Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Cordero kids throwing rocks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
Quote:
Kids is this city are animals - at least the ones I've had the pleasure of encountering. Just take a walk through 2nd st. b/w Coles & Jersey any afternoon after school lets out. They hang out on the stoops, toss their trash everywhere, and yell obscenities at people. Bunch of savages in this town.

Bring back the cane, that's what's needed. Cane them all!

And compulsory military service, of course.

Robin.

I think the appropriate punishment for this violation would be a stoning.

Posted on: 2008/12/6 14:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Hollywood would be interested in this story! I see a book deal on the horizon.

Posted on: 2008/12/6 5:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Kids is this city are animals - at least the ones I've had the pleasure of encountering. Just take a walk through 2nd st. b/w Coles & Jersey any afternoon after school lets out. They hang out on the stoops, toss their trash everywhere, and yell obscenities at people. Bunch of savages in this town.

Bring back the cane, that's what's needed. Cane them all!

And compulsory military service, of course.

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 23:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/12/5 20:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Congrats!! and thank you!!

Posted on: 2008/12/5 17:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
May I ask, are you a parent?

Yes --- in fact, #2 is arriving in a couple of weeks.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
The wrap-up.........

Met with Stryner (the principal) this morning for about 15 minutes. He could not have been more receptive or gracious ---- and very much appreciated my visit because he apparently has been compiling a dossier of sorts on these particular hooligans (particularly on the girl "ring leader").

In fact, when I described the incident, he immediately said: "I have a pretty good idea of who you're talking about" --- and then he proceeded to describe their appearance and features very accurately. The guy is clearly on top of his game at that school, and I can see why he is so respected, so obviously I take him fully at his word when he says that he will address the matter appropriately.

If nothing else, maybe being called on it will put these little cherubs on a hiatus of mischief for a little while. If only one window or other piece of property is not potentially subject to vandalism as a result, then it was clearly worth the effort (yes, even if it's the window or other property of one of you who thinks I'm a crazy old man for chasing kids down the street!).

It's guys like Marvin Stryner who kind of restore your faith in the system --- whatever that even means anymore.

Good for you! Nice to see that the principal was responsive.

May I ask, are you a parent?

Posted on: 2008/12/5 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Good for you for following through. May I just say, its people like you who make me feel a little bit better knowing even when it doesn't directly involve them, sometime neighbors can and will be helpful. Again, on behalf of myself, Thanks for doing this and sharing.

I could not agree more!! Thank you djh101 for your efforts.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Good for you for following through. May I just say, its people like you who make me feel a little bit better knowing even when it doesn't directly involve them, sometime neighbors can and will be helpful. Again, on behalf of myself, Thanks for doing this and sharing.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 16:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The wrap-up.........

Met with Stryner (the principal) this morning for about 15 minutes. He could not have been more receptive or gracious ---- and very much appreciated my visit because he apparently has been compiling a dossier of sorts on these particular hooligans (particularly on the girl "ring leader").

In fact, when I described the incident, he immediately said: "I have a pretty good idea of who you're talking about" --- and then he proceeded to describe their appearance and features very accurately. The guy is clearly on top of his game at that school, and I can see why he is so respected, so obviously I take him fully at his word when he says that he will address the matter appropriately.

If nothing else, maybe being called on it will put these little cherubs on a hiatus of mischief for a little while. If only one window or other piece of property is not potentially subject to vandalism as a result, then it was clearly worth the effort (yes, even if it's the window or other property of one of you who thinks I'm a crazy old man for chasing kids down the street!).

It's guys like Marvin Stryner who kind of restore your faith in the system --- whatever that even means anymore.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
To answer one inquiry ---- they were "seventh or eighth graders" ---- I got at least that much from the school security guard. Not as if I even needed to be told that ---- the boys were as big as me!

Seventh or eighth graders at Cordero... So they were what, 18, 19 years old?

Posted on: 2008/12/5 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I don?t find anything wrong in following these kids for the purpose of trying to learn more about who they are. There are so few people that actually get involved, especially when it concerns other people or other peoples property.

The pebbles, stones, rocks (whatever is being thrown) may not have damaged his property (it certainly could have), but he was also concerned for his neighbors. As a property owner in Hamilton Park, I really I appreciate this.

Getting caught can be a major deterrent and perhaps one, two or all three kids may think twice before doing it again.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

billyboi wrote:
.....Jersey City is not a dangerous city! 95% of the kids are harmless.....

So then what are the other 5% or 1 in 20?

Posted on: 2008/12/5 13:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/26 6:52
Group:
Registered Users
Guns and knives... STOP IT ALREADY!!! Jersey City is not a dangerous city! 95% of the kids are harmless, I'm sure it's just as bad as any other city or even suburb. The only reason you're seeing a spike in crime is because crime follows money, and you've gone and brought a shit-load of it into downtown.

Get over yourselves. If you're that terrified of children than get the hell out.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Be cautious going after the neighborhood kids around here. A lot of them pack knives and some have guns. Leave the interaction to the police unless you're willing to risk your life.

Oh bull. I went there as a kid and taught there just a few years ago. It's one of the safer grammar schools in Jersey City. Are any of them carrying some weapon? Sure, odds say at least a few are, and your odds are probably greater when you're talking about kids throwing rocks at windows, but the vast majority do not.

Someone asked where Cordero is, its PS 37 on Erie between Pavonia and 9th.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 7:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Be cautious going after the neighborhood kids around here. A lot of them pack knives and some have guns. Leave the interaction to the police unless you're willing to risk your life.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 7:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
That said, go to Cordero. Ask to speak to the Principal, his name is Mr. Marvin Stryner, he is considered the best principal in Jersey City public schools, (by just about everyone, including his peers and teachers all around the city). I'm willing to bet that even if you walk in there with the descriptions you have, he'll be able to track them down, and put the fear of God into them. ALL of the students respect him in that building, so trust him to handle the situation. If he isn't able to help you, at least he is now aware of the situation and will do everything he can to prevent it from happening in the future, and you'll have done all that you can.

+1. And then some. I live on 8th street. I can't afford to replace a window or a windshield at this point.

I'm all for letting the principal put the fear of God into them.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 7:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Crazy person, chasing kids down the street!

Posted on: 2008/12/5 5:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/26 6:52
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, were the kids doing something stupid and should they have known better, absolutely, but some of you folks on here act as if ALL kids in Jersey City are criminals, get over it, kids do stupid things sometimes.

That said, go to Cordero. Ask to speak to the Principal, his name is Mr. Marvin Stryner, he is considered the best principal in Jersey City public schools, (by just about everyone, including his peers and teachers all around the city). I'm willing to bet that even if you walk in there with the descriptions you have, he'll be able to track them down, and put the fear of God into them. ALL of the students respect him in that building, so trust him to handle the situation. If he isn't able to help you, at least he is now aware of the situation and will do everything he can to prevent it from happening in the future, and you'll have done all that you can.

Don't be too hard on the security guard, the fact that they didn't know the kids pretty much just means that the kids aren't really trouble makers, or the guard works the later shift of the day, so they don't really know the kids.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 3:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I would have called the cops and called the principal. Since it isn't occuring during school time it isn't really the school's problem. The principal could maybe scare the students a little though.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 0:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
You can always throw rocks at them if you see them again.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 0:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Your original post said "Nothing broken, thank goodness".

Robin -- really, all due respect ---- your logic is skewed.

So, because no glass was actually broken on any windows on this block (although these kids were certainly old enough to know the potential consequences of their actions), it means this gets classified as a meaningless adolescent prank?

That's the equivalent of saying: "Well, I drove home stone-blown drunk, but I didn't hit anyone or anything, and I got home in one piece, so what I did is perfectly okay."

You're going to make a fine parent one day, if you're not already (insert sarcasm here).

Posted on: 2008/12/4 23:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully they were scared and they learned their lesson. Thats one of the problems with our kids these days, there are no consequences. They are no longer afraid of the principal (especially after 5th grade) and their parents are usually no where to be found. What can you do? I think you did the right thing.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 23:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
the spark plug porcelain to car window is way cooler.. rookies.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
However, breaking the pane (or panes) of a full-length parlor window is not harmless ---- it's called vandalism.

Your original post said "Nothing broken, thank goodness".

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 23:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
I don't care what anyone else says, you did the right thing. These kids need to learn there are consequences to their actions. I wish this city had 50 more like you.

I say, pursue it. If it was just kids being kids thats one thing, but they weren't using tp or shaving cream, they were using rocks.

Thank you for caring.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 22:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
I once had a good size rock thrown through my front window a few years ago. Most likely the result of some kids horsing around. They happened to hit it perfectly to cause the most damage. Bent the window frame so I had to replace the whole thing at a cost of $500.

I really wish a neighbor was around to watch my back.

You did the right thing.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 21:50
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To answer one inquiry ---- they were "seventh or eighth graders" ---- I got at least that much from the school security guard. Not as if I even needed to be told that ---- the boys were as big as me!

Vigilante -- yes, I did feign to take the girl's picture and she was pissed. In truth, I just upgraded my blackberry and haven't mastered this one yet (let alone the camera feature!), so it was a total bluff but she bought it hook, line, and sinker.

And yes, there was indeed a time when kids had some modicum of fear ---- there was also a time when you could just ring their necks ----- but not anymore! You end up being the one taken away in "bracelets."

Posted on: 2008/12/4 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
If you had feigned taking their photo and then scaring them off alla "I am going to tell your Principal"!! That alone would probably have had them freaking out and tossing and turning all night. Instead, because of the reaction of the security guard etc., they have simply learned that there are no consequences for their actions. There was a time when you could count on the cops to put a little fear in a kid but lawyers and mamby-bamby's have put an end to those days.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
our targets were those who would get riled and chase us down the road, there's no fun if there is no response.

There's some truth to this. The guy who ran out in the yard yelling would be the most likely target for a bamboo spear attack.

My advice is to buy a Camaro. Kids never screw with the guy who owns a Camaro. He'll catch you and threaten to kick your ass.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 21:30

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017