Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: JC Downtown Business Wish List
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
sounds liks the the deli your looking for is Milanos over by the post office. Seriously a good italian deli.....i think, but im not italian soi caould be wrong. but it is good

Posted on: 2010/2/19 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
@mikewho12 and @HamiltonParker:

I don't know if you've ever been to the Second Street Bakery, but it's a great (tiny) Italian deli on 2nd and Brunswick. It's very old school (closes by 3pm during the week) but worth checking out/supporting if it's not too much of a trek from where you live. Here's the link to its Yelp reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/second-street-bakery-jersey-city

Posted on: 2010/2/19 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Food Co-Op: would rock!
Hoboken-Style Deli with freshly made moozerella: please!!
Bakery: bring it on!!!

When, oh when, will the city council mandate historic signage for downtown shops? With the new *gas* lights, planters, side walks and repaving...out downtown has never looked better. Yet I am consistently disappointed with the plastic, neon, tender-loving-hands-at home business canopies and signs that are permitted.

Journal Square business redevelopment area demands carved wooden signage and portrays a unified, tasteful vision.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 14:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
A quality BYOB Italian restaurant in HP would be amazing.

I could also go for a really good italian deli, anyone from Hoboken would be fine. There's nothing like fresh Mozzarella and Italian meats on freshly baked bread. I'd be there three or four times a week.

A nice, clean market or at least a butcher would also be a good addition to HP. There doesn't seem to be any place to buy meats for dinner without a car.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 0:11

Re: Starting a business
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/1 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcsupporter22 wrote:
How difficult is it to start a business in Jersey City...? I have a plethora of ideas...to cater to the artsy and younger and older crowd while being a unique shop that could become a destination. I hear there was a bookstore downtown at one point. Maybe a bookstore/coffee house/art gallery? Something interactive that would keep people coming back for more? I just moved to the area and I feel like there is so much potential! If only I had millions of dollars.

Are there lots of restrictions when starting a business in JC? The only thing I know is that the city requires a permit for practically everything you do to your business and fire inspections are a joke. Anyone on here that owns a business that could give me some insight on this?

Feel free to PM or email me (email is probably easier for me to check) I own the comic book/video game store downtown and I'll try to answer a few of your questions. I don't have much insight but I'll try to help you out where I can.

FJBComics@gmail.com

Posted on: 2010/2/19 0:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Barnes & Noble

Petco or Petsmart

Cheese Shop

Eyebrow Threading Place

A Korean BBQ place

Posted on: 2010/2/18 23:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
I second the deli runner up. I grew up on sandwiches in the Philly area and I can't stand it when I am hungry, don't want to cook, don't want to dine and I can't find a decent sandwich to save my life!!!!! The only ones I know are never open.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 23:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/25 19:10
Group:
Registered Users
Great thread topic and comments! Here's my wish-list:

1. Bakery -- might be an echo in here but freshly baked bread and baked goods should not be something you have to get at a super market.

2. Book store -- independents are almost nonexistent at this point, but if you were to couple a cafe and book store, i think it would do well here.

3. Ethiopian restaurant -- there used to be one but it just didn't have the legs to make it...man what I wouldn't do to have that back.

4. Quality dive bar -- also a repeat but a good dive with friendly staff, reasonable prices, and a generally kind-spirited consumer base would go so far.

Runners-Up:

- Music/Record shop
- Classic deli

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/23 20:01
Group:
Registered Users
BYOB Italian restaurant in Hamilton Park

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Tiffany's, Cartier, and Van Cleef & Arpel.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 20:13

Re: hot doggies
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely....best place would be around Grove Street Path Station.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 0:38

hot doggies
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
My (soon to be) brother in law is opening a hotdog joint and is not sure what town he wants it in. The business plan is done and he just needs a home for it. I would love to hear some feedback from all of you to pass along to him. I personally think it would do excellent in DTJC. All opinions welcome, Good, Bad or Ugly!

Posted on: 2010/2/18 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Bagel shop, Chinese take out, bakery, for starters in Paulus Hook. Thank you.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcsupporter22 wrote:
How difficult is it to start a business in Jersey City...? I have a plethora of ideas...to cater to the artsy and younger and older crowd while being a unique shop that could become a destination. I hear there was a bookstore downtown at one point. Maybe a bookstore/coffee house/art gallery? Something interactive that would keep people coming back for more? I just moved to the area and I feel like there is so much potential! If only I had millions of dollars.

Are there lots of restrictions when starting a business in JC? The only thing I know is that the city requires a permit for practically everything you do to your business and fire inspections are a joke. Anyone on here that owns a business that could give me some insight on this?

Please...please...please go to the SBA (Small Business Administration) website and work through a business plan. Most Important: Make sure your projected daily income will cover your expenses and be brutally honest about revenue projections. Have a plan for growth and know the first year is almost always lean. Budget for unexpected surprises. Good Luck.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 14:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/3 19:39
Group:
Registered Users
I'm seriously thinking about starting a food co-op, much like there is in Park Slope and would appreciate some feedback. What do people think of the idea in general?

Posted on: 2009/9/23 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
It's nice that you want to start a business, but be forewarned about opening the kind of business that you describe. I've been living downtown for about five years, and I've seen many similar type stores open and close within a few years - Imaginatrium was one of them. There seem to be a lot of people who you want as your target market walking around on the streets, but for some reason, they don't seem to be able to support a cute little bookstore/cafe.

Before you spend any money on a new business or take out a business loan, I suggest that you do a lot of homework. Asking around on this list is a good idea, but maybe talking to successful and unsuccessful local business owners might help. Also, do some market research - maybe even hire a professional.

I don't want to discourage you. I think if it's run really well, a business that you describe can prosper here. I just hate to see another business like Imaginatrium or Janam open only to close a few years later.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 11:13

Starting a business

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/22 22:16
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/22 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Hourglass had fantastic food, but how many people in the VVP neighborhood are buying cheese and prosciutto at $20.00 a pound?

Posted on: 2009/5/29 14:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
Something Whole Foods'esque. Green Cow never came close. The new place in Liberty Towers is just really an expensive and more expansive corner store with a big salad bar. Between Hoboken and downtown JC, you can't tell me that the demographics don't indicate that a Whole Foods wouldn't do well.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 11:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/25 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
dance studio...ballroom, hip hop, jazz, whatever. closest is in hoboken.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 18:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/25 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
used book store

Posted on: 2009/5/28 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
I wish that Hourglass Fine Foods would open back up.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
We live in Paulus Hook and the lack of amenities here is pathetic.
Why don't shops open up here, like a bagel shop, pizza joint, breakfast and or lunch eatery, supermarket, bakery, chinese take out, clothing stores, shoe store, blah blah blah??
Anybody know? I mean are there not enough people living here to sustain it? Sure as hell are enough condos. Grrr...

Posted on: 2009/5/28 17:53

Re: What's missing in downtown Jersey City ???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
* live music at rascal's.

* a food co-op

Posted on: 2009/5/28 1:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 21:12
Group:
Registered Users
a basic bakery selling all kinds of fresh bread - and MAYBE cupcakes, and old school cakes.....german chocolate, red velvet, lemon pound....

a cheese shoppe to go with the bread?? a la Murray's...we could call it Cheesy City, NJ.

i already got my wish for the bike store & wine shops!

Posted on: 2009/5/22 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Why does the City make it so difficult for businesses to open especially on Newark Avenue? I've spoken to a couple of restaurant owners and they said the process is a nightmare and obtaining a liquor license is next to impossible. They informed me that it takes forever.

Is it just me or does anyone think that they are missing the boat on this? They should be promoting new businesses and making it easier for them to open. They do it for RE developers why not restaurantors.

Newark Ave has the potential to be the crown jewel of downtown, but it just looks like a missed opportunity.

youre not alone on that thought. i think this city is so backwards and archaic in its politics sometimes, that its just annoying. its so much easier to get a liquor license, esp if youre a bodega and just want to sell beer in NY than NJ.

more business is therefore likely to flock to NY and where there is more business, more people will go, and that means the places have a better chance of STAYING in business. it doesnt take a genius to figure that one out. i hope newark ave eventually gets some unique and prosperous businesses over the next few years including restaurants and bars, but its a battle with a city that wants it and blocks it at the same time. dummies.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Why does the City make it so difficult for businesses to open especially on Newark Avenue? I've spoken to a couple of restaurant owners and they said the process is a nightmare and obtaining a liquor license is next to impossible. They informed me that it takes forever.

Is it just me or does anyone think that they are missing the boat on this? They should be promoting new businesses and making it easier for them to open. They do it for RE developers why not restaurantors.

Newark Ave has the potential to be the crown jewel of downtown, but it just looks like a missed opportunity.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 16:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
DISCLAIMER1: I'm all about supporting those businesses that already exist, Some of what we put on our wishlists is undoubtedly already in existence, if you look for it.
That said....

FETCH-IT

an automat like BAMN!
http://bamnfood.com/
http://www.jaunted.com/story/2007/3/4 ... tination%3A+Bamn!+Automat

A movie theatre/bar/restaurant like ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE
http://www.drafthouse.com/
http://originalalamo.blogspot.com/2007/11/0-putting-on-ritz.html

A small live music-friendly venue like GOLDHAWK
http://www.thegoldhawk.com/
or THE BRONZE (for fans of Buffy TVS) or the LIVING ROOM http://www.livingroomny.com/
or ROCKWOOD MUSIC HALL
or UNCLE JOES

A breakfast joint that delivers.

A bed and breakfast/rooming house/hostel run by a quirky OLD BROAD like TALES OF THE CITY or the CANAL STREET GUEST HOUSE
http://bestguesthouse.com/
(the former funeral home on Jersey is begging for it)

DISCLAIMER 2: Not to make downtown into an outdoor mall (see Westfield, NJ)...but I'd rather see the "restaurant row" of Newark Ave have some staple chain stores rather than another non-99 cent store mixed in there. Esp ones that are open latenight to make the place look, y'know lively. The reciprocity btw the stores and the other establishments is a nice element of the Lower East Side.
...and its nice to have some mass produced options to mix in with vintage items.

AMERICAN APPAREL
URBAN OUTFITTERS
H&M
OLD NAVY (surprised there isn't already one in Newport Mall)
HOT TOPIC (or a joint like TRASH AND VAUDEVILLE http://www.nycgoth.com/shops/trashnvaudeville/)

Posted on: 2008/12/13 8:56

Re: What's missing in downtown Jersey City ???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Wouldn't something like Berlin's Badeschiff be great on the Hudson or the Morris Canal in Jersey City -- or even over in Liberty State Park. (BTW: It's a year round pool/spa/club)
If need be we could even name it after some bad monument idea.
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badeschiff

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05272008/ ... avel/babe_land_112659.htm

Posted on: 2008/12/11 18:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseygirl wrote:
Pump Energy Food or a similar store to get healthy prepared food for takeout.

... like Eva's on 8th st in Greenwich Village. That would be great!

I'd also like to have a bakery like Monteleones...

(healthfood today, cupcakes tomorrow lol)

and this is really farfetched but would love to have a real Jewish Deli (where is the closest one btw?)

Posted on: 2008/12/9 21:32

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017