Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: VERY rich friend divorcing; wants 2 BR luxury rental
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
That will improve the area but it's still lacking a lightrail or a path stop.

Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
You sure her very rich friend would enjoy that neighboorhood?

Quote:

MDM wrote:
The area around the Beacon has the potential to turn around pretty quick. The biggest issue are the housing projects next door. They however, are being emptied out and from what I have been told, will then be torn down.

Probably not, which is why I recommended Newport. I was just making a point that its the projects that acts like the dark lands of Mordor, making the area sketchy. Those projects are going bye-bye...

I agree, I would never consider a area without a train. Buses are so 1998.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
Br6dR wrote:

[quote]

True. However, I have a property down on Belmont that can be difficult to rent at times. Its not the transportation issue (my tenants use the bus) that causes the issues. Its the dens of iniquity down the block (Section 8 Housing) that give potential tenants pause (buildings full of people behaving badly).

Not every neighborhood needs a train stop to thrive.

Side note: A while back, someone posted a link to a bunch of old Jersey City Engineering maps showing everything from sewers to the trolly system. The trollies used to go everywhere! There were very few areas in the city you couldn't get to by trolley.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

Quote:

MDM wrote:
The area around the Beacon has the potential to turn around pretty quick. The biggest issue are the housing projects next door. They however, are being emptied out and from what I have been told, will then be torn down.

Probably not, which is why I recommended Newport. I was just making a point that its the projects that acts like the dark lands of Mordor, making the area sketchy. Those projects are going bye-bye...

Posted on: 2014/1/4 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Well, we know the police presence on Communipaw was in direct response to the three shootings in the last two months or so. Sadly the Torch House shuttered quickly, I was hoping that would elevate the neighborhood a bit. Luckily the biker hangout on Johnston was closed real quick, and the rumored social club on Cpaw and Suydam hasn't been approved.

For starter homes it's not a bad deal, but it was touted as up and coming 5 years ago and hasn't really gotten much traction. Nextdoor Lafayette seems to be helping with creating a sense of community.

But the area is still sketchy safety wise, and I don't feel comfortable walking too far in the dark. From talking with Fulop it seems he's not moving here anytime soon, although he's looked into it. That would go a long way to elevating the area.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I would say the OP has probably given up. Hopefully she told her helpless friend to "HIRE A FUCKING REALTOR! I'M NOT YOUR BITCH!"

Posted on: 2014/1/4 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I definitely would not recommend the Lafayette neighborhood (location of the Foundry) to a wealthy person looking for a property to live in/rent. However, if you're looking for a good investment property it's an excellent area to purchase in. After years of backsliding after the real estate market collapse, things are finally looking up. Several multi-family brownstones and row houses have recently sold between 300-500k recently, the police presence on Communipaw has been significantly increased, and there are tons of neighbors (both new and old residents) that are ready to see the neighborhood become the destination it should be.

I bought here about 5 or 6 years now and you'd have to be pretty blind to not see the potential. The proximity to the Light Rail and downtown is a huge boon, there are a good amount of brownstones/row houses, Berry Lane Park should be done in '16 (making us the only neighborhood in JC flanked by 2 huge parks), and we have several market rate housing projects slated to break ground this year. I personally will be organizing plenty of great events this year in our hood as well, so everyone will be welcome to check it out for themselves =). I know this probably wasn't the place for this tirade, but what can I say... I'm passionate.

Good luck to the rich friend!

P.S. Here's a NYTimes article from 2005 about the neighborhood heating up, right before the market crash.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/05/rea ... nted=print&position=&_r=0

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I love the buildings, and like the idea of an anchor to bring the neighborhood up-but I'd let others homestead the area before I'd ever buy or rent there. My g/f is in the Foundry, and in the couple of years I've been dating her the area hasn't progressed, and may have backslid. Three shootings nearby in the last couple of months . . .

Posted on: 2014/1/4 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

The people that live in the Beacon do not live in the area. They live in the Beacon.

I think you destroyed any credibility you may have had with this comical statement. Talk about being in denial of reality!

Posted on: 2014/1/4 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/4 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Pebble you sure are a funny cat. Yes, we understand the building itself is beautiful, but the surrounding neighborhoods are as ghetto as it gets (note I said ghetto implying poor, not a specific race, I already know what you're thinking).

Hell, Fordham University is a beautiful, fenced off campus, but visiting my friends there was always a risky proposition when walking/taking a train there. It is a virtual jungle around the campus where shootings happened daily.

In a sense the residents are prisoners who can't just go for a stroll in a neighborhood because its a crime ridden sh*thole.

I know, I know I'm a racist prick for calling it that. Actually, no I'm not. That's the reality. I have friends who live there and they like the building but wouldn't dare walk from their building to exchange place. Ever. And these are black folks saying this.

You can ignore reality under the whole progressive, reality-agnostic lens you value so much, but the reality is the Beacon is a joke.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I think it's called being smart. Why move into a crime-infested hellhole if you can help it? We all know that if the Beacon didn't offer shuttles, most wouldn't move there.

If you're too poor to live anywhere else that's one thing. But for some sort of misguided macho hubris, to show you aren't "cowardly?" That's just idiotic.

Smart people know which way the wind blows and take the opportunities as they come.

There is almost nothing dangerous about living in the Beacon. It?s a self-contained fortress. The risk to someone?s personal well-being is slim to none. The people that live in the Beacon do not live in the area. They live in the Beacon.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I love the buildings, and like the idea of an anchor to bring the neighborhood up-but I'd let others homestead the area before I'd ever buy or rent there. My g/f is in the Foundry, and in the couple of years I've been dating her the area hasn't progressed, and may have backslid. Three shootings nearby in the last couple of months . . .

The Foundry is a beautiful building in an area that is going to be fine. This was a very bad summer in JC and I don?t foresee that continuing. Think of it like that last gasp before death.

Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

Quote:

MDM wrote:

I don?t think she belongs there if her goal is access to amenities. If you want to be able to walk a couple blocks to restaurants, the Beacon doesn?t work. If you want a luxury apartment complete with spa, the Beacon is a prime spot to look at.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 17:48
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/4 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Haven't you heard the saying "Pioneers get slaughtered, but the settlers prosper?".

Interestingly, DTJC may be an exception that proves the rule (what does that mean?) Many folks like myself who bought in the early 80's have incredible equity in their homes and investment properties. Some who came later lost their shirts. Also, I am pretty certain that most of us 'pioneers' never perceived the neighborhood as terribly crime-ridden, unlike the areas currently being middle-classed.

I purchased my place dtjc in 96 and sold in 2006 and did very well so well I plan to retire at 55. My best buddy purchase his place dtjc in 2007 when it was booming and is currently underwater and filing for bankruptcy. So this little scare tactic is bogus. Dtjc was no so desirable when I arrived, but for me it was awesome and cheap.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Haven't you heard the saying "Pioneers get slaughtered, but the settlers prosper?".

Interestingly, DTJC may be an exception that proves the rule (what does that mean?) Many folks like myself who bought in the early 80's have incredible equity in their homes and investment properties. Some who came later lost their shirts. Also, I am pretty certain that most of us 'pioneers' never perceived the neighborhood as terribly crime-ridden, unlike the areas currently being middle-classed.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 12:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
I have a rental in downtown Jersey City that is in a row house, 2 blocks from the Path, stainless steel appliances and a modern lay out. Message me if you want details.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Haven't you heard the saying "Pioneers get slaughtered, but the settlers prosper?"

Let the macho folk who want to prove they aren't cowardly pioneer owning in that area. Maybe in a couple years that area will be liveable to walk around, and someone can settle then.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/4 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's called being smart. Why move into a crime-infested hellhole if you can help it? We all know that if the Beacon didn't offer shuttles, most wouldn't move there.

If you're too poor to live anywhere else that's one thing. But for some sort of misguided macho hubris, to show you aren't "cowardly?" That's just idiotic.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
The fact that neighborhood is so crappy, you need a shuttle to get anywhere speaks volumes. No one I know who loves there EVER walks anywhere from the apartment. You're either driving or getting the shuttle. It's a joke.

The "value my life" comment is called "sarcasm" Pebs. Come on, lighten up a little.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Either you work for them, or you live there, or both.

You couldn't pay me to move into that neighborhood. I do value my life.

Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:
The Beacon is not a joke!
It is New Jersey's premier luxury condominium development

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
This was a joke, right??

Hell, it made me chuckle quite a bit.

Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:
two words: The Beacon

Wow... cowardly often...?

The Beacon is a gated community that has valet parking and incredible amenities. There isn't much around aside from a decent pizza place, so you wouldn't be going out there much anyway. They also run a shuttle bus to the PATH for you so you wouldn't even need to walk, not that it's a far distance.

I'm not going to argue that it's the perfect destination, but "value your life"... that's quite the hyperbole.

You don't "need" a shuttle to go anywhere from there. The shuttle is a luxury offered to its residents.

You can claim sarcasm now, I'll stick with cowardly...

Posted on: 2014/1/3 23:13
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The fact that neighborhood is so crappy, you need a shuttle to get anywhere speaks volumes. No one I know who loves there EVER walks anywhere from the apartment. You're either driving or getting the shuttle. It's a joke.

The "value my life" comment is called "sarcasm" Pebs. Come on, lighten up a little.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
This was a joke, right??

Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:

The Beacon is a gated community that has valet parking and incredible amenities. There isn't much around aside from a decent pizza place, so you wouldn't be going out there much anyway. They also run a shuttle bus to the PATH for you so you wouldn't even need to walk, not that it's a far distance.

I'm not going to argue that it's the perfect destination, but "value your life"... that's quite the hyperbole.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I'd say the most upscale high-rises are DTJC closer to the water. 77 Hudson? Isn't it 77 Greene Street? I can't remember. When we sold our place we looked at all of them including Maxwell's & Crystal Point, there's a new one right beside the Newport private beach park. Some are owner lease and 2 bedrooms can range from $4800-5600K/month. But all close to Ferry, PATH, lighrail with pools, indoor/outdoor whirlpools, gyms, valet parking, concierge services etc. I didn't once consider the Beacon and wouldn't in light of my preferences, need for proximity to things, safety for family (wife and kid walking dog).

Posted on: 2014/1/3 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
This was a joke, right??

Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/3 22:43
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
If your VERY rich friend wants a luxury 2 brs in Jersey City the only place is 77 Hudson. Period.

Beyond that she better cross over the Hudson in Tribeca and Wall St area.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Disregard this one Silvery. Canal park is not a dog run (despite the publics perception). The only dog runs are in Hamilton and Van Vorst.

The enforcement is stepping up big time for off leash dogs this coming spring/summer, so if your friend has a dog, please don't let her adopt the terrible habits of our current residents/guests.

Quote:

Hamparkvet wrote:
I like Hamilton park but visit Paulus Hook for some of the restaurants. The Canal park is a great place to run the dog as well.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Maybe the rich and apparently helpless woman can just make it simple and move to the Trump building. Could someone look into that for her please? She is much, much too busy.

Who said she's helpless or too busy? link?

Posted on: 2014/1/3 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
I like Hamilton park but visit Paulus Hook for some of the restaurants. The Canal park is a great place to run the dog as well.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
rich is usually double what you are currently making or have.

If she wants a luxury rental in Jersey City I would recommend 70 Greene or the top Newport buildings. Grove Pointe and 50 Columbus have too much construction going on.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps more Brooklyn like -- and there are 2 subway lines and 2 PATH stations for us in Hamilton Park/Downtown -- and tons more restaurants & amenities -- but if you like being in the land of baby buggies -- go for it.

Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
True but the walk from HP to Newport is a little ghetto thru the parking lot. I'm sure the rich friend would have car service or has her own car at her disposal and would not have to take the PATH like the plebes.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Hamilton Park is as close to a PATH station as most of Paulus Hook.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Disregard Hamilton Park. Not exactly close to PATH access. Paulus Hook is probably your friends best bet. Many apartments there have tons of amenities, parking and walking distance to Exchange Place PATH. Some spots near Grove Path are good but not as nice of a neighborhood relative to Paulus Hook.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 0:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/17 3:02
From JC waterfront
Group:
Registered Users
We just moved to the Laguana Building in Newport. Its a 10 min walk to Hoboken along the promenade. Its a great new building quality built and we are fortunate to have the end unit facing the Hudson with a balcony. Give the leasing office a call and ask what/if any is left. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2014/1/3 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Maybe the rich and apparently helpless woman can just make it simple and move to the Trump building. Could someone look into that for her please? She is much, much too busy.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
True but the walk from HP to Newport is a little ghetto thru the parking lot. I'm sure the rich friend would have car service or has her own car at her disposal and would not have to take the PATH like the plebes.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Hamilton Park is as close to a PATH station as most of Paulus Hook.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Disregard Hamilton Park. Not exactly close to PATH access. Paulus Hook is probably your friends best bet. Many apartments there have tons of amenities, parking and walking distance to Exchange Place PATH. Some spots near Grove Path are good but not as nice of a neighborhood relative to Paulus Hook.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 0:30

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017