Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Chase branch closing in Old Colony Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
There has to been a plan. The liquor store's lease was not renewed. Why would you not renew the lease for a tenant who wants one just to leave the store empty.

Posted on: 2016/2/20 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I find it amusing, and quite ironic, that the same people clamoring for Old Colony to be redeveloped according to their wishes are the same type of people that would be losing their shit if the government suggested doing the same: taking someone's private land or property away to make way for "greater" good.

Plainly put, as highlighted by Monroe, that area is privately owned. If the owner wants to lease space to another supermarket (which he has) then so be it. Parks, parking decks (really!?) or any other public use idea would require a HUGE amount of money (to purchase the land, then to develop it) and the city has much bigger fish to try at the moment. Besides, VVP is literally three blocks away (not even a five minute walk) and Berry Lane Park will be a mile away. As for parking, there is plenty of that around there.

Agreed. I think the best best for that area is to replicate what was done with Metro Plaza, albeit with lower-rise buildings to better fit in with the area as well as a restored street grid. 99 Ranch is already coming in, but if a Whole Foods or another high-end store were to anchor the area, that's even better.

Who would be the best person to contact about future plans for the area? I wrote the Ward F councilwoman's office (where it technically falls into), but have yet to hear anything back.

I think you missed my point entirely. There is no one to contact at City Hall, or anywhere else. It is PRIVATE land. They can choose to hold on to it and rent to whomever they want, or they can sell it to someone, or whatever. But, unless people here are advocating for some eminent domain action, there is nothing for the city to do.

As for a Whole Foods, or any other type of supermarket, that it is very unlikely to happen. Usually, when a supermarket signs a lease, they make sure that no other such place can open in the same area by insisting on an exclusivity clause. Hopefully, whoever owns the land will go about attracting some additional new tenants. The McD was rebuilt a few years ago, and the DD is ALWAYS packed in the mornings. LOL.

Point taken. Though one thing the city could do is rezone the area to make it possible to develop in the first place, and DOT would probably have to get involved to break up the superblock and restore the street grid. But I suppose the owner's will ask the city to do that if they have a proposal.

Either way, let's just hope *something*, anything, happens soon. That area is quickly becoming a blight on the area and homeless hangout.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I find it amusing, and quite ironic, that the same people clamoring for Old Colony to be redeveloped according to their wishes are the same type of people that would be losing their shit if the government suggested doing the same: taking someone's private land or property away to make way for "greater" good.

Plainly put, as highlighted by Monroe, that area is privately owned. If the owner wants to lease space to another supermarket (which he has) then so be it. Parks, parking decks (really!?) or any other public use idea would require a HUGE amount of money (to purchase the land, then to develop it) and the city has much bigger fish to try at the moment. Besides, VVP is literally three blocks away (not even a five minute walk) and Berry Lane Park will be a mile away. As for parking, there is plenty of that around there.

Agreed. I think the best best for that area is to replicate what was done with Metro Plaza, albeit with lower-rise buildings to better fit in with the area as well as a restored street grid. 99 Ranch is already coming in, but if a Whole Foods or another high-end store were to anchor the area, that's even better.

Who would be the best person to contact about future plans for the area? I wrote the Ward F councilwoman's office (where it technically falls into), but have yet to hear anything back.

I think you missed my point entirely. There is no one to contact at City Hall, or anywhere else. It is PRIVATE land. They can choose to hold on to it and rent to whomever they want, or they can sell it to someone, or whatever. But, unless people here are advocating for some eminent domain action, there is nothing for the city to do.

As for a Whole Foods, or any other type of supermarket, that it is very unlikely to happen. Usually, when a supermarket signs a lease, they make sure that no other such place can open in the same area by insisting on an exclusivity clause. Hopefully, whoever owns the land will go about attracting some additional new tenants. The McD was rebuilt a few years ago, and the DD is ALWAYS packed in the mornings. LOL.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/18 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/18 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
This area has so much potential. Wide open space to build just about anything (other than hair salons, nail salons, condos or pizza places!).
Why not utilize this space to make a park or something else that services the community? Maybe open a community center?

It would cost millions to purchase, and more millions to turn it into a park-just when a very expensive park, Berry Lane, is opening quite close. Not to mention other neighborhoods would scream because their older parks need renovation.

I don't recall the source, but I remember reading that Old Colony was trying to make space for 'medical arts' offices to move in-with the hospital so close it would seem a good fit for tenants.

Berry Lane is close? I guess, we have a different sense of geography. Berry Lane is probably several miles from Old Colony Square. There are a lot of people now in the Van Vorst area, it could use another park and that area could use a parking garage. Don't tell me they don't want a parking garage, from the town hall meetings, people all over the city has made that request including Ward E.

I just drove it, as I had some errands to run. Berry Lane Park is .9 mile from Old Colony. And don't forget that Lafayette Park is even a few tenths close to Old Colony.

Besides, who would want to remove tax paying businesses and replace them with tax exempt, city owned property? Taking ratables away would seem like lunacy, especially with the reval looming.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Street parking is absolutely not a problem in that area. Perhaps a mixed-use building can include a garage in its basement, but a stand alone multi-level garage is a huge waste of space. If the area is redeveloped right and it gets actual useful stores, car ownership won't even be necessary.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
wholefood!

Posted on: 2016/2/18 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
This area has so much potential. Wide open space to build just about anything (other than hair salons, nail salons, condos or pizza places!).
Why not utilize this space to make a park or something else that services the community? Maybe open a community center?

It would cost millions to purchase, and more millions to turn it into a park-just when a very expensive park, Berry Lane, is opening quite close. Not to mention other neighborhoods would scream because their older parks need renovation.

I don't recall the source, but I remember reading that Old Colony was trying to make space for 'medical arts' offices to move in-with the hospital so close it would seem a good fit for tenants.

Berry Lane is close? I guess, we have a different sense of geography. Berry Lane is probably several miles from Old Colony Square. There are a lot of people now in the Van Vorst area, it could use another park and that area could use a parking garage. Don't tell me they don't want a parking garage, from the town hall meetings, people all over the city has made that request including Ward E.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I'm willing to give it some time to see what happens when 99 Ranch opens there later this year. It could reinvigorate that mall. I have relatives in California who rave about the roast meats at 99 Ranch. I hope they'll have fresh seafood. I'm looking forward to not having to hop in the car when I need "exotic" fresh ingredients like kaffir lime leaves or even Thai basil. I think the two locations they bought in NJ are the company's first foray into the East Coast.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/18 15:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/18 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Is there anyone that can be contacted to put pressure on the owners of that lot to come to a redevelopment plan or sell to someone who will? I know there was this proposal from a few years ago, which ended up never coming to light for whatever reason: http://jerseydigs.com/one-bates-street/

The plaza is mostly abandoned stores at this point and a hangout for homeless. The only stuff left is a bodega, a Rent-A-Center and a Popeye's. A serious look should be taken at having some of the old street grid restored and having the whole area razed and redeveloped, like they're doing for the BJ's/StopRite plaza.

Even if each of the stores in this strip mall were rented out and thriving, the fact that it's 80% surface parking is a colossal waste of space in a dense urban neighborhood. There is no chance it lasts as is for another decade. We'll see something proposed for this, my guess would be in the next couple of years.

Jersey City has dozens of redevelopment plans. Maybe it's time for one more for this site to encourage redevelopment? Mayor Fulop, are you listening?

Posted on: 2016/2/18 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Is there anyone that can be contacted to put pressure on the owners of that lot to come to a redevelopment plan or sell to someone who will? I know there was this proposal from a few years ago, which ended up never coming to light for whatever reason: http://jerseydigs.com/one-bates-street/

The plaza is mostly abandoned stores at this point and a hangout for homeless. The only stuff left is a bodega, a Rent-A-Center and a Popeye's. A serious look should be taken at having some of the old street grid restored and having the whole area razed and redeveloped, like they're doing for the BJ's/StopRite plaza.

Even if each of the stores in this strip mall were rented out and thriving, the fact that it's 80% surface parking is a colossal waste of space in a dense urban neighborhood. There is no chance it lasts as is for another decade. We'll see something proposed for this, my guess would be in the next couple of years.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
A serious look should be taken at having some of the old street grid restored and having the whole area razed and redeveloped, like they're doing for the BJ's/StopRite plaza.

I agree the superblock idea got out of control in JC. Why was 7th terminated, just for a firehouse parking lot? Coles for the school just a few years ago?

Posted on: 2016/2/17 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... nj_tax_break_to_move.html

They're happy to take a generous tax break, but not provide a service to the community.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2016/2/17 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Well, thankfully their phone app check deposit finally works, most of the time. It keeps my visits to a minimum. But I chose that branch for it's parking convenience, back when it was WaMu.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meltedopsicle wrote:
That's unfortunate - I just started using that Chase recently instead of downtown since I drive more now and there's a parking lot.
/

FYI - at the downtown location (on Columbus) you can use the parking garage and they have reserved parking for customers on the bottom floor. It's complimentary for customers. I think it's a 20min time cap.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Entirely possible leases are not being renewed for a redevelopment.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
yeah..they need to a a major re-think for that property...its not too far from light rail.

It's not too far from anything - it's still on the outer edge of the Van Vorst Park neighborhood. It's only a 10 minute walk to Grove Path. It's prime real estate. I'm shocked and amazed that a development proposal has never surfaced here. ESPECIALLY now that Pathmark's gone.

I wouldn't expect this property to look like it does today in 10 years. The land is way too valuable.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 15:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/11/22 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
That's unfortunate - I just started using that Chase recently instead of downtown since I drive more now and there's a parking lot.

99 Ranch (Asian grocery) is planning to move into the Pathmark space:
https://www.reddit.com/r/jerseycity/co ... wins_bid_for_jersey_city/

Posted on: 2016/2/17 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
yeah..they need to a a major re-think for that property...its not too far from light rail.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 14:46

Chase branch closing in Old Colony Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
got a letter from Chase yesterday saying they are closing the Old Colony Mall branch in March.

That mall is increasingly desolate. Still not sure what the heck is going to come of the former Pathmark...

Posted on: 2016/2/17 14:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017