Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: ????Info on obtaining R1 driveway variance???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Bochka probably hacked the site to delete all of his ridiculous posts.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Hey there,

I've revived it - the beloved old thread that started it all!

Bochka if you're out there feel free to start posting again. We want to hear more about your illegal antics, and exactly where your illicit driveway is so we can park in front of it.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
Will the city not issue curb cuts is certain areas of the city or this is a city wide mandate? There?s a house on Kennedy who just flattened their front yard and from the looks of it they are trying to put in a driveway I think.. On the sidewalk there is a tree and telephone post or could be pse&g with I think tension wires from the post bolted to the ground in the middle between the tree and the post. Wouldn?t a curb be illegal then, if that?s what they are planning?

Keep your eye on this joint, then report it to the Hudson County zoning office. Is this place in the Heights ?

Yup its in the heights, next to Riotto Funeral.. This place just got the gates put in.. Clearly looks like a driveway now, minus the curb cut.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Longhorn wrote:
Quote:

monj1985 wrote:
I'm in the heights there are no historic houses on my block or in my area in general. Honestly if people really want aesthetics move to the suburbs plain and simple, but dont screw over the little guy who follows the law while everyone around him breaks it. Anyway like I said I have no intention of doing it illegally I just want some advice on how to proceed to get the variance, I know its possible.

It's funny you mention the suburbs, but you have it backwards. If you want to park your car in a driveway and drive everywhere you go, then it is you that needs to move to the suburbs. That is what the suburbs are made for. The city is made for walking and public transit. Cars are a luxury, not a necessity here.

I can't think of anything aesthetically redeeming about the suburbs, plain and simple.

More importantly, eliminating curb cuts isn't about aesthetics. Its about safety, preserving public parking for everyone, and maintaing an urban landscape.

Many lots are too small to accomodate a parked car, meaning even with a "driveway", curb cuts lead to cars parked in the middle of the sidewalk pushing pedestrians into the street.

Curb cuts also deprive the public of parking by shifting the street parking where the curb cut was to a private space. Unless a curb cut is creating multiple public parking spaces, as in a parking garage, this ultimately means a net decline in parking.

Finally, punctuating an urban streetscape with more curb cuts decreases the walkability of a neighborhood and encourages more cars. Neither attribute is beneficial to improving urban neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2011/6/2 16:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Longhorn wrote:
Quote:

monj1985 wrote:
As a law student I'm trying to do this the legal way. I posted on here because I know there is a legal way to get a variance, its just somewhat difficult and I was wondering if anyone went through the process. I agree I'm mad about illegal driveways too, but at the same time now theyre punishing people like my parents who do everything by the book. As for aesthetics lets be realistic its the city, jersey city isnt stopping people from building those huge 2 family houses that have illegal apartments and fit like 50 ppl in them with 10 cars, well all those illegal residents are taking the parking spots, and it seems only fair the people who live on the block who pay their taxes should be able to park their car. I'm in the heights there are no historic houses on my block or in my area in general. Honestly if people really want aesthetics move to the suburbs plain and simple, but dont screw over the little guy who follows the law while everyone around him breaks it. Anyway like I said I have no intention of doing it illegally I just want some advice on how to proceed to get the variance, I know its possible.

It's funny you mention the suburbs, but you have it backwards. If you want to park your car in a driveway and drive everywhere you go, then it is you that needs to move to the suburbs. That is what the suburbs are made for. The city is made for walking and public transit. Cars are a luxury, not a necessity here.

Unfortunately in much of JC public transpo is severely limited, and people needing to travel to shop or get to work in off hours need an alternative form of transport.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 22:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/31 18:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

monj1985 wrote:
As a law student I'm trying to do this the legal way. I posted on here because I know there is a legal way to get a variance, its just somewhat difficult and I was wondering if anyone went through the process. I agree I'm mad about illegal driveways too, but at the same time now theyre punishing people like my parents who do everything by the book. As for aesthetics lets be realistic its the city, jersey city isnt stopping people from building those huge 2 family houses that have illegal apartments and fit like 50 ppl in them with 10 cars, well all those illegal residents are taking the parking spots, and it seems only fair the people who live on the block who pay their taxes should be able to park their car. I'm in the heights there are no historic houses on my block or in my area in general. Honestly if people really want aesthetics move to the suburbs plain and simple, but dont screw over the little guy who follows the law while everyone around him breaks it. Anyway like I said I have no intention of doing it illegally I just want some advice on how to proceed to get the variance, I know its possible.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
Will the city not issue curb cuts is certain areas of the city or this is a city wide mandate? There?s a house on Kennedy who just flattened their front yard and from the looks of it they are trying to put in a driveway I think.. On the sidewalk there is a tree and telephone post or could be pse&g with I think tension wires from the post bolted to the ground in the middle between the tree and the post. Wouldn?t a curb be illegal then, if that?s what they are planning?

Keep your eye on this joint, then report it to the Hudson County zoning office. Is this place in the Heights ?

Posted on: 2011/5/28 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/5/28 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
With the new reval coming they will take driveways into consideration and that will make them legal because I doubt anything will deem them against current code. I would try to go after them immedately if not sooner.
Also it is not fair to the house without a driveway both pay the same tax and it is still not fair to the house with a legal driveway because the legal one is paying more in taxes. I was told at the reval meeting by Ed Toloza of the tax dept. that even if code violations do come up they will not report them.

Posted on: 2011/5/9 21:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Its a joke, probably one of the least enforced codes in JC if not the least.

It seems thats 70% of all driveways in JC just appeared overnight.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/5/9 20:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/3 17:56
Group:
Registered Users
@triscuit12

I have noticed this as well and I am planning on contacting the department of zoning. Parking is already impacted in that area and having them expropriate a spot doesn't help. The number for the zoning department is (201) 547-6564 and if enough of us call they might actually do something.

Jaybe

Posted on: 2011/5/9 13:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/26 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
On a related topic. About a month or so ago a "driveway" has popped up on Coles. It looks like a backyard that now has a gate that can be opened, and it has a no parking sign on it saying people will be towed. The car is very rarely in the actual "driveway" and always just parks in front. Is this allowed? I am beginning to think no especially since the curb isn't cut.

Posted on: 2011/5/9 2:09

Re: Driveway Zoning?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My understanding is that the city will issue no new curb cuts period. Except, of course, for the new construction projects that are getting tax abatements as well and lining administration pockets.

Posted on: 2011/5/9 0:12

Driveway Zoning?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know how to find out if a property is zoned to have a driveway? In my row of houses at least half have driveways, but mine does not. When I called the parking authority they said that a curb cut would indicate whether I can have one or not. The thing is my neighbors do not have a curb cut, and the curb in front of my house is practically at the same level as the pavement, negating the need for a cut. My house does not have the original iron fence in front. It was replaced by a home made wooden one at some point, which makes me think that perhaps it once was used as a driveway. I have heard that the city is only allowing new driveways on new construction, but is there any way to get an exception on this? Has anyone else dealt with the city on this?

Posted on: 2011/5/8 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
This used to drive me insane. Ok one your all assuming its a full driveway and not just a car port. I have seen many a single car car ports that cut the sidewalk and not offer less space. Not only that, but people save the port for friends or other members of the family and do not park in their own "driveway" on the street and block it themselves, but take up more spaces. Driveways also take away a spot and 1/4 to and a spot and a half. The driveway it self on the sidewalk always takes up more then one car. This also affects pedestrians because i'm sure we've all seen people who think its ok to leave their car on the sidewalk also because its their driveway. Also the ones with driveways and garages also deem that the sidewalk they cut seems to be the size of almost the entire front of the property therefore cutting away more street parking. Also for those of you who say driveways are for keeping your car safe. Its not. It takes around a minute to steal a car, its still out in the open and can be targeted unless it is in a garage.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 7:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

camera-ready wrote:
The private spot remains empty when the owner is away.

As would the street spot he would normally be occupying. When he was away, that would be empty as well.

Really? You think that once he or she moves that car that this spot is going to sit empty? Have you lived here very long?

The main problem with allowing curb cuts, and thus private driveways, is that this area is now the domain of the property owner and no one else gets access to it. It's true that once parked, the car is on private property. So if you can get your car from the street to your property without taking away a portion of public property, then by all means do so. But to think that you have a right to take away public access simply because you own what's on the other side of it is arrogant. It would be like a condo owner expanding his or her unit out into the hallway simply because they want a bigger place.

And believe me, I often think this city is nothing but a huge pit of corruption and crime (petty and not so petty), but I also think that a huge part of this is because way too many people are always looking out only for ourselves.

The politicians are looking out for themselves and their friends and families, the developers are looking at their own best interest, stupid kids who commit petty crimes are only thinking of "what's fun" when they are doing so, etc. Even those who commit much more serious crimes are doing so because they think this is their best option in getting what they want out of life.

Curb cuts are just another example of this. Hey, as long as I get my parking space that no one else can park in and I don't have to worry about finding a spot with all the other people, what do I care?

Posted on: 2009/6/26 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I also think sometimes that having a driving affords people the opportunity to get a second car when really they only need one. So, they keep the second car in the driveway and the other one on the street. AND there are people who will park in the street especially if it's the spot in front of their house and leave their driveway empty for several hours until their spouse comes homes. OR, if their driveway fits two cars, deep, they will still park on the street because they don't want to have to hassle and move their car when their spouse comes home and blocks them in. C'mon. you know people do this. I see on my block all the time.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

camera-ready wrote:
The private spot remains empty when the owner is away.

As would the street spot he would normally be occupying. When he was away, that would be empty as well.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 13:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/1 21:52
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The difference is that a street spot will be used by multiple drivers most of the 24 hour day. The private spot remains empty when the owner is away.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
You guys are focusing on the fact that it "takes away" one street parking space, but in fact, all it does is move it, or even open up a couple more.

Before he had the driveway, he parked in the street. That was one less street parking spot for everyone else.

With the driveway, he then parks his car in his driveway, moving the spot he occupied elsewhere on the street, to the front of his house. He then has the potential to park one, maybe even two more cars in the driveway. Still only taking up one "street spot", but fitting 3 cars in it. That opens up two more "street spots".

Those who complain about how it looks from their window? Can't really say I have much compassion for you. It's his property and he can pretty much do what he wants, within reason. It's not like he is turning it into a sh!thole, he just made a driveway.

Seems like a good thing, unless I am forgetting something, or not taking something else into account.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 23:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/4 19:33
Group:
Banned
lol i intend to move to the burbs this for my parents. This exactly why the younger generations who actually get educated and are successful all leave jersey city. Theres nothing but bs and corruption to deal with in jersey city. Thats the reason why crime is so high out of all my friends and classmates who went on to make something of themselves very few if any would even consider staying here, and thats why the crime rate is so high, because frankly theres no incentive to stay here so the only people who do stay here are the ones who didnt get an education and have no choice. The old jersey city where hard working honest people lived is long dead. The only exceptions are maybe the waterfront parts and frankly if it was up to them theyd secede from jersey city and try and become part of hoboken lol

Posted on: 2009/6/25 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

monj1985 wrote:
u know what, thats not a bad idea, so why not send your emails and complain about the city instead of stopping hard working tax paying citizens from enjoying their own property.

Problem is, your property directly affects my property and it affects your neighbors who can no longer park where they rightfully once could. There's a reason why you have to get a very difficult to obtain variance to plow over your front yard with an ugly ass block of cement. It's because it selfishly only serves to benefit you at the cost of the rest of the community. You may own your front yard, but you certainly don't own the street in front of your house. If you don't like it, you should probably move out to the burbs.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 18:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
u know what, thats not a bad idea, so why not send your emails and complain about the city instead of stopping hard working tax paying citizens from enjoying their own property.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

monj1985 wrote:
u know wat raj dont even apologize theres alot of ignorant people in here. Anyone who has been to Duncan knows wat its like down there, frankly some of those parts i dont like walking in the day, let alone night . Instead of focusing on the massive crime and ppl who are sitting at home collecting government checks, these ppl are talking aesthetics as if theyre living in paris. Look we work hard and pay taxes its not too much to ask to have a a stupid driveway to put ur car so you dont worry about having someone destroy ur car in street parking or getting mugged walking home. Why dont they fix the crime and corruption in this city first, for god sakes our councilman pissed on ppl at a concert, and theyre talking to me about aesthetics, if you want aesthetics go to the MET or something and lets the rest of us have a minor convenience that everyone in the world has.

Some of us want aesthetics too, thank you. It's possible to have both. If the JC Parking Authority would develop all the vacant land they own in well-landscaped parking lots or well-designed garages, instead of selling the land to developers, as they've done time and time again, then we'd all be in a much better position.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 17:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
u know wat raj dont even apologize theres alot of ignorant people in here. Anyone who has been to Duncan knows wat its like down there, frankly some of those parts i dont like walking in the day, let alone night . Instead of focusing on the massive crime and ppl who are sitting at home collecting government checks, these ppl are talking aesthetics as if theyre living in paris. Look we work hard and pay taxes its not too much to ask to have a a stupid driveway to put ur car so you dont worry about having someone destroy ur car in street parking or getting mugged walking home. Why dont they fix the crime and corruption in this city first, for god sakes our councilman pissed on ppl at a concert, and theyre talking to me about aesthetics, if you want aesthetics go to the MET or something and lets the rest of us have a minor convenience that everyone in the world has.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 0:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/19 13:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
alek8,
Yup. Replace a few things and it's pretty much how it went down.

ihatethiscity,
Hmm, dont see where I mentioned anything about selling the house and if we did, I'd advertise the space as a concrete front yard.

I honestly didnt realize that some of you were this passionate about driveways. Im not even trying to be condescending, but I never really knew it was that big of an issues. Ive always operated under the notion that if you wanted a driveway in residential neighborhood, it was cool to make one. Guess I was wrong.

Addressing my own situation, like I said, we didnt know the legalities of making a driveway. We knew about the parking permit situation but we weren't aware that we needed permission to make an actual driveway. Yeah I know, ignorance isnt an excuse, but it is what it is.

As far as my parking situation, I live in a residential neighborhood next to Duncan Ave. where just about every house on my block has a driveway. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them were illegal, but whether or not they are or arent, Ive always respected any space that looks remotely like a driveway. Upon moving to the area, we had a very hard time finding parking especially late at night. My sister and mother felt extremely uncomfortable when they'd have to park on Mallory Ave which intersects Duncan right by Lincoln Park. Those concerns are pretty much what led us to go ahead and make the driveway. So all of you calling us selfish, now you know that safety was the deciding factor.

As far as me parking in my fake driveway, I've parked there once for a total of 20 minutes since the inspector came last week and its the only time I've ever parked there. People park in front of it all the time, so I haven't taken anything away from my neighbors.

Addressing the quip about ruining my neighborhood, I embellished on what my garden was. It was actually a dirt patch with weeds growing in it that acted as a giant kitty litter box for the feral cats on the block. The tree I mentioned, I imagined that. I dont think anyone in the neighborhood misses it too much. In fact, a few of the kids that live on the block play in the space every now and then.

So to ease everyone's concerns, I have a driveway that doesnt get used by cars, but by children. People park SUVs, cars, cabs, trucks, and even a small bus in front of it. If you're in my neighborhood, please feel free to park there too. It's the open concrete space free of oil spill stains.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 20:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
by rajah on 2009/6/23 23:42:32 monj, I dont know what an R1 variance is but when my family moved to our new house about 3-4 years ago, we had a little garden and tree in front of our house. My mother decided to remove it and replace it with a driveway. I warned her that I saw something in the journal that the city was no longer giving out parking permits for driveways or something along those lines but she went ahead and did it anyway .....
ah haha... you're mom's gangster, like mine. probably went down like this... Mom, you can't do this. You need permission to make a driveway. Josep, what permission? It's my ptroperti. If your Tita Myrna and Tito Boy has a dribeway. Why not us? Anyway >points with her lips to the garage< your Ninong already bought the cement.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 18:41
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Curbcuts in brownstone neighborhoods is a major NO NO in my book. That is unless you turn the first floor into a garage and part your vehicle inside.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Regulator,

I got to thinking about your quote, "at some point you sacrifice aesthetics for function." This, in my opinion, is the sort of shortsightedness that plagues our city councils psyche. Imagine if this quote of yours was mandated by city councils throughout the land? My question to you is why can't we have both? Seriously, is it that hard to have both? Last I checked most architects and quality home builders (with a soul) appreciate good design and have an eye towards aesthetics. Sadly our city council awards most of these contracts to the cheapest bidders who just want to finish and move onto the next botched job. If you want examples simply head on over to the new and ?improved? Newark Ave. sidewalks or the steps and brickwork around Grove Pointe. Abysmal!

Years ago I lived in a 1950's apartment that had a little phone nook with a phone book slot underneath and luckily had some very useful built-in dining room cabinets and shelves. Now that is a prime example of aesthetics and function. Sadly, the 60's rolled around and quality wood working and attention to detail were quickly traded for cheaply built pre-fab style buildings. Talk about sacrificing aesthetics for function. That is what the 60?s brought to our cities. Sure, not all 60?s design was that way but the vast majority of apartment houses in urban areas were. Don?t get me wrong, I applaud many of the new technology advancements in the building and design industry that speeds up the process. I just can?t accept your statement and wish I lived back when good design and quality craftsmanship actually meant something. How many of these JC builders actually take pride in their work? I think you know the answer.

Quote:

regulator wrote:
again, i don't buy the street parking argument. if your lot is wide enough , you can potentially park up to 3 cars (2 inside, one outside) in a spot where previously only 1 car fit!

as far as aesthetics, that argument is a wash to me. would i rather live in a city where flowers bloomed on every street? sure. but the reality is this is a city, and at some point you sacrifice aesthetics for function.

as a side note, i also never understood people's gripes with the aesthetics of the newer buildings and how they are an 'eyesore' for the community. since when has aesthetics become something that you could objectively measure anyway? who's to say that i or someone down the street don't appreciate the way the new buildings downtown look? just because you think something is an eyesore doesn't make it so.

of course it all boils down to the fact that it's against the law to do it in jc without a permit, and there's really no arguing that fact.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
You'll need to hire a lawyer familiar with the JC variance process, a licensed professional planner also familar with JC to testisfy in front of the board, and an architect to do the drawings and also speak at the meeting. There are also all sorts of fees involved, everything from filing fees, to court reporter fees, to the postage to send certified notices to all your neighbors within X feet of you. And if you lose, which you probably will since the board rarely grants driveway variences, you're still going to be out all those thousands of dollars and many months wasted. I successfully got a variance here in JC for something else, and it cost me about $8k.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 15:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017