Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

Re: Thirty Acres Restaurant- Jersey Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Went last week. Trout was a-MAY-zing. So delicious and perfectly flaky. Not a bone to be found. Hangar steak was flavorful but a little chewy for our liking.

I loved the greens and the spinach, but Mr. Biscuit found their fresh-from-the-garden taste almost too alien. I know, weird. Raised by wolves, the both of us.

Can't wait to go back. I recommend midweek. A nice crowd but no long wait, and the service could not have been more prompt or gracious.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 0:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/9 20:28
Group:
Registered Users
Went there a couple weeks ago. The wait was 30 minutes, but we just went next door to pick out a wine.

Everything was delicious and more than I expected.
The Cavatelli with chicken liver sauce and mint was my personal favorite . It paired perfectly with a Rioja wine.

We also had a sushi appetizer, I forget which, but it was also executed very well.

Lastly, the lemon bar was a delicious ending.

The portions are a nice size: not too much and not too little.

My girlfriend and I left full but not stuffed, and buzzed but not drunk....great night!

Posted on: 2012/5/9 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Report on second visit -- new grilled sweetbreads great. Much better than the fried ones. Raw apps - arctic char and fluke terrific, particularly the fluke. Grilled octopus salad terrific.

Trout excellent.

Hangar steak overcooked (medium rare came out well done) and needed more salt. Taken off our bill. These people are smart.

Line out the door.

Posted on: 2012/4/29 0:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
Will you be having outdoor seating this summer?

we're in the process of applying for the permit, so wish us luck!

Posted on: 2012/4/25 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Will you be having outdoor seating this summer?

Posted on: 2012/4/25 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
[On the dish "Sweatbreads"]

"I can think of at least two things wrong with the name of that dish!"

-Nelson Muntz

Posted on: 2012/4/24 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Holy f$^k those reviews on yelp on the sweetbread... this is why NJ gets #OOPS#ing laughed at.

You would think that maybe ordering "breads" that were over $15 or so, might be a hint that it isn't "bread."

Posted on: 2012/4/23 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Holy f$^k those reviews on yelp on the sweetbread... this is why NJ gets #OOPS#ing laughed at.

I'm sure there are a ton of people outside the south that have no idea what sweetbreads are.

Go into any town in the south and see how many people know what cavatelli is, or manicotti (especially when you pronounce it properly).

So they can't Google it?

Posted on: 2012/4/22 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

I'm sure there are a ton of people outside the south that have no idea what sweetbreads are.

Go into any town in the south and see how many people know what cavatelli is, or manicotti (especially when you pronounce it properly).

I never realized sweetbreads were southern... I've know about them since I was a kid. I will say they are Offal. But if prepared properly, are wonderful. Oh, and I'm a damn yankee, raised in the north, and I've spent very little time in the south.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Then ask. It's okay not to know what something is but don't order it and then complain about it not being what you thought it would be.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Posted on: 2012/4/22 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/4/21 3:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Enjoyed a meal on Wednesday. Had the fried sweetbreads. It was delicious. Chuckled at the Delta Air Lines flatware. It's clear you love to fry...and it shows!

Posted on: 2012/4/21 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Went for the first time tonight. The cavatelli with chicken liver sauce was divine. One of the jalapenos in my husband's fried sweetbreads (yum) seared my palate for a few minutes. That was unexpected. I had the special soft shell crab. Fabulous. The one strange thing was my husband ordered the mackerel but the skate was served. Well, the skate was fabulous too. And next time we'll make sure we get the mackerel. And the lemon bar? Excellent, and fine coffee.

Note to Kevin: I do hope that once you get your liquor license, you buy decent wine glasses to match. The juice glass thing has got to go. (Reminded me of the early M&P days.)

Posted on: 2012/4/20 23:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/21 16:30
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/4/20 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
My boyfriend grabbed two seats the other night, when I got there he'd already finsished the octopus and ordered the fluke, I enjoyed that, almost like sushi.
I had the poussin {sp?}which was a bit pink for my tastes, he inhaled the skate like the sea monster he is, but he left most of the potatoes for me - YUM!
He grabbed some wine from the snooki-free place next door, I don't drink that much but I bet the restuarant will do better when they can make a mojito for me!
Overall, me Likey very much! And Alex is very nice, too.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
First meal there last night, and I have to agree somewhat with JSQ's assessment of the food:

1) NJ is the armpit of america
2) Jersey City is unsafe
3) Hoboken is sweet

seriously though:

1) Oysters - really nice maine jobbers, dug the beet puree addition.
2) Sweetbreads - what a combo: sweetbread nuggets, fried pickled jalepeno and BBQ dipping sauce? ultimate bar food. peppers had a nice kick.
Tartare - killer. excellent quality beef, subtly seasoned. i hope they serve that for brunch, would hit that with a plate of eggs any day. And the grilled bread was perfect too. sometimes it's the small things that really make a place. serving the right amount of good bread for that dish is overlooked at some spots.
3) Skate - in a world where skate seems to be on every menu, this did stand out. A light sweet dish with the crab/cabbage mix holding up a perfectly cooked (and portioned) piece of skate.
4) Cavatelli w/ chix liver sauce - Another dish i will be spending quality time with. Perfectly rich and creamy with nice al dente pasta. Randomly had Cavatelli at Colichio & Sons last week and it was garbage compared to this plate.

Anyway... people there are great, the space is roomy and comfortable, and with the BYOB in place, the dank beer flows like unfiltered sake.

Congrats to 30 Acres on the opening, an awesome addition to the neighborhood and JC food scene.

Only one sincere criticism: thei play list needs a much higher percentage of Hall & Oats in rotation. Only one track heard during my visit... ABSURD!

Posted on: 2012/4/19 19:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I finally got a chance to try Thirty Acres for lunch yesterday, we both came away very impressed. The beet greens and potato/bacon/chives share plates are fantastic, the mackerel in the mackerel sandwich was cooked perfectly, and those lemon bars are damn good. $38 pre-tip for a lot more food than we'd usually get for lunch, extremely reasonable for that level of finesse (and we easily could have gotten 2 sandwiches, 1 share plate, and no dessert).

Can't wait to go for dinner.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I went on opening night and loved it so much we went back the next night (we used the excuse of taking my dad). It's wonderful to have another really good restaurant in JC.

The menu is small but excellent. I'm guessing it's intentionally small and will change seasonally, but it may also grow as the kitchen settles in. We sampled the steak tartare, potatoes with bacon and creme fraiche, and beet salad appetizers - all amazing, especially the potatoes. The chicken liver pasta rivaled the best crostini I've ever had (in Florence in 1997) and both fish entrees were really delicious - perfectly seasoned and cooked with accompaniments that complemented but didn't overwhelm the fish. And I usually don't like lemon bars so my husband thought he'd get to enjoy two - I ate all of mine. Our server, Dan, couldn't have been nicer and even remembered our names.

We've been out of town the past week so haven't yet checked back in but this is definitely our new favorite restaurant (although nothing will ever dim our love for good old Madame Claude's). We eat out at least once a week and are so glad to have another really good option within walking distance.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 16:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 0:57
Group:
Registered Users
We ate here today and the food was AMAZING! Simply perfection, and price very reasonable as well. And having just opened, I expected the service to be spotty but everyone was so warm, friendly and attentive, I left there with the biggest smile on my face and thanking the staffs profusely for an amazing meal. What a great addition to the neighborhood, yay!

Posted on: 2012/4/16 3:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Small menus seems to be a foodie trend. When food is exceptionally fresh and caught that day (the mackerel was amazeballs, I don't know how else to explain it, but when things are THAT fresh it's incredible) who needs a ton of stuff? If you want that, go to a diner where they have 1,000 options. They have a rotating menu that will be seasonal (as said by the chef who came up and was nice enough to talk to us). If the biggest complaint is not enough stuff on the menu - try it first. Seriously.

Haven't been yet but totally agree with the concept, tons of choice just means more items prepared incorrectly or using ingredients past their prime. Small menus equal lower cost (to the restaurant and to the customers) and better quality. Give me 10 items flawlessly executed using the best ingredients any day over trying to tackle everything under the sun.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Small menus seems to be a foodie trend. When food is exceptionally fresh and caught that day (the mackerel was amazeballs, I don't know how else to explain it, but when things are THAT fresh it's incredible) who needs a ton of stuff? If you want that, go to a diner where they have 1,000 options. They have a rotating menu that will be seasonal (as said by the chef who came up and was nice enough to talk to us). If the biggest complaint is not enough stuff on the menu - try it first. Seriously.

My only request is that they encourage the wine store next door to stock their fridge with a nicer grouping of white wines. We went there and all there were was crap selection of $8.99 chilled wines. The one we chose wasn't cold. That wine store will get way more business from Thirty Acre patrons but they gotta stock some decent whites in that fridge man.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 14:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
hmmm... walked by there again today to peek at the menu since we were just strolling with the baby and not looking for din din per se.

VERY clean open layout for sure, without the typical cramming in of tables (a la madame claudes) so often seen.

BYOB is always a treat (no triple markup, and easy to pair up on your own anyway)

shockingly limited menu. obviously designed to take the pressure off of the kitchen ( i wonder how many covers these guys are pulling off each night. )

would like to see some more upmarket fish on that menu for those prices rather than those low cost skate and mackerel plates. . and jesus, not even a lamb option for us red meaters...

I dont doubt that we will try them out as soon as something that strikes our fancy pops up on the menu, but who knows when that'll be. meh, i need to put on the stroller mileage anyway.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Exceptional. Fresh, fresh, fresh. They don't write the menu until the food comes in that day. We saw a meat delivery and the chef turned it away because it wasn't what he was looking for. Wow. We sampled almost everything on the brunch menu. I've never had food this fresh on this side of the water with the exception of some dishes from OX and Marco and Pepe. What an amazing addition to the neighborhood. We needed you Thirty Acres. Thank you!

Posted on: 2012/4/14 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
tried to get in last night but there was an hour-and-a-half wait.

great for them! bummer for us (especially since we ended up with tasteless burgers at the Merchant. how does one screw up a hamburger?)

Posted on: 2012/4/14 16:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/24 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Had dinner there last night, very prompt, attentive and friendly service. Great food. Nice atmosphere. Speakers sounded tinny but I wasn't there to listen to music. Good prices, good quality flavor some food. A really positive addition to our neighborhood.
I wish them good luck and much success!

Posted on: 2012/4/13 23:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/13 20:44
Group:
Banned
Had a lovely dinner here tonight - food, service and price were all correct. Best to check the menu since it is not geared to everyone's taste and it will help choose what sort of wine (if any) to bring. Definitely a winner.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
FYI - in case anyone's wondering, they start offering lunch next monday 4/16, starting at 12 noon.

Can't wait to try it out one day!!!

Posted on: 2012/4/12 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Thirty Acres got a nice mention on Eater NY today, which linked to a very positive review of the place:
http://smithratliff.com/2012/04/09/postcard-from-jersey-city/

Posted on: 2012/4/12 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I ate here last night, food was great atmosphere was excellent. All and all I cannot wait to go back with a group of friends.

Congrats on opening, best of luck, and thanks for bringing another wonderful option to JC.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 12:59

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017