Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
16 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 16

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (JSalt)




Re: What does everyone think of the Bailout?
#1
Home away from home
Home away from home


Wow, massive Dan Quayle acid flashbacks. Which is weird, because I was 13 at the time - what was I doing with acid?!

Posted on: 2008/9/30 3:56
Top


Re: What does everyone think of the Bailout?
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Sadly, I think you might be right about this. I almost feel as though someone has kidnapped our children for the third time, and now we're saying "Screw those idiots and their ransom demands. I've had enough. They can KEEP the kids!"

Posted on: 2008/9/30 2:58
Top


Re: What does everyone think of the Bailout?
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Don't worry, the corrected, or rather revised NJDiver bailout plan will still give you enough money to get that flat screen tv out of layaway.

Although come to think of it, the way these assets were being valued by the investment firms, maybe every American's share of $85 billion really IS worth $425,000!

Posted on: 2008/9/25 18:56
Top


Re: What does everyone think of the Bailout?
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Um, I think your math is off by a few zeros.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 17:58
Top


Re: What does everyone think of the Bailout?
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Just to back up to a claim a couple of people were making upthread, I think that while reckless borrowers/homeowners share some blame here, it's the smallest part of the blame.

I don't think American's magically became way more irresponsible in the last 10 years, so you have to ask WHY there was a sudden epidemic of people taking on debt they couldn't handle. I mean yes, some of it is stupidity, inadequate financial knowledge, petty personal greed, delusion etc. But going up the ladder, who do you blame most?

- The first-time homebuyer who, at the STRONG encouragement of a broker, takes on a loan he can't really afford but thinks he'll be able to afford because housing prices are going up.

- The mortgage broker who KNOWS the guy can't afford the loan but is happy to be dipping his hat into a river of money and doesn't have to worry about the consequences.

- The lender who, in spite of being in the lending business, does not do due diligence on the loans it is making

- The I-bankers who sell off packaged loans as investments, knowing that the risk assessments and ratings are based on dubious assumptions about housing prices

Posted on: 2008/9/25 13:00
Top


Re: Brooklyn-based Damascus Bakery, that primarily makes pita & flat breads in talks with Jersey City
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Greetings Jersey Cityans. I haven't been around here much because I've moved to Brooklyn.

As it happens, I live around the corner from Damascus Bakery, and I literally just finished one of their delicious baklava. You guys are really lucky if you get a Damascus near you - their pitas, spinach pies, prepared salads, etc. are fantastic.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 19:33
Top


Re: towing at shoprite?
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


I saw them towing someone today. I have to say, that truck they use is impressively quick - just slides right under the car's front wheels and off it goes.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 23:13
Top


Re: September start for Powerhouse District's first condos -- Developers "remain bullish" on Downtow
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


Well it sure sounds like bull ish to me.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 4:31
Top


Re: the most profound movie that will blow your mind
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


No offense, but judging from that letter, your friend doesn't sound like the brightest bulb.

Posted on: 2008/7/15 15:57
Top


Re: Whole Foods in JC?
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
"Fancy grocery stores" are "so great and needed" because the demographics in JC is changing, as are our educational/professional backgrounds, levels of disposable income, health/dietary requirements, and more importantly, tastes.


Apparently the demographics aren't changing to the extent you claim, because if they were you'd be getting your high-end supermarket sure enough.

Posted on: 2008/7/13 5:17
Top


Re: Photogaphy illegal in public places? PA didn't get the memo
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


yeah, I saw a guy get yelled at today on the WTC PATH train escalator. Was told "No photography. Put the cameras away." Is it code orange juice or something?

Posted on: 2008/7/9 3:55
Top


Re: Journal Square / New York Times: Ambitions Expand at Canco Lofts
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


Chances are this is just a case of smart business people trying to squeeze every cent they can out of a corrupt, short-sighted and stupid municipality. A Russian company should know how to do that better than anyone. They are passing the cost of lowering prices on to the city (in the form of reduced taxes) rather than lowering prices because they can. Because the weak market gives them an excuse.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 18:55
Top


Re: Journal Square / New York Times: Ambitions Expand at Canco Lofts
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Coalco is a pretty well-heeled international firm. They appear to have eight or nine massive developments in the New York area alone and a bunch more in Russia. One of their co-owners is #260 on the list of the world's richest people and is worth in the range of $4 billion.

I don't think they're going to run out of money. I think they can "weather the storm" just fine.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 18:44
Top


Re: Journal Square / New York Times: Ambitions Expand at Canco Lofts
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


I don't think Coalco is going to "run out of money" anytime soon...

Posted on: 2008/6/29 18:14
Top


Re: Cafe Saigon / best vietnamese
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

GangsterNo1 wrote:
Dude, JSalt..why would you continue to eat at a place with that ratio of 'chinese food'...when it's a vietnamese place...give the Cafe Saigon a shot, trust us. You go once, you'll say good bye to that other crappy place


Just don't understand this logic. Nha Trang probably has 20 things under $10 that I find delicious - why would I not eat there just because I don't like some of the other items?

Meanwhile Saigon Cafe is expensive enough that if I'm going to bother with it I'd rather just go somewhere better.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 2:34
Top


Re: Wine Bars in JC - near Paulus Hook?
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


I liked Majestic a lot when it first opened but it seemed to undergo a slide. I just had a few bad experiences there in a row. And they play awful music inside, although the outside is nice. There's no harm in trying it once.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 18:50
Top


Re: Wine Bars in JC - near Paulus Hook?
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


The Majestic on Grove. Oh wait a minute, you said "good."

Actually I think the one you're talking about is City Vino, which I haven't tried.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 16:08
Top


Re: Wall Street Journal: Where Home Prices Are Holding Up /Downtown safest places to hide from downt
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


It seems like the general mistake of economic pundits right now is to think "Things so far aren't as bad as we thought they'd be, so they're probably not going to get as bad as we thought they would," while ignoring impending problems that we know about.

"Consumer spending outpaced expectations for the month of April, making a recession seem less likely according to leading economists..." etc.

Posted on: 2008/5/21 14:44
Top


Re: Cafe Saigon / best vietnamese
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Nha Trang's menu is tough. About 1/3 to 1/2 of it IS like Chinese takeout, but there are tons of good dishes as well. I recommend the ones in the center of the menu under "House specialties." I also like the hot & sour chicken soup, the pho, the whole fish dishes, the Vietnamese water spinach and the grilled beef and pork dishes.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 18:45
Top


Re: Hearing delay irks gun store owner: Owner's licenses to sell and carry firearms still revoked
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

NewHeights wrote:


It sounds to me it was a witch hunt by anti-gun advocates and I think its going to backfire on them in a big way.


I don't know - looks like Dave is the one doing the backfiring.

Posted on: 2008/5/9 17:24
Top


Re: Sharpton NYC Protests Planned for Wednesday
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Um, guys, the defense was the cops, not Bell. And it was the defense who waived the jury trial, not the prosecution.

Posted on: 2008/5/4 17:25
Top


Re: New PATH trains, then more zip
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Question - can the unlimited 30-day SmartLink card be used to swipe somebody else in right after you? For example, if I had a friend with me from out of town, who doesn't have a card?


In that circumstance, I'm sure if you just explain to the PATH officer that your friend is from out of town and he doesn't have a card, he'll happily let your friend through.

I mean he's from out of town and he doesn't have a card, come on.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 15:54
Top


Re: Dosa Hut
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Dosa House is equally good if not better.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 17:54
Top


Re: Jersey City feeling the effects of recession?
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Janam moved to the West coast, so it's probably not representative. Still, if prices stay higher, the real estate market stays bad and job cuts continue -- especially on Wall Street - you will definitely see an impact around here sooner or later.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 15:44
Top


Re: Wedding cake - bakery
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Oh, wait, I think she might have been named Cynthia? And the bakery was called Cynful. Wouldn't know how to get in touch with her now.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 14:52
Top


Re: Wedding cake - bakery
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

jc2007 wrote:
There used to be a really good bakery on york st near grove where the comic book store is.

I think the owner still makes cakes, but doesnt have a store front.

I forget the name. Anyone know? I know they have her card and info at Tia's by the front of the store.


This woman did our wedding cake. It was fantastic and very reasonable. Some guests said it was the best wedding cake they ever had.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember her name! I will have to ask my wife and then post later.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 14:51
Top


Re: Why Bush Watergated Eliot Spitzer
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


I don't think it's impossible that Spitzer was "character assassinated" for political reasons, but focusing on this editorial is a red herring. If the editorial came out the day after Spitzer's tryst with a wire-wearing prostitute, that means it came out WELL after the investigation was already in motion! In fact the FBI was put on the case in late 2007 by the IRS due to suspicious transactions that appeared like they might be linked to corruption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliot_Spitzer_prostitution_scandal

Posted on: 2008/4/3 3:56
Top


Re: Favorite NYC Italian Restaurant?
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Babbo's tough on short notice though, isn't it?

Speaking of Batali, Otto is pretty good.

Posted on: 2008/4/2 16:29
Top


Re: Barack Obama for President
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
[quote]

I never mentioned WELFARE. I said Social Security and Medicare.

Universal Healthcare IS comprable to both of these because it is a way to try and "share the cost" which didnt work for Social Security OR Medicare since they are supposedly in approximately a $53 BILLION hole that they will never get out of.


NewHeights mentioned welfare.

I'm no economist when it comes to these matters, but my understanding is that Social Security is in trouble because of the way it's structured, and that structure could be changed and fixed. $53 Billion is not as much as it sounds like, especially when you look at the $12 billion/month pricetag on the Iraq war.

If "share the cost/risk" doesn't work at all, why even have private insurance?

Posted on: 2008/3/28 17:18
Top


Re: Barack Obama for President
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Benefit programs like welfare HAVE worked for most people who have used them, which is why the average stay on the rolls is something like 6 months. It's really only a small group of people who stayed on the rolls for long periods of time, and I'd imagine that number has shrunk since the Clinton years.

Universal healthcare is not even really comparable to welfare. It's a totally different concept. Welfare is a safety net while universal healthcare is a national sharing of risk and benefit.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 16:47
Top



TopTop
(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017