Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Ducky's and Dumplings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Just ordered from there. The dumplings are good and authentic. Chinese dumplings are usually doughy with thicker skin than Japanese dumplings. Anyway, that's how I like them so I thought they were pretty tasty. We had the pork and duck lo mein and it was OK but not spectacular. Good stuff for the price, we'd go back.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 1:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/29 22:56
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Dumplings are good but they're not Chinatown Cantonese dumplings.

I've had the pork and chives which I think are the best of their selection. I've also had the duck and pork over rice, this is pretty close to what you'd get in Ch-town. The pork lo mein is just the noodles with the pork on top. So that gets my lowest vote.

All in all, if you're looking for Chinese restaurant dumplings, it's a good deal. If you're looking for my mom's cantonese dumplings soup, it's not here.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Went for the first time this Saturday. Have to concur with sassinak re: the doughy, greasy dumplings. But I found the pork soup to be very good. Chunks of pork on-the-bone and I thought that the stock was actually quite well done. The folks behind the counter were very pleasant. Ducky's is OK in a pinch but I'll stick with Grand Sichuan, especially for dumplings.

Posted on: 2010/11/16 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Still not thrilled with it being below street level -- but at least they have to boil the dumplings!
Do they have a menu online?

Posted on: 2010/11/16 17:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
megasigh...

if i am looking for cheap bellyfilling doughy mediocre dumplings , plain rices and oily lomein or noodle soup, i now know where i can spend my small bills.

after looking forward to a meal at this place since this stream started, we ordered from D&D the other night. snce i wanted to get a broad spectrum feel for their offerings, we ordered a little of everything.

pork dumplings both boiled and fried
chicken dumplings both boiled and fried
eggrolls
duck lomein
pork rice
pork noodle soup

for some reason we assumed that the pork rice was fried rice. not so, but the pork was the STAR in this dish, albeit a VERY small amount, but it was very moist and delish for delivery bbq pork.

sadly the rest of the food was a miserable flavorless oily failure.

the pork soup was oily and tasted heavily of duck (like they made a mistake and pulled duck out and put pork in) and the green (cabbage???) vegetable was long whole pieces. how can you eat it that way? should have been roughly chopped for spoonability methinks

the eggrolls looked great, and were nice and golden. but were pasty and rather tasteless inside. nothing like numerous eggrolls i have had all over the world. these were probably the worst i have EVER had anywhere, and i loves me some eggrolls

the duck lomein was oily as well and though had a good assortment of ingredients, were still oddly bland and blah. the duck was ok, but just like most places chopped duck means bones bones bones (not a site specific issue here, but a general gripe.)

dumplings
doughy masses of gristly (yep, we had many a piece of gristle across the board) blandness. oddly enough, even the boiled dumplings were oily. how does that happen?

overall this meal, though it arrived within 20mins of the order on a saturday night, was just too sad for us to be making any kind of habit or second order.

the is an equation here, it is cheap, and it is in quantity, but a cheap, large quantity of crap food is still crap food.

Life is too short to eat crap food
If you want a real treat, head over to the lighthorse tavern and order the 10 slow cooked crispy pork ribs off the bar menu. These bad boys are falling off the bone tender and the flavor explosion is fully worth the $18 dollars (share it with a friend and get a side of fall veggies ($5) to go with it)

Posted on: 2010/11/16 15:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/14 1:55
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Meh, although at a seemingly good price for the immediate Downtown/Grove St area, the Ducky's & Dumpling just was sad...I was disappointed to see none of the dumplings were cooked in front of me.

I've gotten $1 dumplings in Chinatown that were fresh and were fried in front of me. I almost wanted to leave and go to Grand Sichuan for something fresher.

Another review is soon to follow; the prices are by far too attractive to bypass this place for a delivery.

*My Yelp Review*

http://www.yelp.com/biz/duckys-and-du ... id:O4hrtzX2zhGmdtAk8xQ0fw

Posted on: 2010/11/16 14:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Had a party Saturday night and ordered 50 pork and 50 chicken dumplings - everything came on time, hot, and delicious. Highly recommend - especially if you go there and talk to them, they'll cut you a deal for larger orders. Be aware though, they don't take credit cards yet.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Another enthusiastic thumbs up for Ducky's and Dumplings! Stopped in yesterday with the wife. We showed up a little after 2 PM. No waiting, or other customers. Quick, friendly service. Food cooked to perfection. Very nice overall. We ordered a bunch of things (kimchi fried rice, vegetable lo mein, vegetable dumplings and shrimp dumplings) and everything was good. Cheap, too! Paid slightly over $14 for all of that food and had some leftovers. A great addition to the area, specially for those of us who get a craving for Chinatown grub from time to time.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 14:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
The vegetable dumplings were GREAT! They were flavorful and full to bursting with veggies! The outside of the dumpling was thick, pliable doughy goodness. We also got the chicken-basil dumplings and beef lo mein.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Had some takeout tonight, Sunday evening is a great time to order, no waiting.

Excellent Chinatown style noodle soup and rice dishes. Anything with duck is good, and the roast pork is very tasty, all cooked to perfection. Dumplings are okay. Priced right, it's a great place to have a quick meal - nothing fantastic, just good simple food. No credit cards accepted at this time.

Great addition to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ThirdStreet wrote:
The roast duck noodle soap is a must try.

Im not to sure I'd want to eat soap.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 15:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Great addition to the neigborhood. The pork and chives dumplings that I have been having have improved quite a bit since I had it the first time. The roast duck noodle soap is a must try.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am by no means any sort of dumpling snob, but I tried the chicken basil dumplings the other day around lunchtime, and I found them to be pretty tasty. If anything, it's good to have another option open "reasonably late" (11?), aside from Ibby's.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I ordered ahead today and got the wrong type of dumpling (wanted chicken basil but got pork instead). Not that big of a deal if it were tasty but as the other poster said, it was only a B+. Also, the rice box was very generous with the rice and a little scant with the roast pork. A little disappointed.

At the reasonable prices they offer, i don't really expect much. Nice place to fill your stomach but not really that great quality or quantity.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Dumpling Troubleshooting Tip:

If you're ordering dumplings for delivery / takeout, consider ordering them boiled.

At home, place a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil in a skillet and fry up the dumplings for a few minutes at medium heat.

crispy, hot, delicious.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
My boyfriend and I stopped by last night for a snack and ordered the fried pork and the chicken with basil dumplings. Both were delicious, not doughy, and served immediately. We actually went in because there were just a few people inside. They let us eat them out back under the tent. Everyone was really friendly in there!

The owner said they were hoping in the future to have hot pot setups on the tables out back. Something else to look forward to.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 19:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/10 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
We ordered from D&D on Friday, fully expecting to wait for our delivery based on the reviews mentioned in this thread. Sure enough, an hour later our food arrived, and unfortunately was not very hot, but thats not anything a good zap in the micro can't take care of. Unfortunately, we were less than thrilled with the shrimp dumplings... they tasted almost of plastic and I had the unpleasant experience of crunching down into a shrimp tail. The lo mein was OK as well, didn't seem very flavorful, I ended up pouring the rest of my dumpling sauce on it to jazz it up. The veggie dumplings were terrific though. All that said, and even though we were left a little bit disappointed, I would still be willing to give it another shot, just for the price alone.

Though I have to say, my chinese food allegiance will always be with Chun Bo! Viva la crab rangoon!

Posted on: 2010/11/2 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Tried the classic Pork and Chives fried dumplings. These are B+ dumplings; very good. At $2.50 for five, it's a no-brainer. These are several rungs up from the garden variety, doughy travesties that pass for dumplings at the average chinese take-out joint and they cost the same or less than aforementioned fake dumplings. Looking forward to trying their other dishes...

Posted on: 2010/10/30 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quite a line every time I pass by.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 23:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
Went there for lunch today. Good stuff! Can't fault them at all on the food. However... I tried calling ahead, but nobody was picking up the phone; when I got there, it was just as disorganized as everybody's been saying. It's somewhat bewildering, as there's quite a lot going on back there while not much is being given to customers. And the baby...

Anyways, I guess I'll just add on to the chorus here and tell you all to order ahead, expect a wait, and get good food. At some level, even with the wait, I'm glad I don't have to go into Chinatown to get my fix... saves me a couple of PATH fares and even with the wait, gets to me quicker.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i go to tasty dumpling on mulberry pretty much any time i go to chinatown. if that's what these guys are cooking up, then it will definitely be a good spot to pick up some stuff to go.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 8:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The reviews sound pretty good. I think i ought to try it soon. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Posted on: 2010/10/27 18:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
Ducky's is donkey. As in redonculous. That's right I gave them redonc status. And that is a treat.

I think the must try is the duck low mein. Clearly its duck so its going to be rich, but surprisingly this was not overly greasy.

The dumplings and soup were amazing too. The veggies uber fresh.

Ducky for Mayor! Ducky for Mayor! Ducky for Mayor!

Damn. I loved Pretty in Pink. Where is my adderral.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Tried them last night. Amazingly disorganized, but the noodle soup is delicious and something I think I'll be getting a lot as the weather cools down. I really hope they settle in and get things streamlined -- it's a great thing to have in the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 15:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/27 19:14
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The dumplings are addicting. I plan to go back to try the lo mein as well. While I was there the owner or manager had just returned from making a delivery himself. Apparently the delivery person's motorbike was stolen yesterday and he quit. The ordering process was chaotic and he apologized to everyone explaining that they are not yet fully staffed and are working out the whole process. The food is definitely worth a try and they will get the kinks worked out.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
This place is great. I got takeout yesterday and the food was reallly good. Definitely can't beat the price as well...I got 2 orders of dumplings, 2 orders of noodle dishes, spring rolls and wonton noodle soup for $16. My wife, daughter and I couldn't even finish it all. I have to agree it does take a little long however I rather have them prepare to order rather than have it sitting there and re-heated. This is a great addition to the neighborhood and I hope the trend continues.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 13:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Ordered delivery from here tonight. It took about an hour to arrive, but when it did it was nice and hot and fresh, and everything was great! Definitely planning to go back there again and often.

Don't hate on the dumpling place. It is new, barely even open and they are doing as well as they can for just opening a week or so ago. Be happy it's not your typical chinese takeout...besides, if you don't like it, simply don't order from them again...problem solved!

Posted on: 2010/10/27 2:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CloverLeigh wrote:
My concern is that the ground level there floods all the time and sits as stagnant water. How sanitary can it possibly be, that's why no restaurants have lasted down there?

You know this as fact? I've never heard that's why Comfort Bistro closed. There are plenty of "garden level" residences and business that seem to be just fine.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 22:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/14 2:06
From 2nd Floor on Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
My concern is that the ground level there floods all the time and sits as stagnant water. How sanitary can it possibly be, that's why no restaurants have lasted down there?

Also, as a nearby resident, I now listen to them blast club music into the night in their backyard area- I don't object to the music, I just would love it turned down a notch since no one is actually sitting out there.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was so tempted to eat at this restaurant but when I went there this weekend it was super crowded, crying baby, and flustered staff. Plus, it sort of skeeved me out to see grocery bags lying on the back counter with the bbq duck etc? I thought they did their on bbq duck on premises? but it seems like they got it from chinatown (along with the frozen dumplings). I'm a little disappointed with the lack of real preparation onsite, it seems like they assemble dishes rather than make their own bbq duck or dumplings.

I might as well go to c'town myself and pick up my own bbq duck and frozen dumplings!

Judging by the previous respondents, seems like a good place for a cheap (not so) quick fix. Hope they get their act together soon.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 15:32

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017