Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
40 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 40

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Re: Legal Weed Is Coming to New Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Jeez, this looked like it was gonna be so easy.
Not so, according to this article:
https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2019/02/n ... ow-hard-that-will-be.html
I'll believe it when I smell it! J could use marijuana tax proceeds to shore up its pension obligations, capital improvements at nj transit...

Posted on: 2019/2/25 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Jeez, this looked like it was gonna be so easy.
Not so, according to this article:
https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2019/02/n ... ow-hard-that-will-be.html

Posted on: 2019/2/24 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
I think that with the declining influence and biased focus in too many matters media wise that the only expunging that we should be witnessing is an that of an editorial opinion. What matters what they feel?

Posted on: 2019/2/6 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Expungement must be a part of new pot law | Jersey Journal editorial

When it comes to proposed marijuana legalization legislation, we stand with the mayors of the state’s two biggest cities in their demand that automatic and immediate expungement for certain past convictions be included.

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop and Newark Mayor Ras Baraka held a joint appearance last week vowing that they won’t allow marijuana dispensaries in their cities if stronger social justice provisions aren’t included in the legal pot legislation that eventually becomes law in New Jersey.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2019/02/exp ... ey-journal-editorial.html

Posted on: 2019/2/6 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/12/17 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
RichMauro wrote: Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Mayor Fulop: Distribution convictions should be expunged if weed is legalized

JERSEY CITY -

A strong supporter of legalizing marijuana in the state is not satisfied with the current bill to do so in the state Legislature.

Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop is in full support of the legalization of marijuana, but only if the state will also eliminate prior distribution convictions.

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/396 ... nged-if-weed-is-legalized

I can't go with that for the most part as to it's holding up the legalization process. Expungement has many facets and it can be dealt with as a separate issue while the legalization process moves along. In the Jersey City that I grew up in bookies were the order of the day if you wanted to play a number. When the lottery was initiated did all of the bookies who were arrested have the records cleaned up?--no. Go back further to prohibition and people who broke that law and were arrested. Were their records cleaned up? To me it makes no difference whether a record for possession is erased, but let's get it out of the way and move along.
Sadly, US history is not a place to look for justice. It would not be as big a deal if a felony conviction didn't utterly fuck you for life in terms of your employability. Having sold a little weed at 19 doesn't mean that you'll steal from your employer at 30, but no one will hire you for a good job with a felony record. I can understand the reasoning to push for expungment now when there's leverage to be had, rather than later when there's none.

Posted on: 2018/12/12 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

JERSEY CITY -

A strong supporter of legalizing marijuana in the state is not satisfied with the current bill to do so in the state Legislature.

Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop is in full support of the legalization of marijuana, but only if the state will also eliminate prior distribution convictions.

I can't go with that for the most part as to it's holding up the legalization process. Expungement has many facets and it can be dealt with as a separate issue while the legalization process moves along. In the Jersey City that I grew up in bookies were the order of the day if you wanted to play a number. When the lottery was initiated did all of the bookies who were arrested have the records cleaned up?--no. Go back further to prohibition and people who broke that law and were arrested. Were their records cleaned up? To me it makes no difference whether a record for possession is erased, but let's get it out of the way and move along.

Posted on: 2018/12/12 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

JERSEY CITY -

Posted on: 2018/12/12 6:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i thought jc with support from the state had moved to de-criminalize marijuana?
. Cities can?t do that.

Posted on: 2018/12/1 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i thought jc with support from the state had moved to de-criminalize marijuana?

Posted on: 2018/12/1 8:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City tells cops to keep arresting people for pot

Jersey City cops received a reminder this week that pot is not legal yet.

In a memo sent Monday by Deputy Police Chief Mark Miller, all police personnel were told they must arrest anyone they suspect of possessing marijuana, even small amounts.

The warning comes five months after Mayor Steve Fulop announced on Twitter that his administration began deprioritizing marijuana arrests at the end of 2017, and as state lawmakers are on the cusp of legalizing recreational weed.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _arresting_people_fo.html

Posted on: 2018/12/1 6:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
was just reading in guardian that some jurisdictions will permit their police officers to smoke pot as long as they are not impaired on the job... seems common sense to me

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018 ... ficers-marijuana-cannabis

I'd much rather encounter a mellow, stoned, off-duty cop than a alcohol enraged one as many people have.

Posted on: 2018/10/22 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
was just reading in guardian that some jurisdictions will permit their police officers to smoke pot as long as they are not impaired on the job... seems common sense to me

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018 ... ficers-marijuana-cannabis

Posted on: 2018/10/22 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Hold on marijuana offenses has support in Jersey City

JERSEY CITY -- On the same day New Jersey's attorney general announced an immediate adjournment of marijuana-related cases in municipal courts, people in the state's second-largest city appeared to welcome the news.

In Jersey City's Journal Square neighborhood Tuesday, a number of passersby shared their thoughts on the future of marijuana in the state just hours after New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal advised all local and county prosecutors to put a hold on marijuana-related offenses until Sept. 4. 

Many see the move as a prelude to eventual decriminalization and legalization.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _offenses_has_suppor.html

Posted on: 2018/7/26 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey Attorney General and Jersey City to Collaborate on Statewide Directive Mitigating Marijuana Convictions
30-Day Postponement of all Marijuana Cases Statewide to be implemented immediately; Jersey City and Attorney General to jointly draft statewide directive on marijuana charges

JERSEY CITY ? After a Monday meeting between Jersey City officials and The New Jersey Attorney General?s Office an agreement was reached on the path forward addressing Jersey City?s marijuana decriminalization policy and the Attorney General Office?s concerns.

Effective Tuesday morning, a memo was released to all 21 county prosecutors regarding a 30-day statewide adjournment of all marijuana charges and soon-to-be developed statewide guidelines with regard to downgrades and dismissal of simple marijuana offenses.

?This is a huge win for Jersey City, the state of NJ, and most importantly the people who would have been impacted by the creation of a criminal record due to a simple marijuana arrest,? said Mayor Fulop. ?We are excited that Attorney General Grewal and Jersey City found common ground, avoiding the collateral consequences of convictions for marijuana possession while our great state is on the cusp of legalization,? Fulop Continued.

On Wednesday, July 18th, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop and Chief Prosecutor Jake Hudnut announced that the City would dismiss simple marijuana possession cases that come before the municipal courts or amend these charges to local ordinance violations, effectively decriminalizing marijuana in Jersey City. In addition to the racial inequalities and potentially life-altering consequences that stem from marijuana prosecution and conviction, there is a significant cost burden on local municipalities who oversee these charges. But on July 20, 2018, Attorney General Gurbir Grewal voided the policy. While Jersey City disagrees with the Attorney General?s interpretation of applicable law, the City respects the Attorney General?s action and his authority.

However, on Monday, in light of public support for the policy, Jersey City officials from the Municipal Prosecutor?s office, the Department of Public Safety, and the Law Department met with Attorney General Grewal to discuss how the objectives of decriminalization can effectively be implemented both in Jersey City and across New Jersey. As a result of this positive and productive meeting, Attorney General Grewal will convene a working group of criminal justice stakeholders this summer ? including Chief Prosecutor Hudnut ? to study this issue and advise the Attorney General on statewide solutions that achieve the same aims of decriminalization in accordance with existing state law and court rules.

?I took the job as Chief Prosecutor in Jersey City to help build a progressive, proactive, and thoughtful prosecutors office. We want to make sure that Jersey City is at the forefront of these conversations and I?m proud to have pushed this issue from the onset,? said Jersey City Chief Prosecutor Jake Hudnut

The directive will provide guidance on the appropriate circumstances warranting downgrade to local ordinance or outright dismissal of marijuana cases statewide. The aim of this directive will be to mitigate or eliminate the likelihood of disorderly person misdemeanor convictions for simple possession of marijuana while New Jersey is on the verge of legalization of marijuana, as well as the collateral consequences that come with those convictions. Collateral consequences include driver?s license suspension, criminal records, loss of student financial aid, bans from public housing, adverse effects on employment opportunities, and loss of immigration status.

In today?s memo, the Attorney General has further directed all municipal prosecutors throughout the state to seek adjournments of their pending marijuana cases until after September 4, 2018. This means that all open marijuana cases in the state?s municipal courts will be postponed until the Attorney General?s directive is issued and could effectively amount to a moratorium of ? or a substantial reduction in ? marijuana convictions in New Jersey between now and future legalization.

Said Chief Prosecutor Hudnut, ?In adjourning all marijuana cases across New Jersey while a directive is prepared, Attorney General Grewal has put himself at the national forefront of progressive prosecutors. I am looking forward to working closely with him in the coming weeks on this directive, as well as on other issues affecting all of our state?s municipal courts. I believe that all of New Jersey?s municipal courts should exercise integrity and thoughtfully administer justice every day. In Attorney General Grewal, I have found a strong, progressive partner in that pursuit.?

Posted on: 2018/7/24 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
7/23/2018 Mayor Fulop on Good Day New York talking weed... 7:30 am

Posted on: 2018/7/23 11:31

Edited by neverleft on 2018/7/23 11:50:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Unless the state plans to take over prosecuting everyone in JC there's not much they can do about it. Prosecutors have a lot of discretion over how they charge people.
this one reason why i'm frustrated with murphy. how the heck can he talk about legalizing recreational use of marijuana, yet put up obtsacles when fulop wants to decriminalize it

Because there is a process and it takes time. Cities can't just do what JC did

Posted on: 2018/7/21 10:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Unless the state plans to take over prosecuting everyone in JC there's not much they can do about it. Prosecutors have a lot of discretion over how they charge people.
this one reason why i'm frustrated with murphy. how the heck can he talk about legalizing recreational use of marijuana, yet put up obtsacles when fulop wants to decriminalize it

Posted on: 2018/7/21 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/7/21 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
New Jersey A.G. to Jersey City: no, you can't decriminalize pot
Updated 2:26 PM; Posted 1:39 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald tmcdonald@jjournal.com

The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? Jersey City spent one day riding high on its new policy decriminalizing marijuana before state Attorney General Gurbir Grewal told the city's new chief prosecutor on Friday that the policy is void because it violates state criminal laws.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... nt_decriminalize_pot.html

Hahahahahaha, your boy got smacked!

Posted on: 2018/7/20 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey A.G. to Jersey City: no, you can't decriminalize pot
Updated 2:26 PM; Posted 1:39 PM

The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? Jersey City spent one day riding high on its new policy decriminalizing marijuana before state Attorney General Gurbir Grewal told the city's new chief prosecutor on Friday that the policy is void because it violates state criminal laws.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... nt_decriminalize_pot.html

Posted on: 2018/7/20 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
What do you have against a home grow provision? That's what's most confusing to me. Why are you arguing against one?

Umm, I think you need to read slower. When you said you can always grow your own, I was merely pointing out that it might not necessarily be so.

I was warning against the possibility that New Jersey could not include a grow provision, after it was brought up that taxes were the primary motivation and they might limit grow. That does not mean I support it!

I now understand that you are not aware of the details of the bill. There is currently no provision for home growing in this bill. It's not a "possibility", it's the current reality. Also, at no point did I say you can, "always grow your own." I'm advocating for the right to do so, which under the current bill will still be illegal. Understand?

Yes, and that sucks. You're right, I did not read the bill, but in all your posts you did not actually say growing would still be illegal.

Posted on: 2018/7/19 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
What do you have against a home grow provision? That's what's most confusing to me. Why are you arguing against one?

Umm, I think you need to read slower. When you said you can always grow your own, I was merely pointing out that it might not necessarily be so.

I was warning against the possibility that New Jersey could not include a grow provision, after it was brought up that taxes were the primary motivation and they might limit grow. That does not mean I support it!

I now understand that you are not aware of the details of the bill. There is currently no provision for home growing in this bill. It's not a "possibility", it's the current reality. Also, at no point did I say you can, "always grow your own." I'm advocating for the right to do so, which under the current bill will still be illegal. Understand?

Posted on: 2018/7/19 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey Journal

Jersey City is implementing a marijuana decriminalization policy that its mayor and new chief municipal prosecutor believe will increase racial justice while protecting public safety.

The policy, which is expected to begin officially tomorrow, will downgrade some marijuana charges to non-criminal offenses; encourage prosecutors to seek dismissal of low-level marijuana charges; and recommend diverting defendants with a criminal past and signs of addiction to the city's community court.
https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... licy_for_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2018/7/19 7:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

Posted on: 2018/7/19 5:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
An excellent straw man argument there.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I don't personally have a problem with paying the tax on marijuana if there is a home grow provision. Alcohol is similarly taxed, but people also have the liberty to brew their own alcohol at home

Home brewing wasn't legalized till 1979.
https://beerandbrewing.com/the-day-homebrewing-was-legalized/

Huh? What argument do you think I am making? It's already been established that Washington passed recreational legalization without home growing. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that New Jersey could do likewise.

Posted on: 2018/7/19 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I don't personally have a problem with paying the tax on marijuana if there is a home grow provision. Alcohol is similarly taxed, but people also have the liberty to brew their own alcohol at home

Huh? What argument do you think I am making? It's already been established that Washington passed recreational legalization without home growing. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that New Jersey could do likewise.

Posted on: 2018/7/19 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

Posted on: 2018/7/18 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
The only state that did not include a home growing provision was Washington state, and if you look into it, the people in the state are now having to contact their elected officials to try to get on board with a home growing provision. NJ doesn't want a home grow provision because they want everyone to buy marijuana from the state. They keep saying this is for racial justice, but I think it would be more just of them to not be so transparently greedy. Many minorities are too poor to have a car to drive to a dispensary let alone have enough money to spend on overtaxed marijuana. If this is really about racial justice, they should prove it and provide the masses with a sensible home grow provision like Vermont. Two mature female plants in flowering at any time, and six plants total.

Didn't know about WA. But this "overtaxed" is overblown. If an $8 gram has $2 tax, do you really think that's so awful? Booze is similarly taxed and no one is hysterical. The dispensary limiting IS a big deal. If you have to drive an hour, or spend hours on public transit to reach the nearest dispensary, that's deliberate hardship.

Please... does anyone really believe the state will make it difficult to purchase legal weed? That type of restriction would defeat the purpose of making it legal for their constituents. As some one said earlier, high taxes and inaccessibility will only create a booming underground market.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Wow.. so my Mom was a criminal back in the '70s when she had me collect dandelions flowers so we could make dandelion wine.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 17:14

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017