Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hudson Cinemas closed?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It's crazy that there's no Walmart on SI or anywhere in NYC. Amazing that the community boards can keep them out. So I guess if their heart is set on Walmart, paying the $6.88 toll S Islanders get as a political bribe might be worth it.

Posted on: 2020/1/25 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Why would a Staten Islander come here and pay a toll when they have their own?

I don?t think they would come to NJ just for Costco, but for some people it could be part of an errand day, when they could be hitting up Walmart, Costco, and loading up in gas. Maybe even shopping for clothes or shoes further out. Gas savings alone would cover the toll. People do weird things with their time. I wouldn?t drive from SI to Bayonne for Walmart and gasoline, but lots of people obviously do, and this Costco is about a mile or less from that Walmart, and it has a Costco gasoline station.

Posted on: 2020/1/25 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I am sure that was part of it, and they probably also figured they would get people from JC, and Staten Island. According to someone I once met that works at the Walmart down the road, on weekends they get lots of people from SI who cross into NJ to shop and load up in gas.

But, that's the thing: I have been in the Bayonne Costco mid-week, and weekends, mornings, afternoons, and evenings, and never seen it crowded. The most people I ever saw there was less than half the crowd you would normally see in Teterboro or Clifton. To be quite honest, I much prefer it that way: it makes for a more pleasant experience, and also makes it possible to get in and out quickly if you are in a hurry. But, it is definitely surprising how empty it is in there regularly. It is unlike any other Costco I have ever visited.

Why would a Staten Islander come here and pay a toll when they have their own? Teterboro is in a class by itself, I've never been there when it was anything but packed. But the low volume at Bayonne has already had effects, they stopped carrying fresh kosher beef because it wasn't moving, and the frozen was discounted my last trip so maybe that's gone now too. If the fresh kosher chicken stays I'll be surprised. I do wonder how many of the whole frozen Halal lambs they sell.

Posted on: 2020/1/24 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The best thing that has happened to Bayonne is the Costco opening. Surprisingly, it is never as crowded as you would think.

Yeah, I think they miscalculated: cheap land and a suburban style store vs more customers. Had they built an urban style store Downtown like the one in Red Hook, or like the HD, they'd have had a lot more wealthy customers within a short distance.

These big national chains have bean counters that look at the high land cost or rent in dense areas and veto it without seriously taking customer density into account. Years ago before they opened Jersey stores I contacted Harbor Freight and suggested they open one on 440. That's between 2 cities of 250k each. Their response was they don't open stores with that high rents, even though they had stores in little towns of 30k out west. They simply could not wrap their heads around the hugely larger customer base per store.

Or simply they wanted to tap into the thousands of cars that travel past that very spot each day!

I am sure that was part of it, and they probably also figured they would get people from JC, and Staten Island. According to someone I once met that works at the Walmart down the road, on weekends they get lots of people from SI who cross into NJ to shop and load up in gas.

But, that's the thing: I have been in the Bayonne Costco mid-week, and weekends, mornings, afternoons, and evenings, and never seen it crowded. The most people I ever saw there was less than half the crowd you would normally see in Teterboro or Clifton. To be quite honest, I much prefer it that way: it makes for a more pleasant experience, and also makes it possible to get in and out quickly if you are in a hurry. But, it is definitely surprising how empty it is in there regularly. It is unlike any other Costco I have ever visited.

Posted on: 2020/1/24 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The best thing that has happened to Bayonne is the Costco opening. Surprisingly, it is never as crowded as you would think.

Yeah, I think they miscalculated: cheap land and a suburban style store vs more customers. Had they built an urban style store Downtown like the one in Red Hook, or like the HD, they'd have had a lot more wealthy customers within a short distance.

These big national chains have bean counters that look at the high land cost or rent in dense areas and veto it without seriously taking customer density into account. Years ago before they opened Jersey stores I contacted Harbor Freight and suggested they open one on 440. That's between 2 cities of 250k each. Their response was they don't open stores with that high rents, even though they had stores in little towns of 30k out west. They simply could not wrap their heads around the hugely larger customer base per store.

Or simply they wanted to tap into the thousands of cars that travel past that very spot each day!

Posted on: 2020/1/24 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2020/1/24 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
With the amount of development east of 440 in Bayonne I can't imagine they'll just let that S Cove theater stand dormant.

I feel that strip mall area has always struggled to get past a very basic existence. Some suburban type places, a pricey Stop & Shop, an odd liquor store with a Verizon shop next to a bunch of other nondescript business storefronts. The Japanese restaurant was good but closed down, later replaced with another Asian place. I don?t know... Bayonne is a weird place. Half a mile down the road is another equally bland strip mall, but at least it has a very useful Lowe?s along with five guys. For those with a hankering for suburban dining, it also has a Sonic and a Longhorn Steakhouse. The Walmart in that second strip mall is always crowded, judging by the throngs coming and going.

Posted on: 2020/1/24 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
With the amount of development east of 440 in Bayonne I can't imagine they'll just let that S Cove theater stand dormant.

Posted on: 2020/1/23 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I didn't realize that Frank Theaters at South Cove had closed. When did it happen?

As for local theaters, the Newport Centre AMC is actually really nice after the renovations were performed.

I guess round March 2019 I knew they were in trouble before that when they put up a sign on the door that said theaters are not heated. Used to go to a movie there and then Houlihan?s. I have not been to a movie in Newport for years I will have to give them a try. Secaucus is good has food options (ha a Houlihan?s too) but the movie theaters are always packed. Clifton is nice also has food options.

Bayonne movie theater closes; property owner ?evaluating options? for the space

Updated Apr 08, 2019;Posted Apr 08, 2019
By Corey W. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

BAYONNE ? The Frank Theaters South Cove Stadium 12 has closed down after remaining open for several months despite its parent company filing for bankruptcy.

Francesco Alessi, who owns the South Cove Commons Plaza property, confirmed the theater had been vacated in early March, but declined to comment any further.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/04/bayo ... ptions-for-the-space.html

Thanks for the newspaper article!

I used to go to Secaucus before the Newport AMC was renovated. It is definitely nice, but too crowded. Hard to enjoy movies when the theaters are crowded, particularly with people who talk during movies, as often happens around here.

Definitely check out the Newport Centre theaters: seating is great, as well as the sound system. The only drawback to the AMC is that some screens are small, which is to expected since they have 11 different ones crammed into that space.

Posted on: 2020/1/22 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I didn't realize that Frank Theaters at South Cove had closed. When did it happen?

As for local theaters, the Newport Centre AMC is actually really nice after the renovations were performed.

I guess round March 2019 I knew they were in trouble before that when they put up a sign on the door that said theaters are not heated. Used to go to a movie there and then Houlihan?s. I have not been to a movie in Newport for years I will have to give them a try. Secaucus is good has food options (ha a Houlihan?s too) but the movie theaters are always packed. Clifton is nice also has food options.

Bayonne movie theater closes; property owner ?evaluating options? for the space

Updated Apr 08, 2019;Posted Apr 08, 2019
By Corey W. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

BAYONNE ? The Frank Theaters South Cove Stadium 12 has closed down after remaining open for several months despite its parent company filing for bankruptcy.

Francesco Alessi, who owns the South Cove Commons Plaza property, confirmed the theater had been vacated in early March, but declined to comment any further.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/04/bayo ... ptions-for-the-space.html

Posted on: 2020/1/22 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

Mmmm wrote:
Looks like it closed again in November 2019... any one know if there are any plans to reopen or is it gone for good? At least the Hudson mall is still going ..

I thought it closed before November 2019 maybe not. I looked at the HM property management website it shows that space is available for lease. I used to go to the Bayonne South Cove movie theater until it closed. Now it is off to Secaucus or Clifton to see a movie. I am surprised no one is jumping on it and opening it again seeing that they are building thousands of new apartments right down the street on the MOT property. I guess the same could be said for the HM theater with the new modern apartment buildings going up on the other side of rt 440.

This is a pretty good website to get information on old theaters. I remember the HM theater looking like that. The entrance was on the side. Notice the number of screen's history. As I mentioned in other posts the HM was the place to go to in the 70?s always packed. Parking spots in front and rear of the mall were full most of the time.

Cinema Treasures

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/1616

Posted on: 2020/1/22 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mmmm wrote:
Looks like it closed again in November 2019... any one know if there are any plans to reopen or is it gone for good? At least the Hudson mall is still going ..

I thought it closed before November 2019 maybe not. I looked at the HM property management website it shows that space is available for lease. I used to go to the Bayonne South Cove movie theater until it closed. Now it is off to Secaucus or Clifton to see a movie. I am surprised no one is jumping on it and opening it again seeing that they are building thousands of new apartments right down the street on the MOT property. I guess the same could be said for the HM theater with the new modern apartment buildings going up on the other side of rt 440.

This is a pretty good website to get information on old theaters. I remember the HM theater looking like that. The entrance was on the side. Notice the number of screen's history. As I mentioned in other posts the HM was the place to go to in the 70?s always packed. Parking spots in front and rear of the mall were full most of the time.

Cinema Treasures

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/1616

Posted on: 2020/1/22 12:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/22 6:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2020/1/22 6:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
For more than a month now, Hudson Cinemas at the Hudson Mall on Route 440 in Jersey City has been closed.
But that horror movie is about to end.
Under new ownership, the movie complex has been renovated and a planned reopening is scheduled for Friday with reduced admission prices.

The old dark purple walls are now a spiffier while and gold. The blue cloth seats have been replaced with black vinyl, officials said.
The new movie house features an expanded number of arcade games.

?We?re planning to have a whole row of them in the front by the ticket booth and in front of the food section,? said Marysol Santana, the cinema?s general manager.
White Castle hamburgers have been added to the menu, ??she added.

The movie-viewing experience will also be enhanced.
Every projector now works digitally; and two theaters have been reserved for 3-D movies.

?Best of all, we?ve decided to change prices,? Santana said. ?Instead of charging $7 before 5 p.m. and $9 after, we?re going to charge $5 before 5 p.m. and $7 after.?

The complex is now owned by Cinema Holdings and many of the employees who worked at the theater before it changed hands have been rehired, Santana said.Hudson Cinemas

Posted on: 2012/10/15 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Staples didn't want it for security reasons. Can't particularly say I blame them given their shrinkage.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
http://shophudsonmall.com/

Galaxy Theater is currently closed.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please check back for details on the new Palace Theatres cinemas opening soon.

(I still can?t believe they didn?t make an interior entrance/exit for the new Staples.(now it's like Old Navy) People may have actually ventured into the mall to look around and shop if there was a thruway )

Posted on: 2012/10/8 0:29

Hudson Cinemas closed?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
I just drove by Hudson Cinemas on Rte 440, and they don't have any movies listed on their sign, and there are no movie listings at Moviefone. Have they closed down? Anyone have any info on this? Is Newport our only movie theatre option left in JC?

Posted on: 2012/10/7 17:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017