Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: New PATH train schedules starting this Sunday
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Thank you for telling me about PATH's award winning "alert system" Knowing that every problem is a signal problem or police investigation, giving me absolutely no ETA on when service will return to normal HELPS ME A LOT.

I never said it was "award winning." I'm just pointing out that notification options do exist. They're basically the same as what other transit systems use.

And yes, they don't always have ETA's on repairs. Neither do other services. Just the other day, I was on the E train when it got stuck, because of signal problems on the line. (Apparently when it rains for 30 minutes, MTA lines can go down -- who knew?) They didn't give any ETA.

Same thing if you look at the Twitter feed for the NYC subways -- they just say "allow additional time."

Quote:
Yes, they make announcements in the station because everyone who rides the PATH is tentatively listening for announcements and not listening to music on his or her iphone....

I'm sorry, but you're just getting unreasonable. If someone on a platform is oblivious to the world, how are they supposed to learn about delays?

We're talking about mass transit, not a concierge service.

Quote:
if you are not giving me relevant info about PATH service, please get rid of the TV's and use that money to umm, let's say, improve service!

PATH gets paid for ad service on the screens.

Quote:
From your comments Dolomiti, either you have never rode the PATH or you work for the PATH.

Good grief.

Again, I take the PATH and NYC subways 5-6 times a week, and I've used many other mass transit systems. I'm just not the one standing on the platform, fuming in a barely controllable rage, because it takes the train more than 30 seconds for a train to show up.

And again, I'm not saying they are above all reproach. Only that they're basically on par with almost every other mass transit system I've used, and I've used quite a few.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 16:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
I will say that last night I took the 10PM train during this new schedule (which arrived late) It was absolutely rammed at 33rd and obviously just got worse as the ride went on and the typical stop in Hoboken didn't help. Though I will take the PATH over driving any day, it just makes the whole ride uncomfortable....

Posted on: 2013/5/13 15:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/5 20:15
Group:
Registered Users
SUNDAY NWK-WTC Line, Before 10:20 AM

SERVICE HAS BEEN CUT TO EVERY 35 MINUTES

THAT'S COMPARED TO EVERY 15 MINUTES UNDER PREVIOUS SCHEDULE (FROM 7-10AM SUNDAYS)

THAT'S A MAJOR REDUCTION IN SERVICE IN THE MIDDLE OF A MASSIVE, THREE-YEAR FARE HIKE

Posted on: 2013/5/13 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
what is amazing is that Healy, Fulop are so quiet? Why aren't they calling Christie, the Port Authority - creating a big stink about this.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 14:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Are we sure about this new schedule thing? Not putting a schedule currently in effect (as of yesterday, right?) and leaving the old one up on the website seems beneath even the PATH.

I just want to +1 all the complainers and haters and -1 the supporters of the PATH system.

And I also want to give a huge +1 to whoever asked why the real estate developers aren't lobbying for better PATH service. The region whose real estate would benefit from more consistent and frequent PATH service is worth literally billions of dollars in new development; nobody thought to have a sit-down with the two states about that?

Posted on: 2013/5/13 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Heights, I haven't had the opportunity to pick up a schedule yet. Wow, 20 minutes? What is it in the evening? Every 30? That is pretty awful. I wonder what the rationale was? Especially, when they just raised rates last year. Unfortunately, we have to suffer as the PaTh owns a monopoly without any other competing train line....

Posted on: 2013/5/13 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The new weekend daytime schedules for both the 33rd and WTC lines are every 20 minutes. Prior to that, they were every 10 and every 15 minutes respectively. Unfortunately the PATH website's PDF schedule does not reflect this yet.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 12:34
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
I'm hoping someone from Team Fulop, after the election, will be able to bring some transparency to the Port authority

Thats if they or any of them get elected. It would be better to concentrate on who ever gets elected jump on these issues. The candidates evaded the questions in the debates with generalized answers to transportation concerns.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 10:53
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Mayors have no power over the P.A. You have to go to the governor for that.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 10:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm hoping someone from Team Fulop, after the election, will be able to bring some transparency to the Port authority

Posted on: 2013/5/13 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
To say PATH "didn't communicate well" after Sandy is like saying Sandy was just a rainstorm.

No, it's just to say they didn't discuss repairs, as they should have.

The failure to talk about the process did not actually slow down the repair process. The lack of communication was an inconvenience, not an impediment to service.

Quote:
New cars?

Yes, new cars. The entire fleet. Have you really already forgotten?

Quote:
1) Upgrade the signal system so it doesn't fail ever week

Every transit system has problems like this. PATH is no better or worse than any other system I've used.

Quote:
3) replace 1000000 yr old eqeipment

...a process that causes the kinds of delays you kvetch about

Quote:
4) Tell us the reason why lines are suspended ALL OF A SUDDEN
5) Give us ETA (E = Estimated) on when lines come back up

http://www.panynj.gov/path/alerts-advisories.html
https://twitter.com/PATHTrain

They also usually make announcements in the station when there's an unusual delay. Have you really never heard the guy with the weird accent?

Quote:
6) And if you want to charge us rates close to the MTA, how about you offer similar level of service?

They're not that far off. And again, MTA has its own problems.

Mind you, I don't think PATH is above reproach. Only that the level of vitriol aimed at actual service doesn't make sense. Things run fine the overwhelming majority of the time.

Thank you for telling me about PATH's award winning "alert system" Knowing that every problem is a signal problem or police investigation, giving me absolutely no ETA on when service will return to normal HELPS ME A LOT. Also, reading that PATH service is not normal sometimes 30 minutes after service is suspended or delayed HELPS ME A LOT TOO. Furthermore, telling me that NJTransit will cross honor without giving me ANY INFO on how to get to NJ via NJTransit HELPS ME THE MOST. Yes, they make announcements in the station because everyone who rides the PATH is tentatively listening for announcements and not listening to music on his or her iphone trying not to think of how poorly managed the PATH system has become. Also, I bring up the "PATH visions" because no one gives a damn about "STOOP TALK," if you are not giving me relevant info about PATH service, please get rid of the TV's and use that money to umm, let's say, improve service!

From your comments Dolomiti, either you have never rode the PATH or you work for the PATH. You really have absolutely no understanding of the troubles the multitudes of PATH riders experience on a daily level.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I ride both 5-6 times a week. I've also had experience with lots of other transit systems.

Then my third statement stands.

Quote:
Discussing Sandy says nothing about daily service.

Sure, let's talk about today. I got on at 8:30 at the 23rd St station. I had no idea when the train was coming because the text service wasn't working before I got in and the scroll on the TV had nothing but "The Hoboken elevator will be out of service until the summer."

Brief aside: it's out of service because they're goddamn morons and parked it on the ground level and not the basement level. Thus when the water flooded in, the weight snapped the cable, sending it crashing to the ground, destroying it.

Anyway, when a train finally showed up on the new 20 minute schedule bullsh*(&t, every single car from the front on back (which is normally the least crowded) was standing room only. By the time we hit 14th St, it was jammed as bad or worse than anything at rush hour.

I've ridden both services since I was an infant near 34 years ago. Aside from sporting/concert events letting out, you will never find such absurd overcrowding on an MTA line on a "regular" schedule at that time of night. Why? Because they run the proper amount of trains needed to serve the community at an appropriate level.

Quote:
The PATH/MTA situations aren't comparable, because the damage was worse.

Really, the two flooded tunnels were worse than the seven? Do tell.

Quote:
But the difference in recovery times was also understandable.

No. No they aren't. They're understandable if you excuse the croneyism fueled sh@(#theads who run the port authority with zero accountability compared to the MTA in which the politicians who can fire the people in charge there. When there's heads that can roll on the drop of a dime, shockingly things get accomplished a little better from time to time.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
You either need to ride the MTA more, ride the path more or simply pay attention more.

I ride both 5-6 times a week. I've also had experience with lots of other transit systems.

Quote:
Again, Sandy is the simplest thing to look at...

Sandy is an extreme event. Discussing Sandy says nothing about daily service. Anyway....

Quote:
Somehow, the MTA managed to have regular normal 24hr service on every single line in under two weeks.

They were fast, but not every line was back instantly. E.g. service to the Rockaways is only coming on line now. There's still a lot of damage that needs repair. (MTA also didn't refund any monthly Metrocards...)

The PATH/MTA situations aren't comparable, because the damage was worse. Plus, Hoboken AND most of the Manhattan below 28th Street had no power. Hoboken was also so flooded that it was basically impassible for several days; the station was also completely flooded. Still, a great deal of service was restored relatively quickly.

NYC residents also had numerous other options, including several bridges and bus service, which helped mitigate some of the crunch. Unless you live in Fort Lee, your only option was the ferry.

So yes, it was inconvenient and unpleasant. But the difference in recovery times was also understandable.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The developers should exert some pressure to improve service as proximity along with reliable frequency of trains would be a MAJOR selling feature of new condos/ apts.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ajwitkowski wrote:
Quote:

Zippy1808 wrote:
It looks like the biggest change - and a BAD one at that - is the reduction of daytime/evening Sunday service on the 33-JSQ via HOB line from every 10 minutes to every 20 minutes.

What's the deal??

Where did you see that?

The printed schedules they have in the stations. That's why everyone is so mad. The WTC line too.

Not on their website yet I don't think.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 18:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/8 18:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Zippy1808 wrote:
It looks like the biggest change - and a BAD one at that - is the reduction of daytime/evening Sunday service on the 33-JSQ via HOB line from every 10 minutes to every 20 minutes.

What's the deal??

Where did you see that?

Posted on: 2013/5/12 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
PATH is no better or worse than any other system I've used.

You either need to ride the MTA more, ride the path more or simply pay attention more. This is flat out not correct when compared with the transportation system directly adjacent to it.

Again, Sandy is the simplest thing to look at. MTA has I believe 17 lines that pass through (again, I believe) 7 tunnels that were all flooded. Path has 3 lines that go through 2.

Somehow, the MTA managed to have regular normal 24hr service on every single line in under two weeks.

Somehow, path took two+ months to restore normal service, which promptly went back to delays the very next weekend and has been that way nearly every weekend since. Not to mention the stupidity that is the Hoboken elevator, the Exchange place escalator fiasco, the second exit at Grove, and the fact that the escalator at Grove, which stinks normally, has been breaking down every other week now.

Hell, there are probably tons of other issues at other stops - I just don't get off there to know about them. Wasn't Harrison closed for a while, too?

Posted on: 2013/5/12 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
To say PATH "didn't communicate well" after Sandy is like saying Sandy was just a rainstorm.

No, it's just to say they didn't discuss repairs, as they should have.

The failure to talk about the process did not actually slow down the repair process. The lack of communication was an inconvenience, not an impediment to service.

Quote:
New cars?

Yes, new cars. The entire fleet. Have you really already forgotten?

Quote:

Every transit system has problems like this. PATH is no better or worse than any other system I've used.

Quote:

...a process that causes the kinds of delays you kvetch about

Quote:

http://www.panynj.gov/path/alerts-advisories.html
https://twitter.com/PATHTrain

They also usually make announcements in the station when there's an unusual delay. Have you really never heard the guy with the weird accent?

Quote:
6) And if you want to charge us rates close to the MTA, how about you offer similar level of service?

They're not that far off. And again, MTA has its own problems.

Mind you, I don't think PATH is above reproach. Only that the level of vitriol aimed at actual service doesn't make sense. Things run fine the overwhelming majority of the time.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 11:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure why the monthly ridership statistics aren't published on the PA site. Someone happened to recently send me this April report because they knew I was interested on the impact that new development in downtown has on the PATH system and even more importantly, what the future development in JSQ will have on the the PATH system.

So I made this document, which I couldn't find anywhere on the PA's web site into a public Google doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/cc ... ZKYVdyZXZaSFE&usp=sharing

I know they are still trying to recover from Sandy, but look at the ridership at Grove Street PARTICULARLY on the weekend.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 22:45
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Compared to the MTA, how the PATH handled the system after Sandy was a monumental disaster. New cars? How about you get rid of "PATH vision", "Stoop Talk", "New Cars", stop funding real estate projects, tear down the "100 years of PATH history" and stop printing nonsense and actually...

Posted on: 2013/5/11 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fastus wrote:
After 9/11 the 33rd-Jrnl Sqr line was directed thru Hoboken during weekend daytime hours. That service reduction has never been corrected.

I gotta say, based on the volume I see, I'm not sure restoration is justified. And it adds less than 5 minutes to the trip time. All 33rd Street trains use the same tunnel, which is right next to the Hoboken Station.

Quote:
now they want to reduce service again for the weekends.

The schedule changes frequently. The last one only went into effect in February. They could easily add more service in a few months.

Quote:
Fares go up

Fares always go up. There's this weird thing called "inflation," and yes, it affects transit services too.

Quote:
traveling public is bigger and service doesn't get better

So the novelty of the new cars has already worn off, eh?

Quote:
Sandy recovery was managed so very poorly.

Not really, they just didn't communicate well. Far, far worse things could have happened.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
I've used a wide variety of public transportation systems in the US and Europe, and PATH is roughly the same service as everything else. I agree they don't communicate well, but otherwise I just really don't understand where all this antipathy comes from.

MTA is good, but also has its own problems -- e.g. no viable direct connections between Brooklyn and Queens (G train is a joke), repeated budget shortfalls, opaque financial management, disruptive repairs (especially on weekends), perpetual inability to build the 2nd Ave line, lines can flood at the drop of a hat....

PATH management isn't responsible for capacity problems during rush hour; there's only so many trains that can go through the tunnels. Christie also put the big kibosh on adding another rail tunnel, which would have helped relieve crowding. And if you want a packed train, try the 4/5/6 during rush hour some time.

By the way, the average overnight schedule on the MTA? 20 minutes.

Paris Metro? London Underground? Boston? SF? Atlanta? They close every night for about 4 hours.

This is not to say the PATH train is perfectly run. It's just nowhere near as bad as the haters proclaim. The level of vitriol would be inexplicable... if it was anywhere other than a community forum.

Yeah, the average schedule on the MTA is 20 minutes overnight. Not all day Sunday! That's kind of the problem. Especially because it was never really announced in advance and there is no reason for it other than to save money and pad their bloated salaries.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Post-Sandy, the Path was an absolute joke. But outside of that month or so, which was very frustrating, I can count on one hand the number of times I have been really, really screwed over the past 10 years. Compared to other systems, that's pretty good.

Major cities like Boston and DC, among many others, have subway systems that stop running at like 1am. How many 24/7 systems even exist in the US? It's really nice to have 24 hour service, and that shouldn't be taken for granted.

I suspect that people like Corybraiterman and Pathh8tr do a lot of complaining in their lives. Of course everybody is entitled to an opinion and everybody has the right to complain, but after a while the negativity and cynical attitude is just plain annoying.

Dude, congrats, you're the most articulate troll I've ever read. Wasting 3 paragraphs in response. You could have hopped on your PATH train and back by now.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Post-Sandy, the Path was an absolute joke. But outside of that month or so, which was very frustrating, I can count on one hand the number of times I have been really, really screwed over the past 10 years. Compared to other systems, that's pretty good.

Major cities like Boston and DC, among many others, have subway systems that stop running at like 1am. How many 24/7 systems even exist in the US? It's really nice to have 24 hour service, and that shouldn't be taken for granted.

I suspect that people like Corybraiterman and Pathh8tr do a lot of complaining in their lives. Of course everybody is entitled to an opinion and everybody has the right to complain, but after a while the negativity and cynical attitude is just plain annoying.

You're comparing PATH to other systems but why not compare it to itself?

How are we not getting screwed over when fares are increasing and yet service is decreasing?

Posted on: 2013/5/11 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fastus wrote:
It's hard to believe people wouldn't have antipathy towards the PATH.

After 9/11 the 33rd-Jrnl Sqr line was directed thru Hoboken during weekend daytime hours. That service reduction has never been corrected. And now they want to reduce service again for the weekends.

Fares go up, traveling public is bigger and service doesn't get better, it gets worse. And Sandy recovery was managed so very poorly.

Weekends had normal weekday schedules from early morning (7am?) until 7pm between something like 2003 and 2006.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/11 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Jeepers, JClist lives up to its name. POSITIVES: it takes me from New Jersey to New York. Done.

Hey listen, I have bitched plenty about the Path myself. But performance-wise, it compares pretty favorably when compared with similar systems. So yes, there are things to bitch about, but that is not unique to this transit system. Which other systems have you taken that are better/cleaner/more reliable? Maybe you are just not a mass transit type of person. They ALL have a lot of negatives.

Really? Who cares. My experience is my own and I hate the inconsistency. Entitled to my opinion without having to defend it and write a paragraph to answer your questions.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 14:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/1 1:51
Group:
Registered Users
It's hard to believe people wouldn't have antipathy towards the PATH.

After 9/11 the 33rd-Jrnl Sqr line was directed thru Hoboken during weekend daytime hours. That service reduction has never been corrected. And now they want to reduce service again for the weekends.

Fares go up, traveling public is bigger and service doesn't get better, it gets worse. And Sandy recovery was managed so very poorly.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Cory, none of the people I'm referring to are "dumb", but they might have different opinions than you.

The people I'm referring to appreciate the cleanliness and the *relative* lack of overcrowding.

Have you ever commuted regularly between Brooklyn and Manhattan?

Or for that matter taken the 4,5,6 from Uptown Manhattan downtown during rush hour. It's horrendous.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've used a wide variety of public transportation systems in the US and Europe, and PATH is roughly the same service as everything else. I agree they don't communicate well, but otherwise I just really don't understand where all this antipathy comes from.

MTA is good, but also has its own problems -- e.g. no viable direct connections between Brooklyn and Queens (G train is a joke), repeated budget shortfalls, opaque financial management, disruptive repairs (especially on weekends), perpetual inability to build the 2nd Ave line, lines can flood at the drop of a hat....

PATH management isn't responsible for capacity problems during rush hour; there's only so many trains that can go through the tunnels. Christie also put the big kibosh on adding another rail tunnel, which would have helped relieve crowding. And if you want a packed train, try the 4/5/6 during rush hour some time.

By the way, the average overnight schedule on the MTA? 20 minutes.

Paris Metro? London Underground? Boston? SF? Atlanta? They close every night for about 4 hours.

This is not to say the PATH train is perfectly run. It's just nowhere near as bad as the haters proclaim. The level of vitriol would be inexplicable... if it was anywhere other than a community forum.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 11:15

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017