Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Powerhouse Lounge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Has anyone walked past this sad excuse for a bar/loungel lately? Yes, I realize it's closed and rightfully so but shoudn't the owners have to keep the outside clean and free of garbage? it's such a damn eyesore.

Just walked past this place about 20 minutes ago and there was a lot of activity. Tables, chairs and other things had been moved around, and some cleaning seems to have taken place. Not sure what it all means, but figured some would be interested to hear.

Posted on: 2015/12/4 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone walked past this sad excuse for a bar/loungel lately? Yes, I realize it's closed and rightfully so but shoudn't the owners have to keep the outside clean and free of garbage? it's such a damn eyesore.

Posted on: 2015/11/10 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
This place has been closed for months. Wonder if they will try another misguided reboot.

My understanding is that the place is going to be reborn as a "beer garden".

Hmm, I feel like we're pretty well covered with the beer garden thing between Zeppelin and Taphaus. But if it's actually a well executed beer garden, well that could be something. I honestly think anything is better than sports bar/club/office drone happy hour/sushi special/bar and grill which is what is was most recently.

I mean, the problem has always been that the food was atrocious (oh, and that they were a bunch of racist assholes back in the day, but businesses have succeeded despite that). If they bring in someone who knows how to actually cook and do decent German food and beer, it seems like the space would probably be pretty ideal for that sort of thing.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
This place has been closed for months. Wonder if they will try another misguided reboot.

Hmm, I feel like we're pretty well covered with the beer garden thing between Zeppelin and Taphaus. But if it's actually a well executed beer garden, well that could be something. I honestly think anything is better than sports bar/club/office drone happy hour/sushi special/bar and grill which is what is was most recently.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I miss Albert's! good times!!!!

Posted on: 2015/11/4 1:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Always thought the space would make for a good brewery...or a live music spot. Albert's was more of a club and did Rascal's ever even open? Remember the signs up for years.

Posted on: 2015/11/4 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:

Posted on: 2015/11/4 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/11/4 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I think the place is a little too Broboken for JC... would probably do better closer to haborside.

Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Very strange - isn't the place exactly the same as it was when it was named Powerhouse Lounge? Disclaimer, I have never been inside but have walked by many times while big doors were wide open.

I wish something cool would open there. Could be a great place for live music or just a big destination/theme type of bar.

I've walked by there two Fridays in a row during peak happy hour time and the place is barely half full.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but there are people into that who live in Jersey City. I just don't think there is enough of them, at the moment, to support an establishment of this size.

Someone mentioned Lucky 7s in a post made last year. I'd say the largest difference is space. Lucky 7s is a fraction of the size as Powerhouse/6th Borough/Powerhouse. The number of people in the bar might actually be the same.

I don't hate Powerhouse. It's not a place for me to drink at, but I'm fine with what they're doing. Everyone deserves a place that suits their taste...

Posted on: 2015/3/17 13:05
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
also, there is much more competition

Posted on: 2015/3/17 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think the place is a little too Broboken for JC... would probably do better closer to haborside.

Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Very strange - isn't the place exactly the same as it was when it was named Powerhouse Lounge? Disclaimer, I have never been inside but have walked by many times while big doors were wide open.

I wish something cool would open there. Could be a great place for live music or just a big destination/theme type of bar.

I've walked by there two Fridays in a row during peak happy hour time and the place is barely half full.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/17 5:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/3/17 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Walked past this joint tonight (under its current guise as 6th Borough) and there are signs up saying "Powerhouse Lounge is coming back! Reopening St. Patrick's Day!"

Anyone know what's happening here? Not that I'm a patron: a corporate happy hour Tuesday with all you can eat sushi is not really my scene...

Posted on: 2015/3/17 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Just saw outside as I drove by. It's going to be called sixth borough. Sorry if anyone else already posted that.

It's official. The Hobokenization of JC has officially commenced. This place had such potential.

But alas, this too shall close one day.

How do you know, if you haven't gone inside? I haven't been there since changes were made, so I can't judge it yet.

FYI - it's my understand that it's still mostly the same ownership group. I know it was posted earlier here that powerhouse was sold to the Ohara's owner. In reality, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, since it's common to have many investors/owners.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Just saw outside as I drove by. It's going to be called sixth borough. Sorry if anyone else already posted that.

It's official. The Hobokenization of JC has officially commenced. This place had such potential.

But alas, this too shall close one day.

Posted on: 2014/3/30 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Their pricing helps.

Posted on: 2014/3/21 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is basically every demographic in JC, but not necessarily enough scale to support a whole business around a certain demographic. Which is why Powerhouse Lounge is almost always 2/3 empty. It just misses the mark.

In a square mile (DTJC) starved of true bars, to have any bar empty is a sign that the place misses the mark.

Why does Lucky 7's draw a great crowd 6 nights a week? Because they are hitting the mark, and have created a vibe that people desire to immerse themselves in while they drink beer.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I thought Powerhouse was OK- I'm not saying it was a great business model- but I think people who think there is no demographic there for that kind of place in JC are mistaken. Or that there is no sports bar demographic.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
popped in there on my way home to use the can. it looks nice, and will be a good place to watch the games at it seems, but it just seems... out of place.

it belongs in exchange place or even a couple blocks closer to grove street, where it's got busy foot traffic. it belongs in harborside or in paulus hook next to the light rail. that's my feel on it anyhow.

it just seems to not match the identity of the area at all, and given how people were in there - 8:15 on a Wednesday eve and a place with an occupancy of what... 70? had 3 patrons - i wonder if that place has a future.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Even if you may consider it "douchey", cities that are truly great will appear to a wide demographic. This is why NYC is the way it is. People in a bar on one side of the street would never go to a bar on the other side. There are "douchey" places, hipster places, gay places, ethnic places, happy hour places, etc.

If Jersey City wants to be a truly diverse place it cannot cater to one demographic. Unfortunately right now IMO there are too many hipster places and then the other places have trepidation about defying the stroller set. .

My problem with Powerhouse is that it won't commit to doing one thing, and doing it well. If they wanted to make it a nightclub, then fine - put in club lighting, a DJ booth, platforms for dancers, and have bottle service. I'll never go there but plenty of other people will. But don't pull this "Sports bar! Sushi bar! Brick oven pizza! Lounge! Corporate Happy Hour!" bullshit where you try to be everything to everyone. It makes me feel like they think I'm stupid - like if they have sushi they're going to get some % of the "sushi crowd" but if they also thrown in sports bar, lounge, etc. they'll get those crowds too - but in reality I don't want to sit down to eat some sushi with sports fans yelling at a TV next to me. Or with club music thumping and people fist bumping. There are a limited number of "fusions" that work, i.e. Barcade, but they have 2 elements (video games and craft beer) not five.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Even if you may consider it "douchey", cities that are truly great will appear to a wide demographic. This is why NYC is the way it is. People in a bar on one side of the street would never go to a bar on the other side. There are "douchey" places, hipster places, gay places, ethnic places, happy hour places, etc.

If Jersey City wants to be a truly diverse place it cannot cater to one demographic. Unfortunately right now IMO there are too many hipster places and then the other places have trepidation about defying the stroller set.

A sports bar is going to attract "frat" types...and yes there are those types in JC I see them all the time around town. Their money is just as green and we might as well keep it here rather than send it to Hoboken or NYC.

I think we're actually all in agreement here. A few mainstream sports bars would actually diversify the options. But it comes down to the execution, and unfortunately, it fell flat for me the other night.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

If Jersey City wants to be a truly diverse place it cannot cater to one demographic. Unfortunately right now IMO there are too many hipster places and then the other places have trepidation about defying the stroller set.

A sports bar is going to attract "frat" types...and yes there are those types in JC I see them all the time around town. Their money is just as green and we might as well keep it here rather than send it to Hoboken or NYC.

NO!! We need to keep building bars till we get it right!!! You know...lots of micro-beers and what's that meat called and, you know, that video game with the karate alien and quiz night but maybe one for younger patrons and one for old-timers who remember more stuff and seating for families but over there in the side room and.................

Posted on: 2014/3/19 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/19 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know all the nuances of the laws permitting performances, but that spot used to be Rascal's Comedy Club and I believe that means it had an entertainment license.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The old "The grass is always greener/beer is always colder" scenario. They will never build the perfect bar and so people constantly rant and complain and migrate from new bar to new bar seeking the Holy Grail. Maybe you folks should buy a house in the suburbs and make a bar in your basements. It can be your ideal place and it would be just you and your friends.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 15:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
RU, I agree that Jersey City is severely lacking in number of places to hang out. The lack of bars is extremely noticeable. But I think why people bemoan places like Powerhouse Lounge is that places like that, they just kind of...miss the mark. Which is why they are empty all of the time.

Powerhouse is going for some sort of a strange loungey/sports bar/sushi vibe, which tends to attract some pretty douchey types. Thankfully, Jersey City doesn't have that many of those types of people. So if you walk past Powerhouse Lounge, you see an awkward scattered mix of after work people wearing business casual attire.

I think in 2014, downtown Jersey City residents are more particular with what they want. Something unique, something interesting. Third & Vine seems like it hits the mark.

Exactly. In fact, I gave the place the benefit of the doubt last night, and checked it out. And as you allude to, it was just kinda... blah.

It's far from a "sports bar." Still a weird vibe overall, from the decor to the lighting to the TVs (which all have exposed wires hanging out from behind them) But if you like Justin Bieber on the stereo, an endless generic menu, and an old fashioned that tastes like pure club soda, I suggest you go back. I won't be any time soon.

They said they were still planning to change the name, but that might be the extent of the overhaul. I'll keep my eye on it, because I do agree with you RU - a fun sports bar could definitely work in JC.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
RU, I agree that Jersey City is severely lacking in number of places to hang out. The lack of bars is extremely noticeable. But I think why people bemoan places like Powerhouse Lounge is that places like that, they just kind of...miss the mark. Which is why they are empty all of the time.

Powerhouse is going for some sort of a strange loungey/sports bar/sushi vibe, which tends to attract some pretty douchey types. Thankfully, Jersey City doesn't have that many of those types of people. So if you walk past Powerhouse Lounge, you see an awkward scattered mix of after work people wearing business casual attire.

I think in 2014, downtown Jersey City residents are more particular with what they want. Something unique, something interesting. Third & Vine seems like it hits the mark.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Oh no beer and drinking and sports. God forbid anyone not a organic hipster Williamsburg type or a person who goes to bed at 9PM moves to Jersey City, it will be bedlam!

Then you wonder why that Super Bowl article decried the amount of destinations in JC.

JC residents are forced to NYC and Hoboken with a few exceptions, like beer garden, if they are social singles looking to grab a drink and meet like minded people. That is terrible.

Young people keep places vibrant. NYC isn't called the city that never sleeps because its residents ponder beer consumption and payment of athletes.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Well what bust the Tilted Kilt turned out to be...

Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Quote:

Nori wrote:
I'm not confused. I get sp2sx's point.

Though I dont think adding tv's turns a bar into a frat house

I agree, and don't think the Powerhouse, or any bar, is on its way to becoming a frat house. Hoboken has developed its culture because of a) the large amount of young, post-college New Jerseyans who live there and are all connected Kevin Bacon style b) the out-of-towners who flock their on Fridays and Saturdays in a friend's car or on the train.

That crowd does not constitute a large portion of Downtown JC nightlife (except for maybe the beer garden on random nights). That's why I think that some new sports bars could be a welcome change so long as they have the right vibe.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 2:54

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017