Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hoboken ranked top hipster city in the U.S.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
JC can't be far behind, if seeing a booth selling beard oil and mustache wax-2 for $40-at Pacific Flea yesterday!

Posted on: 2015/5/10 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.

creative analytical thinking abilities? LOL

Dorks from Ohio who move to cool urban cities and pay higher rent than the locals.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
fratboy capitol maybe.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/fas ... dern-day-yuppie.html?_r=0

not worth a new thread, but a chuckle for a Sunday morning over your latte.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 12:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:44
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Totally agree Bodhipoo, I cannot believe there are so many adults that think its so cool to be like everyone else. I also notice this situation in JC with everyone looking alike. When I go to spots such as Barcade, Porta, Left Bank, Luckys, etc I look around and laugh at the amount of guys and girls all wearing almost identical plaid shirts, eye glasses, and hair cuts/beards. Wonder if they are actual hipsters or wanna be hipsters lol. Either way, embarrassing

Posted on: 2015/3/21 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
This is the dumbest article Ive read in a while. I dont remember seeing one hipster last time I went. Its 90% bro/douche with a few other subcultures sprinkled in. Definitely NOT hipster. I guess you can pretty much print whatever you want and no one can really argue when you use something as undefinable as "hipster" as your subject. lame.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 12:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
The past couple years, it seems there has been a growing group of websites that publish these surveys about different aspects of citiies acrosss the country.

Sometimes the results ring true, but often they seem horribly false. Hoboken... ?hipster? - really?
Not too long ago, I recall compteting ?JC is among the best for health and fitness? and ?JC is among the worst for health and fitness? articles/threads around the same time.

The outfits that produce these pieces clearly aren?t employing anyone with experience or judgement to make sure their stuff passes the sniff test before they hit the publish button.

I work at a news-oriented online company, and frankly am embarrassed that these surveys get picked up and promoted by local media - which puts them in front of a wider audience. I am embarrassed that we are talking about this particular ridiculous survey on JCList.

I?m going to ?vote with my feet? and not look at these threads and articles anymore. I?d like to see them die on the vine. Hopefully the resources behind them can be put towards something more interesting and productive.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 4:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
hoboken is full of hipsters, while jersey city is full of dumpsters.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
With all its St Patrick activities, Fauxboken really needs to be called the best Hickupster town in America.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken ranked top hip bratster city in the U.S.

Posted on: 2015/3/20 0:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken hasn't been "hip" since about 1996 or so.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I've been to Williamsburg, it's like walking on to a casting-call for a remake of 'The Stepford Wives', except with zombified 20-something rich white guys in bow ties instead of rich white housewives in pearls...

This. The last time I went to Williamsburg to meet some friends, I left shaking my head. It is almost embarrassingly pathetic how EVERY 20 and 30-something in Williamsburg looks essentially the same. It is as if you are handed a uniform to wear the moment you move there. Do they not perceive the irony in all that: they value "uniqueness" and individualism above all, yet they all look the same, wear the same clothes, in the same style, and profess the same likes and dislikes. What's unique and so individualistic about that???

Posted on: 2015/3/19 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
This was a silly, irritating article, even more so now that I've seen the methodology behind it. While I am not a hipster, I know one when I see one - something I learned the hard way as I nearly get run over by them all the time flying off the Brooklyn Bridge as I walk to work in the morning! Hoboken is not a hipster mecca - SUVs and sports jerseys outnumber fixies and thrift shop tees, what, 100 to 1?

Anyway, do we aspire to Hoboken, or worse, Jersey City, actually becoming hipster central? I've been to Williamsburg, it's like walking on to a casting-call for a remake of 'The Stepford Wives', except with zombified 20-something rich white guys in bow ties instead of rich white housewives in pearls...

Posted on: 2015/3/19 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken actually used to have a lot of hipstery types, even into the early 2000s. Remember, Maxwell's was really a community staple and drew people to Hoboken. Nowadays it's a completely different vibe. Very fratty/broey yes, but also very stroller-centric.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
hipsters and yuppies are not the same thing, article writers

Posted on: 2015/3/19 5:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Opening a Yoga studio seems to be the route many 30 and 40 something mommies take once their kids are in Grammar school. I don't associate Yoga with hipsters at all. Hoboken has tons of Wall Street D-Bags and tons of ambitious women who are looking to tie them down. It's a graveyard for Frat-boys and the like who cannot come to grips with the fact that High School and College are over. It does have the best mozzarella cheese anywhere though. (Vito's)

Posted on: 2015/3/19 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.

Hoboken is full of jocks and aged out cheerleaders. but for now they are hipsters.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It's just another one of those artifacts due to our small cities in Hudson County. For parochial political reasons we never had the consolidation that created modern NYC, LA and many other cities. Most other places Hoboken would, and probably should, just be one neighborhood of a larger city. If you could slice out a Mile Sq in SF, Brooklyn or Portland I'm sure they would beat Hoboken in the demographics. You could probably find several in each. A "real" small city with under 100k could never sustain the demographics Hoboken does in the shadow of NYC.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I think if they switch out "cafes and yoga studios" in the formula with pizzerias, JC would do really well.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 17:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/17 17:31
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the criteria they used:

"We first decided to only look at cities with over 50,000 people that also had a high population of people between the ages of 20 and 34. Then we looked at the cities with a fairly educated population (a high percentage of residents with at least a Bachelor?s Degree), many cafes and yoga studios. We calculated a composite score for each city by multiplying the number of yoga studios per 10K people with cafes per 10K people, and used this final number to rank the cities."

Posted on: 2015/3/18 17:16

Hoboken ranked top hipster city in the U.S.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Sorry, Portland, Hoboken apparently has you beat when it comes to young people with a taste for yoga and cafes.

A new list on FindtheBest.com ranks the Mile Square City as the most hipster city in the country, well ahead of San Francisco and Seattle. Missing from the list are several places well-known for their populations of flannel-clad, bearded, bespectacled people and other tell-tale stereotypes that fall under the umbrella of being cool before it was cool. New York City and Portland--even though they have, respectively, Williamsburg and a television show riffing on its eccentricities--didn't make the cut.

More

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... cording.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/3/18 16:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017