Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 57

MikeyTBC, brewster, more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (Pebble)




Re: Hatfield and McCoy's on Astor Place!
#1
Home away from home
Home away from home


The thing to note on this is that none of those in the article are "long time" residents as Yvonne would describe. Each moved to the neighborhood from somewhere else but all have been around for over decade. This isn't a "battle" between "old guard" and "new blood".

Posted on: 8/8 12:42
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is a homeless problem in all urban areas because housing that traditionally went to the poor are being used by others. In the mid-1980s, the US population was 229 million, it is now 329 million, an increase of 100 million. This is due to legal and illegal immigration. Immigrants go to cities, the reason for the homeless people in many areas.

"I'll take stupid hot takes for $100, Alex."

Posted on: 5/18 17:11
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Legal Weed Is Coming to New Jersey
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
When is no going to get moving on legalizing marijuana. I read somewhere that NY is now closely looking at legalizing weed.

Much of NJ's financial windfall from this is based on NYers learning that NJ isn't that far away. If NJ is to move, they need to move quick...

Posted on: 5/18 17:10
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Meanwhile back in Seattle....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busines ... s-tax-20180515-story.html

I can't believe all the people that want to help Newark at the expense of Seattle... pretty obvious what is going on and its Jeff Bezos shirking his social responsibilities.


Jeff shirking his social responsibilities?

Seattle caused this chronic homeless situation with strict zoning laws and restrictions that stop anything other than luxury housing from being built (sounds familiar).

They created the problem, now they're trying to send the bill to others. Wish I could do that.



Actually.... my post was sarcastic in nature. I was hoping to get some of the left wing / progressive / communists on the site to respond? In typical fashion, they remain silent, because when one of their own (Bezos/WaPo) is caught in an issue wear facts challenge left wing agenda / dogma.

I don't get where you put Bezos as a liberal. He owns the Washington Post but that isn't a "liberal news" outlet. He has very little hand in what is covered. He does what owners should do and let those that do the research take the story where it leads.

In terms of practices and policies, nobody has ever confused Bezos with a liberal. Socially, sure.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

srs7191 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Actually.... my post was sarcastic in nature. I was hoping to get some of the left wing / progressive / communists on the site to respond? In typical fashion, they remain silent, because when one of their own (Bezos/WaPo) is caught in an issue wear facts challenge left wing agenda / dogma.


Ah, my bad, sarcasm doesn't travel well over text.


I was quite baffled by the post myself. The sarcasm may have been a little too cloaked. I missed it entirely.

The situation in Seattle and in Portland has gotten quite dire. Aggressive panhandling is quite common, drug addiction is rampant, and both cities have seemingly given up on a real solution to either problem. The previous mayor of Portland didn't even run for reelection. Both cities keep extending protections of the homeless population with policies and edicts that go against the best interests of businesses and other city residents. And, let's be clear, no one is arguing for either city to turn their back on the homeless population, just that it find better (and, effective) ways to address the issues.

Wow. Quite extreme... I know people that live in Portland and Seattle. Your dystopian description is from your mind only.

Posted on: 5/18 16:51
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Sports Betting Coming to NJ
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Thank you Gov Christie!

The only thing positive that he did... and his name won’t even be on it. (Serves him right for being a stain on our state.)

Posted on: 5/15 15:33
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Obviously, I’m rooting for Newark in all of this. The benefits are quite large to the community as a whole. Though, I am certainly wary of the downsides that could come with it.

Prudential built itself a new headquarters in Newark which left their old place abandoned. It’s possible Amazon would only have to do some touch-up work to modernize the internals and they’d be good to go...

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am surprised that Kearny was not considered, it has a large open spaces for development.

Unless you are referencing South Kearny, which has no mass transit, streets in terrible shape and no residential area, I’m unsure of what you are referencing.

Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I like Newark too, in fact I love Newark. I'm born and raised there. For a lot of reasons I think Newark, could be a good choice. But i don't think it's going to happen. My guess is going to be Atlanta. The airport is better and the cost of living a lot less than anywhere in the NYC tri state area. But I'll still keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:

jc201jc wrote:
i like Newark - low cost of living, easily accessible to NYC and EWR, lots of good colleges in the area (Princeton/Stevens/Rutgers/NJIT, plus all the NYC schools).

Atlanta pulled itself out with its bigotry towards the trans community and their absurd stance with Delta.

With Amazon’s Audible residing in Newark already, I don’t know if that is a hindrance or a benefit. I'd like to think it is a benefit.

Posted on: 5/15 15:28
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
well, i wonder if people in dtjc voe or complain more. in any event, a reval in another year would just reflect what's fair and proper at the time. revals should be done on a regular basis imo

I agree completely. I think regular revals should occur. Every 5 years or so.

The issue here is, you have three decades where some residents were screwed. They were paying a tax rate double that of those living with much better means. The poor were subsidizing the wealthy. A reval one year later would mean that the poorer areas only receive one year relief to earn back the money they lost over those decades.

Posted on: 3/6 14:30
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: New Tax Rate is Insane!
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Quote:

lecxe wrote:
Your tax bill went up? Well cry me a river. Life ain't fare. No one cares.

Yes, except the reval is actually the epitome of fairness. They're upset that everything is fair now lol.

It's fair until values fall. Jeez. How hard is that to grasp?

Well now that it's fair, they want to change how it's done. They say the old tropes of "we all use the same amount of services so why should our taxes be different". There's a DT attorney on Nextdoor insisting it should be done by income, can you imagine the shitshow that would be? And many of the same complainers would still be complaining.


Well that's crazy. But what could have occurred is that they anticipated a drop in market values and lowerd the values. Instead fulop is already talking another reval post crash

Yes, because Fulop needs to cater to those downtown individuals. he did them the favor of pushing back the reval further. Now, he's going to trigger another with the hope that property values have dropped within the year so that the burden can be shifted back onto the poorer portion of the city.

Heaven forbid those living in million dollar homes pay the proper taxes on their property...

Posted on: 3/6 14:17
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Teacher Protests Disturbing Neighborhood
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I don't know the precise definitions of what constitutes Silver, Gold, and Platinum plans. Suffice it to say that the health insurance plan options are all very good insurance. Low deductibles, low co-pays, large networks, etc.

I would not object to the district agreeing to pick up a larger percentage of the tab IF the options included lower priced insurance, with the percentage going up if the worker chooses a more expensive plan. It's not all in the district's control, however.

The law passed by Christie really is inane. Mandate contributions by workers for several years, then throw it onto the school districts to bargain later. It basically was a way to get a short term budget fix (and he still couldn't balance the budget), stick it to unions, and then leave it to everyone else to handle when he left office.

JP, the point of the label of “platinum” and “Cadillac” is to create a notion that these healthcare plans are these incredible items of luxury granted for free. It is the linguistics of class warfare whereby one group gets pitted against another because that group has something another cannot obtain. It serves nothing other than a need to enflame.

As for the healthcare, I have friends and family that are teachers. I have been told that they make less this year than last due to the rise in healthcare contributions while seeing a decrease in the amount of a raise.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Tbird, AFSCME Iowa has only 29% dues paying members, that's why they're fighting this all over-no mandatory dues in Iowa.

JP, in 2017 all other NJ state unions agreed to small changes in plan coverage, NJ Teachers Union refused. The result was their plan costs went up 8.4% vs 3.4% for the other unions.

Fun facts:
1. Unions created the 5 day work week.
2. Unions negotiate on behalf of the worker and just because you see them as corrupt doesn’t make it true.
3. Right-to-work states have lower wages for workers. This is a proven fact. The Heritage Foundation, a right-wing think-tank, has explicitly stated that this is correct along with multiple other research groups.

The greatest issue in America today is the wealth divide. The “haves” control more and more of the wealth while the “have nots”.

Why anyone would continue to push this sort of agenda is beyond me. In fact, continuing to push towards a welfare state will be our nation’s downfall, if the great pumpkin doesn’t destroy our economy first.

Posted on: 3/6 14:09
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Legal Weed Is Coming to New Jersey
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


This really shouldn't be a debate. Legalization is a slam dunk. You have the successful models in other states already. Throw in the fact that we have major cities bordering our state, we could easily draw in some major revenue via "tourism." Atlantic City could have something drawing people to it, again. Camden could start to make a come-back in some parts as a destination.

The downside could be a much more crowded PATH. The plus side could be that the PATH might be pressured to run more trains later and over the weekend...

Posted on: 3/5 13:09
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Hap Investments to Buy 1 MSF Development Site in Jersey City for $400M
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
... I do not call people mean names...

Nah, you just throw around bigotry and homophobia. That's not cruel at all.

Posted on: 3/2 15:30
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Teacher Protests Disturbing Neighborhood
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Addendum:
Because I know that neither of you two parrots have a single clue about what the NJ Teacher’s Union has for healthcare benefits, I’ll do you both a favor and educate you. This is a link to the specifics on the policies.

...


The doc ony shows payments. Taking the first plan on the list "AETNA FREEDOM10 #018" - gives this link.

http://www.nj.gov/treasury/pensions/h ... lment_2015/sbc/sbc001.pdf

Not an expert - but given the deductibles and max out-of-pocket, that sure looks like it's NJ Gold plan or better. Most private employers take around the same $1k/month but will only provide silver-level coverage. In dollar terms, that's about $12k for ~$25k benefit public sector, compared to $12k for ~$16k benefit private sector.

Not massive. But to be honest I'd prefer to give that $9k difference to teachers as a pay increase. Colletively we need to exert more downward pressure on drug and treatment costs. Teachers and public employees will shop around for treatment if it's coming out of their own pockets. As it stands, public sector plans help create the spiralling healthcare costs.

Comparing it to where I work... To get the same plan, I'd pay $250 per month. If I were to spend $1,000 per month, it would cover me, a spouse and two children or more.

Where are you getting the number that private sector averages are $1k per month for an individual?

Posted on: 3/2 15:08
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Netflix series Seven Seconds (takes place in JC!)
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


I've heard nothing but good things about this series. I haven't watched it yet, but I did like The Killing, so I'm hoping this has the same feel.

Posted on: 3/2 12:51
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Teacher Protests Disturbing Neighborhood
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


Addendum:
Because I know that neither of you two parrots have a single clue about what the NJ Teacher’s Union has for healthcare benefits, I’ll do you both a favor and educate you. This is a link to the specifics on the policies.

Maybe you’ll click on the link or maybe you’ll just go running to whatever right-wing website keeps promoting the lies you’re spewing, but I’m going to throw out the idea that spending $1,000 per month for healthcare isn’t what I’d call “Platinum Plan” or “Cadillac Plan” unless the individuals are actually receiving platinum rings along with a new Cadillac Escalade every single month.

The average starting salary for a new teacher paying off student loans is $47,000. The median salary overall is $62,000.

My personal opinion is that dropping 25% of your pre-tax salary on paying for healthcare is a pretty crappy policy when there is still a copay involved. You can certainly disagree, but I’d love to hear why.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Jeez, Obamacare itself lists four levels-bronze, silver, gold, and platinum. NJ teacher plans are platinum; Gov Christie said he could fund the pension gap if the public sector unions would drop to gold plans.


Obamacare isn't what the Teachers Union in NJ has.

I'll ask again:
Provide the specifics of the teacher's current healthcare plan.
Provide the specifics of your personal healthcare plan.
Provide the specifics on why you are stating the option that NJ Teacher Unions have "platinum" or "Cadillac" healthcare plans.

I don't care about Christie's description. He's a corrupt proven liar. He holds no credibility.

The burden of proof is placed on those making the contention. You claim that teachers have this awesome health insurance. Prove it or backtrack on the statement with an apology stating the actual truth: "I do not actually know what the NJ Teacher Union provides as a healthcare plan. All of my talking points come from right wing websites. I should have known better about speaking on a topic of which I know nothing about."


Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Blame Barack Hussein Obama, I picked up the 'platinum' term from him.

Nice dog whistle there!

Now, please post links and references to Obama referring to teacher healthcare plans as "Platinum Plans".


Oh lovely, back to the future... here is your explanation of the Obama Care metal plans. Generally speaking a number of unions (and companies) had Platinum Plans that were deemed by the Obamacare designers as excessive and outside the guidelines for "normalizing" affordable healthcare for all people.

The IRS started to grant waivers so they would not have to pay penalties attached to their platinum plans... and of course many waivers went to Unions who happened to be big donors. For some reason UAW / SEIU come to mind, but don't quote me on those two.

http://www.medicoverage.com/health-in ... onze-silver-gold-platinum

Oh look, another stupid response to something that wasn’t written!

Since you want to wade in… Please provide the specific fact about what the NJ Teacher’s Union have as a healthcare plan. Barring than, you are yet another parrot that has zero actual knowledge. (I already know the result.)

Posted on: 3/2 12:49

Edited by Pebble on 2018/3/2 13:09:06
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Hap Investments to Buy 1 MSF Development Site in Jersey City for $400M
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I do not want to walk down memory lane, but Schundler was mayor during that time of the 6th Street Embankment. He was aware of the sale and did nothing about it. He wanted the property to go to a lawyer, who is also a developer. As mayor he had the right to take it but he did not. When Glen Cunningham ran for mayor he used that against Tom DeGise who was Schundler's council president. The argument that city hall did not know is not true. Our government allowed this property to slip out of its hands and a private person took it. Those are the facts, Pebble. By the way, I still remember Glenn Cunningham and his wife speaking before the Embankment activists when he ran for office.

You don't actually understand what occurred. The property was sold by someone that had no right to sell it.

Just because a mayor didn't take action then doesn't negate the fact that the property wasn't supposed to be sold by the person that sold it. Arguing otherwise is just dishonest. However, if you'd like to make that the argument, I'll be happy to sell your house and take the profits. You can then have zero ability to complain.

Posted on: 3/2 12:43
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Teacher Protests Disturbing Neighborhood
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Blame Barack Hussein Obama, I picked up the 'platinum' term from him.

Nice dog whistle there!

Now, please post links and references to Obama referring to teacher healthcare plans as "Platinum Plans".

Posted on: 3/1 16:15
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Hap Investments to Buy 1 MSF Development Site in Jersey City for $400M
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
First of all, I do not curse and I am surprise the webmaster would allow this, it degrades this forum. But I do want to respond to the 6th Street Embankment. I am 100% against how the city took this property. The city lied and said there will be a railroad spur, it is in the city ordinance as a rail spur, not a park. If it lies about the 6th Street Embankment, then it will lie about taking your property, too. What ever happened to integrity in government? You do not lie to seize someone’s property.


Nobody seized anyone's property. The individual that claims ownership purchased it illegally. The seller had no right to sell it.

This would be the equivalent of me selling your house to someone else named Joe. Then you coming in to say that I am not allowed to sell the house and that you're taking it back.

Your post is arguing that "Joe" in my scenario should legally own the property. The immense ignorance posited from the post isn't surprising, but it does need to be pointed out.

Posted on: 3/1 16:13
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Hap Investments to Buy 1 MSF Development Site in Jersey City for $400M
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
These neighbors are not against towers in Journal Square, many have said so at many meetings, it is a difference when you have a monster building in a small community. We know that no historic district would allow this so why dump this in a neighborhood consisting of one and two family homes?

I'm pointing out your hypocrisy.

You constantly fight against historical designation (after benefiting from it, the ultimate version of "I got mine fuck you for trying to get yours"). Historical development prevents this type of building. Now you are arguing against this type of building based on what the community wants.

Well, the West Side Community wanted historical designation. They got it and you are fighting against them so that some dirtbag can put up ugly aluminum siding. Your hypocrisy would be astounding if it wasn't so very predictable.

Posted on: 3/1 13:15
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: HAP Investments
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Eran Polack of Hap Investments, an Israel citizen and a developer of Robin Hood in Jersey City got convicted in an Israeli Court for lying about a diamond theft. He filed an insurance fraud claim that he was robbed by Africans who stole his $10 million worth of diamonds. In the meanwhile he was selling these diamonds. So Jersey City knows how to pick developers, scam artists and liars. Robin Hood is the project that got Boggiano elected as councilman for Ward C. His community does not want this project.


The person that fights against historical designation, which would protect areas in scenarios just like this, is fighting against someone coming in and changing the look and feel of a neighborhood... What a fraud.


Fraud? Well here is story in a nutshell, the community who lives there, which is not me, went to the planning board and council meetings to protest against this development. I saw them at various meetings. The proposed property is too large to be place in a neighborhood filled with one and two family homes. They are not against development, neither am I, but I don't know anywhere in JC in which the community is fine with a 42 storied building in a one and two family neighborhood. Do you know of one Pebble? For the record, neither is the present city council is in favor of this development, it was done under Healy.


The developer that purchased the property should be allowed to do whatever they want with the property. Why does it matter what the neighbors want? If the owner wants to building 42 stories or 100 stories, it doesn't matter. It is THEIR property.

... That was the argument you made while defending the dirtbag living in West Side that tried to put up aluminum siding on a historically designated property.

Posted on: 3/1 12:23
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Teacher Protests Disturbing Neighborhood
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The cost of health insurance for NJ teachers is 50% more than the national average, and NJ teachers contribute far less to this than the national average for teachers for their plans. It's due to the NJ teachers union gaming the political system to get a platinum plated Cadillac plan.

“Platinum plated Cadillac plan”… right wing buzzwords used to imply something that, when looking at facts, doesn’t remotely come close to the facts. All the teachers I know pay more for their health insurance than I and they don’t get nearly the coverage and I can easily state that my insurance is pretty shitty.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Keep in mind for 2017 all NJ public sector unions agreed to some tweaks to their plans which kept their plan increase to 3.4%. The School Employees Health Plan Benefits Board refused-and its plan cost went up 8.4%.

Salary increases didn’t match this increase in cost. As such, teachers are making less money this year than last. Throw in the fact that teachers who purchase school supplies on their own will no longer get that tax break… unlike a sales guy that will still get a tax break for mileage put on a car.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And keep in mind JC spends 25% more per student than the state average, graduation rates lag far behind the state average, and SAT scores are in the lowest 15% (not counting the McNair magnet school). Last year, all public sector unions EXCEPT the teachers, agreed to small changes to their platinum health plans. Those plans saw a slight just over 3% increase. The teacher Union refused and saw over 8%.

There’s that “platinum plan” comment again! Please, if you are going to assign a qualitative value to the plan, describe in detail exactly what makes it “platinum”. Then, describe your current health plan, how much you pay and the benefits you receive with it. From there, we can all see how truly full of shit the statement “platinum plan” really is.

As for the spending on schools… the is a biproduct of poverty. Kids can’t afford laptops like in other towns. Teachers are required to deal with mental health issues that other towns don’t have on the same order. Safety at schools, regarding security given the urban nature of the area, is not the same in the suburbs. But, yeah, all schools and students are exactly the same…

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

Strawhat wrote:
Just saw a video online that cops were at the protest this morning pulling over a ton of cars who honked to support the protest. Guess OP's daily calling of the police has worked.


Cops ticketing motorists for honking in support of teacher protest
Updated 3:00 PM; Posted 12:43 PM

By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com

The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY — Honk if you want a ticket!

Motorists driving by teacher protests outside School 4 in Downtown Jersey City have been getting a little present from City Hall if they honk their car horns in support: a $54 ticket.

At least one teacher received a ticket and, according to one source, a police officer was chided by his superiors for blaring his horn while driving by a protest.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... 2box_nj-homepage-featured

Stupid.

Posted on: 3/1 12:20
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: HAP Investments
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Eran Polack of Hap Investments, an Israel citizen and a developer of Robin Hood in Jersey City got convicted in an Israeli Court for lying about a diamond theft. He filed an insurance fraud claim that he was robbed by Africans who stole his $10 million worth of diamonds. In the meanwhile he was selling these diamonds. So Jersey City knows how to pick developers, scam artists and liars. Robin Hood is the project that got Boggiano elected as councilman for Ward C. His community does not want this project.


The person that fights against historical designation, which would protect areas in scenarios just like this, is fighting against someone coming in and changing the look and feel of a neighborhood... What a fraud.

Posted on: 3/1 11:59
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: the factory in berrgen lafayette
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Other than the awful signage the building and interior is amazing. The menu (and website) is a hilarious hodgepodge of bad spelling and syntax.

We went very early, and most of the staff is very, very raw. The food was quite good, but most of the items are priced beyond what the neighborhood norm is. If they massage the menu, put in some less expensive items, and get the staff whipped into shape it'll be a nice addition. I think it's going to end up as a late night lounge, mostly.

I agree with all of this.

I was there early on and the staff was just not the best. The food was passable, but it was late and I only ordered a burger.

What I found frustrating was the bread they put on the table. It was stale.

Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
went once with some friends after 10 pm, yelp is accurate, employees are without clue. Beautiful space, but location isn't best. Won't last.

I disagree on the location being poor. The area is in need of a restaurant. You can see that with how busy Hooked JC is.

I heard the prices were updated. That should help.

I think one of the issues could be the space. The place is so large that you could have 40 people inside and the place would still look empty...

Posted on: 2017/8/29 13:45
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Over 30 Soccer Team needs All Star Players
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Kubala ?

Emeralds. I've a lot of friends on the team and been with them for a few years. Prior, I played with the Kearny Scots.

Posted on: 2017/8/19 8:57
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Confederate Flag added to Liberty State Park
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The British flag honors the caste system that is the monarchy! Take down the Hawaiian flag! We shouldn't honor a system where you have to bow or curtsy to a monarch!

Incorrect. The British Flag represents a collection of nations that is progressing forward and backward at times. However, it is a representation of a collective and not a lone ideal.

The Confederate Flag represented one thing and one thing only: Secession for the sole purpose of owning other human beings.

The *ONLY* reason the Confederate Flag exists on any state flags was a direct push that came with the Jim Crow Laws. They exist as a backlash to the rights given to blacks.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Cornelius Van Vorst had slaves. He also gave the rest of the farm the the village of Van Vorst which later merged with the City of Jersey City for a park. Do we rename the park? If we do I am sure his heirs which still exists might want the land back. Some Van Vorst family members were around in the 1950s.

Wow. You have proven yourself a bigot but I didn’t think you’d go with another stupid argument.

General Lee’s statue has nothing to do with whether he was a slave owner or not. It has to do with the fact that he has one single accomplishment in his life: Taking up arms against his country because they said he couldn’t own human beings as slaves!

Seriously, you want a statue for that guy?

Van Vorst Park is named after him for his notable positives to the neighborhood. What positive did Lee give? Please, be specific when you describe out these positives.

Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Forget the subway symbols, we must destroy the graves of Confederate generals. Dump their evil remains into the ocean.

Please, why don’t you explain the equivalence of a private grave that existed on private property (could become public after historical designation in certain areas) for families to immortalize those they loved versus a statue that was entirely built as a backlash to black people gaining rights.

Quote:
No. It isn’t. It’s a strawman. NOBODY is trying to erase history. People that hate racism want symbols erected for the sole purpose of intimidation taken down. Nobody ever makes the argument that students shouldn’t learn about Gen. Lee in history class.



Posted on: 2017/8/19 8:52
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Over 30 Soccer Team needs All Star Players
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


I'd be all in on this, but I'm already playing in the NJSL with a group of friends. Such a shame as this would be such an easier drive most Sunday mornings...

Posted on: 2017/8/16 14:08
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Confederate Flag added to Liberty State Park
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Please... you have been desperate to be relevant for the past two weeks. We already explained to you that the flags on display are not confederate battle flags but all the state flags of the Union.

Because YOU are offended, the equitable solution is to take down all the state flags and leave the empty flag poles. That will also placate anyone else that takes offense to any other symbolism reflected in the other state flags.

Then can we all be happy?




Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
What - no Trump Flag waving?

Even on Fox News, normally a redoubt of Trump support, with the anchor Guy Benson saying that Mr. Trump “lost me” when he insisted that some “very fine people” participated in the white supremacist rally.

“They were chanting things like, ‘Jews will not replace us,’” Mr. Benson said. “There’s nothing good about that.”


It should be noted that the ONLY reason that the confederate flag is emblazoned on the Mississippi state flag is due to racism (History of Mississippi state flag). They didn't start with a flag containing a flag that represents secession.

The reality is, white supremacy in all its forms needs to be wiped out. There is no place for racism.

Did we leave up the statues of Saddam Hussein in Iraq because of "history"?
Did we leave up statues of King George when declared independence because of "history"?
Do the Germans have statues of Hitler up because of "history"?

Paying homage with a public statue to people that fought for the "right" to own other human beings is unacceptable. The place for such things would be museums notating the dark history and their repugnant cause.

Posted on: 2017/8/16 14:04
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Trump Our New President
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Affirmative action is a racist policy that discriminates against Asians the most.

In fact, a bunch of Asians sued Harvard for this racism, and the case is ongoing.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/lawsu ... rmative-action-1501785317

And guess what they're looking for?

"Asian students recently asked Harvard for data showing academic performance of enrolled students by ethnicity."

Uh-oh, I have a feeling many people here won't like the results of this data!

Another good quote:

"The lawsuit’s allegations formed the basis for a separate complaint against Harvard filed in 2015 by a coalition of 64 Asian-American groups. On Wednesday, the Justice Department announced it would begin an investigation of the complaint, which was filed with the department’s civil rights division and other government agencies."

The bottom line is this racism has gone on for long enough. President Trump might finally be able to end it, if the Asians are not.


Affirmative Action exists due to centuries of racism that prevented individuals from attending colleges based purely on skin color.

More Asians are kept out of schools because of the George W Bushes, The Donald Trumps and the Al Gores of this world than because of a few black kids.

Why aren't you bemoaning the fact that Bush got into a school despite not being qualified? Why aren't you mad that Gore got into a school despite his grades? Why aren't you mad that Trump got into a school despite his grades (and clear stupidity)?

I know people that I went to high school with that were in the bottom 50% but went to top schools due to their parents' wealth. I have ZERO problem with a minority student getting in with possibly lower grades.

Then again, you're the boards foremost racist so I'm certain none of those white privileged kids bother you in the slightest...

Posted on: 2017/8/3 16:57
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Trump Our New President
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

Hamparkvet wrote:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politic ... arvard-affirmative-action

"As Trump takes aim at affirmative action, let’s remember how Jared Kushner got into Harvard"


or how Don Jr. got into Wharton.


...or how George W Bush got into Yale.

But, no, let's go after black kids! That is the serious problem.

Posted on: 2017/8/3 16:00
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Historic district may come to Jersey City's West Side
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


There are some very important things that a lot of people are overlooking here...

1. The city is NOT driving up and down the streets looking for people doing work on their homes. They aren't checking for permits.

2. This individual was turned in by his neighbors. I don't know which neighbors, but I know that several neighbors called the city to complain about the type of work this person was doing.

3. The individual explicitly stated that the entire purpose for the vinyl siding was so that he could rent the house out and move to Portugal.

4. The individual's permits did not state what the material of the new siding was which is why the permit passed.

5. The city's website EXPLICITLY states that vinyl siding is NOT permitted. It is possible that another material that isn't wood could be but vinyl is definitely a no-no.

Lastly, having listened to Fernandes speak about this, my take-away was that he's a guy that had no interest in restoration. He purchased a home and was looking for a cheap fix. He's also very dishonest in his explanation on the series of events and he's simply looking for a pay day from the city.

He could have complied with the city's rules and regulations for the area rather quickly and for a lot less money than the lawsuit along with the wear and tear on the building along with the wasted money on the vinyl siding he purchased. Instead of that, he played "victim" and got lawsuit happy.

I have zero pity for the man.

Posted on: 2017/8/3 15:18
Dos A Cero
Top


Re: Trump Our New President
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
I find it quite funny how delicate and pathetic the white males are on this message board. Seriously, colleges are predominantly white but a few people get a chance to better themselves and they cry foul. There has never been a white person denied a college education due to a minority getting into one school.

The fact that they decide to continue their racist agenda really shows how pathetic they are.

What happened to "picking yourself up by your boot straps" or "overcoming obstacles"? Seems that those slogans only apply to minorities.

Such a sad lot you people are. Your wittle feewings were hurt...


More progressive racial double talk ... "There has never been a white person denied a college education due to a minority getting into one school."

A "college education" and "college admission" are very carefully chosen phrases... there have been white people denied college admission to the college of their choice because of minority preferences, over academic performance.

This practice has been upheld by SCOTUS. If these little white racist students wanted to pick themselves up by their bootstraps, perhaps they should consider attending a HWCU?

If those white students were better students then they would have beaten out other white students in order to get into the school of their choice. They FAILED to do so. As such, they bemoan the fact that someone else gets a chance.

It's a pity that you fall into the category of protecting the poor wittle delicate snowflake that wasn't smart enough to get into the school they wanted to.

Additionally, I want to point out that Duke, Notre Dame and whole host of other schools provide college slots to white students that wouldn't have gotten into the school if it wasn't for their athletic ability. Many of those students wouldn't have been accepted to the school based on academics alone. Instead, they got there through athletics and barely passing the minimum academic requirements. Why aren't you bemoaning this policy?


Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Now we have the full transcript of Trump's phone calls with Mexican President Nieto and Australian Prime Minister Turnbull.

Trump admits he is in a tough spot, politically, with all those chants of making Mexico pay for his border wall. He sounds like a child asking Mexican President Nieto not to say that "Mexico will not pay for the wall".

When Trump has Prime Minister Turnbull on the phone, Trump doesn't seem to understand the details of this agreement between the US and Australia; even after Prime Minister Turnbull tries to explain it several times. All he can think about is himself and how he will look to his supporters.

I guess, at the end of the day, how Trump looks to his supporters is all he cares about. Then again, it is par for the course for politicians to only care about their base. I guess Trump is just like the rest of the politicians in the swamp after all.


The transcripts are comical. Trump is shown for the complete moron that he is. Turnbull is trying to explain that he simply can't take refugees that come by boat and Trump cannot understand. The explanation of human trafficking is too complicated for his simple brain.

I also loved how he said that he knows how to build cheaply. Basically, what he does is not pay the labor bill! So, yeah, when you refuse to pay certainly contractors money, it certainly does come out cheaper! He can't simply do that when you are the United States Government.

Posted on: 2017/8/3 15:02
Dos A Cero
Top



TopTop
(1) 2 3 4 ... 64 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017