Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Pasta Dal Cuore
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Did brunch during the winter, was very happy.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 0:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Have eaten there twice (and bought pasta there to cook on my own a couple times). The food is really, really good. The meatballs I think are the best in JC. I've been very impressed with the restaurant food.

The ambiance is terrible to be honest, and needs a lot of work to make it a warmer experience. It looks very cold, very sterile. I personally think that steel gray color that all the walls are painted is the worst color for a restaurant. A simple color change would make a world of difference.

Another suggestion I would have is a nice decorative curtain drawn halfway between the pasta counter area and the seating/restaurant area.

I have the same impression. The food is great, the portions are a little small, but it's downright spooky in there. Hopefully the owner gets wind, if he or she hasn't noticed already.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Have eaten there twice (and bought pasta there to cook on my own a couple times). The food is really, really good. The meatballs I think are the best in JC. I've been very impressed with the restaurant food.

The ambiance is terrible to be honest, and needs a lot of work to make it a warmer experience. It looks very cold, very sterile. I personally think that steel gray color that all the walls are painted is the worst color for a restaurant. A simple color change would make a world of difference.

Another suggestion I would have is a nice decorative curtain drawn halfway between the pasta counter area and the seating/restaurant area.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I ate there with a large group a couple of months ago and with a party of four last month. The food was very good, and service was fine.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
I walk by there every night and it's definitely not empty most of the time. Weekends every table is full.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We went shortly after they started serving dinner. I remember food was all right. I vaguely remember service was all right too. Are they not doing well?
(I moved away, so I had no idea.)

Posted on: 2016/3/24 20:17

Pasta Dal Cuore

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 20:00
From paulus hook
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone been to Pasta Dal Cuore?
I had a bad experience there and will not be returning. Just wondering how other peoples dinners have been.
From the looks of how empty it is I would guess they wont be around for much longer anyway.
We do need a nice homemade Pasta place downtown, hopefully as we grow something else moves in!

Posted on: 2016/3/24 19:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
My family and I had a really nice dinner here in June, I believe during the first week of dinner service. Service was pretty inattentive but the salad, pasta and chicken dish was plentiful and delicious. A week later, we ordered the identical meal for takeout. The portions were literally half of the dining-in experience from the week before. We haven't been back since but wondered if others had the same experience or was it a one off?

Posted on: 2015/8/9 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I'm looking forward to trying this place out. The one observation that concerns me is that it seems they're not open on Sundays, which is the traditional big Italian pasta dinner day.

The store is open until 4 p.m., but no restaurant service (yet) on Sundays. Based on some conversations I've had with them, they're slowly ramping up their offerings in baby steps. I get the sense they want to grow slowly and do things well rather than offer too much at once before they're ready.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking forward to trying this place out. The one observation that concerns me is that it seems they're not open on Sundays, which is the traditional big Italian pasta dinner day.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Had dinner here the other night with friends and enjoyed everything on the table: meatballs and croquettes to start, the squid ink linguine, carbonara (disappeared so fast I never got a taste!), bolognese, and the maltagliati (lots of sausage and tender broccoli rabe), and finished with the lemon cake (great toothsome texture and wonderful lemon scent), chocolate cake (warm and melty), and the pistachio semi-fredo (refreshing).

We brought a couple bottles of wine and maybe over indulged on the food a bit, but everything was so tasty, we will definitely be back for another meal. And being byob, it's a reasonably priced night out.

Service was friendly and knowledgeable - some work the pasta counter up front so they can tell you all about the different pastas if you have any questions.

This is our go-to place for fresh pasta too. They know how to make a flavorful pasta that cooks to al dente perfection in just a few minutes. We have never returned to the dried stuff and probably buy from here once a week.

Posted on: 2015/8/7 13:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 19:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

The restaurant is open for dinner Tues-Thurs (5-10pm), Fri-Sat (5-11pm). Brunch set to start mid-July!

Posted on: 2015/7/2 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Picked up spinach fettuccine there last night for dinner and topped it with a homemade bolognese. It was very tasty, cooked up nicely to al dente, and had a delicate toothsome texture that was perfect for a meaty sauce.

I've never bought fresh pasta before aside from the grocery store refrigerator case stuff and this was far superior in taste and texture. It was $7/lb and I got 1 lb for two people. It was enough for 3 so I'm eating the leftovers today.

They had a sign outside for a sale on squash ravioli, so I guess sometimes things go on special.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/23 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
So what does this place charge by the pound for run of the mill fresh pasta, i.e. spaghetti? If it's affordable, I'll be buying it, if not, I won't. The debate over this place reminds me a little about when Eataly opened in Manhattan. It was fun to go to a few times, and one of their cafes is okay, but the rest of it just doesn't fit my lifestyle from a price standpoint. No matter how good it may be, I'm not paying $6 for a small bag of pasta.

Oh, and I really don't care one way or the other about the 99 cent/dollar stores. I really don't shop in them (I did buy a few things from the one in Newport Mall once), but their existence in any part of Jersey City doesn't bother me either.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
If their pasta is too expensive, enough people won't buy it. They'll price adjust or go out of business.

The pricing will correct itself, or it won't. If it doesn't, it means that it's not "over-priced".

I think it's a bit more nuanced - sometimes I'll pay more for a product not because the price reflects the *quality* per se, but because it's convenient (i.e., along my commute vs. a 15 minute car ride away). Sometimes products that are charging above market rates are really well marketed and people essentially pay more for the "cache."

Look at the juice place across the street from this place. Lots of people preferred to pay $6 for a larger, fresh squeezed juice at Nature House around the corner, instead of a smaller $8 pre-bottled juice at JuiceWell. If they had chosen a spot where they were the only juice game in a ~.5 mile radius, maybe the convenience would have justified the higher price point for more people. Or maybe they could have had sexier marketing somehow. There are other ways besides lowering prices to make a product more appealing.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 17:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/18 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
it would be great if they had a selection of cheeses

Posted on: 2014/11/21 23:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/27 18:34
From Historic Downtown, JC
Group:
Registered Users
For anyone previously put off by this place due to the expense. They just lowered their prices by about 20%.

Whilst they still may be on the high-end vs Raffetto's, it's a great addition to the neighbourhood. I'll probably still buy my filled pasta from Raffetto's though because I just prefer their style of ravioli (a lot of filling meaning I need to buy less of it).

Posted on: 2014/11/21 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

erstrecs wrote:
well, I've been going to Raffetto for decades and it's pretty easy for me to continue to do so. if this place was comparable in terms of quality and price, I'd love to switch over, but it doesn't sound like that's close to the case, at least currently. too bad.

Care to do some investigative journalism next time you pop into Raffetto? Make a list of a few items and price points and then yourself or someone here can take a look at the same products at Pasta Dal Cuore.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have not been here... I am not that into pasta. I find it interesting that people down there scream for less 99 cent stores but when something pricey comes to the area no one wants to open their wallet and support it. I am starting to realize this town has a lot of posers, That explains all the pizza shops.

Definitely a valid point. Lots of newcomers to downtown bemoan the 99c stores, and the not upscale-enough places, but then complain about the prices of new businesses. Lots of new places have come and gone. Maybe they had the wrong prices, or maybe they had the wrong product, or maybe it was a combination of other factors, but the fact remains that if people don't support these new businesses, they will not flourish and other entrepreneurs will be discouraged about the city and neighborhood. You want more upscale and "cool" places? Support the new businesses and help usher in a new era of development and businesses.

Full disclosure: I have yet to visit this place, but I suppose I will get around to it at some point.

The point is only valid to a certain extent, which doesn't appear to be met here.

Just because people want new businesses does not mean said businesses have carte blanche to charge whatever they want and the rest are obligated to support them. From the sounds of it, they are charging far more than similar places in Manhattan. That seems like an indication that they are overpriced, though the market will determine this.

Surely it isn't too difficult to support great new businesses that are also reasonably priced. Or even higher priced for higher quality. Here it sounds like the quality is up there but price is far too excessive.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I have not been here... I am not that into pasta. I find it interesting that people down there scream for less 99 cent stores but when something pricey comes to the area no one wants to open their wallet and support it. I am starting to realize this town has a lot of posers, That explains all the pizza shops.

Definitely a valid point. Lots of newcomers to downtown bemoan the 99c stores, and the not upscale-enough places, but then complain about the prices of new businesses. Lots of new places have come and gone. Maybe they had the wrong prices, or maybe they had the wrong product, or maybe it was a combination of other factors, but the fact remains that if people don't support these new businesses, they will not flourish and other entrepreneurs will be discouraged about the city and neighborhood. You want more upscale and "cool" places? Support the new businesses and help usher in a new era of development and businesses.

Full disclosure: I have yet to visit this place, but I suppose I will get around to it at some point.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 17:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 12:27
Group:
Registered Users
well, I've been going to Raffetto for decades and it's pretty easy for me to continue to do so. if this place was comparable in terms of quality and price, I'd love to switch over, but it doesn't sound like that's close to the case, at least currently. too bad.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

That's pretty funny coming from the biggest hipster wannabe on this board. PS, you're welcome to look through my comment history .

If i gave a sh*t I would, but I don't enjoy the pizza.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 17:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If their pasta is too expensive, enough people won't buy it. They'll price adjust or go out of business.

The pricing will correct itself, or it won't. If it doesn't, it means that it's not "over-priced".

Posted on: 2014/11/14 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

That's pretty funny coming from the biggest hipster wannabe on this board. PS, you're welcome to look through my comment history for anything deriding 99 cent stores. I wouldn't waste much time, because you won't find any.

I never. ever. support anything i feel is overpriced. Feel free to look back on my comments regarding orale, ibby's, etc.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I liked what I bought and am willing to give them a little time to get on their feet. I bought a quarter pound of the short rib ravioli for $5. With a side of vegetables, this was both dinner for one and then breakfast. I definitely got my money's worth.

It was not the best thing I've ever had, but I enjoyed it. I will try the Butternut squash the next time my husband has a late meeting.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 15:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

So it is unrealistic to expect a reasonable price- realizing that "reasonable" is a personal thing? I think that as options become more available in the downtown area consumers should speak up and provide feedback to local businesses- this place just opened so it's not too late to adjust. There are many places (e.g. Roman Nose) that offer great food for a fair price (again fair- depending on your budget). They have half of the equation correct which is a great starting point.

This place's prices are WAY out of wack- like 99 cent stores but on the opposite extreme.

DTJC is changing fast. Prices are not going to get cheaper or fairer. Except it, this place is just not within your budget.

Agreed that downtown is changing and fast. However, I have been here long enough to know that it is not Manhattan and won?t be anytime soon (regardless of how fast things change). I do think individuals can shape what the neighborhood looks like- including willingness to support local businesses. For me, that means charging a fair, not what I perceive to be an insane, price. Quality sells- and I?m willing to pay a premium for that, but not an insane amount. This is clearly not my price point/in my budget. I have given my feedback to them, so as I said will not be back. Whether others will do so remains to be seen. I thought this was just me, but apparently there are others that feel similarly. I don?t think it?s fair to extrapolate price-strategy to all of downtown as being posers. But I guess who cares what?s fair- it?s all in the eye of the beholder.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

So it is unrealistic to expect a reasonable price- realizing that "reasonable" is a personal thing? I think that as options become more available in the downtown area consumers should speak up and provide feedback to local businesses- this place just opened so it's not too late to adjust. There are many places (e.g. Roman Nose) that offer great food for a fair price (again fair- depending on your budget). They have half of the equation correct which is a great starting point.

This place's prices are WAY out of wack- like 99 cent stores but on the opposite extreme.

DTJC is changing fast. Prices are not going to get cheaper or fairer. Except it, this place is just not within your budget.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 14:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/14 14:38

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017