Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
44 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 3
Guests: 41

diamat, HamSandwichPark, SteveWilson29, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 32 »

Path train
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I am just a little confused. At 9:15 this morning 3 WTC trains come one after another. Now most mornings the WTC has so much room and seats everywhere. Now I am a 33rd street guy. Never a seat and always packed. Why not more 33rd trains? Of course then there is the "No Passengers" ghost train. Crazy if you ask me.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 17:51
Print Top

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
What in the bloody H was up with the train this morning? Insanity at Grove Street from 9:30 until at least 10:15... I let three 33rd St trains go by when they finally started coming.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 11:02
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
You can tweet the car # and that the AC is broken to the @PATHtweet account and they'll file a maintenance report. I would actually be okay with a less-frozen train car in exchange for slightly less sweltering platforms, though.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 12:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
On my morning commute today (a very hot day), what's the worst thing that can happen? The air conditioner not working on the PATH. And that's exactly what happened today, as confirmed by the conductor, who was equally as miffed as the ridership.

The saddest part? Brand new train.

Isn't it a little alarming that the brand new trains are malfunctioning at such a young age?

I'll tell you something, the old PATH trains were almost always ice cold in the summertime. The new trains must be set to be "energy efficient", because even when the AC is working, it's usually pretty warm.

I'd rather have ugly trains that have proper climate control. Maybe it's just me.

Posted on: 2011/7/21 9:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
just rode back from midtown. the instructions on the train were very clear, and aside from an overcrowded platform at Grove, the system was running pretty smoothly for a Saturday.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 21:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
If you are at JSQ going up to 33rd St. you get off at Grove walk across the platform and transfer to get on the 33rd St.bound train arriving on track 2. If you are in Nyc, Hoboken or Pavonia/Newport going to JSQ then you again get off at Grove St. walk across the platform and transfer to get on the JSQ bound train arriving on track 1. At no time do you get on the Newark/WTC train.

Heights, re-read it. there IS NO JSQ-BOUND TRAIN.

JSQ passengers must - at some point - get on the Newark/WTC train.

it's really not all that difficult.

I was refering to the Grove St. station 'cause I was just there. Plus there are no WTC trains out 33rd today. The 33rd and JSQ bound trains could depart from either track at Grove St. as well. Usually at Grove track 1 is for Nyc bound trains and track 2 is for Jersey bound trains. Seek out one of the passenger information agents in red and watch for the destination names on the trains. But yes at the Square PATH the only Nyc bound train is the WTC line. You must transfer to get to either Hoboken or the up town to 33rd St.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 11:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
If you are at JSQ going up to 33rd St. you get off at Grove walk across the platform and transfer to get on the 33rd St.bound train arriving on track 2. If you are in Nyc, Hoboken or Pavonia/Newport going to JSQ then you again get off at Grove St. walk across the platform and transfer to get on the JSQ bound train arriving on track 1. At no time do you get on the Newark/WTC train.

Heights, re-read it. there IS NO JSQ-BOUND TRAIN.

JSQ passengers must - at some point - get on the Newark/WTC train.

it's really not all that difficult.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 11:17
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Annod. That is much clearer than the PATHTWEET and the pathalert I got via email. Below is the email PATH alert, which is obviously incorrect..it directs 33rd St bound people to get on the WTC train.

Beginning 11PM Friday 7/15 to 11PM Saturday 7/16, the JSQ-33{Via Hoboken} line terminates at Grove Street due to track work. Transfer to Newark-WTC at Grove Street to complete trip.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 10:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
In plain English, the JSQ-33rd train is now the Grove-33rd train.

-----------------------------

Weekend Construction

Beginning the evening of Friday, July 15, 2011 PATH will conduct track switch replacement work between Grove Street and Journal Square. As a result, there will be changes to service on the Journal Square to 33rd Street (via Hoboken) line in both directions between 11 p.m. Friday, July 15 and 11 p.m. Saturday, July 16.

-----------------------------

Journal Square – 33rd Street via Hoboken (JSQ-HOB-33)
From 11 p.m. Friday, 7/14 until 11 p.m. Saturday, 7/15, JSQ-33 (via Hoboken) service will terminate at Grove St., due to a track rehabilitation project.

Passengers traveling from 33, 23, 14, 9, Christopher, Hoboken, or Newport to Journal Square, Harrison, or Newark must change at Grove Street for Newark-bound train.

Passengers traveling from Newark, Harrison, or Journal Square to Newport, Hoboken, Christopher, 9, 14, 23, or 33 must change at Grove Street for 33 St-bound train.

--------------------

Check website for schedule:

http://www.panynj.gov/path/alerts-advisories.html

Posted on: 2011/7/16 9:44
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Um, yeah, Read the posting from the Port Authority again. It tells people going from JSQ->33rd to transfer at Grove St to the WTC train. So I don't know how people riding the train to WTC will get to 33rd unless they do one of those bizarre loops I've seen before. This will obviously affect the WTC line as well.

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

fullpint wrote:
>FYI, PATH alert:

>Beginning 11pm Fri 7/15 to 11pm Sat 7/16, the JSQ-33(via >Hob) line terminates at Grove St due to track work. Transfer >to NWK-WTC at Grove St to complete trip.

What the heck does this mean?? It makes no sense. Why can't the PATH clarify these postings? How is the WTC line going to get people to 33rd st, and how is this going to affect the schedule of the NWK-WTC line?

Based on past experience, it looks like the NWK-> WTC line will go Nwk->WTC-> Pavonia -> Hob -> then along the 33rd St line? I've seem this before, and it means massive delays.

uh... it makes perfect sense? If you're on the 33rd train going to jersey and want to get to journal sq, you get off at grove and wait for the newark train.

unless i'm COMPLETELY misreading something, that's it.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 7:35
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/7/16 6:12
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fullpint wrote:
>FYI, PATH alert:

>Beginning 11pm Fri 7/15 to 11pm Sat 7/16, the JSQ-33(via >Hob) line terminates at Grove St due to track work. Transfer >to NWK-WTC at Grove St to complete trip.

What the heck does this mean?? It makes no sense. Why can't the PATH clarify these postings? How is the WTC line going to get people to 33rd st, and how is this going to affect the schedule of the NWK-WTC line?

Based on past experience, it looks like the NWK-> WTC line will go Nwk->WTC-> Pavonia -> Hob -> then along the 33rd St line? I've seem this before, and it means massive delays.

uh... it makes perfect sense? If you're on the 33rd train going to jersey and want to get to journal sq, you get off at grove and wait for the newark train.

unless i'm COMPLETELY misreading something, that's it.

Posted on: 2011/7/16 4:13
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
>FYI, PATH alert:

Posted on: 2011/7/15 21:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anybody know when they will be updating the signal system on PATH? Sometimes that train goes so slow under the Hudson River.

Also...has anybody noticed that the new PATH trains tend to keep the AC rather low? It's never really that cool on those trains, especially when crowded.

Posted on: 2011/7/15 9:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, PATH alert:

Beginning 11pm Fri 7/15 to 11pm Sat 7/16, the JSQ-33(via Hob) line terminates at Grove St due to track work. Transfer to NWK-WTC at Grove St to complete trip.

Posted on: 2011/7/15 9:10
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah I had the same experience as bodhipooh yesterday.
Got to Grove station around 9:45am and waiting until 10:20ish for a train. When I first got in I figured I could handle a 10 minute delay so I stuck around, but then they kept increasing the delay. If I knew it was going to be 35 mins or so, I would of never went to the PATH station in the first place and worked from home. Luckily it seemed like most commuters were still on vacation so the cars weren't overcrowded. If this would of been a regular work week, it would of been a bad scene.

Speak of the devil, just got a PATH Alert at 10:51am..."Due to a signal problem, train service on the Newark to World Trade Center line is operating with a 15 minute delay" :)

Posted on: 2011/7/6 11:24
Print Top

Re: Path(poor attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
It seems the best way to complain to PATH is on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/PATHTweet

Posted on: 2011/7/6 9:09
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
At least these problems don't occur at rush hour, you gotta give em (PATH) that.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 21:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
With regards to the PATH outage this morning, I have to say that it was a frustrating experience. I waited in Grove Street for a WTC train for about 35 minutes. After two trains failed to show up, an announcement was made that trains were "subject" to a 10-minute delay. By the time the announcement was made, trains were already delayed at least 15 minutes. After another 10 minutes, they started to announce that trains were subject to a 20-minute delay.

In the end, the most frustrating thing to me was that the announcements failed to provide meaningful / accurate information. Trains were not "subject to an x-minute delay", the trains WERE ALREADY delayed by x-minutes. And, x kept increasing. I think that the PA could do a better job estimating actual delays, and conveying more accurate information.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 15:11
Print Top

Re: Path(poor attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty much every time there's a PATH alert sent out to the tune of "due to a dock bridge failure, service on the WTC to Newark is suspended", another alert goes out saying that the problem has been resolved within 20-30 minutes.

The only extended (i.e., more than an hour) service outages I've experienced in 7 years of riding the PATH have been due to very heavy rain. If you hear that NJTransit is cross-honoring PATH, only then is the problem likely to be serious enough to make staying put in the PATH station not the best option.

Quote:

psychobilly999 wrote:
Today I hopped a 9:30 am train to Newark which normally gets me there by 9:50. The train stopped a 1/4 of the way there, after 15 minutes of waiting I realized something was wrong. An hour later they took us back to journal square and said they'd have buses set up to take us to Newark, after waiting another ten minutes and no buses, I called path only to be tol that the trains were operating again! This is one of the worst cases of utter incompetence I've ever experienced! It's no surprise that it was path. All the platform employees looked smug and acted like this was no big deal, I missed both of my buses in Newark which would get me to work on time, now I'll lose an hour of work time!! I'm sending the bill to path!

Posted on: 2011/7/5 14:51
Print Top

Path(poor attempt at transporting humans)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Today I hopped a 9:30 am train to Newark which normally gets me there by 9:50. The train stopped a 1/4 of the way there, after 15 minutes of waiting I realized something was wrong. An hour later they took us back to journal square and said they'd have buses set up to take us to Newark, after waiting another ten minutes and no buses, I called path only to be tol that the trains were operating again! This is one of the worst cases of utter incompetence I've ever experienced! It's no surprise that it was path. All the platform employees looked smug and acted like this was no big deal, I missed both of my buses in Newark which would get me to work on time, now I'll lose an hour of work time!! I'm sending the bill to path!

Posted on: 2011/7/5 11:20
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
The real moral of the story is "Be a little earlier." If you had been on the track just a minute or so earlier, you might have actually made the train, but when you try to cut it that close, sometimes you are going to get burned.
I live in a condo with a shuttle to the Grove St. Station that leaves every 20 minutes on time. There are a few A**holes who run to the shuttle just as it's scheduled to leave, delay the shuttle and then bitch at the driver. The driver is just doing his job, trying to keep to a schedule. If people just got to their embarkation point just a bit earlier, so many problems would go away.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 6:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't - 8 minutes is more than enough time to chug an iced coffee

Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Alternative moral to the story: Don't bring coffee onto the PATH train.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 22:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Alternative moral to the story: Don't bring coffee onto the PATH train.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 16:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Frustrating thing happened to me this afternoon:

Needed to take the PATH from Grove to Newark. Got to Grove st. at 2:26, saw on the schedule that the next Newark train leaves at 2:38. Decide to go to Starbucks instead of waiting in the station. Head down into the station at 2:35, I'm on the platform at 2:36 (cell phone time and PATH monitor time agreed), just to see that 2:38 NWK train already leaving.

Wait until the next train (2:53), which actually comes at 2:53. The clocks inside the train (even on the in-train PATH monitors) are 2 minutes faster than the clocks in the station.

Moral of the story -- minute-to-minute PATH schedules are not to be trusted, and to be safe, be on the platform 5 minutes before your train is supposed to arrive. This also means that unless the PATH is running at a 20-minute or longer interval, you almost may as well roll the dice instead of trying to plan your trips.

Aesop wept.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 16:37
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Frustrating thing happened to me this afternoon:

Needed to take the PATH from Grove to Newark. Got to Grove st. at 2:26, saw on the schedule that the next Newark train leaves at 2:38. Decide to go to Starbucks instead of waiting in the station. Head down into the station at 2:35, I'm on the platform at 2:36 (cell phone time and PATH monitor time agreed), just to see that 2:38 NWK train already leaving.

Wait until the next train (2:53), which actually comes at 2:53. The clocks inside the train (even on the in-train PATH monitors) are 2 minutes faster than the clocks in the station.

Moral of the story -- minute-to-minute PATH schedules are not to be trusted, and to be safe, be on the platform 5 minutes before your train is supposed to arrive. This also means that unless the PATH is running at a 20-minute or longer interval, you almost may as well roll the dice instead of trying to plan your trips.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 16:04
Print Top

Report on MTA and PATH Security
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting Report on this. Check Out and Share the following link:
http://www.hudsoncountytv.com/videos/ ... 011/Trouble_on_the_Tracks

Posted on: 2011/6/14 15:51
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
We are working on a tool to make the whole PATH experience a tad bit more bearable (in a way that we can....not being part of the Port Authority and all. Sorry..can't provide more cars or trips....YET!)

We've been talking to many of you who take the PATH and put up with these crazy conditions daily.

Two of the things we've seen requested time and time again during our interviews with commuters have been:

1) A simple way to contact and submit feedback to the PATH

2) Improved communications and alternative suggestions when service is interrupted

Indeed we have heard and learned a whole lot more, but we are still listening and trying to understand what can be done to help commuters feel a little better about their trip (even if it's just through better communication or trip-planning control).

If you want to play a meaningful part in affecting and improving your own PATH experience, we encourage all PATH users to take our Customer Survey. Understanding your gripes or your praises for the PATH: 1)helps us accurately understand your biggest PATH problems and sentiment, and 2)leads to the creation of an ideal solution. A solution that will be right for you.

So, don't just let your frustration die here. Join us at the PATHapp Project as we build the best PATH app together.
Hope to hear from you all soon.

-The PATHapp Project Team

Posted on: 2011/6/9 20:22
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Two Douches.

Resized Image

Note that one guy is lounged out with his bag on the seat and the other is jutting his ass out onto the same seat and BOTH are pretending to sleep. I did not want the seat as I like to stand on the trains but their behavior, especially for 2 young guys, is obnoxious. For the 6-8 minutes I was standing there I pretended to futz with my ringtone just to make sure they were awake. I also gave the one guy a good whack with my backpack as I exited as he was also hanging his arm over the railing into where people need to stand.

Other street (or under-street) justice techniques I enjoy employing:

--Deliberately sitting next to Mr. Spready Legs and then spreading my own knees veeeery slowly, but with relentless force, so he's eventually forced to close his. He usually does this suddenly with a grunt that I find deeply amusing.

--Deliberately standing in front of the seat with someone's bag on it, turning around, lowering my butt slowly toward the bag, and watching the owner remove it hurriedly.

--"Accidentally" kicking or bumping people sitting on station stairways when crowds are trying to use them.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 16:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Two Douches.

Resized Image

Note that one guy is lounged out with his bag on the seat and the other is jutting his ass out onto the same seat and BOTH are pretending to sleep. I did not want the seat as I like to stand on the trains but their behavior, especially for 2 young guys, is obnoxious. For the 6-8 minutes I was standing there I pretended to futz with my ringtone just to make sure they were awake. I also gave the one guy a good whack with my backpack as I exited as he was also hanging his arm over the railing into where people need to stand.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 14:55
Print Top

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 32 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014