Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Storefronts not shoveled
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I?m throw Bayonne into the mix. When you come off of the Turnpike onto 53rd street the entire right lane is still filled with snow and ice all the way to Broadway. So the normally backed up 53rd street is even more backed up now because it is one lane. Way to go Bayonne DPW.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City had a crew of staff shoveling the sidewalks and parking lot of the school where Fulop is having his 'State of the City' campaign speech tomorrow night-nice Sunday doubletime gig to help him out! Did the same crew go to any other locations this weekend?

Posted on: 2017/3/19 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

South_Sixth wrote:
Yesterday, I walked to Newport mall. Sixth St between Manila and Marin were not shoveled, along the city owned ball field and fire dept parking lot.
Walked back on Eighth St, between Manila and Marin, not shoveled along the city owned police dept parking lot.

However, Marin and Manila were cleared between Sixth and Eighth Sts.

What gives?

Can't you walk on the other side of the street ?

Posted on: 2017/3/19 13:25
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/6 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday, I walked to Newport mall. Sixth St between Manila and Marin were not shoveled, along the city owned ball field and fire dept parking lot.
Walked back on Eighth St, between Manila and Marin, not shoveled along the city owned police dept parking lot.

However, Marin and Manila were cleared between Sixth and Eighth Sts.

What gives?

Posted on: 2017/3/18 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
As stated in many below posts the city really needs to crack down on owners who don?t shovel.

Another observation to add to my a-holes who throw snow/ice chucks into the plowed street post are the fools who park their cars on an angle sticking out into the street almost blocking the traffic flow. The only good thing is those fools do get fined by having their cars damaged. Driving around this morning I saw 4 cars sticking out into street that had frontend damage. Oh well.

I'm currently doing exactly this. Sorry.

Posted on: 2017/3/18 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
As citizens don't we have the right to swear ourselves in at the violations bureau in the city court house ? Just like motor vehicle tickets we should exercise our rights and fight these infractions if our elected officials will not.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 20:54
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/16 16:24
Group:
Registered Users
It's not just storefronts. The Stretch of Newark avenue sidewalk after the cemetery is a disgrace. This is used by students, parents, anyone trying to get downtown. Newark Ave is a race track and too dangerous to walk in. Signs mean NOTHING here. Please do NOT suggest crossing Newark at 8 Am unless there is a Police officer directing traffic.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
As stated in many below posts the city really needs to crack down on owners who don?t shovel.

Another observation to add to my a-holes who throw snow/ice chucks into the plowed street post are the fools who park their cars on an angle sticking out into the street almost blocking the traffic flow. The only good thing is those fools do get fined by having their cars damaged. Driving around this morning I saw 4 cars sticking out into street that had frontend damage. Oh well.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Where's the sanitation inspectors? Isn't this their turf? Gerry McCann can give me a bullshit ticket because he says my tenants aren't putting out recycling, but where is he when people's lives are at stake?

I was walking past Dickinson today over unshoveled walks, and 2 cops are standing there, and one says "careful" as I nearly go down. WTF?? How about enforcement instead of spectating the carnage?

Posted on: 2017/3/17 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
That douchebag that "owns" the Enbankment never shovels it. I really hope the city levies massive fines against him every snowstorm.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
If you own or have access to a shovel, you can be the hero this city deserves.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 1:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Oasis of Salvation Church on Wayne St continues to never remove snow unless it snows on Sunday. I have submitted complaints over the last two years, and nothing ever happens.

Last year my wife was pregnant and had to struggle to walk to the PATH. This year we have to pick up and carry the stroller over the church's uncleared sidewalks. That church is the worst neighbor on my block.

Posted on: 2017/3/16 19:28

Clearing Ice and Snow from Sidewalks - Enforcement?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any evidence that the city actually enforces this ordinance? Two days later, at least eight lots on my block haven't shoveled. Pedestrians are struggling. It's dangerous.

? 296-1.1. - Duties of owners or occupants of residential property; time for removal.
Every owner, occupant or person having charge of a residential building or vacant lot shall, in case of a snowfall, clear such snow from the sidewalks and gutters thereof to the extent of one foot outside the curb in front of the building or lot, as well as on the side thereof where the building or lot faces on more than one street, within eight hours after the snow has fallen. If the snow has fallen during the night, removal shall be finished within eight hours after sunrise.

Posted on: 2017/3/16 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
This is as good a place as any I guess...

drivers, when you're trying to get out of an icy spot, it's all about torque. This is not a speed issue. Low gear, most minimal pressure on accelerator possible, rock gently. Spinning the tires is only making it worse.

Posted on: 2017/3/16 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Tip ?..to get under the ice on a sidewalk I use a construction type square edge shovel with handle. You can get a good chop in or get down low right under the ice with it. It is better than a tall ice chopper.

PS ? I saw no ponies in my travels around Jersey City this morning. Sad.

Posted on: 2017/3/15 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I was driving around Journal Square area to Greenville. The a-holes shoveling out their cars and just throwing the boulders of ice into the street is amazing. I?m talking about major roadways like JFK Blvd, Broadway, and West Side. Bad news.

I agree a lot of sidewalks are solid ice in front of stores and houses, crosswalks are also bad.

Side walk along Lincoln Park on West Side is solid ice people are walking in the street.

The streets were slick this morning but now seem to be back to black top.

Posted on: 2017/3/15 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Report unshoveled sidewalks here:

https://en.seeclickfix.com/jersey-city

During a Snow Emergency:

Under City Ordinance, Chapter 296 - 1-6, residents are required to shovel snow and ice from the sidewalks surrounding their property within 8 hours of snowfall or by sunrise, whichever comes first

Under City Ordinance, Chapter 296 - 1-6, business owners are required to remove snow and ice from the sidewalks surrounding their property within 4 hours of snowfall or by sunrise, whichever comes first

If a property has not been cleared of snow or ice in a timely fashion, or if an individual is shoveling snow into the street, residents can contact OEM at 201-547-5566 or 201-547-5681

When shoveling snow, residents and business owners are asked to create a path wide enough for a stroller or wheelchair to get through. Anyone who does not shovel their sidewalk could receive a summons from the JCIA

If snow or ice has not been cleared within one to two days after the storm, please contact the Resident Response Center at 201-547- 4900.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/resident.aspx?id=12218

Posted on: 2017/3/15 13:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
How long after a snow storm do storefronts need to shovel?
Sugartown on jersey ave hasn't shoveled yet nor has the school past it.
A very icy walk this am. Be careful everyone

Posted on: 2017/3/15 12:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Having just walked to Journal Sq and back, PS 31 has done a horrible job cleaning the sidewalk on Kennedy. Its passable for just one person. Over at the Square, the meter parking/taxi stand next to Zip ave hasn't been touched. The sidewalk on Kennedy and Route 139 after the 7/11 has not been touched as well.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
On a purely practical level, the sidewalks around here are often so broken and uneven that bobcat would get wrecked. At least the homeowner knows the idiosyncrasies of his walk.

Interesting point.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
On a purely practical level, the sidewalks around here are often so broken and uneven that bobcat would get wrecked. At least the homeowner knows the idiosyncrasies of his walk.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mpwJC wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
What fantasy world do people live in where the government would properly enforce compliance of said laws?
Fair point.

It's totally fair to distrust either governments or less-responsible owners, especially since neither really does a great job of it in any city. But then what do you do?

That's why I think some combination of one backing up the other might be best.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 22:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/3 13:26
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
What fantasy world do people live in where the government would properly enforce compliance of said laws?
Fair point.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
While we're at it, I don't see why the government doesn't wipe my ass for me. Just another example of our car-biased culture.

I'm sure that the people demanding the government to shovel every sidewalk in the city would also be thrilled with the tax increase to do it. Plowing down a street is a fraction of the time and cost compared to doing sidewalks and walkways everywhere.

Is your ass public property?
my ass is a national treasure. It's on the list of Registered National Historic Landmarks.

On another note, frequently City Hall isn't even shovelled for a week, I don't trust the city government to come shovel my sidewalk for me.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

You could use this absurd logic to rationalize any action, no matter its effort or expense.

The fact is you are taking a legitimate issue (uncleared sidewalks) and transparently using it as a springboard to push some agenda against our "car-biased culture." Which unfortunately has clouded your thinking and rendered most of your post as emotionally fueled nonsense.

The simple, sober approach, without all the theatrics, is simply to petition the City to hand out more fines towards people who are not complying with the law.

I am absolutely relating it to favoritism toward driving, which it absolutely both partially stems from and concretely perpetuates.

But whatever, you're right, it is a legitimate issue on its own.

I agree with more fines, but that's probably not enough. Big, absentee owners?including some you might not expect, like churches?just absorb fines. What is, it, $110? That barely registers with some developer holding a vacant lot for future development.

That's why I think there needs to be some government backup, with billing to recoup the cost of the work.

This stuff needs to get done. It's a safety issue, not some pie-in-the-sky gummint program.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
While we're at it, I don't see why the government doesn't wipe my ass for me. Just another example of our car-biased culture.

I'm sure that the people demanding the government to shovel every sidewalk in the city would also be thrilled with the tax increase to do it. Plowing down a street is a fraction of the time and cost compared to doing sidewalks and walkways everywhere.

Is your ass public property?

Posted on: 2016/1/26 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

That's hilarious! I'm sure the elderly people slipping and breaking hips will see the humor.

You could use this absurd logic to rationalize any action, no matter its effort or expense.

The fact is you are taking a legitimate issue (uncleared sidewalks) and transparently using it as a springboard to push some agenda against our "car-biased culture." Which unfortunately has clouded your thinking and rendered most of your post as emotionally fueled nonsense.

The simple, sober approach, without all the theatrics, is simply to petition the City to hand out more fines towards people who are not complying with the law.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

That's hilarious! I'm sure the elderly people slipping and breaking hips will see the humor.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

I suppose there's some merit to what you say, but what about the fact that a car slipping out of control on an unplowed, icy street is much more a potential death machine than an individual slipping on a sidewalk. Both are safety issues, but cars slipping around on an un-cleared road pose a much greater threat to the general public. Hence the need for the government function. It would be nice if the government did both, but I suppose funds are limited.

A fair point, but here's a counterpoint: After a big snow, some of the damage those death machines most easily and most grievously cause is ... running down pedestrians who are walking in the road?because they have nowhere else to walk. Pedestrians are regularly found dead under piles of melting snow, often in places they wouldn't, and shouldn't, normally walk.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/1/26 21:50

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017