Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Whistling Crossing Guards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Oh my god yes, the crossing guard at Monmouth and 7th does this too. I don't know why all these crossing guards think they need to direct traffic, they just cause a lot more traffic than if they let the stop signs take care of it. I guess just walking in the intersection when kids are crossing is too boring for them. He seems like a nice guy and isn't all that bad, but I'd prefer he just let traffic handle itself naturally.

He's stood with his back to 7th and waved me on, with a car coming through the stop. I don't trust him at all.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Oh my god yes, the crossing guard at Monmouth and 7th does this too. I don't know why all these crossing guards think they need to direct traffic, they just cause a lot more traffic than if they let the stop signs take care of it. I guess just walking in the intersection when kids are crossing is too boring for them. He seems like a nice guy and isn't all that bad, but I'd prefer he just let traffic handle itself naturally.

Posted on: 2017/2/8 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
As you can see from the thread merge, this has been discussed before, but there's no clear answer. There used to be an "activist crossing guard" (great description!) over by Cordero across from Hamilton Park, and she used to *love* to direct traffic, which invariably led to vehicular chaos, with cars snarled back several blocks, causing a domino effect of chaos and confusion on the local streets. I ended up having to reschedule and reroute my commute on days that I needed to drive just so I could avoid the antics of that woman.

Posted on: 2017/2/8 11:22

Activist Crossing Guards.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know the bounds of responsibilities and duties of the crossing guards?

All over downtown I encounter "activist" crossing guards, who go beyond helping people across the road and take on the task of directing all traffic through 'their' junction, often doing a poor job of it and causing more confusion and danger than they resolve.

Are they authorised to do this? Or are they supposed to stick to stopping traffic to let people cross, and then getting out of the way again afterwards?

Robin.

Posted on: 2017/2/8 4:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I go to an appointment every other week, and I said to someone I was with... WTF is that! Only good thing is when you are driving down YORK, she'll stop busy traffic to cross Jersey. But, yeah.. She blows on that thing a lot.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 16:07

Re: Where to Complain about School Crossing Guard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
While we're on the subject, am I the only person in JC who gets really annoyed by the guards who blow their whistles nonstop all morning long for no apparent reason? It's deafening, and it's always the same guards. I'm thinking especially on Jersey Ave by VVP, but there's any number of examples.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 21:16

Where to Complain about School Crossing Guard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
There is a guard on Kennedy/Spruce and I saw a handicapped school kid with Crutches cross the street and this guard just stood there with a cigarette in hand underneath some shade. This isn?t the first time I saw this person just standing there, seeing (today) how this person just stood there without even coming out into the crosswalk is unacceptable even if there was no oncoming car..

Posted on: 2011/6/13 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

victoria wrote:
No, I'm very serious here. Just observe some of the posts on this forum, all that is missing are the pitchforks. I mean, what are they going to do, try and get the crossing guard lady fired? I mean, I don't care, yeah, it's annoying but seriously pointing her out that way? It sucks! I mean, do these people understand the real life ramifications that their petty grievances can have on real people's lives and jobs? Leave people alone. Get a life. Stop complaining and yeah, stop trying to make our goddamn city a suburb. PLEASE!

Agreed, unfortunatly we are in the minority on this forum. Thats what most of these people want, the city label with all their comforts of the suburbs.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 21:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 0:34
Group:
Registered Users
No, I'm very serious here. Just observe some of the posts on this forum, all that is missing are the pitchforks. I mean, what are they going to do, try and get the crossing guard lady fired? I mean, I don't care, yeah, it's annoying but seriously pointing her out that way? It sucks! I mean, do these people understand the real life ramifications that their petty grievances can have on real people's lives and jobs? Leave people alone. Get a life. Stop complaining and yeah, stop trying to make our goddamn city a suburb. PLEASE!

Posted on: 2010/9/26 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

victoria wrote:
You folks are a little Stepford Wives, a little Children of the Corn, a little Night of the Living Dead. So, creepy to think you are all constantly peering out your windows and criticizing anything and everything you can find when your meds wear off and you start twitching at the sound of a crossing guard whistle. You know, it's not about gentrification necessarily or is it? I don't know what it is. The cool people are moving out because they have no choice. The haters are moving in, that's just the way it goes. I think it really sucks too that you are criticizing blue collar workers and teachers? Only an ignorant ass says something like this? Do you have children? (probably not, I imagine you are probably unmarried, childless and balding.) Are you planning to home school them? I think it says a lot about the people who post on this forum, they just don't have the guts to say these things in the streets, out loud. Now I clearly see that these voices are becoming the majority in our town. Last but not least, the audacity and hypocrisy of you saying that the crossing guard is having a power trip????? You must be kidding. GET A LIFE.

Even though I do feel it is some what of a power trip they may be having I love everything else you said. And where are you when I make my rants similar to yours?!?!?!

Posted on: 2010/9/26 20:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You folks are a little Stepford Wives, a little Children of the Corn, a little Night of the Living Dead. So, creepy to think you are all constantly peering out your windows and criticizing anything and everything you can find when your meds wear off and you start twitching at the sound of a crossing guard whistle. You know, it's not about gentrification necessarily or is it? I don't know what it is. The cool people are moving out because they have no choice. The haters are moving in, that's just the way it goes. I think it really sucks too that you are criticizing blue collar workers and teachers? Only an ignorant ass says something like this? Do you have children? (probably not, I imagine you are probably unmarried, childless and balding.) Are you planning to home school them? I think it says a lot about the people who post on this forum, they just don't have the guts to say these things in the streets, out loud. Now I clearly see that these voices are becoming the majority in our town. Last but not least, the audacity and hypocrisy of you saying that the crossing guard is having a power trip????? You must be kidding. GET A LIFE.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
THose that can, DO!
Those that cannot, TEACH,
Those that cannot teach, TEACH GYM,
Those that cannot teach gym become CROSSING GUARDS!

THey would do the world a bettter service as janitorial staff.

And you NEVER give crazy people whistles...they are annoying enough using their voices.
(Had to listen to one babbbling at the top of his lungs last night on PATH about being SAVED! First time getting out onto the red hot 23rd Street Station was an unalloyed pleasure.)

I really think that crossing guards are the demented acquaintances and family of politicians...no joke. It's just another way of squeezing a few more pennies from taxpayers.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 12:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/31 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Same deal with the lady at JFK and St. Paul's. Seems to be signaling in a semaphore of her own invention.

Posted on: 2010/9/26 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Just like certain security gaurds it probebly gives them a sense of power, and just like human nature they take advantage of it. That being said I had to pass said crossing gaurd lady one day and nearly had a mental breakdown with all the whistling. I always thought this was a volunteer job up until now, how much you suppose they are making an hour?

Posted on: 2010/9/25 18:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Whistle chirps? WTF? You must be kidding? I can't believe it, the stereotype is completely true. What do you folks do all day, creep by your windows, take anti-anxiety medication, and twitch at the sound of the whistle chirps? So sad. . lol!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/9/25 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the crossing guards these days seem to be inept and/or lazy. I agree with all that said they seem to contribute more to the traffic problems than help it. Apparently they give anyone a uniform and whistle and don't teach them anything about traffic management. These crossing guards do nothing more than perform poorly and collect a paycheck, similar to how the rest of the bureaucratic system that is Jersey City functions. Not to mention they seem strangely empowered like many of the city employees as well.

Now when I was a kid in Brooklyn, crossing guards were a different breed of people. I sound like an old man now.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 12:46
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
It could be worse I guess. You should see the crossing guard on the corner of VanVorst and Grand Street, in front of St. Peters. That cow doesn't move her fat butt for anything. She sits perched on the fire hydrant while she watches the kids cross. Wouldn't even think of getting up to cross them!

....and we pay them for this?

Posted on: 2010/9/23 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
One time she was waving traffic on when she stops me in the intersection of Jersey and York. She has the kids cross and turns back to me. She starts screaming at me for being in the middle of the intersection. I calmly explained that this is where she stopped me. She then waved me on. As I passed her I told her that she really sucks at her job.

It was great seeing her have a meltdown from my rear view mirror.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I know this crossing guard's antics well. I drive by there in the morning rush hour and she has dangerously worked traffic on several occassions when it's been unnecessary (no pedestrians). She's batshit crazy. She created a traffic jam with her misguided hand gestures and ill advice directing traffic and all the vehicles were not only confused but obviously one vehicle refused to go for the same reasons I do - she isn't really seeing what else is going on. The car refused to turn left on a red light because it's illegal and she wasn't watching the oncoming traffic so if he had hit something, whose fault would it have been? It was CRAZY to watch this go down! - she furiously blew her whistle but he refused to go and this held up about four lights worth of traffic. Someone should report her.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
It is a way for the state to give a stipend to crazy women who would otherwise have to be institutionalized.

I have yet to see anyone standing in the middle of the street who actually made things work better...they ALWAYS make a pig's breakfast out of the task.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
When LCCS was on Grand I had to brave crossing near the formidable and pretty competent Mrs. Brown, who would blow her whistle so loud if you were too near your ears would ring.

My biggest crossing guard problem now is the guard at Jewett and Bergen who simply can't or won't attempt to control the pedestrians, not just kids, who will block the cars from moving when the light is green.

Other guards at stop signs drive me crazy by stopping traffic instantly for everyone that comes to the curb, rather than holding them a little so they cross as a group. They end up holding traffic 80% of the time at 3:10, backing up traffic for blocks.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Do we have crossing guards because vehicles dont obey the lights, or because the kids dont obey the crossing signs, or both, or something else?

Posted on: 2010/9/23 19:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Someone should just blow a whistle right in her ear when you are crossing. Maybe she will figure it out.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
funny, i had the same thought this morning when the whistling woke me up. i didn't remember hearing it for a long time, but i guess since school is back in session...

she's intense. and likewise, it confuses me. who is the whistling for?

Posted on: 2010/9/23 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I would think that making eye contact with the driver, and a clear "halt" hand motion or a clear "come on" hand motion would do the trick. I'm not even sure what the whistle accomplishes, especially when it's being blown constantly.

It honestly seems like she just enjoys blowing that whistle and annoying people. Like a twisted, bizarre power trip, LOL.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 18:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I hate that lady!

I live right on that corner, so annoying times 100. I've also seen her almost cause accidents, she really sucks. She gets into a shouting match with a driver or pedestrian at least several times a month.

And she also moves garbage bins. We got a ticket once, because our neigbors trash bins were left out in front of our stoop by the garbage men. So, one morning, I noticed the neighbor's bins in front of my stoop, so I moved them (they are labeled with our neighbor's address). My roommate saw her moving them back in front of our stoop?? She's awesome.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 18:33
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Whistling Crossing Guards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
For those people that live near the corner of Jersey and York....how in the world do you tolerate that lady BLASTING that whistle every 1-2 seconds?? I live on the other side of the park, and can hear it loudly though closed windows. I can only imagine what it sounds like if you actually live on that corner.

Not to bitch and moan, but I'm genuinely curious...is blasting the whistle in that manner necessary, and helpful? Are the whistles intended for pedestrians, or cars, or both? What exactly does the whistle chirp signify?

All serious questions -- my thinking is that the whistle chirps would confuse and irritate both pedestrians and motorists alike...not help them.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 18:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017