Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza Expansion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
I have to say, I went to Pontevedra about 10 years ago in a trip from Madrid to A Corunia and Santiago de Compostela - I also visited albarino vineyards but that another story.. I thought that Pontevedra was heaven on earth..., already. At 5-6 PM everybody started getting out in the streets and the place just fired up, people were having such a good time. The area of Las Rias Baixas also is spectacular, the closest I have found to a Mandelbrot algorithm. But I digress, the pedestrian part was the most used and safe.

EU is very different from USA Culturally & Sensibility wise.

Each sovereign country is steeped in its own Regional History/Natural Environment & specifically in Spain, I too have been taken by this area's indigenous environment that is indeed much like being immersed in a most beautiful Fractal !!!

I cannot say the same for MF Vison of Green_Space along the closed areas of Newark Ave. here in JC.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 18:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/30 10:48
From Belgium, Brussels
Group:
Registered Users
Eh, it may be annoying, but if the pedestrian plaza's expanding, it means that it's thriving, and if it's thriving, it means that Newark's economy is. I mean, it's by checking out the pedestrian-oriented street retail sector that you get the pulse of a city's economic health, let's start with a striking example, Athens in crisis-ridden Greece : article here

Why is that? Well, if the retail street's thriving, it means that shops are opening there, and if shops are opening, it means that 1) expensive commercial real estate is being bought and that 2) the people can buy stuff there.

Posted on: 2018/9/25 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hamparkvet wrote:
On a recent visit two years after moving away from Jersey I walked down Newark Ave. just after midnight on a Saturday. No cars is nice but the place just looked like an extension of Hoboken Frat-Boy Hell. The drunks milling about and screaming and on and on was just another attempt to enhance American "party culture".

I was standing by the benches outside the Archer from about 10 pm to 2 am last night and it was pretty tame. There were always drunk idiots but at least now it's not the pedestrian hell that existed before. I kept seeing the same officers walking the block which likely deterred crappy behavior. Hopefully this expands further!

Posted on: 2018/9/22 10:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
On a recent visit two years after moving away from Jersey I walked down Newark Ave. just after midnight on a Saturday. No cars is nice but the place just looked like an extension of Hoboken Frat-Boy Hell. The drunks milling about and screaming and on and on was just another attempt to enhance American "party culture".

Posted on: 2018/9/22 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say, I went to Pontevedra about 10 years ago in a trip from Madrid to A Corunia and Santiago de Compostela - I also visited albarino vineyards but that another story.. I thought that Pontevedra was heaven on earth..., already. At 5-6 PM everybody started getting out in the streets and the place just fired up, people were having such a good time. The area of Las Rias Baixas also is spectacular, the closest I have found to a Mandelbrot algorithm. But I digress, the pedestrian part was the most used and safe.

Posted on: 2018/9/20 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
'For me, this is paradise': life in the Spanish city that banned cars

In Pontevedra, the usual soundtrack of a Spanish city has been replaced by the tweeting of birds and the chatter of humans

People don?t shout in Pontevedra ? or they shout less. With all but the most essential traffic banished, there are no revving engines or honking horns, no metallic snarl of motorbikes or the roar of people trying make themselves heard above the din ? none of the usual soundtrack of a Spanish city.

What you hear in the street instead are the tweeting of birds in the camellias, the tinkle of coffee spoons and the sound of human voices. Teachers herd crocodiles of small children across town without the constant fear that one of them will stray into traffic.

?Listen,? says the mayor, opening the windows of his office. From the street below rises the sound of human voices. ?Before I became mayor 14,000 cars passed along this street every day. More cars passed through the city in a day than there are people living here.?

Miguel Anxo Fern?ndez Lores has been mayor of the Galician city since 1999. His philosophy is simple: owning a car doesn?t give you the right to occupy the public space.

?How can it be that the elderly or children aren?t able to use the street because of cars?? asks C?sar Mosquera, the city?s head of infrastructures. ?How can it be that private property ? the car ? occupies the public space??

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/201 ... ty-banned-cars-pontevedra

Mayor Lores sounds like someone with vision who isn't afraid to think big.

Posted on: 2018/9/19 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
folks, let's think outside the box! Dozens Of Naked People Get Fully Bodypainted In Washington Square Park...sounds edgy

http://gothamist.com/2018/07/16/photo ... ting_day_2018.php#photo-1

Posted on: 2018/7/17 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
It's also much safer that trying to cross a street full of cars trying to snake between double parked and parked where prohibited cars. That stretch of Newark was a hellhole to navigate in a car.

Posted on: 2018/7/3 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ILRie wrote:
Also, I think it's a little heartless to say that a parent concerned about the safety of his child walking to and from school isn't a "real concern."

Is that child walking to and from school between the hrs of 9pm and 2am when this area is hopping? During the day it's quite calm.

Posted on: 2018/7/3 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ILRie wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
6 people spoke on this, only one wanted this because his child attends the preschool on Newark Avenue. The rest had real concerns.

Who?

I got in late so I missed the first few speakers, but the one immediately preceding the parent was decrying the growth of noisy restaurants/rowdy bars on Restaurant Row and worried that the pedestrian mall expansion would lead to more such establishments.

Also, I think it's a little heartless to say that a parent concerned about the safety of his child walking to and from school isn't a "real concern."

Despite her constant yammering about families and how families must absolutely be provided no less than 2 parking spaces by the city (to be subsidized by everyone else), she has no concern for families that don?t use her preferred mode of transportation to get from A to B.

Therefore we must rip out this new asset that thousands of people are using and enjoying so we can provide space for 50 people to park and idle.

Posted on: 2018/7/2 23:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/9 21:25
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
6 people spoke on this, only one wanted this because his child attends the preschool on Newark Avenue. The rest had real concerns.

Who?

I got in late so I missed the first few speakers, but the one immediately preceding the parent was decrying the growth of noisy restaurants/rowdy bars on Restaurant Row and worried that the pedestrian mall expansion would lead to more such establishments.

Posted on: 2018/7/2 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I think Jersey City of late keeps muddying and commingling the idea of a plaza and open space with a park and green space. exchange place with or without the memorial statue is being changed from a plaza (town square) to park space. I think they are different and serves different purposes ...
agreed.

as far as the stamped asphalt idea, i am not convinced that it need look atrocious if done well from the photos i've seen online and in other places. obviously, i think pavers would be a better, but perhaps cost prohibitive option.

Posted on: 2018/7/2 16:55

Edited by hero69 on 2018/7/2 17:12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think Jersey City of late keeps muddying and commingling the idea of a plaza and open space with a park and green space. exchange place with or without the memorial statue is being changed from a plaza (town square) to park space. I think they are different and serves different purposes ...

Posted on: 2018/7/2 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
some ideas to jazz up the pedestrian plaza
* stamped asphalt which would be cheaper than pavers

PLEASE NO! This is probably the worst idea ever by the current administration. Stamped asphalt is tacky, and it clearly doesn't work or last.

Definitely +1 on having more seating options, but not sure that things like ping pong tables would be a viable idea. No way to keep those from getting used as another place where to place drinks or dump trash and collect litter, and there is definitely no way that paddles or balls would not get stolen, or lost. Relying on people bringing their own is likely not practical, either. Interesting suggestion about chess tables. The new pocket park next to The One has two such tables, though I have never seen anyone actually using them for chess.

Posted on: 2018/7/2 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
some ideas to jazz up the pedestrian plaza
* stamped asphalt which would be cheaper than pavers
* lounge chairs to encourage, well, lounging about
* how about some ping pong tables, chess tables
* kidde play areas where the entrance to the municipal parking lot used to be

Posted on: 2018/7/2 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Following up on my previous question, does anyone know who were the 5 people who spoke against this green space?

Posted on: 2018/6/29 20:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/19 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

schmearwurst wrote:
So- the plaza will extend down to Monmouth?

Whoops! I see- we're talking about the extension to Jersey.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 11:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Who?

Posted on: 2018/6/29 1:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/19 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
So- the plaza will extend down to Monmouth?

Posted on: 2018/6/28 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Wow! 5 people spoke against it. Surely we must stop this monstrosity and avoid trying to foster increased foot traffic and neighborly interactions. I mean, let's get serious, this pedestrian plaza will likely increase traffic congestion over by Little India, and it will likely lead to increased deaths of patients being transported to JCMC.

Your hysterics and fear mongering are pitiful and reprehensible. You ought to do some soul searching and reconsider your actions.

Posted on: 2018/6/28 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/6/28 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
JERSEY CITY -- Despite still unresolved social issues similar to those in the Hoboken bar scene, the Jersey City council voted on June 27 to adopt an ordinance that would expand the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza two additional blocks west to Jersey Avenue.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Pedestrian plaza expansion approved in Jersey City

Surprising, but a welcomed decision. The pedestrian plaza has been a great addition and success for DTJC. Yes, there are some kinks to the setup and I am sure some people might be inconvenienced, particularly those that insist in a right to drive to the very front of wherever they wish. But, in terms of the positive impact of these pedestrian plazas, it is undeniable when you take a stroll and see the increased foot traffic and what I would characterize as an increased sense of community and neighborly interactions. Personally, almost every trip to the area results in meeting new people, or running into old friends and acquaintances.

Posted on: 2018/6/28 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY -- Despite still unresolved social issues similar to those in the Hoboken bar scene, the Jersey City council voted on June 27 to adopt an ordinance that would expand the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza two additional blocks west to Jersey Avenue.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Pedestrian plaza expansion approved in Jersey City

Posted on: 2018/6/28 19:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:

I don't know why any of you reply. I'm serious, take the challenge. Resist all urges to rely to anything from Yvonne. Do it for a week. It would be hilarious.

Yeah I mean ... you're right. I just can't resist. It's weird. Like an itch you know will go away if you can just stop scratching it.

Posted on: 2018/6/7 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ActionDan wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Time is everything in a fire. Years ago, the fire union, yes union, gave a talk about safety for their men. In that talk, the most important issue was time. After a fire starts burning, it is a matter of time before a fire explodes which is deadly for fire fighters. Removing barrier or a loss of time add to this problem.

I honestly don't understand why you post things like this.

I don't know why any of you reply. I'm serious, take the challenge. Resist all urges to rely to anything from Yvonne. Do it for a week. It would be hilarious.

Posted on: 2018/6/6 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ActionDan wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Time is everything in a fire. Years ago, the fire union, yes union, gave a talk about safety for their men. In that talk, the most important issue was time. After a fire starts burning, it is a matter of time before a fire explodes which is deadly for fire fighters. Removing barrier or a loss of time add to this problem.

During the first phase of the plaza, she was going on and on about how ambulances wouldn't be able to get to the medical center anymore and everyone would die. That hasn't been the case but she refuses to acknowledge it. It's Yvonne, what do you expect?

Posted on: 2018/6/6 20:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2018/6/6 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Time is everything in a fire.

Engine #5 is literally 5 blocks away from the pedestrian plaza.

It is no more difficult to navigate a pedestrian plaza (with no cars) than it is to navigate a block with active traffic.

No one is convinced by your fabrications.

Posted on: 2018/6/6 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/6/6 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Firetrucks today are large, it is the reason residents cannot park 25 feet from the corner to allow firetrucks to pass. It is not just one responding, it is usually 3 or 4 plus other support team.

And? Is it that you think that three or four trucks drive side by side? The number of trucks is completely inconsequential as to whether or not they can gain access to a particular street. In the case of Newark Avenue, they can easily access either pedestrian section through the gated areas, just like other vehicles do today.

Instead of making yourself look sillier by continuing this thread, why not simply say "oh, I see, never mind"? There is, quite literally, no difference or change to the fire safety of Newark Avenue because of the pedestrian plazas.

Posted on: 2018/6/6 17:21

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017