Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Can anyone shed some insight on the Newport Mall lockout of Hamilton Park?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The door at 9th Street is sometimes closed late at night (the one by H&M). You can get around this by using the exit tunnel next to Hollister.

The door at 8th Street (McDonalds) is always open.

The entrance from Washington Blvd is always open.

BTW, I can't believe how much people are complaining about the mall. I loved walking to the PATH that way (I have since moved closer to the Hoboken stop, but not because of the mall, and I drive to work in the burbs). No rain, cold/heat, and easy to make a stop at a store on the way back. Newark Ave/Grove St is useless for most things besides restaurants and bars. The mall actually has stores that are useful.

I do agree that it would make sense to have retail on Marin though, just build the garage up.

The mall isn't going anywhere. It is the only place with decent retail and it's plenty packed even if the lot isn't. People walk or HBLR/PATH over including from NYC to avoid the high prices and taxes.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Been a few years since I walked that way, but I remember the doors by McDonalds were generally open in the very early hours, whereas the Sears side were frequently locked.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
By the time you have walked through the mall to get to the light rail, you might just as well walk all the way to Harborside.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Yes. This is a no-brainer. The walkway through the mall is open 24/7/365. Even if it wasn't, it's not that big a deal to walk around the mall on 6th St.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
really! hamilyon park yo harborside is quite walkable

Posted on: 2013/5/30 5:41

Re: Newport Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
The doors to the mall are opened. Not the stores.

http://goo.gl/maps/JaGkq

Posted on: 2013/5/30 4:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/5 0:36
Group:
Registered Users
what is open?

Posted on: 2013/5/30 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, it is open to pedestrian traffic 24-7.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:44

Newport Mall

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/5 0:36
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

I am thinking about moving to the Hamilton Park neighborhood, however I work at Harborside Financial /Exchange Place, regular 9-5. Is it possible to walk through Newport Centre Mall to get to the Newport HBLR station. The mall website says it opens at 10am and google maps doesnt show of any other options other than walking through the mall. But since I have to be at work before 10, I am not sure if walking through the mall in the morning is an option.

Reaching to to everyone on JC List since I am not sure if there is an alternate way to walk through the mall to get to the Newport HBLR station, instead of having to walk around it. It would be great if anyone can advise.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
You're complaining that a mall built in the 80s is hindering your journey between a recently gentrified neighborhood and a light rail system that opened in 2000.
Unbelievable.

I agree with you.

The OP has valid observations and concerns and is seeking more information to keep hope alive for some future, different Jersey City. Amazing, really.

But, the concerns are 20+ years too late, as it was s/he who arrived on the scene more recently... and is still free to move to find more convenience elsewhere.

If waterfront/ PATH access through the mall parking lot was easier, would we hear complaints that the Mall was sucking us dry of all our disposable income? If the walkway was pay-to-play ($1 toll turnstiles), surely we'd hear about that being a burden, too.

But to answer the OPs question, I think the mall could do a slightly better job with a walkthrough or on-top-of the mall parking lot.

For direct transportation access, I think the best solution is for the light rail to run along 6th Street, north of (but not ON) the Embankment, en route to the Heights.

For obvious reason that's not in the works at the moment.

By the time that happens, the OP will have relocated to West Orange.

P.S. Robocub - your website is really cool.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
You're complaining that a mall built in the 80s is hindering your journey between a recently gentrified neighborhood and a light rail system that opened in 2000.
Unbelievable.

I agree with you.

The OP has valid observations and concerns and is seeking more information to keep hope alive for some future, different Jersey City. Amazing, really.

But, the concerns are 20+ years too late, as it was s/he who arrived on the scene more recently... and is still free to move to find more convenience elsewhere.

If waterfront/ PATH access through the mall parking lot was easier, would we hear complaints that the Mall was sucking us dry of all our disposable income? If the walkway was pay-to-play ($1 toll turnstiles), surely we'd hear about that being a burden, too.

But to answer your question, I think the best solution is for the light rail to run along 6th Street, north of (but not ON) the Embankment, en route to the Heights.

For obvious reason that's not in the works at the moment.

By the time that happens, you'll have relocated to West Orange.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Did you ever think that maybe the mall keeps the Newport people out of the Hamilton Park area?

I had until HP became overrun with cricket games.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
On the weekend, walking to Grove Street will not do you much good.

If you walk through the parking garage you have to contend with jerks that ignore the stop signs at the designated crossings and then fight your way through a cordon of shoppers lining up to pay for their parking tickets. Could they have put that machine in a more inconvenient place?

Posted on: 2010/7/8 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
i think short of what the mall has recently done (add more lights to the 1st floor of the parking garage; put up cones to designate a pedestrian walkway area), there's not much else that can be done short of blowing up the parking lot.

side note - i've never seen that parking lot full, even during black friday. there's entire sections that lay perpetually dormant.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 5:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Did you ever think that maybe the mall keeps the Newport people out of the Hamilton Park area?

Posted on: 2010/7/7 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
As much as I hate--HATE--the commercialization of our cities and culture, hate the whole LeFrak worldview, and how much of a drag it is hearing Christmas music in October as I walk through the mall to the Pavonia PATH station, after thirteen years of doing this, I have realized a few things:

1. In terms of time, it is quicker for me to walk to the Pavonia station than Grove--about three minutes quicker on average. And, it means one less stop on the train if I'm going to 33rd Street. In the morning, before the stores open, the trip into the city is easy.

2. When it is super hot, very cold, or raining like crazy, the office building/mall/parking garage route is much preferable to exposure to the elements.

3. Sometimes I actually need to shop on the way home, and the mall has stuff that Newark Ave does not.

When the weather is nice, I can walk down Jersey, then down Newark, and enjoy what a city (as opposed to a mall) has to offer.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 22:16
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
I have heard discussions of long-term plans to convert the first floor of the Newport Centre Mall parking lot into retail space, including pedestrian-friendly storefronts along Marin Boulevard.

By the way, Newport Office Center I is a conversion of an existing warehouse into Class A office space. The comment above about quickly building a foundation in order to circumvent the requirements for the waterfront walkway is absurd. The building had been there for 1/2 a century!

Posted on: 2010/7/7 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCProducer wrote:
TED is one of my favorite websites. This is a link to a great video about work being done across the country where suburban spaces (i.e. old shopping malls) are being converted into more usable and pedestrian friendly spaces.

Perhaps we can dream that a visionary will come to our city and transform what we have and make it even better.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ellen_dunham ... etrofitting_suburbia.html

The problem is this ISN'T suburbia, but the early redevelopment of the brownfields tried to make it so, as still does a lot of the zoning. Much of JC's residential blocks are R-1, so even where there are existing 4 or 5 story 4-10 unit apartment buildings, you can only build a 35 ft high 2 family at most, and unattached to either side. Forget about commercial storefronts mixed in the neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 19:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
TED is one of my favorite websites. This is a link to a great video about work being done across the country where suburban spaces (i.e. old shopping malls) are being converted into more usable and pedestrian friendly spaces.

Perhaps we can dream that a visionary will come to our city and transform what we have and make it even better.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ellen_dunham ... etrofitting_suburbia.html

Posted on: 2010/7/7 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RiverRat wrote:
At some point in the future ( I hope) that property will be too valuable to waste on just parking.

I think the leases on some of those properties are pretty long. If you thing the mall parking is a waste of valuable space, look at Target! You could put up a small city on that footprint. James Howard Kunstler writes all the time about cities devoting their downtowns to parking.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 16:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/25 11:02
Group:
Registered Users
I was just thinking about this problem, as I need to go to Home Depot from the heights via the light rail, and it is always such a pain to walk from the Newport stop because of the mall, parking garage, and Holland Tunnel highways. I think the only real long term solution is to convince Lefrak to replace the parking garage with new high rise buildings that have added parking, and place them on blocks that restore the street grid with 8th Street and 9th Street as East - West access to the mall. At some point in the future ( I hope) that property will be too valuable to waste on just parking.

Maybe in the meantime they could make some improvement to the garage to make it easier and safer to walk through, but I can't imagine it making much of a difference.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
As both the mall and the neighborhood around it morph to change with the current demographics living there, I think you will eventually see a shift in the way the acreage is used here. Newport remains a very suburban-style center dropped into the middle of an urban grid... it's never really fit in well, obviously. Eventually I think you might see an outdoor component along Marin that embraces the Hamilton Park area and integrates the community better, they'll just tear down the deck, put in front-facing retail, and build the deck higher on top of new retail.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
I lived in Hamilton Park for 2 years and now I live in the Village.
Each location is .5 miles from grove street.(yes i googled it to see which was closer) When i was in Hamilton Park it was .75 miles to Pavonia. Mall or no mall why would you walk father to get on a more crowded train... That makes no sense.

Most of us are the reason that these places are being gentrified so stop complaining.

Not only is the station further on the map, but you actually have to walk 2 blocks past it to enter, then walk back those 2 blocks on that ramp. I never use that stop except when I'm too injured to shlep my bike down the grove stairs and go there for the elevators.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I lived in Hamilton Park for 2 years and now I live in the Village.
Each location is .5 miles from grove street.(yes i googled it to see which was closer) When i was in Hamilton Park it was .75 miles to Pavonia. Mall or no mall why would you walk father to get on a more crowded train... That makes no sense.

Most of us are the reason that these places are being gentrified so stop complaining.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Robocub, you are correct the garage was built as a barricade against the neighborhood. I had heard it was a fight just to get the doors in on Marin!

Funny how things change, no? I'd bet the mall (and in turn, Newport) would kill to turn the Hamilton Park residents into regular shoppers at their mall now.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
They should really change the ground floor into storefronts facing outward -- or even try something like a year round flea market if they don't want to spend any money -- they could just have mall goers park their cars upstairs.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 17:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/4 14:20
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sure the mall's an eyesore/psychological barrier but I never really minded it because in the winter/rain it makes half my walk to the PATH station covered. In the good weather I generally walk to the Grove Street Station as it's about the same distance from my apartment.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 17:30
Myth: Pancakes are for breakfast.

Fact: There are no rules when it comes to pancakes.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Is a 10 minute walk to Grove St really that awful? I guess everything is relative, but come on.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 17:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
This type of neighborhood isolating development is extremely common all over JC. Newport is separate from the rest of downtown, which in turn is seperated from Journal Sq and Mcginley sq by 78, the train tracks, the cemetery and Dickinson High. Try driving up Montgomery from exchange place. What is a prime location for a commercial strip is useless because of those large apt buildings surrounded by massive parking lots. This is interrupted briefly by the Van Vorst neighborhood and then after Brunswick there's incredibly ugly developments, a couple schools, housing projects and more and more parking lots. Just like Newark ave, this area could be a link between downtown and the rest of JC, but has been developed in such a way that it instead acts as a buffer to separate. It makes no sense why a city would encourage development that takes the worst aspects of suburban living and discourages the best parts of urban living. JC ends up being densely populated, yet in many parts of the city people must drive or take busses to mini malls to do their shopping. JSQ doesn't even have access to a park, yet there are tons of parking lots (we wouldn't want to inconvenience to suburban commuters!).

Posted on: 2010/7/6 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
this is pretty much why i didn't go ahead with renting at Hamilton Park area. Very nice brownstones and still near downtown but access to public transportation was awful. newport mall was supposed to be a great incentive to catch the Path but i realized back then it would be a major hindrance and headache. i see it still is...

Posted on: 2010/7/6 16:49

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017