Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: NYTimes: “The underlying terror is that you might have to move to Jersey City."
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
They can go ahead and say what they want and I'll quietly enjoy my 10 minute commute into Manhattan, neighborhood feel and spacious/affordable apartment.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 16:38

Re: NYTimes: “The underlying terror is that you might have to move to Jersey City."
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 0:33
Group:
Registered Users
ohhh... poor guy. he's a sad-looking, unattractive guy - if he needs to bash us - let him - might be the only thing that keeps him from offing himself : /

Posted on: 2013/9/25 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Very true, boilerplater. But, then again, we don't want such bigotry here anyway. NYC can keep their snobby elite. We are a much more diverse and welcoming community in Jersey City, and that is something to be proud of.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 1:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/4 2:04
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Slagging NJ seems to be the only socially acceptable, politically correct form of bigotry left for New Yorkers. Can you imagine the New York Times printing something like "The underlying terror is that you might have to move to a neighborhood with POOR PEOPLE"? Elitism needs to define itself by something it is not, or at least tries hard not to be.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 1:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/21 17:13
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
The property tax on the first one is $1,573 a year, folks.
Is that high? I'm renting, so I don't typically think about the yearly tax liabilities.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 14:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Still I have to say, in my humble opinion, the arts scene, both fine arts and affordable arts is much better in Minneapolis than in Jersey City.
Interesting! I would have never thought of a lot of arts going on in Minneapolis. Good to know if I ever get a chance to get up there. :)

Posted on: 2013/9/21 3:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Seriously, I have yet to meet ANYONE that isn't happy, or downright impressed, with Honshu and its menu, preparation and presentation. I would put Honshu among the best sushi places I have tried in the NYC area, and the list of places I have tried is quite long.
Duly noted, and Honshu is now at the top of my sushi "must try" list. :D

How's the price? Good value for what you pay for?

Posted on: 2013/9/21 3:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Samir, have you tried Honshu? It is not bad for a jersey city japanese restaurant.
I haven't. I'll put it on my list to check out. :) Thank you for the suggestion!

Posted on: 2013/9/21 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I love living in Jersey City for all of the reasons people tout about it. Of course I'm not blind to it's short comings.

Still I have to say, in my humble opinion, the arts scene, both fine arts and affordable arts is much better in Minneapolis than in Jersey City.

Yes, JC does suffer from NYC's shadow and so does not have the native scene many smaller cities do because it's the only game in town. But NYC is right there across the river! That does count as part of our location. That said there are some great arts here on this side, I've seen productions by the Mile Sq Theater in Hoboken that I'll put against any anywhere.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
An opinion would have been "Samir, have you tried Honshu? It is not bad." The rest is trying to justify that opinion against the backdrop of the (perceived) shortcomings of JC.

But, yes, thanks for sharing your opinion. I guess we both like Honshu.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
It's my own opinion, not an inferiority complex. Thank you for sharing yours.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Samir, have you tried Honshu? It is not bad for a jersey city japanese restaurant.

There goes that JC inferiority complex rearing its ugly head, again. Honshu is good, period. Why do so many people feel the need to qualify their local choices?

Seriously, I have yet to meet ANYONE that isn't happy, or downright impressed, with Honshu and its menu, preparation and presentation. I would put Honshu among the best sushi places I have tried in the NYC area, and the list of places I have tried is quite long.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Samir wrote:
I just recently moved to the area, and it's amazing how people will piss on what they don't know. I've lived in Alabama for almost 30 years, and that comes with it's own stereotype.

But check out how you can live there if you have a paltry $50k/yr engineering job. This would be your house (which would be just run of mill/ordinary for the area):
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/854 ... -AL-35763/108262803_zpid/

Your commute would be 35 minutes in what would be laughable traffic by NJ/NYC standards, you could get most anything in stores easily (I've actually found it hard to get things here that I have just walked into walmart at 2am and gotten off the shelf), and you NEVER pay for parking anywhere including downtown.

Downside, no big city living closeby like the JC/NYC area. But Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, and Memphis are just a few hours away. I've spent more time in the train going from Hoboken to Mount Arlington than I have driving to Nashville--and no paying for parking there either.

But JC/NYC has it's advantages too. My wife can't make half the money in Alabama that she can here.

It just amazes me how much people in Manhattan will pay just to be there. They could afford this house for some of those 5-figure rents:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandh ... lle_AL_35749_M74148-50010

The property tax on the first one is $1,573 a year, folks.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I love living in Jersey City for all of the reasons people tout about it. Of course I'm not blind to it's short comings.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

There goes that JC inferiority complex rearing its ugly head, again. Honshu is good, period. Why do so many people feel the need to qualify their local choices?

Posted on: 2013/9/20 11:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/20 10:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Samir wrote:
I just recently moved to the area, and it's amazing how people will piss on what they don't know. I've lived in Alabama for almost 30 years, and that comes with it's own stereotype.

But check out how you can live there if you have a paltry $50k/yr engineering job. This would be your house (which would be just run of mill/ordinary for the area):

Have you heard the phrase "location, location, location"? For many people the NYc area isn't just about better paying jobs, it's about the vibrancy of big city living. If you hate the arts and world cuisine, and never want to walk or bike anywhere, I guess Alabama might not be so bad. That house has a Walkscore of 0.

I also hear you can buy entire blocks in Detroit on your credit card, now there's a low cost of living! And they even have arts, at least until they have to sell them.
I've definitely heard that--I grew up in the hotel industry and that's an industry motto for new construction, lol.

It's definitely a much more urban and vibrant life, but you do have to finance it somehow. And there's a certain point of diminishing return. Like the opinion that people living in Manhattan are more close to the action than JC. Probably, but is it worth 2x the rent? In my opinion, no.

That's the stereotypical answer coming from the rest of the states. If you've only lived in the Northeast, there's definitely a lot of the same lifestyle available elsewhere cheaper--but you have to look. There's a lot of art going on there, it's just that most people don't know it originated there. My buddy Christoph Silber lives there even though he spends most of his time working here in NYC and LA.

I've never been much for walking or biking since I'm a car enthusiast, so that's not on my criteria unless parking is an issue (like in JC). I crave free parking with no door dings and miles of open road with like-minded friends. Can't find those here, so my cars will never see NJ.

I hate to say it, but one of the best sushi restaurants I've ever been to (and I hit sushi everywhere I've traveled, even internationally) is in Alabama. Granted, I haven't had a chance to hit up Chelsea Market or Japantown yet, so I'm hoping I'll find a new #1 place soon.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Samir wrote:

Have you heard the phrase "location, location, location"? For many people the NYc area isn't just about better paying jobs, it's about the vibrancy of big city living. If you hate the arts and world cuisine, and never want to walk or bike anywhere, I guess Alabama might not be so bad. That house has a Walkscore of 0.

I also hear you can buy entire blocks in Detroit on your credit card, now there's a low cost of living! And they even have arts, at least until they have to sell them.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 23:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Your commute would be 35 minutes in what would be laughable traffic by NJ/NYC standards, you could get most anything in stores easily (I've actually found it hard to get things here that I have just walked into walmart at 2am and gotten off the shelf), and you NEVER pay for parking anywhere including downtown.

Downside, no big city living closeby like the JC/NYC area. But Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, and Memphis are just a few hours away. I've spent more time in the train going from Hoboken to Mount Arlington than I have driving to Nashville--and no paying for parking there either.

But JC/NYC has it's advantages too. My wife can't make half the money in Alabama that she can here.

It just amazes me how much people in Manhattan will pay just to be there. They could afford this house for some of those 5-figure rents:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandh ... lle_AL_35749_M74148-50010

Posted on: 2013/9/18 23:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Here is some info on Eric Klinenberg

Resized Image

From his Amazon Page: (click link below)
http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Klinenberg ... ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Eric Klinenberg is Professor of Sociology, Public Policy, and Media, Culture, and Communications at New York University, and editor of the journal Public Culture. His latest book, Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone, was published in February 2012 by the Penguin Press.

The press reports that Going Solo "is causing a sensation." Time Magazine featured it as the #1 Idea That is Changing Your Life in the March 12, 2012 cover story. Vanity Fair called it "trailblazing." Psychology Today called it "so important that it is likely to become both a popular read and a social science classic." The New Yorker argued that the book "suggests that our usual perceptions about life alone get things backward." And the Washington Post explained that "Going Solo is really about living better together--for all of us, single or not."

Klinenberg's first book, Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago, won six scholarly and literary prizes (and was a Favorite Book selection by the Chicago Tribune), and was praised as "a dense and subtle portrait" (Malcolm Gladwell, The New Yorker); "a remarkable, riveting account" (American Prospect); "intellectually exciting" (Amartya Sen); and a "trenchant, persuasive tale of slow murder by public policy" (Salon). A theatrical adaptation of Heat Wave premiered in Chicago in 2008, and Judith Helfand is directing a feature documentary based on the book.

Professor Klinenberg's second book, Fighting for Air: The Battle to Control America's Media, was called "politically passionate and intellectually serious," (Columbia Journalism Review), "a must-read for those who wonder what happened to good radio, accurate reporting and autonomous public interest" (Time Out New York), and "eye-opening ...required reading for conscientious citizens" (Kirkus). Since its publication, he has testified before the Federal Communications Commission and briefed the U.S. Congress on his findings.

In addition to his books and scholarly articles, Klinenberg has contributed to popular publications such as The New York Times Magazine, Rolling Stone, Time Magazine, Fortune, The London Review of Books, The Nation, The Washington Post, Mother Jones, The Guardian, Le Monde Diplomatique, Slate, and the radio program This American Life.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play_full.php?play=346&act=1

Posted on: 2013/9/18 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/15/rea ... iving-apart-together.html

Living Apart Together

By CONSTANCE ROSENBLUM
September 13, 2013
The New York Times

Resized Image

Ingrid Doyle and Michael Kenny share a life together, but not an apartment. The mantel is at her prewar co-op in northwest Harlem. Mr. Kenny?s living room in South Harlem, 30 blocks away, has a different aesthetic.

?The underlying terror,? Mr. Klinenberg added, only half in jest, ?is that you might have to move to Jersey City.?

didnt read the whole article but if i understand correctly mr klinenberg lives in harlem and he's making fun of jersey city? that is pretty funny.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
People used to trash Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, Harlem, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, Carrol Gardens, Hoboken, Queens.....let the snarks say what they will.

sone of us jclisters have been know n to trash newark or bergen lafayette...oh well.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 19:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
The guy is just voicing something thousands of Manhattan residents think everyday.

And people say I'm an idiot when I keep telling them this is the way most NYC residents think. :rolleyes:

Posted on: 2013/9/16 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Some people have no sense of self-worth, so they define themselves by their address and will suffer living in a closet as opposed to living like a human being.

+1 Well said. Some are proud they've never made it over to this side. I say those are the same people I didn't like much in high school - enjoy your skyrocketing Condo Association Fees, Parking Fees, taxes and closet. And please, STAY THERE.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Who said I was complaining? Common sense would dictate if someone doesn't like an area or thinks bad about it then don't move there. If he has some issue iwth JC don't simply don't fucking move here. It sounds more complaining on his part

Posted on: 2013/9/16 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Who said I was complaining? Common sense would dictate if someone doesn't like an area or thinks bad about it then don't move there. If he has some issue iwth JC don't simply don't fucking move here. It sounds more complaining on his part.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Not too long ago, I got together with some friends in the city for dinner and someone mentioned how Brooklyn has become the insufferably smug borough - in a way that Manhattan never was. We all agreed. It's like they're trying too hard with all that "Tr?s Brooklyn" branding. All it does is make them look like a bunch of twits. (Not all of Brooklyn, of course, just certain parts. Like where you would find an "artisanal pigs-in-a-blanket" purveyor. I am not making this up. There is such a business in Brooklyn.)

Well "artisanal mac-n-cheese" was already taken years ago...

Posted on: 2013/9/16 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Not too long ago, I got together with some friends in the city for dinner and someone mentioned how Brooklyn has become the insufferably smug borough - in a way that Manhattan never was. We all agreed. It's like they're trying too hard with all that "Tr?s Brooklyn" branding. All it does is make them look like a bunch of twits. (Not all of Brooklyn, of course, just certain parts. Like where you would find an "artisanal pigs-in-a-blanket" purveyor. I am not making this up. There is such a business in Brooklyn.)

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
... The fact that this stupid comment is even posted here and that people are taking umbrage over it only serves to highlight a collective inferiority complex. So someone doesn't want to live here? Get over it. ...

Yes.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
We need more comments like the one in the article and, even better, more lines about Exit 13 in Adam Sandler songs. This is already the most densely populated state in the country. If anyone else moves here, we want them to find it on their own - not because it was featured in some bogus real estate magazine in Manhattan - and to really want to live here.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, as I think of it, this is sort of good news for Jersey City...building awareness is good, even if it comes from a snark.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 14:19

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017