Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Summer's Over, But is the Crime Wave?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Peabody wrote:
Quit voting for Democrats. They coddle criminals. Look at all the worst cities, all run by Democrats. I'm not some right-wing nut, but I'm not an idiot either. I see what's up.

That's actually the wrong way to approach change in Jersey City. First of all, JC municipal elections are non-partisan, held in May. This of course does not prevent certain party machines from involving themselves and motivating their voters to come out and vote, but there are can be and sometimes are multiple democrats running in a non-partisan election.

As far as county, state, and federal elections, the districts representing Jersey City are stacked so heavily in favor of democrats there is little to no chance of a democrat not winning. Instead, vote in the Democratic Primaries and help select whether the machine candidates or the alternative candidates receive the nomination. In the most recent primary, one state legislative district went to the party machine, and the other to the alternatives.

But you are on to something when it comes to crime. The political machine that controls most of Jersey City receives most if not all of their votes from wards outside of the downtown. In part this is because the downtown has fewer people than the rest of the city, but also largely because the downtown has very low relative voter turnout. In short, your neighbors aren't voting, so city hall is ignoring them.

Posted on: 2007/8/31 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
Personally I dont care about democrat or republican. i do care that the mayor seems totally out of touch with the facts. The facts show there has been almost no improvement in the crime figures in JC over the past 18 months, despite considerable spending (+25% or so) and he has the nerve to stand up in the local press and claim things are better.

Now go to www.njjcpd.org, look at the published stats, and tell me my +25% increase in police funding is well spent.

Posted on: 2007/8/31 5:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
If anything, it's the other way around - high crime cities tend to be the poor ones, and lower income people are more likely to vote democrat. Cities that are richer are more likely to vote republican.

The political parties are not the cause of crime rates. And by the way, fun fact: NYC crime actually dropped significantly under David Dinkins because he put tons of new police on the street. Giuliani basically just rode the trend (not to mention the rising economy) and claimed the credit.

Posted on: 2007/8/31 4:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
thats hardly the problem!

or to counter that argument one could say that republicans are worse for inner city poor and worse for public programs/mentoring/education initiatives, which may feed the cycle of crime an poverty that plauges our country.

its not nearly as simple as blaming democrats.

although politicians could always do a way better job at everything they do. not to mention corruption within governments.

Posted on: 2007/8/31 4:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/9 19:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quit voting for Democrats. They coddle criminals. Look at all the worst cities, all run by Democrats. I'm not some right-wing nut, but I'm not an idiot either. I see what's up.

Posted on: 2007/8/31 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
They did catch this homeless guy who was on a roll.

Click here

That doesn't really explain the 3 car break ins dated after the article. Unless he was released on bail.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
Compare JC to anywhere close. We got the highest personal crime rate...even compared to Newark.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneym ... /snapshots/PL3436000.html

Interesting too that we have 1000+ police officers, that average under 1 arrests per MONTH!!!

http://www.njjcpd.org/

We recently increased the number of police (+25% i think) as part of the supposed crackdown on crime. Look at the stats on the JCPD website. Despite the political spin and the increased funding - I see no real difference.

As a taxpayer i'd like to know wtf is going on.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 5:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
They did catch this homeless guy who was on a roll.

Click here

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

excerpt...

Car Break In, August 29, Mercer at Jersey
Car Break In, August 27, Mercer between Varick and Jersey
Car Break In, August 27, Montgomery between Jersey and Barrow
Car Break In, July 27, Third between Jersey and Erie
Car Break In, July 12, First Between Colgate and Merseles
Car Break In, July 5, First Between Erie and Manila
Car Break In, June 14, Third at Jersey
Car Break In, May 23, York between Barrow and Grove

There are two questions still unanswered. 1. How much longer does this have to go on before the police and city leaders give a hoot? 2. How much longer can this go on before people start fleeing the downtown like its 1968?

Posted on: 2007/8/30 4:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i live in brooklyn (i'm in JC all the time and right now as a matter of fact, because this is where my gf lives and i may end up here soon as well)... my neighborhood has a couple blogs and not a forum. the blog rarely posts about crime unless it seems major, big drug bust or a big fire, etc. i know this is not because it isn't happening, obviously. you just don't hear about it as much. but its very common i'm sure. the same goes for other areas near me in bk. you hear about of muggings up in prospect heights though. its common for people to get mugged after they leave the Q train stop at 7th ave right in the little 'utopia' of park slpe. same kind of shit as you hear about on this board, so, don't think JC is any worse or better. JC is however, considerably smaller. I'm not sure how the per person etc percentages work out in comparison to nyc areas though. Also if you live near projects you're going to hear about more things than if you didn't. There are plenty of neighborhoods that are deemed 'safe' and 'hip/cool' or 'gentrified' that are close to projects. Same stuff different location.

JC also seems to have a pretty involved community, esp at this website, that keeps people informed when the local news does not.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
don't forget the "welcome to the neighborhood" gunshots on mercer street this past Monday August 27th at 2AM.

Having spent the past 10 years in downtown nyc, anecdotally the crime is much more significant here. All you have to do is walk around and see the leftover car window glass scattered about the sidewalks.

Seems the police should put the same effort into crime prevention that they do into writing parking tickets..

I think the question is do the people moving into the "luxury" high rises feel the crime and do they put up a big stink. Seems like a bare minimum is done around the brownstone neighborhoods currently.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 1:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
ianmac47 wrote
Quote:
Also, I am almost certain there was at least one more mugging not listed on Erie, I think Erie and 5th,

I live on 5th & Erie ... I have not heard anything about a mugging.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:

If there have actually been 8-10 assaults and 10-12 car break-ins all summer (as suggested in Ian's list), that actually would seem not out of the ordinary for an urban area to me. I am sure there's more, though.

I was thinking the same thing. The stats don't really seem that bad. Considering the size of the city and it's close proximity to other large urban areas like NYC and Newark, and downtown's close proximity to public housing projects (Montgomery Gardens, Holland Gardens) I would say we are doing relatively well.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 23:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/5 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

The new Jordans go for $165.00 retail.

First day of school's coming and a playa's gotta represent.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
... Crime definitely spikes during the summer and the end of August seems like a particularly busy time each year.

One of the busiest weekends for Disneyland in CA is the weekend before Labor Day. All the parents in California who promise to take their kids to Disneyland over the summer leave it to the last minute and mass crowds descend on the park that weekend. Happens every year.

So it's kinda like that. JC-style. With gangs and crime.

Sweet-slash-yikes.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Keep in mind the list was based only on posts from JCList, which is not the entirely population of the downtown. Further, it excluded house burglaries, though between JCList and Wired I think there were two or three. Also, I am almost certain there was at least one more mugging not listed on Erie, I think Erie and 5th, but I could not find a post to confirm this with a date (posts are great because they are dated and people usually say, tonight or yesterday, X Happened). There were also rumors of incidents in Paulus hook, not listed here, and the dash and grab from in front of Ibbys was not listed.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with jenny that some context would at least be helpful. That way we could see how bad it is and really put pressure on the city, or stop bitching so much.

If there have actually been 8-10 assaults and 10-12 car break-ins all summer (as suggested in Ian's list), that actually would seem not out of the ordinary for an urban area to me. I am sure there's more, though.

My guess is that this week in particular is bad because so many cops are taking their summer vacations before Labor Day. Crime definitely spikes during the summer and the end of August seems like a particularly busy time each year.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 22:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

nikkiinnj wrote:
Maybe this is something that can be addressed at tonight's meeting.

What mtg is that nikki??

JCPD West District Town Mtg: Wed, Aug 29 @ 6PM

The one that unfortunately I have to miss.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikkiinnj wrote:

What mtg is that nikki??

Posted on: 2007/8/29 22:02
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
I would be curious to see crime stats for a similar neighborhood in Manhattan or one of the other boroughs.

This is not to say that the stats are not alarming -- I'm just wondering if it's so out of the ordinary for urban living.

Sincerely,
VVP Yuppie in Denial

Posted on: 2007/8/29 21:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
they all say that, i think they're thinking 20 year averages or something... sure its down from the 80's. now please try for something more impressive.

Posted on: 2007/8/29 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Crime is down considerably! -healy

Posted on: 2007/8/29 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
sure am happy we live in the (relative) safety of the Heights! sounds like downtown is a darn war zone!!

Posted on: 2007/8/29 19:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/8/29 19:04

Summer's Over, But is the Crime Wave?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The downtown has in recent years been known as the safe neighborhoods of the city, spurring redevelopment and an urban renaissance. But the success of revitalizing any city is tied closely to public safety. This summer has been a miserable failure by city officials to maintain public safety. Despite a brief presence of police following a number of assaults and a rally in the Van Vorst Park, anecdotal evidence suggests we're not much safer. Check out this list of incidents from the past few months, based on JCList postings-- which means there could be more.

Car Break In, August 29, Mercer at Jersey
Assault, August 27, Newport Parkway
Car Break In, August 27, Mercer between Varick and Jersey
Car Break In, August 27, Montgomery between Jersey and Barrow
Car Break In, July 27, Third between Jersey and Erie
Car Break In, July 12, First Between Colgate and Merseles
Car Break In, July 5, First Between Erie and Manila
Assault, June 25, Varick at York
Assault, June 19, Varick at York
Car Break In, June 14, Third at Jersey
Assault, June 17, Seventh at Brunswick
Assault, June 12, Tenth at Coles
Assault, June 1, Second at Coles
Car Break In, May 23, York between Barrow and Grove
Assault, May 14, Tenth at Coles
Assault, May 12, Erie at Fourth

There are two questions still unanswered. 1. How much longer does this have to go on before the police and city leaders give a hoot? 2. How much longer can this go on before people start fleeing the downtown like its 1968?

Posted on: 2007/8/29 18:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017