Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City 5-year-old girl struck by motorcycle in hit-and-run, cops say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
At Columbus and Grove there is a green turn arrow for cars and simultaneous red for pedestrians. I was given a finger and called names when I pointed it out from my car to a pedestrian walking on red, preventing my turn on green arrow. Clearly, the problem lies BOTH in jaywalking and unsafe driving.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
If you drive on Grand St near Jersey Avenue, you will notice the bus stop is near the middle of the block. Anyone who wants to catch the bus will cross the street in the middle of the block, not the crosswalk to take the bus. People do what is convenient. Whether a driver or pedestrian, you must watch the various street patterns, sorry I don't buy the talk of crosswalks only.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
1. On other threads people had been complaining about speed and running stop signs - it's often a topic with listers
2. We had a JClister stating they had sped through neighborhood streets
3. The JClister also said the police pulled him over for failing to give way to pedestrians (mother and child) - thus suggesting it wasn't at a traffic controlled crossing.
4 The JClister said the cops were wrong and the pedestrians were in the wrong.
5. The speed mentioned was crap - nobody looks at their speedo when focusing on avoiding a hazardous situation.
6. Another lister jumps in to acknowledge that the speeding lister is very safe and cautious - My mother thinks I'm wonderful too, as do all criminals in prison!
7. No-one claimed ALL JClister's are full of siht - however some are not only full of siht, but also suffer from some sort personality disorder.
8. I like how the use of 'spawn' was noted to describe a child - I've only heard the use of 'spawn' in a negative derogatory tone, but that could only be in my circle of friends and with some that have a dislike of children!

Posted on: 2015/7/3 10:08

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/7/3 10:32:15
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/7/3 10:32:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Didn't we have someone just admit to speeding in our neighborhood and nearly collecting a mother and child?

Nope. Not at all. Where exactly did I say I nearly collided with the crazy mom and her spawn? What I did say is that I was able to slow down enough to not come too close to them. I didn't even to come to a full stop, because I saw her charge onto the street, so I moved over one lane and slowed down, so I needed passing them with their backs turned to me, as she simply continued playing Frogger with the rest of the cars barreling down Merseles. But, yeah, cool story bro.

BTW, don't forget to take your meds tomorrow.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 5:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I was cruising along at about 30 MPH (yes, a few miles above the speed limit of 25 MPH)

What's the point? I always think back to that evening and marvel at the lack of consciousness of that mother, who risked her life AND that of her child, to run across a heavily trafficked stretch of road that consists of four lanes, in reduced visibility conditions (evening) and didn't seem to care much about the whole thing. Luckily, I was able to slow down enough to not come too close to them,

The mother and child would have made it across safely if people didn't speed - 5 MPH is a lot when it comes to stopping distance - I love your blame theory yet your speed was the main factor of the near accident - Being self-righteous is habit forming for you!!!

Resized Image

Never fails... you are SUCH an idiot. You are now defending the reprehensible behavior of an irresponsible mother who CHOSE to jaywalk against the traffic light, while pulling along a small child by the hand, at night, on what is a very busy road. The difference in stopping distances between 25 MPH and 30 MPH (for a motorcycle) is 15 feet, for the record. And, it could be much less if the driver is very aware of his surrounding and is expecting to have to come to a sudden at any moment, so he would be riding at the proper gear.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 5:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Yvonne, see the part where it says "except at crosswalks where the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals."

And the part "but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the part of a vehicle which is so close it is impossible for the driver to yield."

I guess we now know that Yvonne also lacks reading comprehension skills.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 5:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Interesting - it wasn't all the long ago JClisters complaining how motorists (bikes and cars) were running stop signs and speeding in residential streets ... yet some always want to blame some-one else's actions then their own ... isn't that being self-righteous?

Didn't we have someone just admit to speeding in our neighborhood and nearly collecting a mother and child?

We have some consistent 'buck passing' going on to justify illegal behavior or accountability issues

Are you saying people on JCList are full of shit and have always been full of shit? You're risking a ban, big guy.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Guys -re-read the link in the OP. The kid was hit by a turning motorcycle. Can't be any dispute that the motorcycle was in the wrong.

Quote:

The girl and her mom were crossing Sip Avenue at Kennedy Boulevard at 10:35 p.m. when the motorcyclist turned west onto Sip Avenue, striking her with the side of the bike.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting - it wasn't all the long ago JClisters complaining how motorists (bikes and cars) were running stop signs and speeding in residential streets ... yet some always want to blame some-one else's actions then their own ... isn't that being self-righteous?

We have some consistent 'buck passing' going on to justify illegal behavior or accountability issues

Posted on: 2015/7/3 1:00
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have noticed people crossing the street glued to their cell phones. They don't look so the driver must do double duty. The rules are not fair but you must look out for them.

Where in this thread has a single person objected to the rules? Some of us simply want the pedestrians to be held to them as well as drivers. The DO NOT have right of way if they have a red light or a DO NOT WALK signal.

I's also love to see some enforcement of turn lanes as mentioned. I've frequently seen JC school buses abuse them, and you know they weren't taken by surprise at being in a turn lane. A cop could issue tickets as fast as he could write them at Monmouth & Columbus.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
All I can say is I agree with absolutely every post on this thread. And as a motorcycle (now mopeds) rider for more than 40 years, I've had a couple of close calls with stupid pedestrians and kids running out into the street. Sad that it happened, and I have no idea who's really at fault, but it's still pretty shi**y that the biker took off...

Posted on: 2015/7/3 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have noticed people crossing the street glued to their cell phones. They don't look so the driver must do double duty. The rules are not fair but you must look out for them.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Bodipooh is a very careful and considerate motorcycle owner, but he's in a minority in JC. Tonight we had about four encounters with JC bikers zipping between lanes, moving to a turning lane only to zoom straight when the light changed, but the best was the idiot who made a lane to our right in McGinley Square and then stalled his bike when he tried to out gun us! I could only laugh at him.

JC pedestrians are just as bad-the 11 (yes, I counted them) slowly sauntering west on Communipaw at JFK throughout the entire time the eastbound Communipaw drivers had the 'green left' arrow-not a single car got through while the idiots walked against the 'red hand' signal. And they fbombed the drivers who honked at them. It's a total clusterf--k out there.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Well I guess we will never know the whole story because the scumbag motorcyclist fled.

I suspect there is a lot of wrong in the entire incident and it is unfortunate that the kid ends up suffering for it. I wish her well.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The mother and child would have made it across safely if people didn't speed - 5 MPH is a lot when it comes to stopping distance - I love your blame theory yet your speed was the main factor of the near accident - Being self-righteous is habit forming for you!!!

Bullshit. They jaywalked, and should have been the ones given a warning, if not ticketed. I've also been amazed at people pushing their strollers or dragging their children into traffic against a light. Too often around here pedestrians and drivers believe the right of way belongs to whoever can make you screech to a stop.

I see the same thing frequently as well, plus while dragging their young ones they are chatting on their cell phone or even texting. If I ever witness an accident with this going on I will be the first to offer my statement on behalf of the driver.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 0:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Bullshit. They jaywalked, and should have been the ones given a warning, if not ticketed. I've also been amazed at people pushing their strollers or dragging their children into traffic against a light. Too often around here pedestrians and drivers believe the right of way belongs to whoever can make you screech to a stop.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I was cruising along at about 30 MPH (yes, a few miles above the speed limit of 25 MPH)

What's the point? I always think back to that evening and marvel at the lack of consciousness of that mother, who risked her life AND that of her child, to run across a heavily trafficked stretch of road that consists of four lanes, in reduced visibility conditions (evening) and didn't seem to care much about the whole thing. Luckily, I was able to slow down enough to not come too close to them,

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/2 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, see the part where it says "except at crosswalks where the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals."

And the part "but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the part of a vehicle which is so close it is impossible for the driver to yield."

Posted on: 2015/7/2 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pedestrians have the right of way in a marked crossway.
NEW JERSEY STATUTE 39:4-36
Driver to stop for pedestrian:
exceptions, violations. penalties.

A. The driver of a vehicle must stop and stay stopped for a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk, but shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except at crosswalks when the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals, or where otherwise prohibited by municipal, county, or State regulation, and except where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided, but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

Whenever any vehicle is stopped to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

Every pedestrian upon a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

B. A person violating this section shall, upon conviction thereof, pay a fine to be imposed by the court in the amount of $200. The court may also impose a term of community service not to exceed 15 days.

C. Of each fine imposed and collected pursuant to subsection B. of the section, $100 shall be forwarded to the State Treasurer who shall annually deposit the moneys into the ?Pedestrian Safety Enforcement and Education Fund? created by section 1 of PL 2005, c 84 (C.39:4-36.2)

Posted on: 2015/7/2 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

plnj wrote:
I wonder if the motorcycle wasnt loud enough. All motorcycle should be louder for this reason

I don't know a THING about this incident, but your post is prompting me to relate a story from last year.

I was coming home one night riding my motorcycle, and I was on Merseles, heading to Pacific, and the light at the intersection with Montgomery was lit green on my favor. I was cruising along at about 30 MPH (yes, a few miles above the speed limit of 25 MPH) and I was approaching the intersection when a mother decided to RUN ACROSS Merseles, while pulling along a kid no older than 5. This was just past dusk (early evening) and I honked at them. Well, what do you know? An undercover team was a few feet behind me and they pulled me over. The officer (incorrectly) told me that pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way, even at a controlled intersection with traffic lights, to which I politely disagreed, then nodded along as he told me I was on the wrong. He checked my papers, and allowed me to continue on my way with a stern warning and all that.

What's the point? I always think back to that evening and marvel at the lack of consciousness of that mother, who risked her life AND that of her child, to run across a heavily trafficked stretch of road that consists of four lanes, in reduced visibility conditions (evening) and didn't seem to care much about the whole thing. Luckily, I was able to slow down enough to not come too close to them, and I didn't get ticketed by the overly ambitious officer, but it was not a pleasant way to end my evening. Without knowing anything about this incident, I wonder if something similar was at play. Namely, did this mother gamble by trying to outrun traffic and perhaps miscalculated? It's a shame that a kid is now injured, and (of course) there is NO EXCUSE for the motorcyclist to continue on and flee.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 22:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if the motorcycle wasnt loud enough. All motorcycle should be louder for this reason

Posted on: 2015/7/2 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Here I go just asking to be flamed for cultural insensitivity: What was the 5 year old doing out for a walk rather than home in bed at 10:35 pm? Even with a nap a 5 year old needs more sleep than that, and most kids that age don't nap. I'm sure people will come up with a scenario like mom picking her up from a caregiver after finishing her shift, but I see people with their little kids out at all hours and I just don't get it.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No less than a few days ago was another hit and run of a child. This is so sad. :(

Posted on: 2015/7/2 20:22

Jersey City 5-year-old girl struck by motorcycle in hit-and-run, cops say
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Amanda Eisenberg | The Jersey Journal

A 5-year-old Jersey City girl crossing a busy Jersey City intersection with her mother was struck by a motorcyclist who then fled Tuesday, Jersey City police said.

Story

Posted on: 2015/7/2 20:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017