Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Downtown: Newark and Barrow man was robbed by five teens
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/29 21:28
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
More police walking the beat. Downtown is so easy to patrol by foot and bike. Maybe get them those mall police devices to scoot around in. Mall Police Rule !

Posted on: 2008/10/13 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ihatethiscity wrote:
...either there has been this much violence in the city and I just haven't been tuned into it, or the violence is really starting to ramp up here...

I think it is very possible that you weren't "tuned into" everything that was going on -- the internet really makes it easy to now be up on every crime that happens.

I can't speak for every area but downtown feels vastly safer that it did 5 years ago - every year gets better and this past summer overall was the quietest ever.

And yeah it is ironic that I am writing this in a thread entitled...

Posted on: 2008/10/12 14:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/26 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
Enforce a curfew? No need to that, the city council just voted to put this area into a redevelopment zone...that should take care of this issue....right?

What the City shold do is put a moratorium on police retirements for a while. They keep talking about all these new recruits comign out of the police acadamy, but they don't tell you that just as many cops are retiring. I have lived in this city for 13 years and either there has been this much violence in the city and I just haven't been tuned into it, or the violence is really starting to ramp up here. I think it is the later. And we don't hear anything from our city leaders.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Not enough info regarding this story.

You could also say that the dude robbed had $1000 in drug money, 2 phones to make contacts and drug deals, false ID and passport to scam light-rail ticket cops. The passport might have been US anyway.
Or maybe he was delivering a fake passport and id docs to someone ?

What about a license or credit cards - everyone carries a watch what happen to these items ?

No matter which way you look at it, it all sounds like crap - crap reporting, crap police report and crap crime - were the ass-wipes white, black, hispanic or asian.
What should the general public be cautious of or look for when we walk past a group of teenagers?

Posted on: 2008/10/12 0:38
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by 2 men and 3 women in their late teens last night sitting on the stoops of Paulimer Place. They were running their mouths but I guess I didn't look like someone they would want to mess with. My "Spidey Sense" was defiently tingling as I walked by them as they made some comments. The whole time I was thinking about this thread. It wasn't the local people that hang on that corner so I was getting ready to throw down.

These kids think they are soo tough and try to "flex" on people to prove it. Seems like a waste of time to me. You never see the real tough guys until it's too late.

As to why I think the person that was robbed had a lot of cash, 2 cellphones and a passport... He was most likely a tourist from abroad. Some of our cellphones don't work overseas so I guess some of theirs don't work over here.

Posted on: 2008/10/11 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
I live across the street in the Rocket Building. On the night of the incident I was at my computer and heard screaming on Newark ave. Not too unusual so I didn't go look to see what was happening. About an hour later I did look out the window and at the intersection there was a police car with all the lights spinning and they stayed there for about an hour. If this was a hoax, it was a rather well orchestrated hoax.

I have to say that this neighborhood seems to be exhibiting two contradictory trends:

1. Increasingly affluent Hobokenesque couples (with strollers!) walking around like this is the west village or something

2. Increasingly hostile thugs who seem more and more desperate. I have never been harassed before in this neighborhood since moving here 4 years ago, but the thugs on newark/moes deli/grace church seem to be getting more ballsy and aggressive. I have a great view of newark and there have been 2 times this month I've heard screams and then looked outside to see people fleeing in all directions from Moe's deli. This didn't used to happen. The loud music was annoying but I wasn't seeing pedestrians being threatened.

A downturning economy affects all, but it hits the poor especially hard. This neighborhood is the most contradictory place I've ever lived. Suburbs or Hoboken is starting to feel like the better choice. But trust me I do love JC. I've met great friends here. But its such a bizarre place! I'd seriously miss Torico's ice cream, and my quick commute to Brick Haus.

The writer is correct.
It is very scary on Newark Ave at nite, and the long
dark lane of Erie St. could be renamed Eerie St.
That all-nite deli (Mo's) has been a major problem
since it opened years ago, and it is a miracle
that the police have never busted the place.
Surely it does not survive on selling a few
loosies and chewing gum.

It will get worse around here until
neighbors get together and call for a stop
to teenagers marauding at will thru
our hood, seeking plunder and
harm to our people.
The Grace Church "dance parties" are a prime
example of inviting crime into the nabe
and welcoming it with open arms under
the rubric of "doing good." More like
doing self-destruction.

It would take so little to return this
nabe to what it was back in the
seventies, all the yuppies and high
taxes notwithstanding. Just keep our
heads buried in the sand and it will
come about.

Posted on: 2008/10/11 17:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/9 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
I live across the street in the Rocket Building. On the night of the incident I was at my computer and heard screaming on Newark ave. Not too unusual so I didn't go look to see what was happening. About an hour later I did look out the window and at the intersection there was a police car with all the lights spinning and they stayed there for about an hour. If this was a hoax, it was a rather well orchestrated hoax.

I have to say that this neighborhood seems to be exhibiting two contradictory trends:

1. Increasingly affluent Hobokenesque couples (with strollers!) walking around like this is the west village or something

2. Increasingly hostile thugs who seem more and more desperate. I have never been harassed before in this neighborhood since moving here 4 years ago, but the thugs on newark/moes deli/grace church seem to be getting more ballsy and aggressive. I have a great view of newark and there have been 2 times this month I've heard screams and then looked outside to see people fleeing in all directions from Moe's deli. This didn't used to happen. The loud music was annoying but I wasn't seeing pedestrians being threatened.

A downturning economy affects all, but it hits the poor especially hard. This neighborhood is the most contradictory place I've ever lived. Suburbs or Hoboken is starting to feel like the better choice. But trust me I do love JC. I've met great friends here. But its such a bizarre place! I'd seriously miss Torico's ice cream, and my quick commute to Brick Haus.

Posted on: 2008/10/11 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
The combined intellect and insight on display in these last two posts is remarkable.

You two make a good pair.

Posted on: 2008/10/11 15:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/2 4:24
Group:
Registered Users
I'm with you. Passport, $1,000 in cash, 5 actors across the street from Police HQ, 11:30pm on a busy street??? I don't think so!

Posted on: 2008/10/11 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mugged by five in Downtown

A 39-year-old man was assaulted by a gang of five in a Downtown mugging Wednesday night, Jersey City police reports said.

The Bright Street resident told police he was at Newark Avenue and Barrow Street at 11:30 p.m., when he was punched and robbed by two men and three women in their late teens, reports said.

They fled with his jacket that had $1,000 in cash, two cell phones, and identification papers that included a passport, reports said.

CHARLES HACK

$1000 cash, 2 phones, id papers & passport plus jacket.
2 men & 3 women at 11.30pm - relatively busy location with 5 people running around

Sounds like crap to me, either an insurance job or some sort of ID accountability story - I'm surprised that the victim's tax documents didn't go missing in the jacket as well.

I need to know more, before I buy into this story.

Posted on: 2008/10/11 2:44
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: Downtown: Jersey and Barrow man was robbed by five teens
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caps wrote:
who carries this much cash around... ?

People who've spent too much time watching the anchor guy on CNBC saying he's taking his money out of the bank and putting it under a mattress . . .

Posted on: 2008/10/11 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Alot of you are shocked that people carry cash on them and it must be for bad intentions (ie drug dealing money laundering etc.) What you fail to realize is that many people do not have direct deposit or even have bank accounts.

I am a landlord and many times my tenants call me late at night to pick up the rents when the get home from work.

Its a pain and puts me in an vulnerable postition carrying around a few grand cash at night.

It also shed light on the reason why some of us need the right to carry concealed firearms more than others.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 22:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
I feel so bad for this guy. It sucks to lose that much money, and not to mention your passport. Those things are such a hassel to get renewed.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 21:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/29 21:28
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
That takes bullocks, about 1 block from the Police Station.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 18:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Remind me not to carry around my life savings in my back pocket

Posted on: 2008/10/10 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The cops have to start throwing these punks in jail. They need to come down hard with random friskings and lock these F'rs up.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JadedJC wrote: Hmmm. It is odd - makes me wonder if he was targeted somehow. Maybe he was followed out of one of those remittance places. If someone wires you money, you do need to show a bunch of ID. Then again, I don't think any of those places are open that late.
There is a Western Union place open until 11PM near there -- but if that is were the victim was coming from, it would seem that the gang to know he had money had to be tipped. AWAF ELECTRONICS 308 GROVE ST Jersey City, NJ 07302-2941 201-333-1414 Hours: 07:00 AM - 11:00 PM http://www.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB/ ... oad&pagename=agentLocator
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2008/10/10 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmm. It is odd - makes me wonder if he was targeted somehow. Maybe he was followed out of one of those remittance places. If someone wires you money, you do need to show a bunch of ID. Then again, I don't think any of those places are open that late.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
The passport is a bit unusual but the article says the victim is a "Bright Street resident' so I don't think he was visiting.

It seems that after a relatively calm summer, crime is picking up downtown.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Why aren't JC police enforcing curfew

They were in there late teens so the curfew probably wouldnt apply to them the curfew is for 16 and under. Also this happened at 11:30pm so even is they were 16 they would have just made curfew since it is at 11:30pm.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
who carries this much cash around... it seems like in all these beatings and robberies.. the perps get away with at least a few hundred $$

He might have been visiting from another country since it says he was carrying his passport and identification papers.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Why aren't JC police enforcing curfew

Posted on: 2008/10/10 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
who carries this much cash around... it seems like in all these beatings and robberies.. the perps get away with at least a few hundred $$

Posted on: 2008/10/10 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Why does it always seem to happen right around there? Why always at Barrow, Erie or Jersey around Newark? Why there?

My guess is they get people coming from the 24 hour store.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, these roving gangs of kids really have to be dealt with somehow -- "two men and three women in their late teens"

The poor guy who was robbed must be visiting - "They fled with his jacket that had $1,000 in cash, two cell phones, and identification papers that included a passport, reports said. "

Why does it always seem to happen right around there? Why always at Barrow, Erie or Jersey around Newark? Why there? Really I would like to know -- is it because of the light rail?

Posted on: 2008/10/10 13:43

Downtown: Newark and Barrow man was robbed by five teens
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Mugged by five in Downtown

A 39-year-old man was assaulted by a gang of five in a Downtown mugging Wednesday night, Jersey City police reports said.

The Bright Street resident told police he was at Newark Avenue and Barrow Street at 11:30 p.m., when he was punched and robbed by two men and three women in their late teens, reports said.

They fled with his jacket that had $1,000 in cash, two cell phones, and identification papers that included a passport, reports said.

CHARLES HACK

Posted on: 2008/10/10 13:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017