Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
50 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 50

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: No affordable homes in jersey city... Mercer loop anyone?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
SHAM,

Just sent you a private message.

Posted on: 2015/5/12 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I just moved to the West Side off Kennedy by lincoln park and it is really nice, affordable and convenient to the Path. I have only walked once to the Path so far, i ride my bike every day, and it took about 15 minutes(I walk fast bc google says 20 minutes). My bike ride takes about 8 minutes. Honestly, it has only added 5 minutes to my commute from Dixon Mills to by Bowling Green.

In the winter, when it's really cold i'll probably just take the bus but i did the same thing at Dixon Mills when there was a shuttle bc i was lazy and cold.

I love it. It's quiet, my neighbors are really nice and welcoming, i have a backyard and a driveway, and it's awesome to have a house that doesn't touch other people.

I looked at Mercer Loop. There wasn't anything there at the time but I would have considered it. I ended up in an old Victorian so I got the best of both worlds. The prices may have not risen much in the last 10 years but downtown is bonkers expensive and people have moved to wanting walkable living and urban environments. There is no way that this won't increase the values of the houses that are within a mile of a path station.

The change in these areas over the last 7 years has been amazing.

Posted on: 2015/5/12 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yes jump - away. About 290k in 2005. Less in 2015.

http://www.trulia.com/property/316498 ... -Ave-Jersey-City-NJ-07306

And you thought you were a player.......

Posted on: 2015/5/12 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Jump b4 too late. -

house

Yes jump - away. About 290k in 2005. Less in 2015.

http://www.trulia.com/property/316498 ... -Ave-Jersey-City-NJ-07306

Posted on: 2015/5/12 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Jump b4 too late. -

house

Posted on: 2015/5/12 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Marion-Jersey-City-NJ.html

Tough call. Given it's proximity to little India and St Peters I'd say there will always be strong rental demand. But prices haven't moved in 10 years in 07306 - so not the best JC investment.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What are the thoughts on where Marion section fits in compared to Heights/Bergen Hill/Bergen Lafayette?

Not as scary as Greenville, much of it walkable to Journal Square, and prices still seems cheap.

A bargain or a bust?

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 23:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/2 20:56
From Jersey City. Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Its 92 Astor Place going on the market 3/31. Not 69. My mistake.

Quote:

ZippyJC wrote:
We moved to Astor Place last summer. We also were priced out downtown. I love the area and the parking is easy. The 87 bus runs pretty well to/from JSQ. Monticello has a long way to go but the potential is high. Wonder Bagels just opened near us. When we come home late at night, we use Uber because the cabs at JSQ are horrible. The 20 min walk to JSQ is nice in good weather.

FYI, there are 2 units being renovated on Astor Place. 69 Astor is supposed to go on sale for 399k any day now.

Posted on: 2015/3/29 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

asnadkarni2012 wrote:
I know there's some powerful Heights hate on JCList, though!

Only from the math impaired.

I've been called a "heights basher bar none" on other posts, and I did pretty good in math. What "math" are you talking about, exactly - pure mathematics or applied mathematics?

I'm not sure you can apply a "formula" that will explain whether anyone will take to a neighborhood, but but my calculations 87+123 /5(jitneys)+10 minute walk {light rail} - 30 minute walk {Hoboken} / $10 {cab ride} = you are a long way from everything.

The math I speak of is the one you used to end up in the Heights: what you get for your money. Some people do prefer a small expensive place in a "better" neighborhood, whether that's DTJC or Chelsea. But it seems lot of people are making the calculation that they can have a place they can afford that's big enough for a family and still a short commute from Manhattan. Whether that's in user1111's Greenville or JSQ or the Heights is not really the point. That distinction is a matter of taste, whether your personal calculation prioritizes parks over PATH, buses over HBLR, or whatever.

I'm sure all of us are sympathetic that you're miserable with your choice, but anecdotally you seem to be an outlier.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am no Heights hater, I love all of JC. The Heights just does not work for me, I work way Downtown NYC and it can take over an hour to get to Lower Manhattan, and I just can't afford that kind of time. My commute to WTC is 20 min. I guess if you working in midtown, The Heights would be a great option.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

asnadkarni2012 wrote:

I've been called a "heights basher bar none" on other posts, and I did pretty good in math. What "math" are you talking about, exactly - pure mathematics or applied mathematics?

I'm not sure you can apply a "formula" that will explain whether anyone will take to a neighborhood, but but my calculations 87+123 /5(jitneys)+10 minute walk {light rail} - 30 minute walk {Hoboken} / $10 {cab ride} = you are a long way from everything.

To the OP - best of luck with your house search!

Posted on: 2015/3/27 14:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/10 23:57
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I think it's a vocal minority that poo poos the Heights. Heights is fine and pretty safe. It's getting a steady infusion of new people and if you look on the map, it's only a mile or so away from downtown or Path. It's not like it's in another township like Edgewater or something. I think some people's description are a tad hyperbolic. Right now Journal Square has the most buzz, and that's probably a good bet, real estate wise. Good luck.

Posted on: 2015/3/27 10:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

asnadkarni2012 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/3/26 22:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 20:45
From Riverview Fisk
Group:
Registered Users
We live in front of Riverview Park in the Heights. It's a 15 minute 87 bus ride to the Hoboken PATH in winters, just under a 20 minute walk to Hoboken PATH (1 mile) in summers, or I take a direct jitney to PABT in about 15/20 minutes depending on the traffic. The transport options I avoid are 123-basically 87 or the jitney is just faster on the way in-and Light Rail, because walking to LR and taking it ends up slower than just walking to the PATH or rolling out of bed and opening my front door to the 87 bus. 123 is fine on the way out, back into JC, though.

The trash situation on Palisade is unforgivable but otherwise the community is really nice and the homes are gorgeous (usually on the inside, ignore the ones that still have the terrible siding!). In terms of night life etc, we're more likely to go down to Hoboken to eat out or hang out than we are to head over to downtown JC.

We Uber or Lyft it back from Hoboken PATH if we're out late in NYC.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 21:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/2 20:56
From Jersey City. Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
We moved to Astor Place last summer. We also were priced out downtown. I love the area and the parking is easy. The 87 bus runs pretty well to/from JSQ. Monticello has a long way to go but the potential is high. Wonder Bagels just opened near us. When we come home late at night, we use Uber because the cabs at JSQ are horrible. The 20 min walk to JSQ is nice in good weather.

FYI, there are 2 units being renovated on Astor Place. 69 Astor is supposed to go on sale for 399k any day now.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 18:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Jordan Ave (for 10 yrs now) and love it. Don't let the prettiness factor turn you away. Many immigrant families live there and mostly everyone just keeps to themselves. Barely ever do I hear about crime in this area and it is extremely quiet at night. You can park on your street almost every night. My car has not been fbroken into once in 10 years. When I lived downtown on Sussex Street, my old Honda was broken into 12 times in 4 years! Prices are still really really cheap, so get in while you can!

Posted on: 2015/3/26 16:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/23 1:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Another vote for McGinley Sq/JSQ. Husband lived downtown for 12 years, we were priced out of downtown by the time we were ready to buy. Finally found a row house on Astor Pl, and absolutely love it. It's a 20 min walk to the subway, so this is the farthest we'd be willing to go, but there are some great places for less than $500, all closer than Astor Pl to JSQ. Island/Hilltop is a little pricier but less than 10 min walk; great neighborhood, though. If we could have found something there, we would have bought there. Love, love Astor Pl though.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 5:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Last year I bought a property on Center St following exact same logic. Even though it's on the sunny side of 78, everything about Mercer Loop would apply.

The area is changing rapidly. Mostly populated by lower?mid class home owners (very few renters). In one year time, I don't recall any muggings, home invasions, or any other criminal incidents. There is not much foot traffic, but it is counter?balanced with plentiful car traffic. We have formidable policy presense because of proximity to the high school and the turnpike.

What you should be really concerned is the flood possibility and the trash from McDonald. Good luck.

Posted on: 2015/3/26 3:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 2:03
From downtown jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, really appreciate all the helpful feedback here. It's a good point that the path trains will be totally full at grove st in a few years. We'll give journal square some thought-that might be the more practical way to go.

Posted on: 2015/3/25 22:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 2:03
From downtown jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks we will take a look at that!

Posted on: 2015/3/24 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with other posters that JSQ would be a good investment. If your heart is set on a 2br/2bth under $700k in DTJC have you looked at 700 Grove? There are a few places for sale in that range.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with other posters. Journal Square or McGinley Square are much better bets. Granted, they're both a little sketchy now, but that beautiful building stock around Journal Square is going to gentrify fast. It's about 4 minutes from JSQ to Grove on the train, and I've walked down the hill from JSQ to downtown plenty of times - it's barely a mile.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Wait - are even pre-war brownstone walk-up type 2-beds above $700K now? WOW!

Just a thought - have you looked into the Dixon Mills apartments? They seem to be cheaper than regular JCDT stock, although I've heard vermin/construction issues in the past (???).

Just figure I'd throw this out there...

Posted on: 2015/3/24 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Since the question is about the safety of Mercer Loop, I?d say that it really depends on your sensitivities. Across Montgomery is some low-income housing. Then you have some garden apartments/low income setup off Freemont and Bright. There is also the welfare office located off Cornelison, which is rather close, though not something drawing a crowd at night.

There was also the issue last year where a shooting took place at the Muslim Federation right at the corner of Montgomery and Florence. It was more of a gang hit where an individual was targeted with disregard for civilians.

None of what I wrote above proves/disproves whether the area is safe. I just wanted to give an idea of certain surrounding points.

I?ve not walked up Wayne in the area, only Montgomery. I had never had a problem. It?s a little devoid of people when you walk west on Christopher and hit 78. Sometimes the lack of a population is more frightening than a group. Montgomery would be the busier street to walk on, but you?re adding distance and time to the trip.

My best suggestion is to travel the area at night. Depending upon how soon you are looking to buy and if you need a bid in, I?d suggest waiting a little for warmer weather to hit at night and then take a trip around there in the evening. Have a couple people with you and take the walk around. Nothing will happen, but you?ll get a sense of whether you feel good about being in the area alone.

Having said that? you?d cut your commute to the PATH train simply going up the hill further to McGinley Square. The prices would be about the same and you?d be a little closer to some solid food options that are walkable. Additionally, I can confidently state that the walk to and from the PATH would be just fine late at night.

It is true that you?d be leaving the downtown, but Mercer Loop is sort of stuck in between. You?ve not traveled up the hill but you?re still rather removed from the vibrancy of Downtown.

If you look around Journal Square, you?ll be even closer to the PATH and you?ll likely get a seat going to work.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 19:27
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

shams wrote:
Thanks, we have a pretty far commute to work so are really trying to live within walking distance to the path. That mercer loop area is under 20 minutes walking distance to grove street, so seems like a decent option. Just wanted to see how safe it was and if anyone has any thoughts on the neighborhood. thanks!

Once the 25,000+ new apartments in DTJC are completed, the overcrowding on the PATH may become intolerable. You'd avoid the worst if you got on at JSQ.

Also, I think property values there will rise the fastest as it is the next area targeted for gentrification. May want to look around and see if you like what you see.

I agree. And there are lots of nice apartments still available around here if you get in now. This one looks really nice and spacious, and it's in the Hague, which is beautiful pre-war building at Duncan and JFK. Just a 10 minute walk to the JSQ PATH down JFK, and it's a 5 minute/$5.00 cab ride if you're late coming home. Also, the bus from PABT stops right at the corner.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
The St. John's complex is a 5 to 10 minutes walk to the PATH.
http://www.sacksrealtyonline.com/

Posted on: 2015/3/24 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
you really should explore the heights. it is quick walk to hoboken, jsq path as well as port authority bus terminal

Posted on: 2015/3/24 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

shams wrote:
Thanks, we have a pretty far commute to work so are really trying to live within walking distance to the path. That mercer loop area is under 20 minutes walking distance to grove street, so seems like a decent option. Just wanted to see how safe it was and if anyone has any thoughts on the neighborhood. thanks!

20 minutes walking to the Heights from Journal Sq PATH will take you as far as Manhattan Ave, plenty of nice blocks below there, nicer than Mercer Loop anyway.

Or a 20 min walk from the top of the 100 steps (Heights) to Hoboken Path.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

shams wrote:

20 minutes walking to the Heights from Journal Sq PATH will take you as far as Manhattan Ave, plenty of nice blocks below there, nicer than Mercer Loop anyway.

You could be living here, 3 beds 2 baths 1,601 sqft $560k: http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/ ... _zpid/60644_rid/40.739406,-74.04789,40.738068,-74.050347_rect/18_zm/0_mmm/
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/3/24 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shams wrote:

Once the 25,000+ new apartments in DTJC are completed, the overcrowding on the PATH may become intolerable. You'd avoid the worst if you got on at JSQ.

Also, I think property values there will rise the fastest as it is the next area targeted for gentrification. May want to look around and see if you like what you see.

Posted on: 2015/3/24 18:16

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017