Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (mpwJC)




Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
#1
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Fulop isn't paying anything one way or the other. We are all paying for whatever happens at Loews as citizens of Jersey City.

Separate politics from this situation and consider whether FoL is the right group to maximize the potential of the theater. If you think they are, then I have to respectfully disagree, but that disagreement has absolutely nothing to do with the mayor or politics. I'm sure it is fun for some to see Fulop "lose" this battle, but from where I'm standing, it looks like very few people in JC are winning.

Posted on: 6/28 22:35
Top


Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
#2
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Someone should let Ben know that, so he can cancel his upcoming national tour. https://www.benfolds.com/tour-dates

You aren't supporting your argument well at all. Kings Theatre has ticket prices published for all of their upcoming events. The vast majority of them have tickets that are within a range that I would consider reasonable for a night of entertainment in a beautiful theater setting. Across the board these events are bigger draws and are better attended than basically anything that happens at the Loews in Jersey City.

You may be upset that you overpaid for your CSN tickets, but that doesn't change the fact that many other events at Kings are well under $100. It also doesn't change the fact that CSN, Ben Folds, and any other performer that could sell over 800 tickets will never come to Jersey City because the Loews is a smelly, hot, old building, desperately in need of a complete refurbishment that isn't coming.

-------

Edit: CSN tickets from 2 years ago were under $100 as well. Seems like you must have purchased from StubHub or another secondary market retailer/scalper. Scalpers are a whole different issue. https://www.crosbystillsnash.com/crosby,-stills-and-nash-announce-spring-2015-tour-dates-in-a.html

Posted on: 6/28 16:26
Top


Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
#3
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


If the Loews Jersey City were restored like the Kings Theatre in Brooklyn, it would have ticket prices in line with what performers who can fill 3,000 seat venues tend to charge. What is wrong with that? I clicked on a few upcoming concerts at the Kings Theatre, and ticket prices ranged from $40 to over $80. That is the going rate for national touring acts, and I don't think only "downtown people" can afford those prices.

I am thankful that White Eagle Hall was beautifully and professionally restored and is now announcing shows with some well-regarded national acts and charging market rates for those shows. WEH is only around an 800 person capacity, though, so it can only bring smaller acts to Jersey City. It would be great if Loews could give our market a high quality 3,000 person venue, but it looks like that is never going to happen. That is unfortunate.

Posted on: 6/28 9:14
Top


Re: Jersey City Drops Lawsuit Against the Friends of the Loews Jersey City Landmark Theatre
#4
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


I still don't see how this is better for Jersey City residents than the AEG deal that was blocked a few years ago. That deal would have led to $30 million in renovations and large national headlining acts coming to Jersey City. They were also set to have 40 community events annually.

Until Loews is fully renovated, promoters and artists will not be interested in making Jersey City a stop on their tours. Unless FOL and the city have a new plan to make that happen, I'm uninterested in whatever is going on at Loews. It is a waste of a beautiful old theatre to have nothing but sparsely attended local events and old films on the event schedule. I appreciate FOL for saving the theatre from demolition and keeping it alive to this point, but if Loews is ever going to reach its full potential, professionals will need to be involved.

Posted on: 6/14 10:27
Top


Re: what's the status of White Eagle Hall?
#5
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Quote:

new2jc wrote:
Here is a dumb question. What days will these most of these shows be and what times do they begin and end?
The current calendar has events spread throughout the week with showtimes between 7 and 9 pm. I'm guessing that end times will be dependent on the act, but maybe Heath can chime in whether there is a set curfew.

http://www.ticketfly.com/venue/15327-white-eagle-hall/

Posted on: 6/6 13:40
Top


Re: what's the status of White Eagle Hall?
#6
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


My call for indie rock/folk was answered. The Mountain Goats will be playing at White Eagle Hall on 11/9. Great addition, imo.

Posted on: 6/5 10:28
Top


Re: what's the status of White Eagle Hall?
#7
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Thanks for the update, Heath. I liked that you reached out to followers on Facebook and Instagram for band suggestions. Obviously that wasn't a scientific poll, but it was clear that JC residents (or at least your social media followers) have a wide range of musical tastes.

I'm personally hoping you can bring in some bluegrass, Americana, indie rock/folk, funk, and jam bands. Looking forward to watching the schedule grow.

Posted on: 6/2 12:12
Top


Re: Pizza dough
#8
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


We have bought dough from Porta in the past. I can't say for sure, but I think it was about $5.

Posted on: 5/16 9:41
Top


Re: what's the status of White Eagle Hall?
#9
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _open_with_local_fav.html

Nice to see that they got a legit talent booker - the same guy who books Webster Hall. I look forward to seeing what kind of acts they can bring to JC over the next year or so.

Posted on: 5/3 14:58
Top


Re: what's the status of White Eagle Hall?
#10
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


This article makes me hopeful that White Eagle Hall will bring some nationally and regionally touring acts to Jersey City. Monty Hall has done a nice job booking some surprisingly well known and well regarded bands, but a bigger venue (like White Eagle Hall) could do a lot for the live music scene here.

Quote FTA: "White Eagle Hall’s performance schedule is literally top secret at the moment – non-disclosure agreements have been signed and details cannot be released until a certain time -
which is extremely exciting. They promise a packed fall schedule that will slowly reveal itself this summer."

https://jerseydigs.com/white-eagle-hal ... -newark-avenue-reopening/

Posted on: 4/7 17:07
Top


Re: Storefronts not shoveled
#11
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Oasis of Salvation Church on Wayne St continues to never remove snow unless it snows on Sunday. I have submitted complaints over the last two years, and nothing ever happens.

Last year my wife was pregnant and had to struggle to walk to the PATH. This year we have to pick up and carry the stroller over the church's uncleared sidewalks. That church is the worst neighbor on my block.

Posted on: 3/16 15:28
Top


Re: Maternity ward at JCMC
#12
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Our daughter was born at JCMC last March. There was no car seat requirement. We put her in a bassinet stroller and walked home.

Posted on: 1/12 14:13
Top


Re: Trump Our New President
#13
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Saving 1,000 jobs is great, but it is a PR stunt more than anything. Carrier is still laying off a substantial number of employees in Indiana, and state tax incentives (care of Gov Pence) had to be offered to keep just some of the jobs in the US. I don't think Trump traveling the country and offering tax breaks to every company that wants to offshore is a sustainable plan.

I am glad that Trump/Pence managed to save a few jobs, but to act like previous presidents or the current president haven't protected American jobs is simply ridiculous. I'll just leave these links here as examples of what can happen when the government successfully intervenes to prop up and save an industry. Note that the job gains are in the 100s of thousands.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES3133600101?data_tool=XGtable
http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES4244100001?data_tool=XGtable

Posted on: 11/30 14:30
Top


Re: Trump Our New President
#14
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
Sexiness of First Ladies aside, Michelle Obama seemed to be a figure that all Americans, regardless of party, respected. Her passion to decrease childhood obesity contributed to that respect. I wonder what Melania's mission will be...


Lots of people called Michelle horrible things. So let's not be so quick to say all Americans respected her.

Melania has said her platform will be fighting cyber bullying, unless that has changed already.



She is an inarticulate moron who during one televised speech said "Ya Know" about 25 times after ending each sentence.

I'm sure the English department @ Princeton quickly tightened up their affirmative action quotas after hearing that.

Let's hear your accomplishments, you pathetic racist.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 10:33
Top


Re: 10/19/2016: Presidential Debate 3 (Las Vegas)
#15
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Your link is not helping you prove your point 135jc. Go ahead and re-read it. When new jobless claims are close to a 43 year low, a slight week-over-week increase is not proof of a poor job market or high job losses.

Click the 10Y or MAX button on this chart and you'll get a pretty good idea of where new unemployment claims are in 2016 compared to historical averages (hint: current numbers are very good).

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/jobless-claims

Posted on: 2016/10/20 15:18
Top


Re: 10/19/2016: Presidential Debate 3 (Las Vegas)
#16
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Republicans are the blame for this mess, they chose a horrible candidate and now they are butt hurt that nobody likes the candidate they chose. Get over it Clinton will be the 45th President of the United States.


You have it wrong. 8 yrs of nothing while we continue to lose jobs is the reason. Obama is at fault for Trump. His policies have moved people to elect Trump
bull....the us has not been losing jobsfor some time...siome sectors continue to lose jobs, but not most jobs.


Have you seen the latest job reports? Don't forget an unprecedented near zero interest rates for many yrs.
Here is the BLS table for monthly change in total nonfarm employees. There hasn't been a single month of job loss since September 2010. From 10/2010 through 09/2016, 14.375 million jobs have been added, an average of 200k jobs per month.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001?output_view=net_1mth

**edited "and"/"an" typo

Posted on: 2016/10/20 13:59
Top


Re: Control of the Internet now given to the UN
#17
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


This summary posted to Reddit does a pretty good job explaining what actually happened with regard to the ICANN transition. Before assuming that the sky is falling, everyone should read it and get a grasp of reality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeim ... y?st=itu87qhp&sh=e429d31e

Posted on: 2016/10/3 11:45
Top


Re: Jersey City circus ban given final OK
#18
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Circus animals today are breed, they cannot be released into the wild. These animals cost money to feed, there are also veterinarian bills. If these animals cannot produce economically, then they would be destroyed.
If circus animals stop producing economically due to laws like this one, then the breeding of circus animals will slowly fade from existence. Problem solved.

Posted on: 2016/9/15 14:17
Top


Re: Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
#19
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


If you don't like this kind of bar, don't be a patron of it. If enough people do the same, the bar will close, and maybe something that is more in line with your vision of positive change will replace it.

The way I see it, these people are investing in Jersey City in the way that they see fit. You are free to invest in Jersey City in your own ways. The market will decide who wins.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 12:26
Top


Re: Yvonne Outdoes Herself - Transgender Bathroom Editorial
#20
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is amazing how users here are against the safety of children. Yes, non-transgender men will take advantage of laws. They are not stupid. Anyone who supports this is cooperating with evil. No matter how you justify your reason, young girls will be victims.


Anyone who supports the Catholic Church is cooperating with evil, then.


The sex abuse was wrong and I am delighted the priests was caught. However, everyone talked about the church but no one talked about the gay priests sexually assaulting boys. That is the elephant in the room that was not discussed by the media. I am so happy those priests are in jail and not in the priesthood.
The priests were pedophiles and predators, not homosexuals. There is a difference. The fact that you want to call out "gay priests" as the main issue in that story only further exposes your bigotry (as if it weren't already clear as day).

The church was the focus of those stories because some of those in power within one of the most influential organizations in the entire world were covering up rampant and widespread sexual abuse against children. There is no elephant in the room, and anyone with half a damn brain realizes that the media focused on the church because the church was largely at fault.

Posted on: 2016/4/27 23:17
Top


Re: Yvonne Outdoes Herself - Transgender Bathroom Editorial
#21
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Yvonne, I am sure you realize that young boys are molested as well. Should men be banned from men's restrooms, so that they won't rape young boys? Seems like the easiest fix here, if we want to prevent all rapes, is to only allow men to use bathrooms in their own homes.

I just don't follow the logic of your argument, Yvonne. Rape and sexual molestation are both illegal in all places, including public restrooms. Changing the sign on the bathroom door is not going to allow or prevent crimes.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 10:29
Top


Re: NYT "The Hunt" Land a job in JC? Move to LIC!
#22
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Gotta love how they increase their budget from $4,000/month to the low $5,000s, and their realtor immediately shows them an apartment listed at $6,295. The realtor could smell their stupidity from a mile away.

Posted on: 2016/3/19 20:28
Top


Re: what's the status of White Eagle Hall?
#23
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


There is nothing I want more than a decent sized concert venue in Jersey City. With White Eagle Hall constantly delayed and the Loews likely never to be renovated to the grandeur that it (and we) deserve, I don't have high hopes.

Posted on: 2016/2/18 15:00
Top


Re: Hoboken is rejecting bike lanes
#24
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Just because you own and run a business doesn't mean you actually know what is going to be best. Research has show, repeatedly, that making it easier for bikes and pedestrians is better for business.


Thank you for so eloquently describing the paternalism embodied behind most "progressive" policies.

Who cares if you own a business? I know how to run it better than you. This is for your own good.
This is a ridiculous response, but that is not surprising by a partisan hack such as yourself. The article isn't about government telling business owners how to run their business. It is about a local government making decisions for local roads/sidewalks/etc, which is fully within their domain. Try to stay on topic.

Posted on: 2016/2/9 18:32
Top


Re: Storefronts not shoveled
#25
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
What fantasy world do people live in where the government would properly enforce compliance of said laws?
Fair point.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 17:52
Top


Re: Storefronts not shoveled
#26
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


What fantasy world do people live in where the government would do a better job shoveling sidewalks than the people who live with the sidewalk in front of their home? The main walkways would be shoveled long before any residential streets. Looking into the Ottawa situation, it appears that a lot of home owners still shovel their own walkways due to this timing.

I'm not going to wait around for the shovel crew to come past my building so that I can walk down the stairs and to the store. Give me a break.

I'd more likely be in favor of increased fines for people and businesses that don't shovel. Maybe that could help finance an auxiliary city team of shovelers that could take care of the sidewalks that owners neglected.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 16:26
Top


Re: Storefronts not shoveled
#27
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Oasis of Salvation Church did a terrible job clearing their sidewalks last year, and it seems to be continuing this year.

On Sunday, they shoveled to the point that there was still a couple inches of hard packed snow remaining. I really hope that it melts today, because it will be a slippery mess once it starts raining.

I will be submitting requests to the JC online help center each time there is snow this year. It is bad enough that this place doesn't pay taxes, but they can at least try to be as considerate as all the other neighbors on Wayne St who cleared their sidewalks on Sunday.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 13:11
Top


Re: Broad daylight shooting in Greenville today
#28
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The man who was shot has passed. 5th murder in JC in 12 days. Fulop still silent, I guess someone will need to get whacked in Newport to get him to pipe up.
How would you like Fulop to address the situation? As far as I know, Jersey City has been expanding its police force, which seems like a pretty rational response to increased violent crime. I highly doubt the people involved in the shootings would be affected by a mayoral press conference, but I guess it is possible.

Posted on: 2015/11/23 17:39
Top


Re: Chick-fil-A, on the way!
#29
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I laughed when I read the food is unhealthy. The founder, S. Truett Cathy, died at 93. I guess he consumed his product at least for a number of years.
This does nothing to change the fact that it is scientifically proven that unhealthy diets lead to shorter life spans on average. You can also point to plenty of people who drank alcohol and smoked cigarettes until the day they died, but it doesn't change the evidence that putting garbage into the human body damages the body and can lead to disease/obesity/death.

Laughing at someone calling Chick Fil A unhealthy makes you sound foolish and uninformed. The Chick Fil A founder living a long life doesn't discount the fact that plenty of people who regularly consumed deep fried fast food died from heart disease, diabetes, and various other ailments brought on by that kind of diet. I'd bet there are a lot more of those people than the kind whose genetics overcame their poor habits.

Posted on: 2015/11/3 12:39
Top


Re: Thirty Acres Restaurant- Jersey Avenue
#30
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Kitchen Step sounds good to me. Although it is an expensive night out, I have always enjoyed Battello, and I'm sure the location adds a lot to the price. Since they are saying that the Kitchen Step menu will be more affordable, I look forward to trying it out. Sounds like it will be a good addition to the neighborhood, and it is definitely better than another pizza place.

Posted on: 2015/10/16 17:02
Top



TopTop
(1) 2 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017