Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
169 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Is Gentrification All Bad?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/3/10 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
So, the dramatic increase in property value is NOT reward enough for people who "toughed" it out during years prior to gentrification? This sort of classist/populist policy is just wrong. And, I find it extremely disappointing/hypocritical that poor and lower middle class folks will moan about tax breaks for the rich(er), or any other policy perceived to favor someone better off than them, but will gladly turn a blind eye and accept similar policies directed at them. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Right?

Posted on: 2014/3/4 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/04/us/ ... ntry.html?ref=todayspaper

break into groups of 5
pick a spokesperson
prepare a 5 minute presentation on how or if the ideas in this article might apply to JC

Posted on: 2014/3/4 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Howpat wrote:
Greenville's population was mixed, but mostly white till the late
1960's- early 1970's.

What's old is new again. And vice versa

Posted on: 2014/3/2 11:33
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Greenville's population was mixed, but mostly white till the late
1960's- early 1970's.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 11:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Our forefathers must be rolling in their graves - We fought to be self-governed from a ruler in the UK, only to now be over-taxed, over-governed by our own - I wonder if Washington was alive today, what would he make of cities like JC and States like NJ.
It was the common-man that did most of the fighting and now we want to gentrify the common-man from our communities and cities!

It would be an interesting investigation to see if a similar city (population) in the UK was sized up against JC. I wonder who paid more taxes, better services and quality of life?

It wouldn't surprise me if we had a migrant increase of US citizens to Commonwealth countries!

Posted on: 2014/3/2 6:22
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Food for thought...

Google Sets Example By Trying To Offset Perils Of SF Gentrification

By Josh Constine
TechCrunch
March 1, 2014

While San Francisco?s gentrification issues aren?t solely caused by the tech boom, the tech industry should aim to help the communities impacted by the influx of money and people it has brought to the city.?Yesterday?s donation by Google is a great example of looking out for one?s neighbors.

Google has given $6.8 million to fund two years of the Free MUNI For Low-Income Youth program that provides SF kids free bus passes to get to school, after-school classes, and work.

Let?s be blunt. A lot of people in SF and the Bay Area are mad at the tech industry. They?ve seen rents and prices for local goods and services rise as more high-paid tech workers move in. The cushy commuter shuttle buses provided to SF employees by South Bay tech giants like Google, Apple and Facebook have become a lightning rod for this angst. Protests have blocked them and shattered their windows.

But as I see it, tech didn?t cause this problem, but it exacerbated it. And that doesn?t mean it?s not responsible for fixing it.

Increasing rents stem from poor city planning and a mired bureaucracy. Though it was obvious that the tech industry was growing, the city didn?t build more apartments across the income spectrum. An average of just?1,500 new housing units?have been built each year, while?75,000 new residents?flocked to the city over the past decade. When there were movements to develop more residences, neighborhood associations would frequently block their construction, citing that taller buildings would ruin the skyline and city?s character. What they didn?t say was that by constraining the availability of housing, their own property values would increase.

More: http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/28/hyperlocal-philanthropy/

Posted on: 2014/3/1 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
There were plenty of Italians and Jews in Harlem before as well. One of the most famous pizzerias in the city is still there.

But yeah let's end the gentrification, it was much better when Jersey City, Williamsburg, LES, LIC, etc were known for drive bys and white people stayed in the suburbs using gas and fearing the unknown, where they belong!

I'm a liberal but that's just idiocy. We are all Americans, I can't afford to live in Rumson, boohoo, I have no rights. It's a free country, go live somewhere else. Plenty of places in NJ are affordable and no one race or group has more of a right to any neighborhood than anyone else. I'll move where I'll damn well please and I won't expect a handout to live somewhere beyond my means and it's about time this region all begin to live that way.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
FG has been a black neighborhood since the 19th century and Harlem was black from day 1. You must be confusing these areas with Greenville, Jersey City which was mostly white till the mid 1960's.

I didn't know "day 1" was at the turn of the 20th century. But before that Harlem was white and at the beginning, as opposed to "Day 1", white Dutch.

If we are going to get technical then the Native Americans were the first there., but I was addressing the 1960's comment. Blacks have been in Harlem since 1905 and when Harlem was redeveloped for non blacks in the 20's it failed. Most NYC folks thought it was way too far and it was offered to blacks living in The Union Square area at the time so the developers wouldn't go totally bust.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
FG has been a black neighborhood since the 19th century and Harlem was black from day 1. You must be confusing these areas with Greenville, Jersey City which was mostly white till the mid 1960's.

I didn't know "day 1" was at the turn of the 20th century. But before that Harlem was white and at the beginning, as opposed to "Day 1", white Dutch.

And that's why the gentrification "debate" will likely see no end. Neighborhoods change, and always have been changing. It's not something that is good, or bad... it just is.

I agree.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

And that's why the gentrification "debate" will likely see no end. Neighborhoods change, and always have been changing. It's not something that is good, or bad... it just is.

I was just going to echo the same sentiments..

Posted on: 2014/2/27 15:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/27 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Precisely.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 9:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/27 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
well, i know from my observations that you have to look at inner city nabs with a microscope. if you are talking about poorer latino areas, you are much more likely to find fresh fruits and vegetables (and cheaper) than if you are talking about poorer black areas as well as poorer white areas.

I agree 100%, Latinos always have food stores in abundance and so does West Indian neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
That's funny - Spike Lee complaining about the effects of white people moving into black neighborhoods. What, does he think the history of these neighborhoods began in the early 60's. These neighborhoods were white long before the black people moved in. And he wants to complain that they are changing again??!! That's hilarious.

What are you talking about? FG has been a black neighborhood since the 19th century and Harlem was black from day 1. You must be confusing these areas with Greenville, Jersey City which was mostly white till the mid 1960's.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
That's funny - Spike Lee complaining about the effects of white people moving into black neighborhoods. What, does he think the history of these neighborhoods began in the early 60's. These neighborhoods were white long before the black people moved in. And he wants to complain that they are changing again??!! That's hilarious.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
well, i know from my observations that you have to look at inner city nabs with a microscope. if you are talking about poorer latino areas, you are much more likely to find fresh fruits and vegetables (and cheaper) than if you are talking about poorer black areas as well as poorer white areas.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Motherf**kin? Christopher Columbus Syndrome?: Spike Lee Goes On Epic Rant Against Gentrification - See more at: http://madamenoire.com/404886/spike-l ... ion/#sthash.rBGiysCD.dpuf

By epic rant they meant racist and hypocritical rant. Racist because every other word was about "white people." Imagine a white celebrity making similar comparisons to "black people" moving into the neighborhood.

And extremely hypocritical because that article fails to mention Spike Lee recently listed his UES mansion for $32 million. So he "hates" gentrification while at the same time positioning himself to use it to make a $$$ profit.

Spike Lee's interest is in continuing to perpetuate black and white stereotypes so he can continue to profit off them through his work.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:47

Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/2/26 23:07:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Motherf**kin? Christopher Columbus Syndrome?: Spike Lee Goes On Epic Rant Against Gentrification

Speaking Tuesday night in Brooklyn, blocks away from his company headquarters and his father?s apartment, Spike Lee went off on how the neighborhood has changed. The filmmaker, wearing a Knicks beanie, orange socks, blue Nikes, and "Defend Brooklyn" hoodie, was at Pratt Institute for a lecture in honor of African American History Month, surrounded by locals, when he was nearly asked a question about ?the other side? of the gentrification debate. ?Let me just kill you right now,? Lee interrupted, ?because there was some bullshit article in the New York Times saying ?the good of gentrification.?? (See: ?Argument Over a Brownstone Neighborhood? and New York?s ?Is Gentrification All Bad??)

?I don?t believe that,? said Lee. And for the next seven minutes he explained, with passion, humor, and a fair amount of f-words.
Here?s the thing: I grew up here in Fort Greene. I grew up here in New York. It?s changed. And why does it take an influx of white New Yorkers in the south Bronx, in Harlem, in Bed Stuy, in Crown Heights for the facilities to get better? The garbage wasn?t picked up every motherfuckin? day when I was living in 165 Washington Park. P.S. 20 was not good. P.S. 11. Rothschild 294. The police weren?t around. When you see white mothers pushing their babies in strollers, three o?clock in the morning on 125th Street, that must tell you something.
[Audience member: And I don?t dispute that ? ]
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. And even more. Let me kill you some more.
[Audience member: Can I talk about something?]
Not yet.
Then comes the motherfuckin? Christopher Columbus Syndrome. You can?t discover this! We been here. You just can?t come and bogart. There were brothers playing motherfuckin? African drums in Mount Morris Park for 40 years and now they can?t do it anymore because the new inhabitants said the drums are loud. My father?s a great jazz musician. He bought a house in nineteen-motherfuckin?-sixty-eight, and the motherfuckin? people moved in last year and called the cops on my father. He?s not ? he doesn?t even play electric bass! It?s acoustic! We bought the motherfuckin? house in nineteen-sixty-motherfuckin?-eight and now you call the cops? In 2013? Get the #OOPS# outta here!
Nah. You can?t do that. You can?t just come in the neighborhood and start bogarting and say, like you?re motherfuckin? Columbus and kill off the Native Americans. Or what they do in Brazil, what they did to the indigenous people. You have to come with respect. There?s a code. There?s people.
You can?t just ? here?s another thing: When Michael Jackson died they wanted to have a party for him in motherfuckin? Fort Greene Park and all of a sudden the white people in Fort Greene said, ?Wait a minute! We can?t have black people having a party for Michael Jackson to celebrate his life. Who?s coming to the neighborhood? They?re gonna leave lots of garbage.? Garbage? Have you seen Fort Greene Park in the morning? It?s like the motherfuckin? Westminster Dog Show. There?s 20,000 dogs running around. Whoa. So we had to move it to Prospect Park!
I mean, they just move in the neighborhood. You just can?t come in the neighborhood. I?m for democracy and letting everybody live but you gotta have some respect. You can?t just come in when people have a culture that?s been laid down for generations and you come in and now shit gotta change because you?re here? Get the #OOPS# outta here. Can?t do that!
And then! [to audience member] Whoa whoa whoa. And then! So you?re talking about the people?s property change? But what about the people who are renting? They can?t afford it anymore! You can?t afford it. People want live in Fort Greene. People wanna live in Clinton Hill. The Lower East Side, they move to Williamsburg, they can?t even afford fuckin?, motherfuckin? Williamsburg now because of motherfuckin? hipsters. What do they call Bushwick now? What?s the word? [Audience: East Williamsburg]
That?s another thing: Motherfuckin?? These real estate motherfuckers are changing names! Stuyvestant Heights? 110th to 125th, there?s another name for Harlem. What is it? What? What is it? No, no, not Morningside Heights. There?s a new one. [Audience: SpaHa] What the #OOPS# is that? How you changin? names?
And we had the crystal ball, motherfuckin? Do the Right Thing with John Savage?s character, when he rolled his bike over Buggin? Out?s sneaker. I wrote that script in 1988. He was the first one. How you walking around Brooklyn with a Larry Bird jersey on? You can?t do that. Not in Bed Stuy.
So, look, you might say, ?Well, there?s more police protection. The public schools are better.? Why are the public schools better? First of all, everybody can?t afford ? even if you have money it?s still hard to get your kids into private school. Everybody wants to go to Saint Ann?s ? you can?t get into Saint Ann?s. You can?t get into Friends. What?s the other one? In Brooklyn Heights. Packer. If you can?t get your child into there ? It?s crazy. There?s a business now where people ? you pay ? people don?t even have kids yet and they?re taking this course about how to get your kid into private school. I?m not lying! If you can?t get your kid into private school and you?re white here, what?s the next best thing? All right, now we?re gonna go to public schools.
So, why did it take this great influx of white people to get the schools better? Why?s there more police protection in Bed Stuy and Harlem now? Why?s the garbage getting picked up more regularly? We been here!
All right, go ahead. Let?s see you come back to that.

New York

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:32

Edited by user1111 on 2014/2/26 22:48:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
The "food desert" phenomenon was basically a no-evidence feel-good theory in certain circles that has since been proven to be completely false.

The headline of the linked article is ?Studies Question the Pairing of Food Deserts and Obesity.? They aren?t proof of anything, much less of a ?complete falsehood.? Most importantly, the nutritional reality of poor neighborhoods involves much more than the availability of produce in grocery stores. Ever eat lunch in the Bronx? What did you settle on?McDonald?s or high calorie, low nutrition, Latin-American inspired cuisine? (The latter is delicious, but I need to take a nap afterwards.)

How about our own Pathmark? It has obviously long catered to a fairly low-income demographic, and while it has improved, the frequently very low quality of their produce isn?t something I experience in more affluent neighborhoods.

People may not be aware but many times the residents of poorer areas reject solutions to end their "food deserts" on the grounds it will make their area too much nicer, gentrify it, and price them out of the neighborhood.

Here is one very recent example.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/02/0 ... o-many-white-people-99333

I read about this some weeks ago, I think Jersey City black neighborhoods like Greenville is different, The poor here are being pushed out rapidly due to how close we are to NYC.

I been here 3 years and there were not many whites here at all. Now there are much more than before.

However I think the gentrification in Greenville is a silent gentrification and it has already started. I think most people who think of gentrification that automatically assume young wealthier white person.

This is not always the case, since living in Greenville I have noticed allot of young wealthier black, Latino's and Middle Eastern people moving to the area. Who have been priced out of Harlem, Brooklyn, etc.

Also I am seeing kids who grew up here and moved out returning to their childhood home while they parents retire and move out. So far most that are returning as professionals. Here is a great article I can easily see happening on our MLK...

How Black Gentrifiers Have Affected the Perception of Chicago's Changing Neighborhoods

Posted on: 2014/2/12 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
The "food desert" phenomenon was basically a no-evidence feel-good theory in certain circles that has since been proven to be completely false.

The headline of the linked article is ?Studies Question the Pairing of Food Deserts and Obesity.? They aren?t proof of anything, much less of a ?complete falsehood.? Most importantly, the nutritional reality of poor neighborhoods involves much more than the availability of produce in grocery stores. Ever eat lunch in the Bronx? What did you settle on?McDonald?s or high calorie, low nutrition, Latin-American inspired cuisine? (The latter is delicious, but I need to take a nap afterwards.)

How about our own Pathmark? It has obviously long catered to a fairly low-income demographic, and while it has improved, the frequently very low quality of their produce isn?t something I experience in more affluent neighborhoods.

People may not be aware but many times the residents of poorer areas reject solutions to end their "food deserts" on the grounds it will make their area too much nicer, gentrify it, and price them out of the neighborhood.

Here is one very recent example.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/02/0 ... o-many-white-people-99333

Posted on: 2014/2/12 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/nyr ... aste.html?ref=todayspaper

I have no experience with food co-ops, so I found this article informative. I suspect that dtjc is not considered a food desert, and don't like the idea of undermining the private businesses like Key Food, P&K, the 8 Erie street venture, etc.
One of my questions is do you think that a nabe needs a critical mass of 'gentry' to get soething like this off the ground?

Form small groups and discuss among yourselves.

The "food desert" phenomenon was basically a no-evidence feel-good theory in certain circles that has since been proven to be completely false. There's no evidence whatsoever that poorer neighborhoods in cities have less access to fresh produce--in fact, the evidence generally points the other way, that poorer urban neighborhoods tend to have *more* neighborhood healthy food options compared to wealthier areas in the suburbs. They may not be taken advantage of, for a wide variety of reasons, but they are there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/hea ... hallenged-in-studies.html

This is bullshit, I have lived in every ward of this city and ward A has no options at all if you do not have a car. Take a day trip and see for yourself.

USER, can't speak about Ward A, but several of the secretarial and admin people at work who lived in Project Brooklyn (not gentry Brooklyn) used to buy fruits and vegs from the carts in lower Manhattan and lug it home. Stuff wasn't available to people who shopped on foot. They also couldn't use services like Fresh Direct because they didn't deliver to their nabe or they feared having packages left at their door. After 9/11 things got worse because we were no longer allowed to have personal packages delivered to the office. Goodbye household products from Amazon.

Well I can speak for ward A since I live in the center of it and we have four supermarkets and two of them are not pedestrian friendly you need a car to get to them. Ward a and Greenville is not this 4 block radius place on MLK that most people think of its a pretty huge area that is very dense.

I have a car and usually drive out of town to shop. One store that is accessible by foot is not even in ward A its in ward F but close enough to reach if you live on the borderline of the two wards.

As far as food delivery service is concern I see fresh direct and stop n shop trucks all the time in the neighborhood, I have occasionally use stop and shop when I am out of town and want groceries delivered when I return so I don't have to be bothered with driving to Milburn.

I live closer to Garfield so there are no direct stores near me since its not zoned for stores. Ocean, MLK and Bergen only have bodegas, Liquor stores and a few hip hop clothing stores and everything else I am not interested in.

Kennedy blvd also has nothing and West side has the fourth supermarket which is similar to the old C-town that was on Jersey ave. Nasty!!!

Greenville residents have a small advantage over the Brooklyn neighborhood you mentioned, most rental apts and homes come with parking spaces or garages, and there is always plenty of street parking since 40% of the population rely on buses and the lightrail to get around town.

If you take our cars away we would be living off soda pop, fried chicken and cheap wine because that is what is available on our main drags. If you live downtown stand next to the lightrail one Saturday morning and see how many folks get off with a shopping carts heading to either Pathmark on Grand st or the horrible Shoprite.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/12 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

I have no experience with food co-ops, so I found this article informative. I suspect that dtjc is not considered a food desert, and don't like the idea of undermining the private businesses like Key Food, P&K, the 8 Erie street venture, etc.
One of my questions is do you think that a nabe needs a critical mass of 'gentry' to get soething like this off the ground?

The "food desert" phenomenon was basically a no-evidence feel-good theory in certain circles that has since been proven to be completely false. There's no evidence whatsoever that poorer neighborhoods in cities have less access to fresh produce--in fact, the evidence generally points the other way, that poorer urban neighborhoods tend to have *more* neighborhood healthy food options compared to wealthier areas in the suburbs. They may not be taken advantage of, for a wide variety of reasons, but they are there.

This is bullshit, I have lived in every ward of this city and ward A has no options at all if you do not have a car. Take a day trip and see for yourself.

USER, can't speak about Ward A, but several of the secretarial and admin people at work who lived in Project Brooklyn (not gentry Brooklyn) used to buy fruits and vegs from the carts in lower Manhattan and lug it home. Stuff wasn't available to people who shopped on foot. They also couldn't use services like Fresh Direct because they didn't deliver to their nabe or they feared having packages left at their door. After 9/11 things got worse because we were no longer allowed to have personal packages delivered to the office. Goodbye household products from Amazon.

Posted on: 2014/2/12 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/12 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/12 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/2/12 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Phrasing the question as "Is Gentrification All Bad?" implies that the presumption is that it is, at best, mostly bad.

In reality it is mostly good, if not entirely good. You question might as well be rephrased as "Is Improvement All Bad?". It's kind of an idiotic question.

It's a badly worded question. What should have been asked, and would have started a good discussion here, is "Gentrification - The Good and The Bad". And of course, the answer to that depends on your situation, options, and expectations!

As a resident of the Heights, and proud (new-ish) owner of my first ever property, a condo, I would absolutely welcome some things that gentrification would bring - decent shopping for clothes and housewares, upscale shopping, restaurants, restored houses etc. Would I feel bad about people being displaced? Sure, long time residents with roots in the neighborhood. That said, there are some really ratty blocks with some really poor residents who who you just can't imagine contibuting anything, especially now that I - being selfish here - have my property value to nurture.

Now, when I moved to West 105th Street in Manhattan in 1993, when it was a horror-show, I was thrilled by the gentrification, too, up until I was prepared to buy or move to a nicer place and found myself priced out...

Posted on: 2014/2/7 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Seems so common nowadays - having kids without a marriage license...

Quote:

MDM wrote:
I am having a bit of a baby boom with my (gentrified) tenants.

Only one couple is married though.

Wait, does it mean that the government license electrical work, plumbing, construction, teaching, and everything else that moves, - but it doesn't license procreation?

That's an oversight!

Probably something they should license... a stroll through my neighborhood makes it abundantly clear there are too many people who are in no way qualified to be parents who are procreating.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 15:57

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017