Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

LillianBustle, more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Not sure how this matters... so, yes, they theoretically operate
24/7, but the 35 minute time span between trains in the late evening is crazy. I have seen late evening trains packed as bad as morning rush hour trains.

It makes a HUGE difference. Even if the trains are packed and take a "whopping" 35 minutes to show up.

Try living somewhere like Boston, where the T shuts down between 1AM (!) and 5PM. I assume that's good for maintenance, but kinda sucks if you are out after 1AM.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
One of the biggest things they could do to alleviate some crowding, or at least lessen discomfort, is pass some kind of regulation that backpacks and messenger bags need to be off the shoulder in the train. When a few people with packed backpacks are in the car, it makes it difficult to get in or out, and it takes up space.

I'm a big believer in regulations, and I usually take off my backpack, even smaller backpacks sometimes.

However, codifying that as a regulation would be... kinda nuts. Will PAPD carry tape measures? How are they supposed to write tickets without further clogging up the system?

Although it's not perfectly effective, some sort of PR campaign is probably a better plan.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
and to think that christioe was even considering cutting back on PATH service. with a governor like him, no needs enemies!Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I've never had standing room only when boarding a train at 3am on MTA. However, there have been times I've been at 14th street at 3am and I can't even board a train because it's packed worse than a WTC-bound train departing Grove St. during rush hour.

It's true, PATH is one of the few subway systems in the world that operate 24/7, but that's because the demand is there. Show me another system that transports as many people, given the microscopic size of the system, relatively speaking.

PATH is vital to the economic health of the region and is used heavily during the overnight hours. I'm willing to venture that most systems in the world do not have the same passenger demand overnight as PATH.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
One of the biggest things they could do to alleviate some crowding, or at least lessen discomfort, is pass some kind of regulation that backpacks and messenger bags need to be off the shoulder in the train.

On my commute on the WTC line, I have to say, most people do take off their large backpacks. The people I see not doing it seem to be newcomers or tourists. Often some hipster with a backpack someone trekking across Alaska would wear.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think I'm the troll. Have you tried it?

Posted on: 2018/1/10 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
One of the biggest things they could do to alleviate some crowding, or at least lessen discomfort, is pass some kind of regulation that backpacks and messenger bags need to be off the shoulder in the train. When a few people with packed backpacks are in the car, it makes it difficult to get in or out, and it takes up space.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2018/1/10 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
I agree that the service frequency should be increased, but even NYC subway switches to every ~20 mins between trains ~12am-5am weekdays and the same schedule on almost every line on weekends. Some lines are better than others with standard 4-6 minute intervals all the way up until 1am on weekends.

Copenhagen is a little better with 20 mins between trains 12am-6am weekdays and 7-15 minutes between trains during the same periods on weekends.

The thing about Copenhagen is that it is not a great comparison: their metro is simpler (two lines) with driverless trains, and Copenhagen is a tiny city, and definitely smaller than the area served by the PATH (JC, Hoboken, Harrison, NWK, plus the areas in Manhattan) so their 20-minute span is appropriate for their needs. Also, the Copenhagen demographics are very different, with lots (most?) people commuting or getting around by bike. During my time there, seemingly everyone had a bike, and rode everywhere with it. It was not at all uncommon to see people leaving a bar and jump on a bike, or women clad in dresses leaving work, or events.

Just to confirm my observations, I took a quick look in Wikipedia and according to the figures cited there, the Copenhagen annual ridership is 61 MM, while the PATH is 25% higher, at 76.5 MM. We should totally have more service in the late evening hours.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:
When I commuted from Harsimus Cove to the WTC, in the mornings I would walk past Grove St to Exchange Place.

It is only about a 1/2 mile from Grove St to Exchange Place taking about 7 to 8 minutes

There are two train lines from Exchange Place to the WTC
During peak morning. Nwk to WTC scheduled frequency is 4 minutes. Hob to WTC is scheduled every 6 minutes
Train to WTC arrived at Exchange Place usually every 90 seconds to 3 minutes
A lot of people get off at Exchange Place making room to get on the train.
Don't have a delay on a train waiting to get to the Exchange Place platform

I always carried a ferry ticket with me in case something happened to PATH and no trains were going to the WTC.
Didn't have to wait on the ticket line before boarding a ferry.

Overall walking to Exchange Place didn't add more than a couple of minutes to my commute, and it was a more enjoyable commute. I liked the walk and don't mind the cold.

Shhhh.... please don't talk about it or the platform at Exchange Place will end up as bad as Grove.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 19:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/6 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
When I commuted from Harsimus Cove to the WTC, in the mornings I would walk past Grove St to Exchange Place.

It is only about a 1/2 mile from Grove St to Exchange Place taking about 7 to 8 minutes

There are two train lines from Exchange Place to the WTC
During peak morning. Nwk to WTC scheduled frequency is 4 minutes. Hob to WTC is scheduled every 6 minutes
Train to WTC arrived at Exchange Place usually every 90 seconds to 3 minutes
A lot of people get off at Exchange Place making room to get on the train.
Don't have a delay on a train waiting to get to the Exchange Place platform

I always carried a ferry ticket with me in case something happened to PATH and no trains were going to the WTC.
Didn't have to wait on the ticket line before boarding a ferry.

Overall walking to Exchange Place didn't add more than a couple of minutes to my commute, and it was a more enjoyable commute. I liked the walk and don't mind the cold.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I've never had standing room only when boarding a train at 3am on MTA. However, there have been times I've been at 14th street at 3am and I can't even board a train because it's packed worse than a WTC-bound train departing Grove St. during rush hour.

It's true, PATH is one of the few subway systems in the world that operate 24/7, but that's because the demand is there. Show me another system that transports as many people, given the microscopic size of the system, relatively speaking.

PATH is vital to the economic health of the region and is used heavily during the overnight hours. I'm willing to venture that most systems in the world do not have the same passenger demand overnight as PATH.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that the service frequency should be increased, but even NYC subway switches to every ~20 mins between trains ~12am-5am weekdays and the same schedule on almost every line on weekends. Some lines are better than others with standard 4-6 minute intervals all the way up until 1am on weekends.

Copenhagen is a little better with 20 mins between trains 12am-6am weekdays and 7-15 minutes between trains during the same periods on weekends.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Ditto. Any other transit agency in the world, you'd likely get a seat between midnight and 4am. But in PATH they run so few trains that it's standing room only, even worse than rush hour sometimes.

You do realize that PATH is one of about 10 subway lines worldwide that operate 24/7, right?

Not sure how this matters... so, yes, they theoretically operate
24/7, but the 35 minute time span between trains in the late evening is crazy. I have seen late evening trains packed as bad as morning rush hour trains.

Quote:

In fact, only the NYC subway, PATH and Copenhagen Metro operate their entire networks 24/7.

Cool little trivia night factoid.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Ditto. Any other transit agency in the world, you'd likely get a seat between midnight and 4am. But in PATH they run so few trains that it's standing room only, even worse than rush hour sometimes.

You do realize that PATH is one of about 10 subway lines worldwide that operate 24/7, right?

In fact, only the NYC subway, PATH and Copenhagen Metro operate their entire networks 24/7.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
For WTC commuters shut out at Grove:
Take the Newark train back to Harrison not JSQ. JSQ is frequently as bad as Grove now and Harrison is only 3 minutes away and frequently much more civilized. It's pretty annoying to take the train backward to JSQ and still get shut out of one or two trains. Particularly between 8 and 9am.

This is a troll post. It's like 15 minutes to Harrison. 15 minutes back to Journal Square, and it's not an easy transfer -- you might even have to exit the system to get back in.

Posted on: 2018/1/10 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
There was a news story on some local news website talking about start of the next phase to upgrading Penn Station NYC. Minimal number of commuter trains to NYC, recommending getting off @ Newark and taking PATH. Another option was NJ Transit Bus Service into City from special staging areas.

Posted on: 2018/1/8 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
i hope you arent banking on any investment is public transit (especially in NYC) in the next 4 years since this administration is the most anti-public one thats been in office in a very long time.

Posted on: 2018/1/8 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe there have been no comments on here today... PATH was shut down for a couple of hours this morning because of a broken track, leading to a refugee-like shuffle down Columbus to the ferry. I was fortunate enough to be one of the earlier arrivals at the ferry - by the time I got on the boat, the line for tickets extended to the Hyatt. NJ Transit had a train stuck in the tunnel this morning. JFK flooded over the weekend. LIRR had broken tracks last week. The bridge over the Newark Bay shut down the week before because it had "dropped several inches"...

Calling our infrastructure third world is an insult to a good portion of the third world...

Posted on: 2018/1/8 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
For WTC commuters shut out at Grove:
Take the Newark train back to Harrison not JSQ. JSQ is frequently as bad as Grove now and Harrison is only 3 minutes away and frequently much more civilized. It's pretty annoying to take the train backward to JSQ and still get shut out of one or two trains. Particularly between 8 and 9am.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/16 6:03
From DT JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Well, don't tell too many people about it, then everyone will get the same idea and it won't work too well anymore.

Laugh?, it?s no secret at this point. When Grove is crazy in the morning, I?ll catch a train to JSQ to get the 33rd train. All my friends do the same. And friends at Newport do a similar shuffle to Hoboken for the 33rd train. The over-crowding is so bad I?m considered making that route my routine. I?m over trains arriving so full at Grove that I can?t get on. PATH is an over-crowded mess, getting worse by the day.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 9:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

hamhock wrote:
Quote:
iGreg wrote:
Well now when trying to get on a train @ 33rd station it is packed out with riders coming up from 23rd who already grabbed a seat.

Amazing how when doors opened half the ppl in the car stayed in place, maybe it's a life hack I'll need to start doing as well.

I used to do that on hot summer late evenings from 9th Street - why wait for the same train to come back down 15 minutes later packed full of people? Ride in comfort.

Yeah this is my late-night go-to maneuver, as well.

Well, don't tell too many people about it, then everyone will get the same idea and it won't work too well anymore.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 5:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/1/3 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamhock wrote:
Quote:
iGreg wrote:
Well now when trying to get on a train @ 33rd station it is packed out with riders coming up from 23rd who already grabbed a seat.

Amazing how when doors opened half the ppl in the car stayed in place, maybe it's a life hack I'll need to start doing as well.

I used to do that on hot summer late evenings from 9th Street - why wait for the same train to come back down 15 minutes later packed full of people? Ride in comfort.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamhock wrote:
Quote:
iGreg wrote:

Posted on: 2018/1/3 4:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
iGreg wrote:

Posted on: 2018/1/3 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/1/3 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Can anyone explain the logic behind the elevator at Grove Street? I'm actually surprised this hasn't come up before.

To call the elevator, one must push - AND THEN HOLD - the button, until the elevator arrives.

Once on the damn thing, the passenger must push and hold the button until the elevator reaches its destination. Let go, and you're stuck between floors. And it's not just pushing the button, you really have to lean into it, hard.

It is an awkward maneuver for the able-bodied. I cannot imagine how an elderly person with a walker or a wheelchair-bound passenger could comfortably accomplish this.

I used the elevator because I had my hands full of heavy luggage. Oh hey, there's a button I need to press and hold my full body weight into. Handy.

In typical Port Authority manner, they've taken something simple, and made it complicated.

And how is this even ADA-compliant?

Unbelievable. It's like they've gone it that way to design it that poorly out of spite. I would relish is this was also found to be non ADA compliant and they're forced to rework it again.

Posted on: 2018/1/2 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Anyone know the full story about the stairs at the south end of the 33rd Street station?

All I've been able to find is that it's closed for renovations.

They've been saying "open early 2018" from the start.

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71442

https://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories_path.html

Thanks. I guess I confused the date with the renovation of the MTA stairwell at the same station (32nd & Broadway), which was closed from Aug or Sept until 12/28/17 for renovation, and is now reopened.

I wonder why the PATH stairs renovation is taking so much longer. Did Calatrava design it?

Posted on: 2018/1/2 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Anyone know the full story about the stairs at the south end of the 33rd Street station?

All I've been able to find is that it's closed for renovations.

They've been saying "open early 2018" from the start.

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71442

https://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories_path.html

Posted on: 2018/1/2 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone explain the logic behind the elevator at Grove Street? I'm actually surprised this hasn't come up before.

To call the elevator, one must push - AND THEN HOLD - the button, until the elevator arrives.

Once on the damn thing, the passenger must push and hold the button until the elevator reaches its destination. Let go, and you're stuck between floors. And it's not just pushing the button, you really have to lean into it, hard.

It is an awkward maneuver for the able-bodied. I cannot imagine how an elderly person with a walker or a wheelchair-bound passenger could comfortably accomplish this.

I used the elevator because I had my hands full of heavy luggage. Oh hey, there's a button I need to press and hold my full body weight into. Handy.

In typical Port Authority manner, they've taken something simple, and made it complicated.

And how is this even ADA-compliant?

Posted on: 2018/1/2 16:56

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017