Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Shame on you City Council
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:

This. And the city motor pool should be a fleet of small electrics with a range of no more than 30 miles before they need to be recharged.

I would be happy if they just made them drive clown cars

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/11/15 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Construction site and building inspectors need cars to get around the city quickly from one inspection to another. As much as I detest him, the mayor should get a car (but not his press secretary). Aside from police officers, I don't see why any other city employee needs a car, especially city council members, who work part time. If they must drive to different parts of our city, they can pick up a car at city hall from a motor pool.

This. And the city motor pool should be a fleet of small electrics with a range of no more than 30 miles before they need to be recharged. And the recharge stations can be set up to only charge from a city specific plug-in. That keeps the car from wandering down to Bradley Beach.

Why is this so simple for those of us not working at City Hall?

Posted on: 2010/11/15 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Quote:

Haizum wrote:
Couldn't he walk to city hall? Take the bus or PATH or lightrail to other parts of the city? Couldn't we use the money for government vehicles to invest more into our public transit?

Exactly! If public transportation isn't good enough to get them around town, they should improve public transportation! Or ride bicycles!

How about we take away their cars and give them free bicycles?

While it pains me to defend the JC goverment in its entirety, I'm sure there are City employees and officials who do good work, and for whom an official car is a necessity.

Hazium - for now I am choosing to live here (in the Heights, no less!) without a car, and would love to agree with you! But if you take anything beyond PATH, mass transit seems completely hopeless - the busses too easily thrown off schedule by traffice, roads are ATROCIOUS, even my hybird bike is falling apart after a few seasons on our streets.

Construction site and building inspectors need cars to get around the city quickly from one inspection to another. As much as I detest him, the mayor should get a car (but not his press secretary). Aside from police officers, I don't see why any other city employee needs a car, especially city council members, who work part time. If they must drive to different parts of our city, they can pick up a car at city hall from a motor pool.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 19:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Quote:

Haizum wrote:
Couldn't he walk to city hall? Take the bus or PATH or lightrail to other parts of the city? Couldn't we use the money for government vehicles to invest more into our public transit?

Exactly! If public transportation isn't good enough to get them around town, they should improve public transportation! Or ride bicycles!

While it pains me to defend the JC goverment in its entirety, I'm sure there are City employees and officials who do good work, and for whom an official car is a necessity.

Hazium - for now I am choosing to live here (in the Heights, no less!) without a car, and would love to agree with you! But if you take anything beyond PATH, mass transit seems completely hopeless - the busses too easily thrown off schedule by traffice, roads are ATROCIOUS, even my hybird bike is falling apart after a few seasons on our streets.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 19:05

Re: Mayor plans to take back some workers' city cars; Fulop wants them all back
Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters

Posted on: 2010/11/11 9:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
"They need cars for their work."

NEVER assume that Jersey City Councilman DO any work (well, other than their REAL jobs that is...like fireman or funeral director.)

They come together every couple weeks and approve tax abatements...then they take the CASH they received for voting the approval, go home, and put the cash in a bag in the closet. End of job.
They can do this without a car.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JerseyCityKid08 wrote:
I can't believe that Vega said he uses it to go to fires.

...and to count the homeless!

Posted on: 2010/5/3 20:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
I suppose going directly from Jeep Liberties to bicycles might be a little inhumane. We don't want to give anyone heart attacks, after all.

However, they could at least convert the fleet to small electric or hybrid vehicles. There's no need for them to have SUVs to get around 25mph Jersey City. Set up free charging stations at city lots and it will still be plenty convenient for them to get around JC and Hudson County to conduct their business.

The vehicles should never be going up to the Catskills or down to the shore. That's what their private vehicles and ZipCar are for. How dare they change the law to allow themselves private use of city-owned vehicles. What do they think this is?!?!

There is no reason for them to have SUVs or Hybrid Vehicles. This is really insane. I can't believe that Vega said he uses it to go to fires.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
I suppose going directly from Jeep Liberties to bicycles might be a little inhumane. We don't want to give anyone heart attacks, after all.

However, they could at least convert the fleet to small electric or hybrid vehicles. There's no need for them to have SUVs to get around 25mph Jersey City. Set up free charging stations at city lots and it will still be plenty convenient for them to get around JC and Hudson County to conduct their business.

The vehicles should never be going up to the Catskills or down to the shore. That's what their private vehicles and ZipCar are for. How dare they change the law to allow themselves private use of city-owned vehicles. What do they think this is?!?!

Posted on: 2010/5/3 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Which bike incident, are you referring to?

Glenn Cunningham was riding a bike up the hill on either Montgomery or Newark Ave. the evening before he had his heart attack & died.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

coronalime wrote:

Hoo boy! Remember what happened the last time a JC mayor got on a bicycle...

I think the bicycle idea is a good one but how feasabile will it be for their jobs. Some city agencies do use bicycles in their line of work. I saw Jerry ride a bike in a photo-op without a problem which bike incident are you referring to ?
I think the bicycle idea is a good one but how feasible will it be for their jobs. Some city agencies do use bicycles in their line of work. I saw Jerry ride a bike in a photo-op without any problem. Which bike incident, are you referring to?

Posted on: 2010/5/3 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:

Hoo boy! Remember what happened the last time a JC mayor got on a bicycle...

Posted on: 2010/5/3 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
I'm curious.....why Jeep Liberties? Who was the salesperson/dealer? Were they somebodies relative or a campaign donor? Thirty five vehicles at 25 thou a vehicle is 875,000 bucks. Did they get a deal or pay full price? At that volume of purchase an incredible deal should have been obtained. Maybe a nice follow up story for some reporter.

Can you imagine what other items are purchased and at what price ? From pencils, to machinery, to major supplies. And what about the waste that goes un-noticed ??

Posted on: 2010/5/3 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
I'm curious.....why Jeep Liberties? Who was the salesperson/dealer? Were they somebodies relative or a campaign donor? Thirty five vehicles at 25 thou a vehicle is 875,000 bucks. Did they get a deal or pay full price? At that volume of purchase an incredible deal should have been obtained. Maybe a nice follow up story for some reporter.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 3:51
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Car depreciation rate is:
2010 23 cents per mile
2008-2009 21 cents per mile

Vega admittedly used it for personal use. Let's say 1000 of the 1500 miles was personal (being generous).

At the lower rate, he stole $210.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Haizum wrote:

Posted on: 2010/5/2 20:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
lol. I'm so glad they showed where Vega lives. Just three blocks from me. I'm going to go check on that jeep today. I doubt it's there though. With the 1500 miles a month, he probably took it to the Jersey Shore, being that its a nice day and all. Thats the real "Situation".

I do think it is cute that they have Jeep Liberties. It is so appropriate on so many levels.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Did the Mayor seem quite "tipsy" to anyone besides me? And during the day when he's supposed to be at work?

MYFOXNY.COM - Jersey City recently laid off hundreds of municipal workers because of budget problems. That got some angry residents asking why in the middle of this fiscal crisis, the part-time City Council members continue to get free government cars.

Frustrated residents packed a recent council meeting. They are fed up with skyrocketing local taxes. They scolded members of the council, which is a part-time job, for refusing to give up their free government cars, which come with free gas and insurance.

Shame, Shame, Shame: Jersey City Council Free Cars

Click on my bold link at end of my post above to see it for those whose browsers don't show it in post #6.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 6:31
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/7 6:06
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, all this AND we get our taxes reassesed! can i get a free car too?

Posted on: 2010/5/1 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:

And how about Vega's response when asked if he's on call 24/7: "Yes, sometimes I have to go to fires..."

The garbage that comes out of their mouths is just ponderous....

Thank you for that! I watched it live last night and thought I heard him say "fires" but I couldn't believe it and figured I had misheard.

Maybe he let something slip and he's actually a superhero who can put out fires with his icy gaze. Perhaps the Dwek entanglement is one of those good guy-seems-to-have-gone-to-the-dark-side things but we'll find it is a big misunderstanding and El Hombre de Fuego can go back to keeping us all safe at night while bumbling through his days as a mild-mannered bespectacled double-dipper...

Posted on: 2010/4/30 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
What gets me the most is that Vega admitted that he used the car for personal reasons, and so he blatantly used the car against the conditions he was allowed to have it, and doesn't even get a slap on the wrist. Even if it's a verbal reprimand at a council meeting with no consequences, he should be publicly held accountable by having it on his record. Even though he's about to have a record of a much bigger offense.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting this, now i know why i got texts from people saying they saw me on the news (one of the crowd shots)

Posted on: 2010/4/30 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
He gets envelops of Cash fro Developers.

Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Hahah "cars are one of the perks for city officials who make 27K" says Healy. What does Vega do on the side that he can afford a Bed & Breakfast in the Catskills?!

Posted on: 2010/4/30 15:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/29 2:14
Group:
Registered Users
I was able to view the video in the embed above ^^^.

Even if they get the car as a perk, the car should have city tags and city council stickers on the doors. But not sure that will make a difference to them!!

Posted on: 2010/4/30 15:18

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters
If you cannot see the video on post 6 then switch to a different browser.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is anybody else unable to view the video? Blank page.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Hahah "cars are one of the perks for city officials who make 27K" says Healy. What does Vega do on the side that he can afford a Bed & Breakfast in the Catskills?!

Posted on: 2010/4/30 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I almost feel bad for Flood and Vega. They seem mentally deficient, like they have no concept of right and wrong and they can't understand why everybody is mad at them.

Trying to reason with these people is futile. They must be removed by recall.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
And as for Viola's remark about "I pay that tax increase too...",

I'll just say that I'd gladly trade my current car payment, insurance and gas money for the tax increase.

And how about Vega's response when asked if he's on call 24/7: "Yes, sometimes I have to go to fires..."

The garbage that comes out of their mouths is just ponderous....

Posted on: 2010/4/30 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen drunk and stoned criminals on the show "Cops" communicate more coherently than our mayor did in that segment.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 13:56

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017