Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Jersey City out of road salt?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if this is the right forum but Henderson's has salt - picked up two bags earlier. HD by the tunnel doesn't have any butt hey said the one on 440 has some as of this morning.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Based on my walk this morning, it seems like the city has salt and is using it. I do wish they didn?t dump the excess amounts like crazy. But that?s what they do.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The late mayor Tommy Smith was proactive in removing snow. He worked the plows with Public Works and the Incinerator Authority (what it was called then) with a group of volunteers. He told citizens to place the snow on the corners on a particular day and the city would remove it. Smith was the last mayor we had that was that proactive in removing snow.

Good luck in getting citizens to shovel their walkways all the way to the corner.

Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I have heard there are laws or statutes or whatever requiring property owners to clear their walks and I would like to see them enforced and/or fines given. But I wonder what is the exact letter of the law? Do these rules go as far as to mandate the width of the shoveled out sections? I hope they do and I would hope its something on the order of 5' in residential areas and 15' in commercial areas. This notion that a property owner can shovel out an 18" wide track and call it a day is absurd. In honesty I have to say some of the usual offenders have been better this year than in years past ( I am looking at you Newark Asian stores ) but they need to go a lot farther. AND THEY NEED TO CLEAR EVERY FIRE HYDRANT. The idea that a chain store like Rite Aid on JFK Blvd can invest thousands of dollars to install a new sign ( two days ago) but NOT shovel out their entire sidewalk beneath it should raise some official eyebrows somewhere.
why do you need 5 - 15 feet of sidewalk? What's wrong with enough pathway to walk through, are you pushing wheelbarrows down the sidewalk? Do you know how much work it is to shovel hundreds of cubic feet worth of snow? And where the hell are we supposed to put all of it?

I always shoveled my whole sidewalk. I just feel there should be enough space for two people to walk past each other.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 14:16
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Jones Act waiver denied:

N.J. officials were hoping a barge with 40 tons of salt would arrive from Maine. But the vessel wasn't flying the American flag and officials couldn't get clearance from Homeland Security to come to the Port of Newark. The barge sailed empty, leaving the salt in Maine.

Now municipalities are counting on smaller shipments from suppliers. Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop says he's been waiting for salt for two weeks

"We got 200 tons today we are expecting another 300 tons today? said the mayor. ?To put it in perspective we use about 800 tons this will get us through one more snow storm. One more storm we will be back in this place so we really need some larger relief. "

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/24746649 ... e-continues#ixzz2tgJ9PVAk
Follow us: @myfoxny on Twitter | Fox5NY on Facebook

Posted on: 2014/2/18 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Snow Removal Operations to Begin Tomorrow on Main Thoroughfares; Residents Reminded to Not Park in Front of Hydrants or Within 25 Feet of an Intersection

Mayor Steven M. Fulop in coordination with the Office of Emergency Management announced today that City will begin implementing a snow removal plan for the main thoroughfares and commercial districts that will have the snow hauled to vacant City, County and State property.

Commercial and main streets are being targeted, as these areas provide access to the daily needs of residents such as supermarkets, banks, pharmacies and other small businesses and services. Clearing these areas will also improve conditions for emergency responders to move throughout the City.

"We thank residents for their patience during what has been one of the harshest winters on record," said Mayor Fulop. "With everyone's cooperation, this can be a seamless process that will help improve the mobility of both pedestrians and motorists as well as ease parking conditions."

The schedule for tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb. 18th, 2014 is as follows:

Central Avenue from North Street to Manhattan Avenue
Sip Avenue from Enos Place to Westside Avenue
Montgomery Street from Orchard Street to Summit Avenue
Ocean Avenue from Kearny to Warner
Newark Avenue from Summit Avenue to Tonnelle Avenue
Bergen Avenue from Academy to Fairview
MLK Drive from Virginia Avenue to Wade Street
West Side Avenue from Duncan Avenue to Communipaw
Summit Avenue from Sip Avenue to Pavonia Avenue
Monticello Avenue from Jewett Avenue to Storms Avenue
Bergen Avenue from Woodlawn Avenue to Stegman Street
Newark Avenue from Palisade Avenue to Marin Boulevard

Residents are asked to not park on the above portions of streets from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. tomorrow, or until snow has visibly been removed. Anyone who does not move their vehicle will be subject to ticket and tow. Police will be traveling along with the plows to sound their sirens and alert residents to move their vehicles.

Additional daily schedules will be released with the same procedures of non-parking for snow removal and residents are advised to visit the city website at www.jerseycitynj.gov, JC1TV, and the City Facebook page and Twitter feed for updates.

On residential streets, cars parked too far out in the lane of traffic preventing the passage of plow trucks will be ticketed and impounded. Residents are also reminded to not park within 25 feet of an intersection or in front of fire hydrants, and anyone who does so will be ticketed and impounded.

Anyone with questions or concerns can call the Resident Response Center at 201-547-4900.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 23:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/30 15:54
Group:
Registered Users
Just heard on the news that JC just got a shipment of salt

Posted on: 2014/2/17 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
I usually shovel enough sidewalk space to fit a baby carriage. Not sure where I heard that from but it makes sense to me.

It's in the municipal ordinance / city code 296-1,2,3, owners must shovel walk 8 hours after the last flake falls, wide enough for a baby carriage.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 22:34
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
maybe if we didn't overuse the salt in the first place, there would still be some left over.

#brokenrecord

Posted on: 2014/2/17 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Jones act allows suspension temporarily by executive order. Obama just needs to use his pen.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I would just be happy to find some salt soon. Using sand right now on a sheet of ice on one side of my building. The sidewalk on this side gets very little sunlight.. so the ice won't melt until the air temp goes above freezing.

A large shipment of rock salt is not allowed to enter the Port of Newark because the ship does not fly an American flag, according to a report on NorthJersey.com.

The 40,000 ton shipment is in Maine and won't be permitted to be unloaded in New Jersey unless a waiver to the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 is obtained, the website reported.

If a waiver from the federal government isn't provided, the rock salt would have to be moved onto slower-moving barges. The ship with the rock salt, on the other hand, could reach the Port of Newark in two days.

The nearest available ship that flies the U.S. flag in accordance with the regulation would take weeks to arrive, the report said.

U.S. Sens. Cory Booker and Bob Menendez told NorthJersey.com their offices have contacted the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Transportation to try to work something out.

The Jones Act, as it is also known, requires that ships with goods traveling between two U.S. ports be delivered on U.S. flag ships.

JJ

Posted on: 2014/2/17 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I would just be happy to find some salt soon. Using sand right now on a sheet of ice on one side of my building. The sidewalk on this side gets very little sunlight.. so the ice won't melt until the air temp goes above freezing.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Damn its bad, but not as bad as this thread. Some of you just don't belong in JC, Florida might be a better fit... LOL Stay safe.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
I usually shovel enough sidewalk space to fit a baby carriage. Not sure where I heard that from but it makes sense to me.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I have heard there are laws or statutes or whatever requiring property owners to clear their walks and I would like to see them enforced and/or fines given. But I wonder what is the exact letter of the law? Do these rules go as far as to mandate the width of the shoveled out sections? I hope they do and I would hope its something on the order of 5' in residential areas and 15' in commercial areas. This notion that a property owner can shovel out an 18" wide track and call it a day is absurd. In honesty I have to say some of the usual offenders have been better this year than in years past ( I am looking at you Newark Asian stores ) but they need to go a lot farther. AND THEY NEED TO CLEAR EVERY FIRE HYDRANT. The idea that a chain store like Rite Aid on JFK Blvd can invest thousands of dollars to install a new sign ( two days ago) but NOT shovel out their entire sidewalk beneath it should raise some official eyebrows somewhere.
why do you need 5 - 15 feet of sidewalk? What's wrong with enough pathway to walk through, are you pushing wheelbarrows down the sidewalk? Do you know how much work it is to shovel hundreds of cubic feet worth of snow? And where the hell are we supposed to put all of it?

Posted on: 2014/2/17 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
And since I am naming and shaming I'm just going to ad that the soon to open Taco Bell is NOT sending the right message about what roll they will play in the neighborhood if they are not even fully shoveling their sidewalk. In general business owners need to step up their game and clear ALL THE SIDEWALK THEY CAN. Its been several days now and there is no excuse.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/17 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop can't have it both ways. To send out an email saying stay off the roads, one would presume that the sidewalks and the like would be cleared and safe for pedestrians. Not even close.

The usual derelict landlords and commercial owners failed to clear walks and you have ice rinks on just about every block. Corner intersections are a total disaster. JCPD should be tasked with giving daily tickets to owners and landlords not in compliance with snow clearing laws. Owners will not change their behavior unless they are kicked hard square in the wallet.

Fulop Admin deserves all the bad press they're getting on this issue...

Posted on: 2014/2/17 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I hear J.C. is getting 500 tons today for the salt spreader trucks. The stores seem to have stocked up on the bags for
consumer use.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 12:55
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Vigilante wrote: Quote:
JCbiscuit wrote: Quote:
Vigilante wrote: Quote:
JCbiscuit wrote: Resized Image
slippery roads are not preventing people from driving 30mph down narrow streets. it's also making the new stop sign at 1st and Erie that much easier to ignore.
That photo isn't showing. Can we assume there was another accident at that intersection?
yessir. remind me how to post a photo from flickr?
This is my old explanation that I copied and pasted. Sorry if it's redundant. Firstly, post the photo to another site like Flickr or Photobucket or even Facebook. Then right click on the photo and copy the photos URL. Now on jclist, you are ready to post.You will click on the icon which is the third from the left or directly under the word Form. A dialogue box will appear on your page. Paste the copied URL into that box then hit okay. (Another dialogue box will immediately appear which helps in positioning the photo in your post). Hit okay again then hit preview to make sure it appears as you like it.
thanks! Flickr has since moved things around, tucking the URL into the teeny share icon at the bottom of the photo. here goes: [img width=300]wreck[/img] the car this guy rammed had already been removed from the intersection. I'm heading out now to try to hack away some of the snow mound that this jackhat pushed back over the storm drain.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Posted on the City's Facebook page --

The City is working to remove snow from corners and has implemented a snow removal plan to haul snow to vacant lots owned by the City, State and County. Today, with the snow from last night and the freezing temperatures, icy road conditions persist. Because of the regional salt shortage, Jersey City has implemented additional measures to supplement including the use of liquid brine and sand but is asking residents to please stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary and to seek alternative means of transportation.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Can the city publish a list of the store owners
downtown that are allowed to illegally block fire hydrants
and crosswalks or park illegally in general
snow or no snow? There seems to be
a no ticket policy for them.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Just saw they were dumping some snow down off 440 in that lot that I mentioned.
Just wish they would clean up more of the corners & the smaller streets in the west.
Every damn sewer & crosswalk is covered!!!

Posted on: 2014/2/16 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Resized Image

slippery roads are not preventing people from driving 30mph down narrow streets. it's also making the new stop sign at 1st and Erie that much easier to ignore.

That photo isn't showing. Can we assume there was another accident at that intersection?

This is my old explanation that I copied and pasted. Sorry if it's redundant.

Firstly, post the photo to another site like Flickr or Photobucket or even Facebook. Then right click on the photo and copy the photos URL.
Now on jclist, you are ready to post.You will click on the icon which is the third from the left or directly under the word Form.
A dialogue box will appear on your page. Paste the copied URL into that box then hit okay. (Another dialogue box will immediately appear which helps in positioning the photo in your post). Hit okay again then hit preview to make sure it appears as you like it.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Accident at Bay and Grove just before 9 am.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/2/16 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/2/16 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/2/16 19:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/18 4:10
Group:
Registered Users
Are we allowed to park in the municipal lots as street parking is impossible in these mounds of snow ?

Posted on: 2014/2/16 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they are clearing the crosswalks
as the Mayor states. Sorry Mr. Mayor...
you dropped the snowball on this one ...

Posted on: 2014/2/16 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Steve...what the #OOPS# is going on!!!
Everywhere on this side of town sucks with the snow.
Everywhere below westside from communipaw ave to past clarke looks like a plow hasent passed since it started to snow!!!
Who cares about the salt cause its all slushy in the streets, get a damn plow or borrow some from NYC to clear the streets while the sun is out & its geting softer.
Its gon freese up again later.
Dump the snow where they usually do on the other side of 440 where the old diner was by the bridge off Communipaw.
I know they used to dump it in the river.
There's a lot of open land to dump the snow.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It has always been the rule to remove the snow first in the western slope of the Heights because ice makes the area there dangerous.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 17:58

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017