Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
38 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 37

bodhipooh, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 49 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The bus is great jaded as long as you don't have a lot to carry. It's cheap too I think it's under $2. I'm sure if there are any changes it will not affect the Newark bound part of the route.

Posted on: 2014/9/9 14:31
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I'm going to Newark airport, but I think I'll give myself a generous cushion of time just in case. From Newark Penn Station, I'm going to try, for the first time, the bus to the airport that other people have mentioned.

Posted on: 2014/9/9 14:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
That is my recollection as well. Anyhow, i'm avoiding even going out or taking the train. Too risky everywhere.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
My recollection from prior years is that PATH service is suspended into WTC during whatever ceremony is being held. Other than that, service continues. Are you headed to Newark? Or, into the city? If headed to Newark, I would think that service should be operational, with trains departing from Exchange Place.

Posted on: 2014/9/9 13:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
They tweeted yesterday that they're running on a normal schedule for 9/11: https://twitter.com/PATHTrain/status/509048646521069568

Posted on: 2014/9/9 12:39
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
My recollection from prior years is that PATH service is suspended into WTC during whatever ceremony is being held. Other than that, service continues. Are you headed to Newark? Or, into the city? If headed to Newark, I would think that service should be operational, with trains departing from Exchange Place.

Posted on: 2014/9/9 11:34
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
I have a flight on Thursday morning and am planning to get to the airport via public transportation. Does anyone know if WTC-Newark PATH service will be affected by the Sept. 11 ceremonies? Of course, I can't find any useful info on the PATH website.

According to their website, the next scheduled holiday is Columbus Day. And, according to twitter, there will be normal PATH service this Thursday: https://twitter.com/PATHTrain

So, 50/50 chance trains will be running normally? ;)

Posted on: 2014/9/9 11:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I have a flight on Thursday morning and am planning to get to the airport via public transportation. Does anyone know if WTC-Newark PATH service will be affected by the Sept. 11 ceremonies? Of course, I can't find any useful info on the PATH website.

Posted on: 2014/9/9 10:22
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
But we just lost 30% of our park space in Journal Square because of this. I know we need racks but was that really the ONLY place they could go? Would be nice if they could be protected from the elements too but oh well. better than nothing i guess.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 9:07
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I can't comment on the quality of the execution, but the new bike racks are filling a HUGE demand; they've been called for by many in the city, including Councilman Ramchal and a LOT of cyclists. The existing racks were always jammed, and I personally know people who wanted to ride to JSQ but didn't want to try to squeeze their bikes into the mess.

Posted on: 2014/9/5 0:46
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
They paved over what little grass there are at the Plaza to put in bike racks.

Resized Image

I hope they didn't use the same numuts who did the crappy cement work on the lower plaza.

Where were the Journal Square Special Improvement District people when this was going on? Oh, that's right, they're out emptying the one garbage can in the plaza.

Posted on: 2014/9/4 22:23
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
They paved over what little grass there are at the Plaza to put in bike racks.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/9/4 21:36
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
40x10x2x6 = 4,800 new passengers (at least! I'm sure there are more that are not accounted for in here)

I don't want to totally discount your fear, but I just want to pull you back from the ledge a bit. Your assuming all these people are taking the PATH to work. They're not, and they're not going on at th same time. Personally, half of the new residents I know moved to JC because their jobs moved here. A lot of the new residents will also jobs in the NYC financial district, and the WTC line is not nearly as crowded as the JSQ line.

Agreed that not all are going to take the PATH and agreed that there are a lot of people that don't take one particular line. I did not in particular mention one line or the other. The issue at hand is that we have a limited resource in terms of the current transportation provided whereas there is a potential in the ridership increasing. I have not heard of anyone address this issue other than concerned citizens in forums similar to this.

In any case, the PATH was great until JC "was put on the map". I have lived in JC for over a decade and I've watched the PATH deteriorate in terms of service. And I'm sure people who have lived in JC longer than I have, can say the same for the trains getting more and more crowded.

I just hope this isn't the reason I leave JC. I happen to love it here but if the train scenario doesn't change, I may just reconsider moving.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 10:33
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
40x10x2x6 = 4,800 new passengers (at least! I'm sure there are more that are not accounted for in here)

I don't want to totally discount your fear, but I just want to pull you back from the ledge a bit. Your assuming all these people are taking the PATH to work. They're not, and they're not going on at th same time. Personally, half of the new residents I know moved to JC because their jobs moved here. A lot of the new residents will also jobs in the NYC financial district, and the WTC line is not nearly as crowded as the JSQ line.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 9:29
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
This is fantastic news! Let's pay more for less!

What are they going to do about the additional residents supposedly moving in within the next 12-15 months? There are at least (that I counted) 6 high rises going up.

If you assume 40 floors on average per building (6 in total that I counted) with at least 10 apartments per floor, and 2 residents at min per apt:

We are looking at additionally ridership of at least 4,800 - 5,000 people per day. Are the PA doing anything about the additional ridership? I know the answer to my question but it's worth a shot asking.

Additionally, I could have sworn Fulop had promised to fix this whole Hoboken scenario. I thought during his campaign, he had vowed to alter the whole Hoboken stopover during late nights and weekends. It truly makes no sense given that Jersey City is a significantly larger city with no weekend service to the WTC.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 9:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dwntowntrain wrote:
Just an FYI, according to Wikipedia since I can't find this info anywhere else at the moment...path will be more expensive than the nyc subway.

As of October 1, 2014, a single PATH ride will rise to $2.75; two-trip tickets will be $5.50; 10-trip, $21; 20-trip, $42; 40-trip, $84 ($2.10 per trip); a seven-day unlimited, $29; and a 30-day unlimited, $89.

Old news. The fare raise schedule was put in place three years ago, when the two governors and the PA announced a "deal" to phase in the $1 raise by increasing the fare by 25 cents each year. So, the fare went up 25 cents in 2011, with additional 25 cents increased scheduled each following year (2012, 2013, and now 2014 in a few months).

There was actually quite a lively debate here on JCLIST regarding this raise, and the shenanigans behind it. You could search for it.

Posted on: 2014/7/30 6:36
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Just an FYI, according to Wikipedia since I can't find this info anywhere else at the moment...path will be more expensive than the nyc subway.

As of October 1, 2014, a single PATH ride will rise to $2.75; two-trip tickets will be $5.50; 10-trip, $21; 20-trip, $42; 40-trip, $84 ($2.10 per trip); a seven-day unlimited, $29; and a 30-day unlimited, $89.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 23:23
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
fck no it didn't, my trip took an extra 20. I know this because I punched in at 10:16, when my train on Sunday normally gets me there at 9:57 (:55 plus 2 minutes to walk through the door and clock in).

Also, I fkn love the stupidity the PA does

Quote:
with additional trains operating between Hoboken and 33rd Street in both directions

NO ONE NEEDS EXTRA TRAINS FROM HOBOKEN TO 33RD AT ANY TIME, MUCH LESS ON A CROWDED WEEKEND, YOU IMBECILES

Posted on: 2014/7/18 15:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bjay wrote:
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 10:28 AM
Subject: PATHAlert

SUN 7/20: 33-JSQ(HOB)stopping in EXPL for turnaround due to single tracking at Grove St. EXPL will remain closed. Allow extra time.

They did this last Sunday too. It probably added another 5 minutes to the ride? They also ran at least one outbound train direct to Hoboken only, with no explanation. We had to change to a JSQ train (which, of course, ALSO stopped in Hoboken).

Posted on: 2014/7/18 11:43
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 10:28 AM
Subject: PATHAlert

SUN 7/20: 33-JSQ(HOB)stopping in EXPL for turnaround due to single tracking at Grove St. EXPL will remain closed. Allow extra time.

What a mess coming up Sunday. PATH will go from JSQ and Grove to Exchange Place but you can't get out to take the ferry. Then it will go to Newport, then Hoboken, then finally to Manhattan. Lovely.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 10:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
sorry about the double post. my phone sucks. tried to delete it, too, but what a shock. webmaster, if you don't mind...

Posted on: 2014/6/22 21:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Yet another episode of who's line is it anyway, featuring the pa.

Where the schedules don't matter because the excuses are made up! Don't bother using the posted schedules today. According to the conductor and flunkie on the phone, the schedules aren't accurate today due to *spins the wheel* construction!

The scheduled 9:34 departed at 9:29. The only slight saving grace was the scheduled 10:09 came at 9:41. Leave yourselves a good 15 minutes extra today folks. Who knows what the #OOPS# they're doing today

Posted on: 2014/6/22 12:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Yet another episode of who's line is it anyway, featuring the pa.

Where the schedules don't matter because the excuses are made up! Don't bother using the posted schedules today. According to the conductor and flunkie on the phone, the schedules aren't accurate today due to *spins the wheel* construction!

The scheduled 9:34 departed at 9:29. The only slight saving grace was the scheduled 10:09 came at 9:41. Leave yourselves a good 15 minutes extra today folks. Who knows what the #OOPS# they're doing today

Posted on: 2014/6/22 9:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
PATH Riders' Council (PRC)

As part of our initiative to enhance public outreach, PATH is pleased to announce a new program, the PATH Riders’ Council (PRC) to garner feedback from riders and improve customer service. PRC is being formed to ensure PATH riders have a voice in system design and operations decision-making. The PRC will consist of up to 21 volunteer positions with a cross section of riders from different geographical locations and demographics representing the PATH service area.

The inaugural PRC convening will be held in July of 2014. PRC members will meet six times a year for the one-year pilot and will have the ability to call special meetings and form working groups, as needed. The pilot period will allow time for the council members to provide formal recommendations on the new council’s structure and function.

PATH is now accepting applications to serve as a PRC member for the pilot year. Click here to see if you are eligible to apply and/or download an application. Riders may apply online to be a PRC member. Applications can be submitted online, mailed in, faxed in, or dropped off in person. PRC applications must be received by 8PM on Friday, June 20, 2014.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/prc.html

This isn't new, the PA has held some kind of riders forum for years. It's basically a useless PR move where they pretend to care but don't take any suggestions seriously.

People have already told the PATH execs we only want one real thing, bypass the Hoboken stop on weekends (and now nights). They don't care.

At one of the community meetings about the WTC closure, there actually was a decision maker in attendance. Many people raised this Hoboken issue. He dismissed this by saying something to the effect of Hoboken is the center of our area and their data indicates lots of riders want to go there. We said listen to everyone in this room, that isn't true and JC wants to skip Hoboken. He ignored it.

So I'd only sign up for this latest PR "rider council" if you like getting smoke blown up your ass.

Posted on: 2014/6/10 11:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
PATH Riders' Council (PRC)

As part of our initiative to enhance public outreach, PATH is pleased to announce a new program, the PATH Riders’ Council (PRC) to garner feedback from riders and improve customer service. PRC is being formed to ensure PATH riders have a voice in system design and operations decision-making. The PRC will consist of up to 21 volunteer positions with a cross section of riders from different geographical locations and demographics representing the PATH service area.

The inaugural PRC convening will be held in July of 2014. PRC members will meet six times a year for the one-year pilot and will have the ability to call special meetings and form working groups, as needed. The pilot period will allow time for the council members to provide formal recommendations on the new council’s structure and function.

PATH is now accepting applications to serve as a PRC member for the pilot year. Click here to see if you are eligible to apply and/or download an application. Riders may apply online to be a PRC member. Applications can be submitted online, mailed in, faxed in, or dropped off in person. PRC applications must be received by 8PM on Friday, June 20, 2014.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/prc.html

Posted on: 2014/6/10 10:47
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
PATH Education Series (PES)

PATH has developed a new initiative to increase educational outreach in the communities we serve via the PATH Education Series (PES). PES sessions are offered in the evenings at 6:30 p.m. Session are expected to run no longer than 90 minutes and will include a 30-minute question and answer period. Register to attend the next PATH Education Series.

PATH Education Series (PES)

Session 1: Super Storm Sandy Rehabilitation

Overview of damage, recovery, and restoration progress from Hurricane Sandy.

Deputy Director

Session 2: Utilizing Technology for Safety

Gain an understanding of the urgency for weekend signal work that will improve safety and system operations.

TBD

Session 3: Trends & Fare Collection

Learn practical information about fare discounts, the automated fare system (SmartLink), and alternate methods of payment (MTA card, gray card). A statistical overview of how fare products are utilized will also be provided.

TBD

Session 4: Customer Service & Public Outreach

Learn about the various resources provided by PATH for way-finding and customer help. Also, learn about the public outreach programs being offered and how your feedback and participation could help improve our system.

TBD

http://www.panynj.gov/path/pes.html

Posted on: 2014/6/10 10:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bricks wrote:
Couldn't the cyclist just "wait a goddamned minute and let the platform empty" before obstructing the steps by going up the wrong side with his/her bike?

agreed. but he was already near the top of the stairs, and there was no train coming that anyone had to rush to. loudmouth just turned a minor annoyance into a major scene, and for what?

Posted on: 2014/6/9 22:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
When exiting a crowded train, I usually just wait 30 seconds on the platform for the crowds to rumble up the stairs. Once they clear out, I walk up stress free. It's worth the half minute in my eyes.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 12:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
you're right but the cyclist is entitled to walking down the staircase just as much as passengers are entitled to walk up it. If there are better rules or signage indicating which stairs to be used for up and down, it would simplify things a lot more.

Having lived in Tokyo, the subway crowds are horrendous. However, there are signs with arrows up and down on staircases and marked lines that help control traffic flow. No one crosses the line - i've been there when a complete staircase is empty coming down and everyone is walking on the up staircase because no one wants to cross the downstaircase line. At least there, people follow rules.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 11:30
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Couldn't the cyclist just "wait a goddamned minute and let the platform empty" before obstructing the steps by going up the wrong side with his/her bike?

Posted on: 2014/6/9 11:21
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
perhaps he needed to catch a train coming in going the other way.

mind you not waiting the 5 steps was stupid, but it also wasn't necessarily without reason.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 21:39
Print Top

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 49 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2015