize more of our highways, tax drivers by the amount of miles they drive (can you think of a more regressive tax?), put tolls on our interstates (which the Feds would then drop any funding of them), and in general just screw everyone in NJ who drives a car or buys anything delivered by truck?

Posted on: 9/14 14:39
Top


Re: Cop protest escalates feud between Jersey City police union, mayor
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Stevie made it look like things were hunky dory with JC cops in his silly campaign video.

Posted on: 9/14 13:51
Top


Re: "a guide to jersey city coffee shops"
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

fraulein wrote:
Dames and ModCup are missing. Fail.


She did list Dames, but didn't mention that Grind had Donut Plant donuts on the weekends. And she's complaining about needing cash at Dames because babies rip cash and choke on coins? We had generations of kids who survived without parents using plastic-just sayin.

Posted on: 9/14 13:42
Top


Re: U.S. Sen. Menendez - new federal investigation
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Why are we paying Booker to represent us in Washington, when he spends the day supporting Menendez in the courtroom in Newark? Disgusting corrupt Democrats having each others back.

Posted on: 9/7 8:01
Top


Re: U.S. Sen. Menendez - new federal investigation
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


The irony that our Governor may get a chance to appoint a new Senator to replace one on trial for corruption, while he was never charged and was exonerated at every level of phony accusations, is amusing.

Posted on: 9/6 15:50
Top


Re: Real butcher
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


I have to amend my last post, apparently LaFrieda now is a supplier to Peter Luger's, they must've kissed and made up.

Posted on: 8/24 10:43
Top


Re: Real butcher
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


I'd say 'many' rather than 'most'. JC is home to another major supplier of top quality of beef, DeBragga and Spitler. And NYC top steakhouse, Peter Luger, doesn't buy from LaFrieda-LaFrieda wont sell to them, since they prefer to use several different vendors and that pissed off LaFrieda!

Posted on: 8/24 9:59
Top


Re: Real butcher
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Ditto on the Pampita prices, crazy high. The stuff is good, mind you, and it's spotless inside. Their salsa verde rocks too.

Posted on: 8/23 19:19
Top


Re: the factory in berrgen lafayette
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Other than the awful signage the building and interior is amazing. The menu (and website) is a hilarious hodgepodge of bad spelling and syntax.

We went very early, and most of the staff is very, very raw. The food was quite good, but most of the items are priced beyond what the neighborhood norm is. If they massage the menu, put in some less expensive items, and get the staff whipped into shape it'll be a nice addition. I think it's going to end up as a late night lounge, mostly.

Posted on: 8/22 8:16
Top


Re: Whitlock Cordage Interrupted?
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home



Posted on: 8/22 7:16
Top


Re: Confederate Flag added to Liberty State Park
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


The British flag honors the caste system that is the monarchy! Take down the Hawaiian flag! We shouldn't honor a system where you have to bow or curtsy to a monarch!

Posted on: 8/16 14:37
Top



TopTop
(1) 2 3 4 ... 137 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017