Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Bad Meats at A&P?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've always gotten either ribeye or filet mignon(when I splurge) on the glass enclosure and they've always been fresh. Been shopping there for a good 4-5 years. I've never bought anything on the pre-packaged, the ones in the butcher's always looked better.

I think the ground beef is always set to expire the same day - as they grind it every day and supposed to get rid of the ones that did not sell that day.

Yeah the gentlemen in the fish section is great - he's been there for 20+ years. Try the giant sea scallops - it's usually frozen so you'll have to thaw it for a couple of hours, they're fantastic!

Posted on: 2009/2/23 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Quote:

And, by the way, there are no federal regulations regarding sell-by or best-by dates for any foods except baby food and formula. This is a state or county issue; and only 20 states have such requirements.

Thanks for pointing that out. Now I can buy things that are a week past the useless date printed on the meats, dairy etc and not really worry about it.

Should we not still be aware and/or concerned if we are buying something past the due date? I mean, when it's something that when spoiled can cause food poisoning...why take the chance past a due date? Personally, I'll never do it.

BTW, we got food poisoning over the weekend...we ate pork at a friend's house. Don't know where they got the meat from.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

And, by the way, there are no federal regulations regarding sell-by or best-by dates for any foods except baby food and formula. This is a state or county issue; and only 20 states have such requirements.

Thanks for pointing that out. Now I can buy things that are a week past the useless date printed on the meats, dairy etc and not really worry about it.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 1:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/5 3:42
Group:
Banned
Lol...I was just at A&P, came home, and read this thread. The couple in the checkout line ahead of me had two beef items and when the man put them on the conveyor (i guess that is what you call it) he decided to smell the meat. He then conferred with his wife and apparently the beef smelled as if it were bad. I will definitely pay closer attention to the Sell By labels...

Posted on: 2009/2/23 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:
Morton Williams IS Shop-Rite. Go and look at the "generic" brands... they are ALL Shop Rite. Walk a few blocks to 6th street, deal with some lines and you'll get all the same stuff, and 5 times the selection for about 30% cheaper. Morton Williams is a complete scam.

I think Morton Williams started this thread.

10 years and never a problem at that A&P.

Also, too many people moving here who seem to feel their day is wasted unless they can turn their noses up at something.

Damn, icecube or icechute or ICE-T or whatever...you CAUGHT ME!!!!! I am a staff member of another supermarket chain, there's no way I'm a normal citizen of Jersey City just curious about a circumstance and using the community thread to meat up (pun intended) with my fellow residents and ask a question....I must be a competitor and I planned this thread during my coffee break. Man, you are GOOD! Damn it all, I just wasted 30 seconds typing this thread to you. YOU ARE SO RIGHT! Gee that melts my ice cubes. And good for you...10 years at that A&P. I don't hold a candle to your 10 years with my 7 and I know how important it is to state how long someone's lived in this community. Those dang newbies are always trying to make a fuss by trying to make quality of life a little better like, dare I say it - fresh meats for all in Jersey City! Ouch. That's a carazyyyyyy thought! You deserve to take on the thread, you got 3 years on me. Ooops, my coffee break is over....back to Aisle 420 for clean up of spilled milk.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Icechute I doubt that Morton Williams began this thread. I've been to the A&P and am amazed that the meats are on sale on and past the date on the product. But then again I work at Wegmans where everything is fresh and this is never tolerated. In fact Wegmans goes 'past' experation dates - on breads for example. We pull items a few days before the date stamped on products. We learn this during our extensive training that Danny Wegman wants products fresh while they remain in one's home for a few days after purchase. Of course all supermarkets cannot be Wegmans.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Morton Williams IS Shop-Rite. Go and look at the "generic" brands... they are ALL Shop Rite. Walk a few blocks to 6th street, deal with some lines and you'll get all the same stuff, and 5 times the selection for about 30% cheaper. Morton Williams is a complete scam.

No, it isn't. You've been yammering about this since the store opened and you are still wrong. Morton Williams buys some "generic" products (labeled "Shop-Rite") from Wakefern Foods, the parent company of Shop-Rite, which also supplies Gristede's in the city. Morton Williams is not owned by either Shop-Rite or Wakefern.

As far as products being displayed at or after their sell-by or best-by dates, I've encountered this in almost every grocery store I've ever visited. Look at the dates before you buy. Simple. And I have always found store management to be grateful when I pointed out expired products.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I think Morton Williams started this thread.

10 years and never a problem at that A&P.

Also, too many people moving here who seem to feel their day is wasted unless they can turn their noses up at something.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/2/20 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I love the prices for meat at the A&P yet have noticed that they are sometimes close to their expiration dates. I assume that the reason, for example, that chicken breasts can be had for $1.99 or less is that they have to sell them immediately. The mandated sell date isn't the same as the date that the food is spoiled or even lower quality (see below). I'm happy to pick up a week's worth of meat at a discount and cook/freeze it with no concerns about my health. I really like the A&P and how other groceries are often on sale compared to other JC markets.

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/health/az1068.html

Posted on: 2009/2/20 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The Jersey City Shop Rite has rotting produce for sale, not to mention absurdly long lines, so I wouldn't recommend shopping their either.

I've shopped there pretty much every week for the past 8 years and have yet to purchase bad meat or vegetables from them.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Don't health and safety regulations require meat to not be old? Call me naive but isn't this worthy of an inspection or penalty if they are selling old meats?

I imagine the FDA monitors this -- it's unhealthy and unsanitary and just plain nasty.

Are we talking about the image on post 32, because I'm old and I'm not going to allow the FDA to inspect my meat.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 1:48
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Don't health and safety regulations require meat to not be old? Call me naive but isn't this worthy of an inspection or penalty if they are selling old meats?

I imagine the FDA monitors this -- it's unhealthy and unsanitary and just plain nasty. Not to mention dishonest.

There was a news story a couple of weeks ago where a task force visited a bunch of metro-area supermarkets to check expiration dates on various products. I remember a particular Whole Foods (but can't remember which one -- it wasn't Edgewater) was on the list of stores carrying dated stuff. Y'all know how much that bummed me out.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/2/19 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Women always complain about good and bad meat !

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/2/19 22:22
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
The A&P has been pulling that trick for at least 30 years. My Grandmother had to return chickens to the A&P in Bayonne in the 1970's (closed). The A&P in Journal Square was selling old expired meat in the late 70's, early 80's (closed - thank God). Now you have to watch out for the expired goods being sold in Pathmark since A&P took that over - especially expired soda (which I didn't buy - but I did complain to the company). I did get stuck with expired fish sticks though. Sigh.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I am so excited about Moloney's. We moved from Brooklyn and had a family run butcher shop. 40 years. I love the fact I can chose my thickness. Now is it a small place or large? How long have they been open? I would rather visit a place such as this and support a small business than a large chain.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ilikeglass wrote:
Sorry to hear about everyone's trouble at A & P, I thought tricks like that were only in ghetto markets...

Umm...

Posted on: 2009/2/19 21:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
Don't be afraid of the meat market, Maloney's is awesome, always fresh, very friendly & service oriented, the only place where I will buy ground beef.

When I buy ground beef in other supermarkets, I will pick a piece of sirloin and ask them to grind it, that way you know it all comes from the same piece of beef, and that its good (and lean).

Sorry to hear about everyone's trouble at A & P, I thought tricks like that were only in ghetto markets...

Posted on: 2009/2/19 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/2/19 21:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
a few weeks ago i bought some smoked turkey legs from a&p and i didn't realize until i got home that they were two days past the expiration date. granted, i know it's my fault for not checking the label, but that meat should not have even been out for sale!

Posted on: 2009/2/19 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:

I definitely think there are probably as many good incidents as bad. But the quality seems to be suffering. I'll try Morton Williams, is there parking?

There is free parking in the garage behind MW make sure the checkout clerk validates your parking stub.

The problem with Morton Williams is that everything there is way more expensive than the other grocery stores. A half gallon of milk was at least $1 more than A&P or Shoprite.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I wonder if you are right about the private contract, because I can't believe that one department would be so off the mark service and quality wise when the other department's seem good. I've had that pepper haired guy help once, he was so overwhelmed juggling both meat and fish and it was crazy as it was Super Bowl and they were totally understaffed...it was only him and just when they should be having more staff on to deal with the rush. He was nice to me but my spouse was waiting for ages to the point where when we asked for something else the guy was annoyed because he just couldn't juggle another thing. I liked him. I am curious now what the deal is.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:

I definitely think there are probably as many good incidents as bad. But the quality seems to be suffering. I'll try Morton Williams, is there parking?

There is free parking in the garage behind MW make sure the checkout clerk validates your parking stub.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
The salt and pepper haired guy at A&P is great. I think he does most of the fish. I am not positive, but the meat area may be contracted out to a separate company. I think that is why the service stinks and they don't care about the customer.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey City Shop Rite has rotting produce for sale, not to mention absurdly long lines, so I wouldn't recommend shopping their either.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
A year ago I bought some chicken - I splurged on the expensive organic kind. I got it home and I noticed that a new label had been very carefully placed over the old label. I peeled it off and saw that the original date was five days prior to the date on the new label. The chicken I bought was five days outdated.......sneaks. I'll never buy meat there again.

I'll stick with Shoprite. And I know a lot of people say that the people who work and shop in A&P are nicer than Shoprite, but I don't lsee it that way. Shoprite may not look as fancy or have some of the better cuts of meat, but I think the cashiers, deli staff, etc. are much nicer. If I want something very nice, I go to Morton Williams or schlepp out to Hoboken or Whole Foods.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I've never had any problem at A&P, actually we love going there vs Shoprite because all of the workers are very nice to us. The produce guy (I dont know his name, he is tall and on the younger side) always greets my children by their names every tiime we see him. I do make a point to check the expiration dates on meats, but I do that no matter what store I go to.

Although now that I think of it, the meat counter guy did make a comment about the fact that I could buy sausage prepackaged. I had to tell him that I only wanted 4 sausages, not six so I wanted it from the meat case. In any event, I make it a point to shop at A&P because it's always way more pleasant than Shoprite. The cashiers at Shoprite are rude and don't even help bag! The last time I was there the cashier started working on the next customer and I had to frantically shove my groceries in bags so that our stuff wouldn't get mixed. Grrrrr!

Posted on: 2009/2/19 18:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't you go to a real butcher shop instead of a supermarket? I'm not a meat eater but I've seen numerous people on here recommend Maloney's Meat Market on Newark Ave (near the Court House).

Posted on: 2009/2/19 18:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/1 23:25
From JSQ
Group:
Banned
shop rite has excellent meats

Posted on: 2009/2/19 18:01