Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Car being broken in?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
JennyMayla, where did you buy your car? I'd like to send that thoughtful dealer a huge Thank You gift...

Posted on: 2008/6/12 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mlibriz wrote:
Hi,

If you have a nice car, I suggest that you go park it at New Port Mall. It's a 10 minutes walk but for 80$ per month indoor parking, you can't go wrong.

You must have no idea how often cars are stolen and broken into in that parking lot.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

Car alarms are worthless noise nuisances and don't stop anybody from stealing a car.

When I bought my new (used) car this fall, I asked about having an alarm installed and the dealer recommended I not do it, since the alarm really does nothing. People are so immune to the noise that it really doesn't help at all. Instead he recommended a lo-jack, so at least if it was stolen, they could track it.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Okay, so do bad guys break into just about any cars? Or do they choose more expensive cars? I drive a Honda civic, and I just don't see how anyone can benefit from breaking into my car. [...]

Here are latest stats for car break-ins:
Resized Image

Cars Stolen Most Often

The NICB has compiled a list of the 10 vehicles most frequently reported stolen in the U.S. in 2006.

1. 1995 Honda Civic
2. 1991 Honda Accord
3. 1989 Toyota Camry
4. 1997 Ford F150 Series
5. 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup
6. 1994 Chevrolet Full Size C/K 1500 Pickup
7. 1994 Nissan Sentra
8. 1994 Dodge Caravan
9. 1994 Saturn SL
10. 1990 Acura Integra

Which cars are stolen most often in New Jersey?

1. 2000 Honda Civic
2. 1992 Honda Accord
3. 1991 Toyota Camry
4. 1996 Dodge Caravan
5. 1993 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
6. 1995 Acura Integra
7. 1995 Nissan Maxima
8. 1994 Plymouth Voyager
9. 1996 Ford Taurus L
10. 2000 Dodge Intrepid

Posted on: 2008/6/11 19:57
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/27 17:10
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to me a lot 2 summers ago. I had a 1997 Honda Accord. My car was broken into about 3 times and there was nothing in it. I had the club too. Finally they stole the car (got the club off and everything) and it was found near Wayen Street. I was usually parked behind a brand Lexus or BMW....

At that time a lot of Honda's were being broken into. The older Honda's are easier to break into and a sought after car. There is a tab on the outside of the window that makes it easy to seperate it from the car. You can then get some type of device in to unlock....or you can smash the window.

It really stinks. In my opinion as soon as it gets warmer car thefts and break ins are on the rise. I hope you report it to the police (not a great experience for me)....and you should also tell the Neighborhood Watch who really does care.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 16:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/10 18:14
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

If you have a nice car, I suggest that you go park it at New Port Mall. It's a 10 minutes walk but for 80$ per month indoor parking, you can't go wrong.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 15:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/16 20:20
Group:
Registered Users
I live near 2nd & Jersey. My 1990 Honda Accord got broken into 3 times in the past 3 weeks - not one thing was stolen. Just the window broken on the driver side. I think someone broke in to sleep in the car. Gross.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 2:55
It's Frank's world...we just live in it.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/10 14:44
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
This is a little off topic, but I would also agree with not parking on Coles Street. It's a busy main thru street that gets a lot of traffic at all hours of the day and night. We used to live on 6th and Coles and our car was parked directly out front of our apartment and it was pummelled by a drunk driver at 2am who also hit 5 other cars in the process. They guy finally ran off on foot and left his smoking banged up car. He hasn't showed up for any of his multiple rescheduled court dates.

Also, on a side note...people don't always break into your car...they'll steal things on the outside of your car. Like the spare tire on our rental SUV in the middle of the FREAKIN DAY! Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to move to Jersey City downtown next month, and I hear conflicting stories about its safety. From what I have seen and experienced, historic downtown seems very safe. But I have read someone's comment that their car was broken in 3 times in downtown.

I'm going to be near Cole and 5th, and I'm aware that I can only park (with a permit) in the area.

So, is there any place I should avoid (to park my car) in downtown?

Or do you think I should consider car being broken in is a random bad luck?

I would like to protect myself if I can. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/10 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

metulj wrote:
People walk past cars with their alarms going off.

Car alarms are worthless noise nuisances and don't stop anybody from stealing a car.

I'm talking about my own car. If I'm parked in front of my house I'll be able to hear if the alarm goes off and run to the window to see what's going on. If it's somebody else's alarm I'll ignore it.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 16:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/12 12:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Can somebody please, please tell my why they're still making cars with car alarms?

Does anybody even respond to them? (I mean with anything other than anger.)

An alarm is still better than nothing. Anything that draws attention to the vehicle can help.

My first job out of college was repossessing cars for banks. I served the papers and two other guys took the car. I never saw a single instance where anyone came out to check on a car being repossessed whose alarm was going off. One guy stuck his arm out of his apartment window with his key fob and shut it off and never looked to see that we were towing his car. People walk past cars with their alarms going off.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Can somebody please, please tell my why they're still making cars with car alarms?

An alarm is still better than nothing. Anything that draws attention to the vehicle can help.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

I used to have a Volkswagen my car was the only car who's alarm did not go off during a 4th of July fireworks show. When there is ball playing outside my car wasn't affected by the ball bouncing off the car triggering the alarm. You have to illegaly enter the vehicle by manipulating with the car's electrical system to triger the alarm. If you live near the car when it is parked then yes get an alarm but if it's parked around the corner you're not close enough to hear it and not many people pay attention to it. I'm not sure if VW still has this type of alarm or any other manufacturers have it but it should be common on all vehicles this way the cars won't be crying wolf all the time.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 11:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:Personally I put a tint on my windows for this and a few other reasons, I figure if its hard to see in, they are less likely to smash a window and want to come up empty handed, plus it helps if I happen to forget that I've left something in the car. But be forewarned windown tinting in NJ is not 100% legal, there are some limits.

DO NOT take Anonymous' advice. Tinting the front driver and passenger windows is not legal in NJ, and you will fail your DMV inspection (and they will make you remove the tint before they pass you again).

Posted on: 2008/6/10 5:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/6/10 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

But again, this thread is more about being broken into and not stolen...

I think you're splitting hairs here. I'm sure the original poster is just as inquisitive about the actual vehicle being stolen as well...

Posted on: 2008/6/10 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Okay, so do bad guys break into just about any cars? Or do they choose more expensive cars? I drive a Honda civic, and I just don't see how anyone can benefit from breaking into my car. Should I still be concerned? Or unless I have a more expensive car, I won't have to worry about it? Since it's an old and cheap car, I'm not afraid of the cost to fix it. But I just hate to have the inconvenience.

But removing a fuse sounds like a great idea. Does anyone else do that?

Atsushi

Just look around the neighborhood and take note of what cars are the most "modified" etc. I see an awful LOT of Honda Civics. They are A-Cheap, B-Easy to get parts, C-easy to "ghetto mod"

The "ghetto-ness" (if thats a word) has nothing to do with it. Also among the other most frequently stolen youwill find the Accord, and Camry because so many are on the road that there is a market for parts.

But again, this thread is more about being broken into and not stolen...so I dont think the car itself has much to do with it. Personally I put a tint on my windows for this and a few other reasons, I figure if its hard to see in, they are less likely to smash a window and want to come up empty handed, plus it helps if I happen to forget that I've left something in the car. But be forewarned windown tinting in NJ is not 100% legal, there are some limits.

Find a car that is not as popular, and get the 100% monitary replacement insurance for the new vehicle, not just the book value.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 17:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/9 19:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Okay, so do bad guys break into just about any cars? Or do they choose more expensive cars? I drive a Honda civic, and I just don't see how anyone can benefit from breaking into my car. Should I still be concerned? Or unless I have a more expensive car, I won't have to worry about it? Since it's an old and cheap car, I'm not afraid of the cost to fix it. But I just hate to have the inconvenience.

Atsushi

Just look around the neighborhood and take note of what cars are the most "modified" etc. I see an awful LOT of Honda Civics. They are A-Cheap, B-Easy to get parts, C-easy to "ghetto mod"

The "ghetto-ness" (if thats a word) has nothing to do with it. Also among the other most frequently stolen youwill find the Accord, and Camry because so many are on the road that there is a market for parts.

But again, this thread is more about being broken into and not stolen...so I dont think the car itself has much to do with it. Personally I put a tint on my windows for this and a few other reasons, I figure if its hard to see in, they are less likely to smash a window and want to come up empty handed, plus it helps if I happen to forget that I've left something in the car. But be forewarned windown tinting in NJ is not 100% legal, there are some limits.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
must be all those coke heads at Barrow bar looking for money to pay for their next fix.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/9 14:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/28 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
After having our car broken into a few times, and then stolen (right by barrow bar as well) we have considered putting a plank of wood with nails driven in it placed on the seat. I know a guy who did this and found bood on the nails not more than a week later. The prospect of having some bloody guys ass in my car persuaded me not to do it. Plus when my car was stolen, it was broad daylight!

Posted on: 2008/6/9 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Civics are probably the most likely to be stolen of all, no offense. Common cars, commonly needed parts.

My car was stolen a number of years ago downtown. Was recovered, somewhat stripped. Cops said I was lucky because oftentimes they're not stealing it to sell but to commit ANOTHER crime- ie, steal your car, hotrod around town robbing people, then dump it somewhere. Then it probably becomes evidence, and you will have to go through a lot more annoyances getting it back.

There are cars that are easy to steal & their are cars that are harder to steal, but there are no cars that are impossible to steal. Design's suggestion is a good one, but even then, if someone was dead balls set on getting that car, they'd just flatbed it..... possibility of that happening? Probably >.001% but still could.

Leave NOTHING in your car. That is my only advice. Not an empty bag, nothing. No change in the cupholders. Nothing.

When it's new car time I always ask what the anti-theft is like. Chief- Your BMW- That surprises me. If he's punching locks he probably isn't going to be able to steal that sucker- They have a chipped key that's pretty decent, no? Not that it can't be done, but if he's just trying to pop locks I find it unlikely he's going to whip out his electronic spoofing equipment once he just overpowers the door.

I read a story about high end carthieves who get the VIN # off the dash through the window & then call BWM/other luxury car makers & pose as a locksmith or a dealer & ask for a replacement key. If they succeed, chirp chirp, they just cruise by & drive it off with the key, no B & E necessary.

Another one of those things that are highly unlikely. Nevertheless, I threw a piece of paper over my VIN. Probably does more harm than good, but whatever.

GWB

Posted on: 2008/6/9 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
If your car has been damaged in an attempted car robbery, you should log it into the Downtown JC Watch group or file a police report.

At the Downtown JC Watch meeting or the Captain's meeting, you will find out that a string of BMW robberies or 97 Honda robberies have been occuring lately. If it is a series of robberies, the robbers are usually caught. This too, can be found out at the meetings.

Just remember to please remove your GPS and your GPS holder from the car as well as any valuable items. Even if you remove your GPS, the holder may indicate that it is hidden in the car.

Also note where you park your car. Dark areas may be ideal for hits. You may look into requesting a street light be installed in front of your house (FOR FREE) or request that trees be trimmed.

A key car alarm, one where the owner is notified from the key chain, that someone is attempting to open the car door is a good way to "catch someone in the act."

Good luck and be safe.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/9 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Somebody attempted to break into my car Thursday night on the South West corner of Barrow and Mercer between 1:15 and 2 AM. They didn't get in but messed up my door handle and scratched 2 panels. I was in Barow Bar for less than 45 mins and this was right across the street from the smokers outside so I'm still scratching my head as to the balls of the perp. If anyone saw anything please PM me. It's a dark blue 07 BMW 328 coupe. It's my baby and it really pisses me off that it's all scratched up. I would have loved to catch this SOB in the act.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Get the club, they may get into your car but at least you can make it more time consuming. Perhaps you can get an anti theft insurance policy where if you car is stolen and not recovered then you recoup every dime you paid for the vehicle. I think the vehicle has to be new to take out this policy.

ahahahahahaha!!!!!!! Man, that's a great one! I think every car stolen uses the club. They present about a 1/2 second of extra time to a thief. Here's a little known fact. You know that little horseshoe shaped thing that hooks to the steering wheel? It's HOLLOW! So with a good hard smack with your bare hand, it will break. I know this because of my 2 cars that were stolen, the club was broken like this and in the back seat. After a little digging, I found out that this is pretty common.

Best thing to do is locate your engine fuse box and remove the ignition fuse every night. They may break a window and break your steering column, but they sure as hell aren't going anywhere in the car.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
personally i would stay away from parking on coles. my recommendation in your area would be to stay on 5th street in between jersey and coles or eerie and jersey

Posted on: 2008/6/8 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jangie wrote:
My recommendation is to put it in a lot or pay extra on insurance such that any breakins won't hurt you financially.

Agreed. I lowered my comprehensive insurance deductible to $100 just in case of a break in and it really isn't that much more expensive than a $500 deductible.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

Yes it's called using common sense. Pay for a parking lot, dont get an expensive car, or roll the dice and take a small risk.

Although i heard stories about a magic parking spot between coles and pavionia where an angry genie will protect your car from any theft attempts.

Get the club, they may get into your car but at least you can make it more time consuming. Perhaps you can get an anti theft insurance policy where if you car is stolen and not recovered then you recoup every dime you paid for the vehicle. I think the vehicle has to be new to take out this policy.

Time consuming to do what? They don't steal the car, they break in and steal what they can.

And if they are stealing the whole car, they're probably professionals, and are aware how easy the club is to defeat. Even kids and crackheads know that a steering wheel can be cut through.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 10:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
My recommendation is to put it in a lot or pay extra on insurance such that any breakins won't hurt you financially. When my car was broken into, my $750 deductible did absolutely nothing to cover the loss of my CD player or the cost of repairing the broken window... putting it into a lot made it so I didn't have to deal with the hassle of getting it fixed.

There's also the standard advice about having absolutely nothing of value, or anything even possible to be construed as implying that something is of value visible from outside of your car. Cars have been broken into simply for having the mounting hardware for GPS' visible.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 10:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

Yes it's called using common sense. Pay for a parking lot, dont get an expensive car, or roll the dice and take a small risk.

Although i heard stories about a magic parking spot between coles and pavionia where an angry genie will protect your car from any theft attempts.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 8:57

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017