Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
49 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 49

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (HCResident)




Re: Police Dept. adds to the force new faces.
#1
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

buddyboy wrote:
Fulop diversified the police department so he can pay minority
officers lower wages, give them less vacation and time off, no
awards for heroic actions, and made them pay more for health benefits.
Fulop is such a great Mayor. Maybe more police departments can learn
how to deprive minorities the working conditions enjoyed by the
privileged white officers.


Aren't the police unionized? If I'm correct that they are, their contract sets their starting salary. And the post above is absolute malarkey.

Posted on: 2017/12/4 19:08
Top


Re: Hyatt House at Exchange Place
#2
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


I remember when it occurred. I guess I didn't realize, at the time, that it was the big ceiling.

No matter the cause, still sad.

Posted on: 2017/12/3 11:20
Top


Re: Hyatt House at Exchange Place
#3
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


So I walked into the new Hyatt House, at 1 Exchange Place, today hoping that my suspicions wouldn't be proven true. Unfortunately, they were.

Let me explain.

I moved to Jersey City in the summer of 2000. At that time, I was living on Essex St, in Paulus Hook. In 2011, we bought a place in Harsimous Cove. But this was our second home buying experience, after having purchased our first place at a second location in Paulus Hook.

I was very active in the Paulus Hook neighborhood. I actually served the HPHA Board of Directors for a couple of years. I was most active in the areas of development and construction. I chose thes areas because I have always had a love of architecture, especially historical architecture.

During the time I lived in Paulus Hook, there was always a bank on the ground floor of 1 Exchange Place. I actually don't recall what bank it was, because it wasn't our bank. None the less, I would make it a point to go into that bank, on occasion, simply because of the beauty of the lobby.

What impressed me the most about it was both the height of the space, and the beautifully ornate plaster ceiling. Having had worked in hotels for many years, I always thought that the space would make a wonderful banquet hall (much like Ciprianni on 42nd St. in Manhattan), or an elaborate hotel lobby which was the likes of something like The Palmer House in Chicago. (Look it up, its stunning.)

So when it was announced that a hotel was coming to the location, I was psyched. I thought, "I can't wait to see how they utilize this beautiful, and historic, space. I imagined it becoming a go to destination for weddings, as who who wouldn't want to get married in such a grand location?

Then, as they were announcing the start of construction, I noticed in pictures, in places like The Jersey Journal, that they seemed to have really gutted the place. But you couldn't really tell where in the building the pictures were taken. So I held out hope that they certainly wouldn't have simply ripped all that history and craftsmanship out...would they?

From what I could see today, although I couldn't venture all that far in, they had removed it. It made me sad.

I'm not one of these people that think I have the right to dictate what people do with their property (within the bounds of the law). I know they were perfectly within their right to alter the interior as they saw fit. I just personally find it sad to see a piece of Jersey City's history gone forever.

They don't make these things anymore. They're expensive. They require maintenance. But they don't make them anymore. And now something that was rare, and irreplaceable, is gone.

I still think it would have been an asset to the hotel. But what do I know? I wasn't making the decisions...obviously.

Posted on: 2017/12/1 0:11
Top


Re: Symes and her machine forcing the City to Endorse Her
#4
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
That's simply not true. Rebecca is unequivicolly Steve's pick, but it's the only ward that may go to a run off, and Steve couldn't risk picking a losing candidate. Hence why his endorsement isn't coming until the runoff.


Prove that. Show us why you use the term "unequivocally". You must have some pretty solid evidence to use such an unequivocal term.


It's called a proxy

#moxie


Well that certainly closed the door on that. I asked for definitive proof, and you sure delivered...not.

Posted on: 10/20 9:26
Top


Re: Symes and her machine forcing the City to Endorse Her
#5
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
That's simply not true. Rebecca is unequivicolly Steve's pick, but it's the only ward that may go to a run off, and Steve couldn't risk picking a losing candidate. Hence why his endorsement isn't coming until the runoff.


Prove that. Show us why you use the term "unequivocally". You must have some pretty solid evidence to use such an unequivocal term.

Posted on: 10/19 14:00
Top


Re: Dixon Leasing Cheating JC out of Taxes with the help of Rebecca Sysmes
#6
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

rcjcinsider wrote:
It's sad that some people don't see anything WRONG with an in HOUSE attorney for a DEVELOPER run for City Council and of course Mayor NEXT. Rebecca as her ROLE as In house Council for dixon (which I GET WAS her JOB) orchestrated the PAC Money, orchestrated the Tax Cheat, and put her weight behind it. Unless somehow people think a bunch of frat boys from Australia know the inner dealings JC City politics.

It's cool to do that. Dixon is certainly not alone. But don't give us a SOB story about how you fought for the little guy when you run for City Council. It's the same as if Tommy Bertolli were to claim he represents the little home owners of JC and is against developers. Is anybody fucking home?



Well it might be that there is nothing wrong with it. It's a democracy, so if she wants to run, she can. We, as voters, get to decide if we're ok with it or not, through our votes.

Everyone has different opinions and values when it comes to these things. Yours are yours, and everyone else's is his or hers. The outcome will indicate where people fall.

Personally, I can't stand that at election time, we suddenly get bombarded with a bunch of negative posts from people who obviously just signed up for this site. There's nothing wrong with that either. It's just I find it suspect, and annoying.

Posted on: 10/18 15:52
Top


Re: Building Management Failed to Disclose Parking Restriction and Violated Ordinance 257-6
#7
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


It seems you have two optiosn, sue the landlord or don't sign a renewal and find another place. I don't know if the law quires landlords to disclose the parking ordinances, but maybe the threat of suing, or leaving could get you free parking, or a rent reduction to offset the cost of parking.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. It's just that you have to be prepared to walk away.

It sucks that the city screwed up, but at least it was in your favor for five years.

Posted on: 10/18 15:43
Top


Re: Top Fulop allies on tape trying to steer city bid, court depositions say
#8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

So, you're essentially saying you're ok with corruption, as long as the right thing was done after people were caught? But, that those who were caught shouldn't be reprimanded because they eventually did the right thing and didn't get the chance to follow through? Solid way of holding your public officials accountable. Councilman Fulop would strongly disagree with your assessment on this.


I'm not saying the two people in the conversation weren't talking about something they shouldn't have been. Maybe they were up to no good. But no one is making hay about this situation as a way of getting them out of powerful positions. This is all aimed at the mayor. And the fact seems to be that overall, the administration did the right thing, without having to be shamed into doing it. Isn't that what we all want?

Corruption looks like a mayor, and his many of his allies and aids, showing up at a diner to be handed envelopes of cash. It's just that particular mayor was legally savvy enough to let everyone around him take the fall, while he walked away scott free. And now that mayor's general council wishes to be mayor.

Funny thing is, you all want to paint Fulop as a crook because two of his staffers appeared to have a conversation that didn't follow ethical standards, even though nothing was followed through with because more level heads in the administration put a stop to it. Yet we're all supposed to vote for a former high ranking staffer of a guy who took bribes, but did so in a way that he didn't personally pay a price.

The hipocrisy in all this is amazing.

Quote:

Ummmm...yeah, that's why we're asking to release the tape and any other information available, so we can make that determination with all available information. What part of this are you incapable of understanding? You're essentially saying "get over it because we don't know enough, but you shouldn't be allowed access to more information to make that determination." Circular logic much?


Say you overhear two of your children talking about plans they have to shoplift from the local market. Let's say they were stupid enough to video it (not so far fetched with kids in this day and age). You stop them from doing it. Maybe you don't throw a fit. Maybe you don't ground them. Maybe you just talk to them.

Should we consider your kids thieves? Are you a crook too? Should you be forced to make the tape public because you've prided yourself on being an upstanding citizen?

Even though your kids never followed through, because you did the right thing, shouldn't we label them, and you, as dishonest from here on out, based off your logic?

Quote:
No doubt I'm new to this site. I noticed a poster here (neverleft), who frequently posts spin material/obsessive rants for Steve on nj.com (as Sound Machine), and was heavily posting misinformation here, so I got caught up in this thread. Make no mistake, I have no affiliation with any campaign or civic group, etc., and think we're screwed either way.

I also respect your view against political grandstanding, I truly do because it's annoying. It doesn't mean Steve shouldn't be transparent per his campaign pledge. If there's nothing bad on the tapes (which I actually believe), just release them and explain. Hold a press conference. That's the right thing to do.


If this were truly a scandal, I'd be all in. Had the administration followed through on fixing a bid, or only blocked it because they got caught, then there would be smoke and fire. But I don't see it here. Maybe new info will come out and I will change my mind. But it's not going to be based off just what I "believe" is happening.

Asking for this tape to be released is nothing more than trying to get political dirt out there. Taken out of context, anything can look bad. And what's on the tape may very well be bad, but it's not an indictment of the mayor, because his administration seems to have done what it was supposed to do. The tape serves only to bury that fact.

Posted on: 10/16 19:04
Top


Re: Top Fulop allies on tape trying to steer city bid, court depositions say
#9
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:
The scandal is that the mayor knew of such illicit behavior and didn't even reprimand those involved. Quite frankly, those involved shouldn't have retained their jobs so high up in the administration. At the very minimum, it shows the mayor's indifference to the very corruption he purports to be against, and at worst, it shows gross negligence.

And again, if there's nothing to hide...release the damn tapes.

Here's my prediction: there's nothing of substance on the tapes. Steve will release right before the election and say "see? All political posturing" which, of course, is itself political posturing.

Someone said it before, councilman Fulop would have been ALL OVER this behavior. Mayor Fulop? Well, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.


Wait, how do you know the mayor didn't reprimand them? Where you there? Because it wasn't a public shaming, it didn't happen?

Neither of us know for sure, but you certainly seem to present it as if you do.

As for the tape, I wouldn't release it either. It's out of context. It's only showing a small portion of the entire situation - and just the negative portion at that.

But again, the outcome was that the right thing was done in the end. And it was done so before any of this became public knowledge.

So taking conjecture out of the equation, because none of us are privy to all the facts and all we have to go on we're the outcomes, what is the scandal when it comes to the mayor? I don't see it.

What I do see, however, is someone with roughly 14 posts in total coming on to a site, that is years old, at election time, and posting about a scandal, all the while leaving out pertinent information. Hmmmmm.

Posted on: 10/16 10:57
Top


Re: Top Fulop allies on tape trying to steer city bid, court depositions say
#10
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


I'll admit, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to this story. Beyond what's been written in this thread, I haven't read a whole lot about it. From what's been posted here, I will admit it sounded fishy on the part of the administration.

But then today, I read an article about this situation in the Hudson Reporter. And lo and behold, I find the people here, raising all the stink, have left out some very important details.

It's funny how no one has mentioned that the administration recognized that the bidding had been compromised, and cancelled the bid. That means that they did the right thing. So where is the scandal? How does this tarnish the mayor, or his administration?

And the defense can't just be resorting to calling me a shill for the mayor. I don't work for the city. I don't work for the campaign. I've given no donations to the mayor, or any candidates in JC.

I know Steve, but our relationship would be described, at best, as aquaintences who met through a neighborhood association nearly a decade ago. I'm relatively close to one council person, but she isn't even running again. My point is, beyond being a ordinary citizen who votes, I don't have a dog in this fight.

But I know hyperbole when I see it. So unless someone can explain to me what I'm missing, this seems to be nothing but political gamesmanship.
.

Posted on: 10/15 23:33
Top


Re: Dixon Redevelopment Plan
#11
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Yvonne,

This doesn't even begin to explain what the city is doing. You've mentioned transferring of property a couple of times. Transferring property to who? Is the city giving property away?

What are you talking about? I can't agree, or disagree, when I can't begin to comprehend what is happening. Since you started this thread, I kind of need your help in understanding it.

What exactly is it you are saying the city is doing? And why are they doing it?

Thanks.

Posted on: 10/12 20:13
Top


Re: Dixon Redevelopment Plan
#12
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


What exactly is your issue with it? You seem to be familiar wth what the plans are, but most of us probably aren't. If you want us on your side, it would be helpful for us to know what we're talking about.

I'm not being snarky. I am truly asking you to elaborate.

Posted on: 10/12 18:38
Top


Re: window replacement - historic district
#13
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


No. You cannot assume you're ok. You have to go through the process. Even if you think you've found windows that are "close enough", they could force you to remove them if they don't deem them proper. That's even after you install them.

It's best to just bite the bullet and do it the correct way from the start. It may seem like a hassle, but you'll likely create a larger hassle by not following the regulations.

That's my two cents.

Posted on: 7/11 16:03
Top


Yoga - Downtown JC
#14
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


I Did yoga on a regular basis years ago in the city and loved it. Unfortunately, I broke the habit and stopped taking classes. I keep saying I want to get back into it, and never have, so I'm finally putting my money where my mouth is.

The classes I loved in the city are no longer available. Plus, I'd like to keep it closer to home.

Anyone have recommendations for classes they love in downtown JC? I tried Yoga Shunya a few years ago. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.

What are all of your favorite yoga places?


Posted on: 4/20 11:19
Top


Re: Candice Osborne running, Not running, running, Not running,
#15
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


According to the linked article, she is. Also, she held a re-election fundraiser in November.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _seeking_re-election.html

Posted on: 4/11 20:09
Top


Re: St. Anthony's High School is Closing
#16
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
How is doing a fundraiser is using taxpayers' dollars? It is not. The school closed because there are now more charter high schools in Jersey City. That means no tuition. That also means more students that would go to Catholic schools are now in a public insititution that taxpayers support.
Recently, the city gave land perhaps valued at $100 to $200 million to a private institution for a science center. It will probably receive Redevelopment funds, too. The mayor supports what he wants to support but St. Anthony HS did bring pride to JC without the use of taxpayers dollars. It was worth saving.


It's called separation of church and state Yvonne. We, the taxpayers, aren't supposed to be worrying about whether a Catholic school survives or not. It's a private matter, and it's their business.

And as for a city sponsored fundraiser, those things don't just happen magically. It takes time and effort to put them on. That would be tax payer dollars to pay city workers to organize and run it for a religious institution.


Neither should we worry about a private entity called the Liberty Science Center. Taxpayers should not be on the hook to give them land. As it is, the Science Center does not pay anything to the city because it is tax exempt, too. So why should the city be giving a private organization land?


Well going with your argument, two wrongs don't make a right. But this is something you value, so it's different rules I guess.

Posted on: 4/5 20:58
Top


Re: St. Anthony's High School is Closing
#17
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
How is doing a fundraiser is using taxpayers' dollars? It is not. The school closed because there are now more charter high schools in Jersey City. That means no tuition. That also means more students that would go to Catholic schools are now in a public insititution that taxpayers support.
Recently, the city gave land perhaps valued at $100 to $200 million to a private institution for a science center. It will probably receive Redevelopment funds, too. The mayor supports what he wants to support but St. Anthony HS did bring pride to JC without the use of taxpayers dollars. It was worth saving.


It's called separation of church and state Yvonne. We, the taxpayers, aren't supposed to be worrying about whether a Catholic school survives or not. It's a private matter, and it's their business.

And as for a city sponsored fundraiser, those things don't just happen magically. It takes time and effort to put them on. That would be tax payer dollars to pay city workers to organize and run it for a religious institution.

Posted on: 4/5 20:09
Top


Re: St. Anthony's High School is Closing
#18
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city could have had fundraisers for the school. It could have asked developers to contribute to this school. St. Anthony was a positive school and was worth saving. I have seen a Showtime video on this school that went nationwide. This was an unique institution.


This is not a tax payer funded institution. As a matter of fact, it's tax exempt. And you, who drones on and on about tax fairness, shouldn't be expecting the city government to spend a dime organizing for something that is not paying its fair share.

Even if I thought they should, which I don't, I would still say the exact same thing to you, given your stance on tax dollars.

Let's show some consistency here.

Posted on: 4/5 19:26
Top


Re: St. Anthony's High School is Closing
#19
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Doesn't Fulop call himself a progressive?

Guess that's limited to passing meaningless gestures, like mandating that every city building have gender neutral bathrooms. Making substantive contributions towards his ostensible cause, like saving this school because it would tremendously benefit underprivileged youth (or even trying to drum up fundraising support), is apparently too much to ask.


And how do you propose the city government go about saving a private religious institution? I see your posts. Many seem to be of the right of center, market rules variety. Now you want the government involved?

SMH


It's about priorities. Mandating that all city buildings have gender neutral bathrooms is grandstanding, a complete waste of money, and accomplishes absolutely nothing.

That money would be much better spent trying to save this school, and to help the underprivileged youth make something of themselves and stay off the streets. And as I said, the least the guy could do is try and gin up support for fundraising.

It's the difference between caring about looking good vs. actually doing good.


Dude, it's a private institution. This is not a public school. The market forces have spoken. Enrollment is dropping, thus it can no longer support itself.

If it's that damn important to you, then get a bunch of people together and raise funds for it. Or ask the Catholic Church to support it. The larger Church has plenty of money. But government should not be involved in a private, religious institution.

Live by your rules, die by them. Don't flip flop because it's suddenly something you value.

Posted on: 4/5 19:20
Top


Re: St. Anthony's High School is Closing
#20
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Doesn't Fulop call himself a progressive?

Guess that's limited to passing meaningless gestures, like mandating that every city building have gender neutral bathrooms. Making substantive contributions towards his ostensible cause, like saving this school because it would tremendously benefit underprivileged youth (or even trying to drum up fundraising support), is apparently too much to ask.


And how do you propose the city government go about saving a private religious institution? I see your posts. Many seem to be of the right of center, market rules variety. Now you want the government involved?

SMH

Posted on: 4/5 18:39
Top


Re: Fulop: Trump’s proposed budget would cost Jersey City $9.6M in HUD funding
#21
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Hmmm so Trump gains $183 million in taxpayer money for the necessary expense of keeping Melania away from him and we get....budget cuts that don't even total that obscene amount and cuts tons of funding from people who aren't millionaires and actually need it?

Get some self esteem Monroe- even you should realize you deserve better than this.


Give me a break, do you want to break down every cost for every POTUS and their families? Right now, Obama is sunning himself on a private island in Tahiti-for a month-with Secret Service protection-an island with one hotel, where rooms start at $2K a night. Michelle is god knows where getting protection, as are both kids, one in DC and the other in NY.

How much is that costing us? Obama just signed a $60 million dollar book deal, and we're paying for SS protection at each of his three US residences to boot-should he kick some cash in?

And Obama's policies DOUBLED OUR FREAKING NATIONAL DEBT, and you're obsessed with the First Lady and child getting protection? If you can't get a grip, go buy one.


http://www.crfb.org/blogs/has-preside ... ama-doubled-national-debt

Posted on: 3/18 14:26
Top


Re: Jersey City mayor-elect orders end to citywide reval
#22
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Fulop smeared Brian O'Reilly's reputation accusing him of rigging the process. During the court proceedings, city workers said Brian O' Reilly was not part of the process. Now there is someone who is part of the process. O'Donnell receives contracts from the city, is on the team to pick the company and then chooses a company from his building. Ironically, we are still spending city money going after the reval company picked under Healy.


Where in the article does it equivocally state that O'Donnell is connected to the Reval company?

I'm not defending the current administration. If there is a connection, there is a connection. But Michael Yun insinuating that there might be a connection is not the same as proof that there is one.

So do you have information the rest of us don't?

Posted on: 2016/9/16 14:51
Top


Re: The Draper
#23
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Is The Draper for sale?

This extremely confusing Trulia listing suggests that you can buy the location and the liquor license for $550k. Then again, they also have it listed as a condo...

$550k also seems super cheap given some of the discussions on other threads about how much it costs to obtain a new one in this town and how much Guillo's wants for his...


I was walking down York St. in the last couple of weeks and saw a sign on the street about the restaurant/liquor license for sale. It seemed to be for Lisbon Restaurant.

I can't say that's certain, but it's certainly how it appeared to me.

Posted on: 2016/5/10 22:27
Top


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#24
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"The only reason Yvonne is even posting this is because Abbey is trying to make this out to be a Fulop thing"
I guess, you missed this. It is the reason I made my comments.


I remember it from when I wrote it. I can't make sense of your comment about the sky and potholes, but that's ok. Do you think Fulop has something to do with the situation?


I am not clairvoyant, I do not know.


So what was the purpose of posting it in the first place? Do you truly care about Abby's Pub?

The problem is that you are always complaining about something the mayor has or hasn't done. And you choose to post this video, where some guy is criticizing the mayor.

I'm not clairvoyant either, but if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Posted on: 2015/2/27 22:58
Top


Re: Carrino Provisions
#25
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


I've been in a couple of times now and, although I am pleased with it overall, I wish they were a bit more of a modern and upscale version of Andrea Salumeria up on Central Avenue.

I love Andrea's. I love the whole old world feel of it, and all of the different things to choose from (the fresh mozzarella knots are to die for).

And although I realize it's impossible to recreate the feel of a business that has probably been around forever, Carrino Provisions could very well emulate the very best aspects of it.

I wish them luck, and I will likely shop there on occasion, but for my taste, the selection is a bit too sparse; meaning there is not enough there to keep me coming back on a regular basis.

That's just my two cents though.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 16:29
Top


Re: High-rise development at Metro Plaza (Shoprite, BJs, Pepboys)
#26
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


OMG...calm down people. As I said in a previous post, I was at the presentation the developers did for PADNA. The developers want a grocery store to be part of the overall development. They even went as far as saying they plan on working with Shoprite to keep them there.

Their plan is to include a space large enough for Shoprite (or some other grocer, if Shoprite doesn't wish to stay) in one of the earlier stages of the development. As I also said in the afore mentioned previous post, parking is included in these new buildings, thus there would likely be parking for the grocery store, but in a structure vs. a parking lot. It's probably going to be a lot like Morton's in Newport.

It's not "all or nothing". The city is very likely moving in the direction of having less need for an automobile, but it's not going to happen overnight. For all that JC has changed, we are still in our relative infancy of our renaissance. And for now, at least, I would guess developments will still be planned more weighted towards life as it currently is, and little by little, things will shift more towards a NYC model as space becomes more of a premium, and demographics change.

Barring something catastrophic, or if the economy tanks again sometime soon, change is coming, like it or not, relatively soon. It's starting downtown, and to some extent Journal Square, and it will gradually expand outward.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 16:14
Top


Re: High-rise development at Metro Plaza (Shoprite, BJs, Pepboys)
#27
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


OMG...calm down people. As I said in a previous post, I as at the presentation the developers did for PADNA. the developers want a grocery store to be part of the overall development. They even went as far as saying they plan on working with Shoprite to keep them there.

Their plan is to include a space large enough for Shoprite (or some other grocer, if Shoprite doesn't wish to stay) in one of the earlier stages of the development. As I also said in the afore mentioned previous post, parking is included in these new buildings, thus there would likely be parking for the grocery store, but in a structure vs. a parking lot. It's probably going to be a lot like Morton's in Newport.

It's not "all or nothing". The city is very likely moving in the direction of having less need for an automobile, but it's not going to happen overnight. For all that JC has changed, we are still in our relative infancy of our renaissance. And for now, at least, I would guess developments will still be planned more weighted towards life as it currently is, and little by little, things will shift more towards a NYC model as space becomes more of a premium, and demographics change.

Barring something catastrophic, or if the economy tanks again sometime soon, change is coming, like it or not, relatively soon. It's starting downtown, and to zone extent Journal Square, it it will gradually expand.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 16:13
Top


Re: High-rise development at Metro Plaza (Shoprite, BJs, Pepboys)
#28
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Thank goodness there is no parking incorporated into the proposed master plan - it would destroy any effort in re-urbanizing the area.

I'm actually surprised at the positioning of "preservation of Shoprite" as some sort of victory - a large scale market in the development would be almost necessary, yes, but doesn't the area deserve higher quality than SR? I'm not a huge hater of ShopRite, but if we're revamping that whole plot of land, can't we shoot for a higher caliber market?

All in all, the proposed plan seems pretty solid though.


Who said there is no parking in this plan? I was at the public presentation given by the developers, and I'm pretty sure all (or the majority) of these buildings have parking in them. It's just that the parking structures have to be concealed so that the buildings don't look like the typical JC towers sprouting from a parking deck. It's sort of the 225 Grand model, where the parking is built in and behind the facade.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 0:08
Top


Re: Massive Edgewater fire
#29
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Wasn't this the same complex that was completely destroyed by fire while it was still under construction? If so, that was also a raging inferno.

Posted on: 2015/1/21 23:56
Top


Re: anybody else noticing an influx of parking tix?
#30
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


I'm perfectly fine with it (and yes, we have a car.) I'm tired of watching my neighbors park in front of the fire hydrant in front of our house. I know parking is tough, but safety comes first. I'm with fat-ass-bike, driving is a privilege, not a right.

Posted on: 2014/12/21 17:40
Top



TopTop
(1) 2 3 4 5 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017