Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: What kind of U.S. senator will Cory Booker be?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
4 MORE MURDERS IN 24 HOURS in Newark by the Senator elect who said he was going to make safety the number one priority as mayor of Newark.

He's a perfect adjunct to the guy who said, no matter what, you'd be able to keep the health plan and the doctors you liked.

Oopsie.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

The definition of Democracy is (citing Merriam Webster) a): 'government by the people; especially: rule of the majority.' The Tea Party's recent tyranny of the process is none of the above.

Wishful, exactly what cities/states/towns did the Tea Party usurp through non-election means? If there was a military or radical takeover somewhere in the US, I think we would have heard about it.

Oh wait, this didn't happen. Like Boris said, when the ignorant populous doesn't get the results they want, it's "tyranny" and blah blah blah.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:
Have you read that "compelling" article of yours? Well, I just did, and there is no explanation there whatsoever how exactly the Glass-Steagall would have prevented the 2008 crisis. They do not even attempt to explain the mechanics of the problem!

There are just some slogans like "the greed got seriously out of hand and then imploded". How could you think this sounds like a reasoned explanation?

This is exactly what I was talking about, - all explanations are on the intellectual level of "evil eye".

That was one article - I think he highlights the parallels between the 1929 and 2008 banking environments. Over the last 5 years, many, many people have gone into greater details about the mechanics of what happened, so I'm gathering getting an explanation of the role of deregulation in the economic meltdown is not an the issue for you.

Well, if there were so many articles that gone into greater details, - how come you didn't point me to one of those? How come you couldn't find one of those?

What really happened, was, - there were scores of vacuous meaningless articles without any details, without any real explanation of what caused the crisis, - but with hand-wavy unclear "parallels" between the 1929 and 2008 banking environments. They would not even bother to explain how those parallels are more than superficial, - all they needed was a VOLUME.

When you bombard people with many, many, many articles all of which make same statement, - some people start to think that this statement is a reasoned, proved thesis. Like this Forbes' article that you mentioned. You just looked at it, and it did never occur to you to ask yourself, -"waaaaaait a minute! This is just a declaration! Where is the proof?"

Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:
I am puzzled. How can it possibly be "foisting" their agenda un-democratically, if they are doing this via the most democratic process of them all, - elections?

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

The definition of Democracy is (citing Merriam Webster) a): 'government by the people; especially: rule of the majority.' The Tea Party's recent tyranny of the process is none of the above.

What do you call tyranny? They went through elections. Voting.

the fact that you dislike their results, - does not mean that they in any way violated any democratic process.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Have you read that "compelling" article of yours? Well, I just did, and there is no explanation there whatsoever how exactly the Glass-Steagall would have prevented the 2008 crisis. They do not even attempt to explain the mechanics of the problem!

There are just some slogans like "the greed got seriously out of hand and then imploded". How could you think this sounds like a reasoned explanation?

This is exactly what I was talking about, - all explanations are on the intellectual level of "evil eye".

That was one article - I think he highlights the parallels between the 1929 and 2008 banking environments. Over the last 5 years, many, many people have gone into greater details about the mechanics of what happened, so I'm gathering getting an explanation of the role of deregulation in the economic meltdown is not an the issue for you.

Quote:
I am puzzled. How can it possibly be "foisting" their agenda un-democratically, if they are doing this via the most democratic process of them all, - elections?

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/22 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
More importantly, what kind of Governor screws the citizens of NJ out of $$$24 million dollars to hold a 'special election' for US Senate? Christie was so afraid to have Booker on the ballot (November) in fear of that more voters may vote in Democrat line rather than for him (Christie). The nerve when that money could be used for better things.

Yeah, he should just have done what a Democrat would have done-appoint someone to serve the entire rest of the term!

Posted on: 2013/10/22 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
@ borisp - I think more than enough has been written about how the 1999 repeal of Glass-Steagall precipitated the 2008 financial meltdown, and anyone who needs a refresher course is wilfully oblivious. Having said that, Sy Harding's 2012 piece in 'Forbes' is compelling - "Bringing Back Glass-Steagall"

Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

While on the surface, the Tea Party - as a grass-roots movement focused on the economy (and, to it's credit, purposefully avoiding social issues) - is benign, it has become toxic insofar as a small number of Congressmen, representing a very small constituency (according to www.what-is-the-tea-party.com, an estimated 40% of the Tea Party constituency was said to be older than 55 with 79% being white, in contrast to about 23% of the general population being older than 55 and 75% being white) that is not representative of the USA, and is un-democratically foisting their - and their billionaire backers (google Frank Rich's op ed piece in the Times) - agenda.

And, the most phenomenal thing here, - there is a grass-roots organization, that goes against the party establishment with all their funds and other advantages of incumbency, - and you see them as bullies?

By the way, this development is quite appropriate from the historical point of view. Republican party was formed when the "tea partiers" of the time grew disillusioned with the Whig party, and decided that they wanted a more radical drive toward freedom.

Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

We can hope that Cory Booker, while he is what he is, will represent the agenda THE MAJORITY OF NJ stress is important, just like the tea-partiers promote the old-rich-white-american agenda. I, for one, choose to be optimistic!

Optimistic? Well, to paraphrase President Lincoln, where do you get your Whiskey?

Posted on: 2013/10/21 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
You mean most "neutral" observers that appear on Fox "News".

I don't watch Fox nor CNN "opinions". But put down the Barney Frank coolaid and do a bit more reading. Here's a start:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-2008 ... bal-shifts-and-faultlines

Posted on: 2013/10/21 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
You mean most "neutral" observers that appear on Fox "News".

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
@ borisp - I think more than enough has been written about how the 1999 repeal of Glass-Steagall precipitated the 2008 financial meltdown, and anyone who needs a refresher course is wilfully oblivious. Having said that, Sy Harding's 2012 piece in 'Forbes' is compelling - "Bringing Back Glass-Steagall"

Most neutral observers agree that the root cause of the 2008 crisis was US Gov policies and subsidies promoting home ownership, that created a housing bubble that was destined to burst. What Glass-Steagall and Dodd-Frank might have addressed was some of the "too big to fail" public fallout. Interesting though - all that seems to have happened is that banks have gotten bigger since 2008, and the gov is still promoting low-interest home ownership through Fanny and Freddy.

I know Borisp would be the first to oppose both the home ownership subsidies through Fanny and Freddie, as well as the "to big to fail" subsidy to the big banks.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Most neutral observers agree that the root cause of the 2008 crisis was US Gov policies and subsidies promoting home ownership, that created a housing bubble that was destined to burst. What Glass-Steagall and Dodd-Frank might have addressed was some of the "too big to fail" public fallout. Interesting though - all that seems to have happened is that banks have gotten bigger since 2008, and the gov is still promoting low-interest home ownership through Fanny and Freddy.

I know Borisp would be the first to oppose both the home ownership subsidies through Fanny and Freddie, as well as the "to big to fail" subsidy to the big banks.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Spot on. And when he's caught, he's going to pull a McGreevey with the "I am a gay American" defense and bam, gets away free. Mark my words.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I betting he will be a self-serving senator, loyal to his financial supporters but eventually exposed for graft and corruption issues that will occur or have already happened.

I believe he is nothing more then a publicity junkie

You left Jon Corzine of your list..
So, what else can Democrat party offer us besides Booker, McGreevey, Torricelli and Menendez?

Posted on: 2013/10/21 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

While on the surface, the Tea Party - as a grass-roots movement focused on the economy (and, to it's credit, purposefully avoiding social issues) - is benign, it has become toxic insofar as a small number of Congressmen, representing a very small constituency (according to www.what-is-the-tea-party.com, an estimated 40% of the Tea Party constituency was said to be older than 55 with 79% being white, in contrast to about 23% of the general population being older than 55 and 75% being white) that is not representative of the USA, and is un-democratically foisting their - and their billionaire backers (google Frank Rich's op ed piece in the Times) - agenda.

We can hope that Cory Booker, while he is what he is, will represent the agenda THE MAJORITY OF NJ stress is important, just like the tea-partiers promote the old-rich-white-american agenda. I, for one, choose to be optimistic!

Posted on: 2013/10/21 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Spot on. And when he's caught, he's going to pull a McGreevey with the "I am a gay American" defense and bam, gets away free. Mark my words.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I betting he will be a self-serving senator, loyal to his financial supporters but eventually exposed for graft and corruption issues that will occur or have already happened.

So, what else can Democrat party offer us besides Booker, McGreevey, Torricelli and Menendez?

Posted on: 2013/10/20 11:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/19 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/19 1:42
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Relublicans and Blue Dog Democrats crashed the economy in 08. The Tea Party is even worse.

Funny how often this is repeated, - and by Obama too, - and not once I heard someone explain how exactly it happened. For some reason, when it comes to pointing out the exact policies that crashed the economy, and an explanation of how exactly those policies did it, - there has been silence.

The best explanation goes something like:

-- republicans removed regulations!!!!
-- first, the amount of regulations didn't decrease, second, could you name the regulations removed and how exactly did they affect the situation?
-- Glass-Steagal!!!!
-- Ok, now, describe, how exactly Glass-Steagal would have protected us from that crash?
-- [hand waiving and general slogans like "Tea party bad, Democrats good"]

Now, my second point is, - I asked you guys what does it tell us that the best man Democrats could find is Cory Booker. And your response is "Tea party bad".

Pathetic.

Posted on: 2013/10/19 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Relublicans and Blue Dog Democrats crashed the economy in 08. The Tea Party is even worse.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
"Hollywood" Cory is still better than Tea Party anyone.

Yeah, I know. A poser and a liar is better than a self-made hardworking man, - as long as he supports limitless borrowing and spending. Fine.

However, among the Democrats, among all the people who agree with you that the solution to a huge debt is to borrow some more, - among all them, - you looked for the best guy inside your Party, and the best guy you found is - Cory Booker!

Interesting, isn't it?

Posted on: 2013/10/18 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
More importantly, what kind of Governor screws the citizens of NJ out of $$$24 million dollars to hold a 'special election' for US Senate? Christie was so afraid to have Booker on the ballot (November) in fear of that more voters may vote in Democrat line rather than for him (Christie). The nerve when that money could be used for better things.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Right, the groundbreaking decision would be a for a politician to grow a sack and say something to the effect of "they both suck, I don't endorse either".

But again, that takes political balls, which Fool-op clearly lacks.

Im beginning to like Fool-op, he's a fool, and looks for any photo op possible. Let's run with that.

Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Agreed. And it's exactly that why I laughed at how Fool-op (and yes I voted for Steve, so save your breath, Fulop fans) and Candice blindly supported Booker. It's probably also why right afterwards, Fool-op put out a quote saying "eh endorsements don't matter", except when they do, but they don't, except when they do. Get it?

These clowns are such a joke, it's sickening. This illusion of choice, or that our voices matter, it's just sickening.

It was an easy choice in this case. Both in terms of who would be a better Senator for the mayor and his constituents as well as who he would want to ally himself with politically.

Not a particularly groundbreaking decision to endorse Booker, but not a foolish one, either.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Agreed. And it's exactly that why I laughed at how Fool-op (and yes I voted for Steve, so save your breath, Fulop fans) and Candice blindly supported Booker. It's probably also why right afterwards, Fool-op put out a quote saying "eh endorsements don't matter", except when they do, but they don't, except when they do. Get it?

These clowns are such a joke, it's sickening. This illusion of choice, or that our voices matter, it's just sickening.

It was an easy choice in this case. Both in terms of who would be a better Senator for the mayor and his constituents as well as who he would want to ally himself with politically.

Not a particularly groundbreaking decision to endorse Booker, but not a foolish one, either.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Cory, that's great, but did also notice how steadily almost every crime stat has risen since 2008? I'm confident once 2012 and 2013 are thrown in, the complete picture of incompetence will be clear, and the buyers remorse will truly set in.

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
I agree - he'll be like he is as mayor but with a bigger stage (read - TV, exposure, etc.). It's wonderful that Newark's citizens have to live in fear everyday while Hollywood Cory is on Oprah, Tweeting, etc. while he ignores crime, poverty and hopelessness in his own city. (By the way - congrats to NJ's voters - you deserve what you voted for).

Mentioned this in a previous thread, but as a general rule, crime stats in newark were down since Booker:

Also according to http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Newark-New-Jersey.html crime is mostly down since '06 when booker took over (through '11).

down: murder, rape, assault, theft, auto theft, arson
up: robbery, burglary

Posted on: 2013/10/18 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
I agree - he'll be like he is as mayor but with a bigger stage (read - TV, exposure, etc.). It's wonderful that Newark's citizens have to live in fear everyday while Hollywood Cory is on Oprah, Tweeting, etc. while he ignores crime, poverty and hopelessness in his own city. (By the way - congrats to NJ's voters - you deserve what you voted for).

Mentioned this in a previous thread, but as a general rule, crime stats in newark were down since Booker:

Also according to http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Newark-New-Jersey.html crime is mostly down since '06 when booker took over (through '11).

down: murder, rape, assault, theft, auto theft, arson
up: robbery, burglary

Posted on: 2013/10/18 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
And subsequently, when asked why he was supporting Buono, Fool-op basically said (paraphrasing) "I'm a life long democrat, so that's how I vote". What a f*cking fool indeed.

When the day comes where a politician actually has BALLS to vote consciously and against party lines in an election that matters, I'll lose my mind.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jackp wrote:

I am still not over Booker endorsing Healy for our mayor; in my mind that says alot about his character as being more machine oriented than progressive.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well for the next year I am guessing most of his efforts will be to convince the voters to reelect him in the regular senate race coming up. If the R's are smart they will find a centrist candidate to run against him, but they will probably stick to the tea party types.

I am still not over Booker endorsing Healy for our mayor; in my mind that says alot about his character as being more machine oriented than progressive

I did vote for him, but if he doesnt produce results and there is a credible progressive R (are there such types any more?) i would consider the alternative

Posted on: 2013/10/18 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:

Yeah, I know. A poser and a liar is better than a self-made hardworking man, - as long as he supports limitless borrowing and spending. Fine.

However, among the Democrats, among all the people who agree with you that the solution to a huge debt is to borrow some more, - among all them, - you looked for the best guy inside your Party, and the best guy you found is - Cory Booker!

Interesting, isn't it?

Posted on: 2013/10/18 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
The outcome is no surprise. What's amazing is this:

"The very timing of the special
election this year to fill the seat of
Senator Frank R. Lautenberg, a
fellow Democrat who died in June,
showed how powerful a force he had
become. Gov. Chris Christie, a
Republican, called it for a Wednesday
in October at a cost of $24 million to a
state with a budget stretched thin,
rather than holding it three weeks
later, when he would have appeared
on the ballot for re-election with Mr.
Booker, the one Democrat he had
feared running against him."

$24 MILLION (of our dollars), just to protect his own ass in the most obvious way I can think of. Christie is just pathetic...

Posted on: 2013/10/17 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/17 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/ ... e-race-in-new-jersey.html

Booker, Winning Rocky
Senate Bid, Gets a Job to Fit
His Profile

By KATE ZERNIKE
The New York Times
October 16, 2013

Mayor Cory A. Booker of Newark
easily won New Jersey?s special
Senate election on Wednesday,
finally rising to an office that
measures up to his national profile.

He will arrive in Washington already
one of the country?s most prominent
Democrats, and its best-known black
politician other than President
Obama, who backed him
aggressively. Mr. Booker?s fund-raising prowess puts
him on course
to lead his party?s campaign efforts in
the Senate, and he has been
mentioned as a possible vice-presidential pick for

With 99 percent of the precincts
reporting, Mr. Booker had 55 percent
of the vote to 44 percent for Steve
Lonegan, a Republican former mayor
of Bogota, N.J., and state director of
the conservative group Americans
for Prosperity, according to The
Associated Press. Still, the campaign
gave a wider audience to certain
facets of Mr. Booker that long ago
began to prompt eye-rolling among
his constituents.

With a Twitter following six times as
large as the city he has led, Mr.
Booker was known outside Newark
largely for his appearances on late-night television and
his heroics:
rescuing a neighbor from a burning
building, shoveling out snowbound
cars, living on a food stamp diet.

The campaign gave him less
flattering national attention for his
Twitter exchanges with a dancer in a
vegan strip club, and renewed old
questions about whether he
embellished an oft-told story about a
moving encounter with a drug
dealer, who may or may not have
existed (Mr. Booker called him ?an
archetype?). He had to resign from a
media company that Silicon Valley
investors had paid him millions to
start ? but not before the resignation
of the 15-year-old son of a television
executive, whom Mr. Booker had put
on the company?s board.

Having started his political career by
moving into a Newark housing
project, Mr. Booker spent the final
days before his Senate election
beating back stories in the
conservative news media that he did
not actually live in the city; the fact
that this story could catch hold at all
suggested the level of suspicion
aimed at the mayor in the city where
he began his rise. And he had to call
off campaign events during a nearly
two-week spree of murders in
Newark this summer, underscoring
the layoffs of police officers during
his tenure, and a complaint that has
long made him bristle: that he is a
better orator than manager.

Polls suggested this took a toll. In a
Rutgers-Eagleton Institute survey a
week before the election, Mr. Booker
had a positive rating among 54
percent of likely voters, but that had
dropped nine points from early
September. His unfavorable ratings
had nearly doubled, to 32 percent. A
third of likely voters said his career
had been more about self-promotion
than improving Newark, which is the
state?s largest city.

At the New Jersey Performing Arts
Center in Newark on Wednesday
night, a festive crowd of about 150
people shook blue and white
pompoms to Bon Jovi songs as they
waited for Mr. Booker to arrive.

Thanking supporters, Mr. Booker
returned to many of the lines he used
to open his campaign in June,
promising to bring a new kind of
politics to Washington.

?Too many people are forgetting that
the lines that divide us are nothing
compared to the ties that bind us,? he
said. ?It forgets that old saying, ?If
you want to go fast, go alone; if you
want to go far, go together.? ?

Conceding the race before a crowd of
a few hundred supporters at a
banquet hall in Bridgewater, N.J., Mr.
Lonegan called the race a victory,
even in defeat, and thanked the
prominent conservatives who had
come to the state to campaign for
him, including Rand Paul and Sarah
Palin.

?We came well closer to winning this
election than anyone ever expected,?
Mr. Lonegan said to loud cheers.
?The big Washington power groups
and consultants said we couldn?t win.
Well, maybe if they had played a role
in this election, we would have won.?

Mr. Booker grew up in the wealthy
North Jersey suburb of Harrington
Park, where his parents, some of the
first black executives at I.B.M.,
helped integrate the town.

A graduate of Stanford and Yale Law
School, and a former Rhodes scholar,
he was a celebrity even before he
became mayor ? with an Oscar-nominated
documentary about his
first, failed race in 2002. He was
elected in 2006 to replace Sharpe
James, the longtime mayor who later
served time in prison for fraud.

Mr. Booker brought excitement to a
city that has long struggled to shake
off the cloud of the riots that nearly
destroyed it 46 years ago. And with
his national profile, he also attracted
more business development,
including Newark?s first new hotel
and supermarket in decades, and
millions of dollars in philanthropy,
including a $100 million pledge to the
city?s long-failing schools from the
Facebook co-founder Mark
Zuckerberg.

The very timing of the special
election this year to fill the seat of
Senator Frank R. Lautenberg, a
fellow Democrat who died in June,
showed how powerful a force he had
become. Gov. Chris Christie, a
Republican, called it for a Wednesday
in October at a cost of $24 million to a
state with a budget stretched thin,
rather than holding it three weeks
later, when he would have appeared
on the ballot for re-election with Mr.
Booker, the one Democrat he had
feared running against him.

As a placeholder in the Senate seat
after Mr. Lautenberg died, Mr.
Christie appointed his attorney
general, Jeffrey S. Chiesa, a
Republican loyalist who expressed no
interest in holding the seat
permanently. Mr. Booker will take
office after the vote is certified,
which the governor has said will be
by early November. Mr. Booker will
fill out the rest of Mr. Lautenberg?s
term, facing re-election in November

New Jersey has not elected a
Republican to the Senate in 40 years.

But the race was messier than Mr.
Booker, famous for his inspirational
Twitter musings, would have liked.
He started the campaign talking
hopefully, and safely, about his belief
in the need to reach across the aisle
to get things done in partisan
Washington.

He held relatively few public events
early on, favoring canned Instagram
interviews and videos where he
answered predictable (for New
Jersey) questions like ?Springsteen or
Bon Jovi?? (?Bon Jovi is a friend,? Mr.
Booker said, but chose Springsteen,
?Thunder Road? over ?Born to Run.?)

Mr. Lonegan, his Republican
opponent, worked Mr. Booker?s
celebrity against him. While Mr.
Booker spent more than a week
raising money in Hollywood and
Silicon Valley, Mr. Lonegan held a
red carpet event with ?regular New
Jersey people? and invited reporters
to news conferences at his modest
suburban home.

Only after Mr. Lonegan appeared to
gain traction in some polls did Mr.
Booker come out punching, trying to
make the election a referendum on
the government shutdown.

Voters apparently found Mr. Lonegan
too conservative; 60 percent told the
Rutgers poll he was further to the
right than most of the state.

Still, the campaign ?made Booker
more human, less Superman,? said
David Redlawsk, the director of the
Rutgers poll, pointing to the drops in
his favorability.

The question now for Mr. Booker is
how he plays his celebrity in the
Senate, a chamber where show
horses tend to stumble.

He has promised that he will
continue to live in Newark. He has
also said he intends to keep up his
presence on Twitter.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I had high hopes for him, especially when it seemed he'd be able to reach across the aisle to get things done. Minus the money he got from Facebook he's been an utterly useless mayor-and the revelations of his challenged ethics should alarm Democrats as much as it's disgusted Republicans.

Ethics and New Jersey Senator???

Posted on: 2013/10/17 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I had high hopes for him, especially when it seemed he'd be able to reach across the aisle to get things done. Minus the money he got from Facebook he's been an utterly useless mayor-and the revelations of his challenged ethics should alarm Democrats as much as it's disgusted Republicans.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 14:34

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017