Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Are these safe areas
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Well obviously, you?re wrong. Jcblows.
1. You?re experience reflects the experience of one bad experience. My grandmother once told me something. If everyone else believes on thing, but you believe another, you are either really smart or crazy. I am sorry you are having a bad experience wherever you live (bad hood, bad block, bad w/e), but you certainly don?t speak for everyone. Again, I certainly cannot pass for hood or tough, and I have never felt endangered or threatened (even as I?ve walked from the PATH past mid-night).
2. It?s also rude to make sweeping generalizations about people. It reflects poorly on your character and credibility.
3. I love Queens and Brooklyn. I considered both as I chose a place to live. To be frank, I really wanted Queens before I saw my place and the neighborhood. Jersey City is no different. New York City is a region that exists outside of Manhattan. To suggest that crossing one river over another creates some drastically different change is sort of odd.
I?m sorry you?ve had a rough time. I can understand you need to vent, but please keep the venom out of this forum.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 15:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/18 0:51
Group:
Registered Users
There are three kinds of people in Jersey City:

1. CRIMINALS (the vast majority, most of them involved with the drug trade), who are in no way hindered by the completely useless police force. If you observe crime, and you will unless you never look out the window, and call the police, dispatchers will interrogate you with great hostility and suspicion. If the police bother to come at all, they will drive by and not bother to get out of the car.

2. HAPLESS RENTERS who have had crimes committed against them or have observed crime and who understand the nature of Jersey City. This is my category. I was assaulted by one of my \"neighbors,\" who wasn\'t even arrested.

3. LYING APARTMENT AND BROWNSTONE OWNERS who are trying to maintain or pump up the value of their property. They talk about how nothing is different here than in any other big city, and accuse category #2 of being prejudiced opponents of the multicultural. They are the majority on this list, and never miss a chance to claim that Jersey City is just swell, and that people who post about the awful reality of life here are heinous racists.

IN CONCLUSION:

I hate seeing hopeful innocents looking for affordable rent being led to this horrible place. I wish someone had warned me before I came here, and then couldn\'t afford to leave before my lease ran out.

I assume you\'ve already done the obvious and considered Brooklyn and Queens. Get a roommate, or consider Westchester (being careful about parts of Yonkers and Mount Vernon), which seems to be weirdly off the radar of young people working in Manhattan.

But do not listen to members of the Association of Lying Property Owners who ceaselessly try to lure you here.

Good luck, and keep looking elsewhere. Jersey City is your worst possible choice for a place to live within commuting distance of Manhattan.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 15:07

Re: Nice/Sketchy Areas/Streets/Parks Of Downtown
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/11 17:26
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
Until recently I lived in Greenville for several years next door to the amazing Italian restaurant Laico's on Terhune. The section of Greenville where Laico's is is a great area. The bad section of Greenville you hear about in the news is on the other side of JFK from where Laico's is.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 7:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Its a city things'll happen at any time. Just keep your wits about you.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Most of downtown is fine to walk thru in all hours. Do not walk thru any park, even in the richest area of town, after sundown. do not walk to the end of 1st st. it's yucky an any aesthetic sense you have you will be seriously challenged.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
For anyone who is concerned about living in a "bad" area.... don't worry! I'm about to move into very same "bad" area with my 12 gauge and my 2 gigantic mastiffs. I also have a cat that's particularly hissy. All of us will be keeping the streets safe from thugs and crackheads in no time flat.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 4:23

Nice/Sketchy Areas/Streets/Parks Of Downtown
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
Which areas/streets/parks of Downtown would you say are nice and which are sketchy to walk around in (daytime/evening/weekend)?

Posted on: 2010/2/1 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:

You are an idiot. The only safe areas in JC are the gated communities? seriously... why do you even live here?

Is this a trick question? I know the obvious answer is the people in SH want to LIVE in JC. Not wind up DEAD or like this poor GREENVILLE guy shot, paralyzed, and left lying in a cross walk at 8:30 pm. Wow notice all of the crime that occurred during the January thaw we just had? Can?t wait until sum sum summertime.

Here?s a question for you why do you think two gated communities were built in JC? Doesn?t it seem odd?

A Jersey City man is in critical condition, possibly paralyzed after being shot in the spine

By The Jersey Journal
January 27, 2010, 10:19AM

A Jersey City man was left in critical condition and possibly paralyzed by a bullet that "fragmented" his spine on a GREENVILLE street Monday night, officials said.

When police arrived at Grant and Ocean avenues at 8:30 p.m. they found the 39-year-old York Street man lying face up in the crosswalk, reports said. The victim told police he couldn't feel his legs, reports said. Officers found a spent 9mm round nearby.

The York Street man was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center. Doctors told police the bullet was lodged in the man's spine and it could not be removed due to the severity of the damage. At the hospital, the victim said he felt nothing from the waist down, reports said.

The officers noted that immediately after the shooting there was a report of shots being fired at Claremont Avenue and Martin Luther King Drive.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call the Jersey City police tip line at (201) 547-JAIL.

I think the point was that if you think that the ONLY safe areas of Jersey City are the gated communities, you must have a generally low opinion of the city as a whole. While I'm sure those areas are safer than other parts of the city, they're certainly not the only places you can live in Jersey City without "winding up dead". It's a city, it has typical city issues. Being informed and aware and using common sense go a long way to staying out of harm's way in many cases.

And gates communities are all over the place. That was just a weak argument.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
Quote:

India2US wrote:
Hello All,

I am considering few places to rent out and being new to NJ would like to know from your experience if the following places would be safe for a young female to stay at and commute safely to and fro from work.

Palisade Ave near holland tunnel
Montgomery street between marin blvd and warren street
Montgomery street and grove street
Broadway str and Tonnelle ave

that area of jersey city between the holland tunnel and hoboken is sketchy as all hell. there is a methadone clinic and a homeless shelter

You are describing an area that was not asked about. Palisade is in the Heights and is not even in walking distance to the area of Downtown you are describing.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 1:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
Lower Palisade Avenue has Dickinson High School (corner of Newark Avenue and Palisade Avenue) and Christ Hospital and Pinto's Pharmacy (vicinity of Beacon Avenue and Palisade Avenue. Upper Palisade Avenue has Ogden Avenue a block east and New York Avenue a block west.

Dickinson (east side) and Hudson Gardens (west side) fill the block of Palisade between Newark and Washburn Street. Just north of this is Hoboken Avenue/State Route 139.

Newark Avenue between Palisade Avenue and Sixth Street seems "interesting" (sketchy?), what with Dickinson High School, the Jersey City Cemetary, and automobile related industries as it passes under the Turnpike's Hudson County Extension into Downtown. The Waldo Avenue/Chestnut Avenue section seems like a decent neighborhood and Elizabeth Street seems like a quiet block.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 4:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc38wayne wrote:
How about 5th and Brunswick...I know the Gas station and mechanic shop are around there and it can get pretty busy with traffic...is it noisy, safe, etc?

I used to live on 5th and Brunswick--until about a year and a half ago--and I did find it to be terribly noisy between the condo construction, the general traffic on Newark, and especially the firehouse across the street. The construction is finished now, however.

The neighborhood was probably safe, but I didn't feel like neighbors ever said hi or introduced themselves and certainly no one looked out for each other. Now I live in the hilltop neighborhood up by Journal Square. As a single woman, I actually feel much safer. I also have a much shorter walk to the path and live on a quiet, lovely dead-end street. (I also have a much more square feet for my $)

I do miss being so close to WhiteStar and Madame Claudes, but it's not such a bad walk (down the hill).

Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

India2US wrote:
Thanks All,

This was helpful. I will concentrate on Newport, Grove street now and will keep Journal Square as the last option..hope to find something in the former two within the budget.

Many Thanks for your inputs.
you may want to try hamilton park are as well ...

Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:

You are an idiot. The only safe areas in JC are the gated communities? seriously... why do you even live here?

Is this a trick question? I know the obvious answer is the people in SH want to LIVE in JC. Not wind up DEAD or like this poor GREENVILLE guy shot, paralyzed, and left lying in a cross walk at 8:30 pm. Wow notice all of the crime that occurred during the January thaw we just had? Can?t wait until sum sum summertime.

Here?s a question for you why do you think two gated communities were built in JC? Doesn?t it seem odd?

A Jersey City man is in critical condition, possibly paralyzed after being shot in the spine

By The Jersey Journal
January 27, 2010, 10:19AM

A Jersey City man was left in critical condition and possibly paralyzed by a bullet that "fragmented" his spine on a GREENVILLE street Monday night, officials said.

When police arrived at Grant and Ocean avenues at 8:30 p.m. they found the 39-year-old York Street man lying face up in the crosswalk, reports said. The victim told police he couldn't feel his legs, reports said. Officers found a spent 9mm round nearby.

The York Street man was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center. Doctors told police the bullet was lodged in the man's spine and it could not be removed due to the severity of the damage. At the hospital, the victim said he felt nothing from the waist down, reports said.

The officers noted that immediately after the shooting there was a report of shots being fired at Claremont Avenue and Martin Luther King Drive.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call the Jersey City police tip line at (201) 547-JAIL.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/10 20:52
Group:
Registered Users
How about 5th and Brunswick...I know the Gas station and mechanic shop are around there and it can get pretty busy with traffic...is it noisy, safe, etc?

Posted on: 2010/1/27 17:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/2 5:01
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks All,

This was helpful. I will concentrate on Newport, Grove street now and will keep Journal Square as the last option..hope to find something in the former two within the budget.

Many Thanks for your inputs.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 16:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Yes this is a safe area. Madame Claudes restaurant is right there.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 21:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is Brunswick at Newark Ave a safe area?

Posted on: 2010/1/26 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

beden wrote:
Port Liberte and Society Hill are wonderful family friendly communities, Port Liberte has a playground, tennis, basketball, and Daycare. On site transportation to Path and NYC. Check it out.
Barbara Eden
RE/MAX WATERFRONT
www.BarbaraEdenRealtor.com

Society hill has the grossest industrial views ever. Wasn't it built on a chromium site too?

Posted on: 2010/1/26 14:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/26 13:26
Group:
Registered Users
Port Liberte and Society Hill are wonderful family friendly communities, Port Liberte has a playground, tennis, basketball, and Daycare. On site transportation to Path and NYC. Check it out.
Barbara Eden
RE/MAX WATERFRONT
www.BarbaraEdenRealtor.com

Posted on: 2010/1/26 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
also FYI : T-bird is making reference to all the corrupt officials in city hall - that is why he says "high crime area"... :)

Posted on: 2010/1/25 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No

Posted on: 2010/1/25 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
The "overall" map is misleading. For a bit more contrast, look at the drugs map, and (most importantly) the violent crime map:

http://www.starledger.com/str/indexpage/crime/JC_violent.jpg

http://www.starledger.com/str/indexpage/crime/jcdrug.jpg

Quote:

Amy wrote:
Here are some resources:

http://spotcrime.com/nj/jersey+city

And this is from a few years ago:

http://www.starledger.com/str/indexpage/crime/JC_Crime_Overall.jpg

Posted on: 2010/1/25 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/25 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/25 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is not a safe place. Like any big city you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times. All of the area?s that you mentioned are fine during the day. Late night you have to watch your back. The Broadway / Tonnelle spot would be great if you are like your name says from India(2US). Two blocks to JS Path, one block to Newark Ave. (Indian Square)

The only safe place in JC are the two gated and guarded developments. Society Hill and Port Liberte. (funny I thought GnomeGeneral was describing Society Hill in JC not Bedminster.)

PS ? Downtown has the highest overall crime rating as per the JCPD website. (yes you guys win because of the total number of larcenies, that puts you over the top).

Posted on: 2010/1/25 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, still turf wars here huh?
Leave JC and move to Bedminster. You can leave your doors unlocked and wake up to birds chirping. No litter, no higher taxes, no backflow preventers or sketchy parts of town (they are all nice!)...the longer commute is a small price to pay.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Someone ought to make a color coded map of Jersey City "perceived safety" and post it. Then we could argue about it for months. Would be fun.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 18:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
All depends on who you are and what you are. All areas of JC are safe to me :)

Posted on: 2010/1/24 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Montgomery and Grove is City Hall. High crime area. I'd be very cautious there

Outside of that, it's a great area.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I agree as well, except I'd add that the two safe areas are relatively safe. Remember that it's a city, and although the areas are pretty good, you still have to use common sense.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 17:38

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017