Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Did You Know Your Taxes Went Up Again Today???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
An abatement results in a inflated sale price as opposed to a non abated property. The only clear benefit is for the developer, the person who buy has a higher mortgage with many more payment years in time of job insecurity. The rest of the taxpayers take the slab when things happen. Not giving abatements is the way to "raise tax" on the developer, but more generally to make sure that residents are treated first and equally.

So to come back to the pilots, if the county and schools are screwed why no legal action? It is not clear that the most recent abatements have resulted in more income for the city as opposed to non-abated properties, if that's the argument used to justify such contracts against the equal protection clause. Even if it does, I still would like someone to point to me how part of that extra income is still distributed to the schools and county.

To come back to the Christie argument, I agree, all the more reason to elect independents with strong background in law and accounting. It seems the best way to ensure fairness - when the city default and many contracts are cancelled.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Perhaps Christie will propose a law to outlaw abatements unless citizens agree to this.

I agree that abatements are a gross violation of "equal protection." They are subsidies to the richest segment of the population from the poorest.

But what in Christie's makeup or past history would EVER lead you to believe he will institute any measures to raise the taxes on large developers?

Posted on: 2010/7/10 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully if 2% cap on increases in property taxes becomes law that should slow down the rise in tax increases.

I have always thought that the tax abatements were egalized theft from the county/education system. Perhaps Christie will propose a law to outlaw abatements unless citizens agree to this.

Of course cities nees revene, so i think he should raise the cigarette and alcohol taxes. Perhaps issue tax permits permitting bars to stay open until 5am for an additional fee, sell vanity license plates, institute peak/off peak pricing on the turnpike, etc.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The budget is short of 40 millions, debt service is 60 millions, and yet they raise taxes again after a few months to gain another 2 millions. This does selective harm against 2/3 of the taxpayers while 1/3 are sheltered via pilots etc, and do little for the budget situation.

Many more people will hurt, many people will decide to leave, or to walk away from their home and payment to the city. This can accelerate things. In a situation of incoming tax base collapse, the town might benefit from preemptive default on some of its bonds - say Schundler bond for ex. This generate serious issues of course but would force the city to create a real budget plan. It might also reset the clock on many entitlements and special deals.

On the selective taxation issue, I am still amazed at hows a city can deny the schools and county of their share of property taxes through these pilots programs. Either there is something I don't comprehend in the way these pilots are structured, or there is a case for a lawsuit I would not mind being part of, as a taxpayer who does not belong to this self-serving plutocracy.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed, it's a nice place to rent but I wouldn't want to buy here. Oh right, I already did. LEARN from other people's mistakes!

Posted on: 2010/7/10 2:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 16:10
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is great for its location and convenience to NYC and my job but I would never buy here. I've lived in JC for 12 years in a rent stabilized apartment and that's good enough for me. If any friends ask about buying here I tell them renting is the way to go so they can't get directly held up by the thieving city council. Better to let others pay for all of the corruption in this city.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City has only had it's 12th homicide so far and we are halfway through this hot summer -- so it has a long way to go to Newark's average of about 100

12 Homicides? Is this true? That seems awfully low.

School has been out for two weeks. I wouldn't call that halfway. Newark hasn't had 80 murders in the past two years and just went an entire month with none. Not sure why you brought that up to begin with. Newark didn't raise your taxes.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/7/7 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
Sorry to inform you of this Taggart but I think, I could be wrong, Jersey City just might pass Newark with the murder rate.

Jersey City has only had it's 12th homicide so far and we are halfway through this hot summer -- so it has a long way to go to Newark's average of about 100

Posted on: 2010/7/7 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
This must be Team Healy's version of - Change You Can See....see your taxes go up....see Jersey City in more debt....see more violent crimes...see less and less services across the city.
They never said it would be positive change.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 13:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/18 21:07
Group:
Registered Users
You got to be kidding me. These people have to go.Pieces of crap

Posted on: 2010/7/3 10:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to inform you of this Taggart but I think, I could be wrong, Jersey City just might pass Newark with the murder rate.

Posted on: 2010/7/3 7:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
+1! Finally some common sense in this thread.

The recall efforts are unrealistic at best and constitute denial at worst of the only available and effective solution: political engagement to elect others not part of the HCDO for every municipal council person not pulling their weight (seems most except for Fulop) AND work to elect new BOE candidates at every opportunity AND a new Mayor in 2013. Anything short of pursuing all of the above is just wasted effort, background noise imo.

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

riazw wrote:
Surprised... NO WAY... they knew it is coming. Many of us told them to change the way they operate, guess what, they did very very little. The administration does NOT care, the council does NOT care, the people who vote do NOT care & many do NOT care to VOTE. They throw bond-money projects to unions, so that they can stay in power. Unions elect these guys not tax payer. This is business as usual, save energy, find a second job like how they all have, just PAY the taxes !!! The message is very CLEAR. There is no point in CRYING. No one cares in this city.. SIMPLE!!!

It's a long haul. Things don't change over night. Showing up and screaming for a couple of months, while good for the soul, isn't likely to get much done - particularly with the current group in place. You are right in one regard: the current administration doesn't care. Doesn't mean the next one has to be as disengaged.

Yes, the unions pump obscene amounts of money into our local elections - many hundred thousand dollars into the last municipal cycle. The vast majority of that money was given to the HCDO. Find a candidate who can win who isn't with the HCDO and you have a shot at breaking that cycle.

Posted on: 2010/7/3 3:16
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
What TAX PAYERs need to understand is:

This year, Healy's administration is talking about $56million hole;

Next Year, it is going to be $10 million more that gets passed by JCBOE (State school tax levy) + new bond payments.. thus around $70-$75 million hole.

The following year, it is another $10 million from JCBOE + bond payments... $85-90 million hole.

Don't forget that other AUTONOMOUS agencies that Jersey City has like MUA, already increased around 40% in Sewer charges... they are on their own track...

Thus, the administration needs to look to cut $90m today not $56m. Assume, they fix $56m hole today, they need to fix another $15-20m hole next year and then another $15-20m hole the following year.

This is the time that residents must come up with suggestions to the City to fix $90m hole this year not $56m hole... Call your Council person listen to their suggestion and offer help in case you have expertise !!!

Posted on: 2010/7/3 2:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/21 18:47
Group:
Banned
Why is everyone soooo angry?
YOU all didn't see this coming?

Let's see, now,..... WHY, oh WHY are we, as a nation, facing economic collapse?

WHAT is the gov't spending wasted tax dollars on that could be SLASHED in half...saving BILLIONS every year?

And didnt anyone see the good news in that article?

"...said there are plans for furloughs and layoffs."

YAY! Keep wasting our national and local taxes! MORE CUTS & LAYOFFS! MORE CRIME!

How's that 'CHANGE' going for you all?

Posted on: 2010/7/2 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
Sure lets listen to Vega, layoff cops and firemen. So when the crime rate gets completely out of control because of all the jobless people commiting even more crimes there aren't enough cops out there. Also when the summer months you can't get an ambulance fast enough because they are busy the firemen respond to help until the ambulance gets there we won't have them either.

It is unfortunate people but taxes are going to have to go up. Lets face it we don't pay alot in Jersey City as compared to other cities. This is apart of the metro area, I know everyone here that has a multifamily house and rents out apartments loves to use that term when telling people what they want for rent. It works in your favor then.

I'm sorry but that is a completely faulty argument. We don't pay much compared to the rest of NJ. But NJ has the highest taxes to begin with. That is akin to saying - who cares if we have armed robbery in Jersey City, it isn't as bad as the murder in Newark, so we should be happy. Let's look at what fiscally responsible states and municipalities are doing - and let's not limit it to NJ - that's just insane.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
so does this mean that all these $1mm rowhouses are going to see taxes go up $7200? Somehow this seems like a lot given that most already pay $12k give or take in property taxes.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City council told hole in next budget is $56 million, then passes levy that will raise taxes

Friday, July 02, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The City of Jersey City is in a $56 million hole.

This came to light Wednesday as City Council members adopted a $200 million tax levy so third-and-fourth quarter tax bills can be sent out. The new tax levy represents a $15 million hike from the fiscal year that ended Wednesday, city officials said.

And the tax levy hike is going to have taxpayers digging deeper into their wallets.

Recently hired Business Administrator John Kelly told council members the levy hike would translate to a $720 increase - last calendar year compared to this one - for owners of properties assessed at $100,000. This includes county, schools, and municipal taxes, he said.

In a 5-3 vote, the City Council adopted the $200 million tax levy for the remainder of 2010 - $20 million less than what the administration was seeking.

"The size of government is too big and we're serious about reducing it," Councilman at large Mariano Vega said.

Kelly told the council the city is facing the $56 million gap in part because of a $30 million anticipated loss in state aid. He said Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy has directed departments to cut back.

"There's currently a large mismatch in budgeting and expenses," Kelly said.

Council members Viola Richardson, Nidia Lopez and David Donnelly voted against the levy, while Council President Peter Brennan and council members Bill Gaughan, Willie Flood, Michael Sottolano and Vega supported it. Councilman Steven Fulop was absent.

Sottolano, a member of the council budget committee, said there are plans for furloughs and layoffs.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 12:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
Sure lets listen to Vega, layoff cops and firemen. So when the crime rate gets completely out of control because of all the jobless people commiting even more crimes there aren't enough cops out there. Also when the summer months you can't get an ambulance fast enough because they are busy the firemen respond to help until the ambulance gets there we won't have them either.

It is unfortunate people but taxes are going to have to go up. Lets face it we don't pay alot in Jersey City as compared to other cities. This is apart of the metro area, I know everyone here that has a multifamily house and rents out apartments loves to use that term when telling people what they want for rent. It works in your favor then.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
It's amazing to see people yell and scream, a team of Jersey Residents are working towards a recall and asked for volunteers toward build recall committees across Jersey City and what did people do, the sat on their ass rather than get involved. So are people ready to take action or just sit behind their keyboards. Get involved in the recall movement.

Quote:

Wednesday, June 09, 2010, 4:55 PM
Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City residents have filed a notice in an attempt to recall Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy.
A group of Jersey City residents have began an effort to recall Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy and his City Council slate.
A three-person recall committee ? comprised of residents John Lynch, Riaz Wahid and Martha Larkins ? sent a certified letter to the City Clerk?s office Friday.

Lynch said the letter was signed for. City Clerk Robert Byrne said today he has not personally seen it yet.
Byrne must review the recall committee?s notice of intent and approve it before the committee can begin collecting signatures. Those petitions would require signatures of 25 percent of the registered voters in the city.
The committee also submitted notice to recall at-large City Council members Peter Brennan, Mariano Vega and Willie Flood and intends to go after ward seats as well.

The group is soliciting volunteers to create committees to launch recall efforts against Ward A Councilman Michael Sottolano, Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez, Ward D Councilman Bill Gaughan and Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson.

Those committees must be comprised of registered voters living in the ward.

The recall committee has been soliciting volunteers on local website JCList.

Posted on: 6/9 22:28

Posted on: 2010/7/2 3:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What they are doing here is:

Supposedly, if you throw a frog into a pot of boiling water it will jump out but, if you put a frog into water and gradually heat it up to a boil, it will stay in the pot and boil to death. This is a clear direction for future bankruptcy !!!

Posted on: 2010/7/2 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

riazw wrote:
Surprised... NO WAY... they knew it is coming. Many of us told them to change the way they operate, guess what, they did very very little. The administration does NOT care, the council does NOT care, the people who vote do NOT care & many do NOT care to VOTE. They throw bond-money projects to unions, so that they can stay in power. Unions elect these guys not tax payer. This is business as usual, save energy, find a second job like how they all have, just PAY the taxes !!! The message is very CLEAR. There is no point in CRYING. No one cares in this city.. SIMPLE!!!

It's a long haul. Things don't change over night. Showing up and screaming for a couple of months, while good for the soul, isn't likely to get much done - particularly with the current group in place. You are right in one regard: the current administration doesn't care. Doesn't mean the next one has to be as disengaged.

Yes, the unions pump obscene amounts of money into our local elections - many hundred thousand dollars into the last municipal cycle. The vast majority of that money was given to the HCDO. Find a candidate who can win who isn't with the HCDO and you have a shot at breaking that cycle.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 2:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/7/2 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
are you saying $700 increase per $100000 assessed value in addition to the $700 increase we already had this year ?

Posted on: 2010/7/2 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
This is FREAKING insane. Where is the 2011 budget?

And why must they wait for a plan till September?

Start the layoff NOW. Cut spending NOW.

And when the heck is Vega going to trial? It's been almost a year and this criminal is allowed to vote for more taxes.

WTF

Not happy.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I am more shocked at how much is being spent om debt service?

Posted on: 2010/7/1 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Neighbors 1 already have their house up for sale due to the last increase. Neighbors 2, 3 & 4 told me they don't see the value for their taxes so they may as well move to the burbs where the schools are good. People moving due to high taxes coupled with miserable school system is going to do wonders (in a bad way) for property values...this could really lead to a bad, bad downhill spiral...

Posted on: 2010/7/1 21:12

Did You Know Your Taxes Went Up Again Today???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
This is INSANE!!! We are probably many months away from a budget being introduced (although the new fiscal year began today) and yet they know enough to raise taxes now??? Convenient that they waited until the cover of a morning meeting to do this when they could have done it at last Wednesday evening when there were sixty or seventy people there. Gutless cowards.

Jersey City council adopts temporary budget, levy that raise taxes
Published: Thursday, July 01, 2010, 2:44 PM
Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal

The average Jersey City homeowner can expect to pay $720 more in taxes this year despite the City Council striking a lower tax levy than originally proposed.

The City Council adopted a $200 million preliminary municipal tax levy during a meeting this morning. The administration sought $220 million, but Councilman Michael Sottolano said it was too high and made a motion to reduce it.

Sottolano, a member of the council?s Budget Committee, said no one likes to raise taxes and furloughs and layoffs are to be expected.

?Hopefully we can come up with a reasonable solution to have the impact on our taxpayers as minimal as possible,? he said.

Business Administrator John Kelly warned that the city is facing a $56 million budget deficit, $30 million of which is he attributed to state aid cuts.

?There?s currently a large mismatch in budgeting and expenses,? he said.

But City Council members said they wanted to send a message to the administration that taxes can?t keep increasing. Kelly said he got the message.

?You are laying out the framework and the policy to shrink the size of government,? he said. ?It will be a clear message.?

Sottolano?s proposed levy, which passed 5 to 3, is $15 million over the last fiscal year?s.
Councilwoman Viola Richardson and Nidia Lopez voted against the levy along with Councilman David Donnelly. Councilman Steven Fulop was absent.

Richardson asked how the levy would impact taxpayers and Kelly said it would increase $720 for a home assessed at $100,000.

?I think we?ve been playing around long enough and we need to cut where we need to cut and stop talking about these little people we?re laying off, $2 million that doesn?t count,? Richardson said. ?We need to talk about doing some real serious things in our budget and it?s going to be things that are unacceptable to a lot of people.?

The city laid-off 278 seasonal and provisional employees in February, which saved about $2 million. With the exception of police and firefighters city employees took 12 unpaid furlough days between December and June.

Councilman Mariano Vega voted for the levy saying he didn?t want to see city government shut down, a possibility if the measure didn?t pass. But he warned that $200 million is high and the city should brace for cuts.

?The size of government is too big and we?re serious about reducing it,? he said.
Vega warned that police and fire will not be immune as they were from the furloughs last year.

?We?ll have to have a reduction in force,? he said.

Councilman Bill Gaughan, a Budget Committee member, asked the administration to develop a plan by September.

Council President Peter Brennan who is also on the committee, said the Budget Committee would be meeting within two weeks.

?We have some major, major issues ahead of us,? he said. ?The administration knows this, they knew this six months ago and here we are. We?re going to be known as the tax council. I?m not happy about this.?

The council also adopted a 2011 temporary budget in a 6 to 2 vote, allocating $61.5 million for debt service and $106.6 million for operating expenses.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 20:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017