Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Parking Too Close to Crosswalks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tamard wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Although most people are smart there are still some who hog spaces and don't leave room for their neighbors. I don't know if they are just totally stupid or they just don't care. Many of them are Mommys who feel entitled to park wherever and however they like. Spatial awareness is not their strong suit ... .

I am so happy that the mental ward gives you computer access time so you can spam JCList.

Do you ever feel a sense of entitlement, say after the sun goes down, while you are "protecting your neighbors" by allowing your old decrepit dogs to run off leash in the park wherever and however they like? Hypocritical awareness is not your strong suit...

The difference is obvious, one problem is real and has caused traffic accidents and the other problem is one simply of your imagination. Have there been any incidents with dogs or tickets handed out in HP? Exactly, keep beating the drum on an issue no one cares about except for maybe about 4 people on this site. Just to add to your fretting and tossing and turning I will be out there at 2am with my dog off leash.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 20:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Although most people are smart there are still some who hog spaces and don't leave room for their neighbors. I don't know if they are just totally stupid or they just don't care. Many of them are Mommys who feel entitled to park wherever and however they like. Spatial awareness is not their strong suit ... .

I am so happy that the mental ward gives you computer access time so you can spam JCList.

Do you ever feel a sense of entitlement, say after the sun goes down, while you are "protecting your neighbors" by allowing your old decrepit dogs to run off leash in the park wherever and however they like? Hypocritical awareness is not your strong suit...

Posted on: 2011/3/30 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I'm soooo glad I left my car home with my parents!!

Posted on: 2011/3/30 18:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/5 5:47
Group:
Registered Users
I have just gotten some answers so we can all stop guessing.

The enforcement of the statue regarding crosswalks & stop signs , in urban areas does not work.... The idea of taking off 25 ft from a stop sign or 50 ft from a crosswalk cant work. Think about it, that would take (8) eight spaces away at each intersection. I believe if the vehicle is too close to the intersection where if you were driving down that street and the vehicle obstructs your view of pedestrians or vehicles , a summons will be issued. If you park a big van close to the corner it will probably get a summons. Also if you are in an area where there is a school, I believe they may be stricter with enforcement which is understandable.

In todays Jersey Journal there is a story about an accident , what seemed to cause the accident was a vehicle that was parked and it obstrucetd a Stop Sign . The driver of the vehicle that approached the intersection didnt stop because the vehicle parked there blocked the sign . As a result there was a serious accident. Granted the vehicle that was struck by the vehicle that didnt stop was speeding. Either way the vehicle that blocked the sign was impounded.

I agree that some of the parking laws are a little out there but they are the laws. You are right MFADAM, the money made off those tickets would balance the bugdet but thankfully the JCPA and the PD understand the parking issues and use common sense. Believe it or not common sense is applied in regards to issuing tickets like this.

Im sure there are some people out there who would not agree with me about this post but i will give you some food for thought... Ready.....
The street cleaner comes down your block, you go outside to move your car to the other side of the street and the JCPA vehicle and the street cleaner pushes the garbage past your home and you go right back to the space that you just moved from and park. You are in violation!!! READ THE SIGNS!! it just says "No Parking 7am to 9am Tuesdays and Thursday" where does it say street cleaning... By the LAW the JCPA can go right back and ticket each one of the vehicles that are there..... But they dont. Thats where Not One of us think about things like that, do we? This was brought to my attention recently . Thats the proof that the bosses at the JCPA care about the residents and not just the almighty dollar. Thats the end of my rant, yes as I expect some stupid comments are probably to follow...

Posted on: 2011/3/30 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

getz011 wrote:

In other words, it's a guessing game: is JC going to selectively enforce its vague parking law today when I park in front of my house? Heads they win, tails I lose!

I don't see what's vague about it. 50 feet from a stop sign seems pretty exact. If you park in front of your house and it;s 50 feet from a stop sign or 25 feet from a crosswalk, you are, in effect, parking illegally and risking a fine. Just because they haven't ticketed for it before doesn't make it ok.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I thought JC had a 25 foot rule for stop signs/crosswalks. Of course it is totally arbitrary from an enforcement standpoint. If they actually held people to that 25 foot rule, the city could pay off it's hundreds of millions in debt quite quickly...

Posted on: 2011/3/30 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
It seems that Jersey City has finally gotten the message and stepped up enforcement. I have noticed JCPA ticketing cars parked on the corners more and more. I have also noticed a few police speed-traps in the area. Once again it is pure selfishness which is making parking difficult in my neighborhood. Although most people are smart there are still some who hog spaces and don't leave room for their neighbors. I don't know if they are just totally stupid or they just don't care. Many of them are Mommys who feel entitled to park wherever and however they like. Spatial awareness is not their strong suit as they often leave 4,5 or 6 feet between vehicles and thus end up taking away parking for other cars. On my block, where there should be ample space for 8 cars, there are often only 6 because of 5 foot gaps between cars.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't believe it if it hadn't happened to my wife: she got a ticket for parking "Within 50 feet of a stop sign."

50 feet!!

On top of that, the ticket told us to appear in court last Friday at 5pm, which is two hours after it closes for the day.

We did our research and apparently NJ state law has the 50-foot rule in place, but cities are allowed to vary that to account for real-world needs; i.e., it's reasonable to prohibit parking within 50 feet of a stop sign in the suburbs, but not in a congested urban area. However, JC has no information posted online that informs whether or not there is a local variance in place.

In other words, it's a guessing game: is JC going to selectively enforce its vague parking law today when I park in front of my house? Heads they win, tails I lose!

Posted on: 2011/3/30 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
i had a lovely run in with the JCPD tonight - they double parked blocking my car in for over 20 min while they were doing something on 4th street....
the fact that no lights were on the cruiser and I know that another cop lives in the building they were inside (plus the fact that they finally came out and got in their car without saying anything) makes me think that it wasn't official business bc I am sure I would have gotten some lecture/ ticket bc I sat on my horn for 20 min trying to get someone to come move it

they blocked the street for at least the 20 min I was out there (7 - 7:20 pm) and were causing the traffic coming down 4th to back up the length of the block which is VERY dangerous

thank you for perpetuating the stereotype that all cops are lazy losers that slack off on the job and are wasting tax payers money by the handful

plate # HG75115 (car 2990)
I have a few pictures of it... but I am assuming it won't make a difference to report it bc it will all of a sudden become "official business"
after a minute or two you should've called the police to come ticket them and have the car towed. Probably wouldn't have done it but at least you'd be making a point.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 14:25

Don’t park on the crosswalks unless you’re a city employee who gets take the city van home
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight at 10:45pm one of the JCPA scooter guys rolled up and ticketed a Dodge parked on the crosswalk.. But the JCPA guy overlooked the city van who also happens to park on the crosswalk, just about every night.. My guess is they?re out late at night now making up for the 2 months or so we went without any street cleaning over the winter..

Posted on: 2011/3/30 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
sorry cell phone pic.... either way still stinks to be late bc of someone else and cops especially shouldn't be doing it

Posted on: 2011/1/18 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
I have a few pictures of it... but I am assuming it won't make a difference to report it bc it will all of a sudden become "official business"

BTW, all local government, including police department, vehicles in NJ start with MG (municipal government).

Posted on: 2011/1/18 3:37
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i had a lovely run in with the JCPD tonight - they double parked blocking my car in for over 20 min while they were doing something on 4th street....
the fact that no lights were on the cruiser and I know that another cop lives in the building they were inside (plus the fact that they finally came out and got in their car without saying anything) makes me think that it wasn't official business bc I am sure I would have gotten some lecture/ ticket bc I sat on my horn for 20 min trying to get someone to come move it

they blocked the street for at least the 20 min I was out there (7 - 7:20 pm) and were causing the traffic coming down 4th to back up the length of the block which is VERY dangerous

thank you for perpetuating the stereotype that all cops are lazy losers that slack off on the job and are wasting tax payers money by the handful

Posted on: 2011/1/18 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
JCPA and JCPD are exempt from parking fines when engaged in enforcement duties......................and not eating at a diner to out shopping - then they can be fined.

Private vehicles owned by police are not exempt and need to find legal parking ..... just like any other employee or visitor to the city

Posted on: 2011/1/17 20:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/24 13:20
Group:
Registered Users
I've started to take pictures and sending them to the chief. These two people where actually using counterfeit placards to avoid parking tickets.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/1/16 1:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/5 5:47
Group:
Registered Users
I believe I read in another thread the CEO of the PA stated that the majority of the revenue was turned over to the city. I t only kept enough for operating costs. I dont remember which topic it was under.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 9:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
bbbbbuumpmppp

I was looking at NJ parking laws to see if there was a provision for towns to override them, since there?s no way anyone could park anywhere if those laws were enforced. Practically every spot is within 25 feet of a crosswalk, 50 feet of a stop sign, or 10 feet of a hydrant.

And yes, thankfully there is a provision for that. But now comes the task of finding out what JC?s parking laws are.

1. Is there anywhere online I can find Jersey City laws, specifically the parking laws?

"Since it was established as an autonomous agency in 1949, the cost of daily operation is not borne by the taxpayers."
2. The JCPA is an autonomous agency, right? It has a CEO, and it?s not financed by taxpayers. So, since we?re not bearing the ?burden? of financing the JCPA, does this mean we?re also not reaping the ?profit? from the bajillions of tickets, towings, and bootings they do each year?

Posted on: 2011/1/13 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
While I can sympathize with the lack of spaces here, the fact is it's a state law and a hazzard. Look at all the accidents on Jersey Ave the past few years. I'm halfway out sometimes before I know it's safe.

2 suggestions

ticket cars that are more dangerously parked. for instance, if you are at the corner of 2 one way streets making a right - a car parked on your left would block the view more than one parked on the right.

At the intersection of Brunswick and 7th, there are signs "No Parking from here to corner." about one car length. Pople might park there to unload but never leave them there for long periods of time. Put more of these signs up in problem areas.

I do agree with this .... to say that all cars must be 25 ft (or is it 50 ft) from all corners is a bit overkill - put up the no parking signs on the corners that truly warrant it and I will happily not park there

Posted on: 2010/10/26 22:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
Please note the position of the van relative to the "NO PARKING" sign:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/10/26 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Moved to JC from Hoboken several years ago - where the Parking Authority would ticket, boot and/or tow your car if it were even *thinking* about commiting a parking violation.

It was such a lucratrive business for the city to be in that the mayor's wife was jailed for taking $10/car kickback's from the Hoboken lot awarded the parking authority's contract.

I, too, have tip-toed the nose of my car onto Jersey Avenue - hoping & praying that some clown wouldn't crash into me as I tried to negotiate safe passage across the busy street - cars blocking my view on all sides.

Ticketing illegally parked cars seems like such an easy way to raise badly needly revenue for our city. I can't imagine that a few newly hired ticketing agents wouldn't quickly generate a hefty sum of tickets and provide for safer streets.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Over the weekend there were 2 buses parked in front of McNair on Coles right up to the corner of 7th. You couldn't see a thing from 7th of oncoming Coles traffic as you crept forward into the intersection praying some clown wasn't coming at you doing 45 mph. I'm sure every cop heading down 7th to the precinct saw it and did nothing.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
While I can sympathize with the lack of spaces here, the fact is it's a state law and a hazzard. Look at all the accidents on Jersey Ave the past few years. I'm halfway out sometimes before I know it's safe.

2 suggestions

ticket cars that are more dangerously parked. for instance, if you are at the corner of 2 one way streets making a right - a car parked on your left would block the view more than one parked on the right.

At the intersection of Brunswick and 7th, there are signs "No Parking from here to corner." about one car length. Pople might park there to unload but never leave them there for long periods of time. Put more of these signs up in problem areas.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Big trucks aren't suppose to be using most of the side streets anyway.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Well this is why the city should be installing bulb out / curb extensions on the corners to create a physical barrier to prevent cars from parking where it is unsafe. If its physically impossible to park in unsafe locations, no one would, like you, be able to justify parking too close to street corners. The excuse of "there aren't any other spots and I need to park someplace" is just that, an excuse, not a justification.

Those are feasible on large roads like Columbus, but on the smaller residential ones it would extend the corner so far into the intersection that even moderate sized trucks wouldn't be able to turn. Wouldn't it just be stupid to SPEND money to modify behavior, rather than have the Parking Authority actually do it's job and MAKE money ticketing people parking on the already marked yellow curbs?

Posted on: 2010/10/17 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
I will admit that I see some cars parked in really terrible ways however that site is ridiculous.... there is no way that anyone is going to obey 50 ft to the stop sign (or 25' whatever it is) if you get home past 8 pm there are no "real" spots... what do you suggest people (who have JC permits and live here) do?
if there is a spot that isn't blocking a cross walk or a hydrant or someones driveway or handicap spot....I am taking it no questions asked

until the city stops allowing more and more and more people to park (from 1 family becoming 4 families), have these huge double spot handicap parking and everything else what other option do I have?

should I quit my job so I don't need a car?

Well this is why the city should be installing bulb out / curb extensions on the corners to create a physical barrier to prevent cars from parking where it is unsafe. If its physically impossible to park in unsafe locations, no one would, like you, be able to justify parking too close to street corners. The excuse of "there aren't any other spots and I need to park someplace" is just that, an excuse, not a justification.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I will admit that I see some cars parked in really terrible ways however that site is ridiculous.... there is no way that anyone is going to obey 50 ft to the stop sign (or 25' whatever it is) if you get home past 8 pm there are no "real" spots... what do you suggest people (who have JC permits and live here) do?
if there is a spot that isn't blocking a cross walk or a hydrant or someones driveway or handicap spot....I am taking it no questions asked

until the city stops allowing more and more and more people to park (from 1 family becoming 4 families), have these huge double spot handicap parking and everything else what other option do I have?

should I quit my job so I don't need a car?

Posted on: 2010/10/17 15:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/16 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
I'm focusing on the intersection of Erie and First because it's my local problem intersection. We had three accidents in the first two weeks of September and that inspired me to create the site.

Here's my invitation to all of you: send your images of illegally parked cars, the intersection, the time you took the picture and a closeup of the license plate to jcparkinghallofshame@gmail.com.

I will then post the pictures, anonymously, of course.

Posted on: 2010/10/16 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
it is terrific that you have a website that lists notoriously incorrectly and illegally parked cars ...

that you focus on all these illegally parked cops outside of the copshop on erie is good too, particularly considering that their internal affairs is located there.

a suggestion ... stop by basic on a weekday morning, and take a few pictures who park across the street crossings ... when school is out

Posted on: 2010/10/15 23:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/16 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
We deeply appreciate the service and sacrifice police officers make, but the actions of FOP member(s) who knowingly block any fire hydrant are unacceptable.

Photograph the cars that have FOP plates, note the times and dates they are blocking the hydrant and then send the pictures and a letter to the Executive Board of Jersey City FOP Lodge #4

Look up the names and emails of FOP Lodge #4's Executive Board along the left hand side.

Here's their mailing address:

Jersey City Lodge #4
PO Box 3872
Jersey City, NJ 07303
201 424-8625

In addition, send a copy of the letter and pictures to:

Edward R. Brannigan
President
Fraternal Order of Police - New Jersey State Lodge
108 W. State St.
Trenton, NJ 08608
609-599-1222
www.njfop.org

Just a thought....

Posted on: 2010/10/15 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

catboot wrote:
The JCPA vehicle is the most glaring, but frequently cars with FOP plates also park in front of the fire hydrant. I have witnessed the street sweeper go around it on street sweeping days and the car is not ever ticketed. Every time I see something like this, I take a picture.

Great to see your engaged in the issue. You've got the pics...time to do something with them, no?

Posted on: 2010/10/15 22:13

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017