Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Tiger Shulman (Hoboken) vs. JC TaeKwonDo (Newark Ave)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
rob constance of Renzo Gracie Hoboken is legit. he has been active/visible in the sport for for quite some time.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 16:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I second JC Taekwondo, good school and good people. I used to instruct at Street Survival Karate on Clendenny Ave, where Master Bill Esposito was head instructor. We would cross train alot with Claudio and Felix, they truly love Martial Arts. They're not a McDojo like Tiger Shulman's.

And if I remember correctly, Claudio mixes it up with BJJ, so the students get well rounded training. Not just flimsy sport Taekwondo.

DK Park is also a great school, this is where my master began and learned all his belts.

Either DK Park or JC TKD are excellent choices, depends on your budget and proximity to the schools.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 15:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/19 6:18
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't been to any of these places, but there is a new school in Hoboken -- Renzo Gracie Hoboken (http://renzograciehoboken.com/) they have kids BJJ classes Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 17:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Tiger Schulmann=McDojo, not good.

With that being said I would agree with the posters who recommend a grappling art for the kiddies. Much more fun. I passed a storefront in Bayonne offering Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I couldn't find anything on the web.

But one of the best Judo clubs in the area is nearby in North Bergen... Tech Judo
http://www.hcstonline.org/district/De ... ine.org/district/techjudo

Posted on: 2010/3/7 15:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jyscorp wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks those huge blown up photos of the owner in the windows of JC Taekwondo are ridiculous?? I don't like having to look at them every time I walk by.

You're not alone. Reminds me of the Foot Fist Way or something.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
my two older kids went to JC Tae Kwon Do in the mid-nineties and I have nothing but good things to say. Felix Claudio is the real deal, the school really cares about the kids, sure it's a business, and he's a businessman, but the values he and the excellent staff instill in their students go beyond martial arts.

I remember kung fu Saturdays where once a month all the kids are invited for pizza on Saturday evenings where they get to watch 3 hours of kung fu movies and their parents get to have a quiet dinner.

Is that still on?

Posted on: 2010/3/7 13:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/15 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Am I the only one who thinks those huge blown up photos of the owner in the windows of JC Taekwondo are ridiculous?? I don't like having to look at them every time I walk by.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 5:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
JC TKD. Our 5 yr. old has been there for a year. We even sent him to the summer program because they go to the pool every day. I almost didn't want to post because I think it is getting too popular and crowded.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 4:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/1 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
i think there are different prices for lil dragons, juniors and teens. there are also discounts if you have more than one child. don't know the exact amount, but the more children you have enrolled, the bigger the discount.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 4:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/15 3:56
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
Another follow up question: for those of you with kids at JC Taekwondo, how much do you pay? I was quoted the standard $99 / month for my child, but while I was there waiting / picking up my kid, sometimes I overhear parents discussing different rates. I'm just wondering what sort of discounts people are getting.

thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2010/3/6 16:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
The rate for an adult class is about $99 a month. For kids classes, I am not sure what the rate is. I do know that JC TKD does have a couple programs for kids. One is an after school pick up program, where they get to do some TKD and do their homework. Which is nice if you are a working parent.

I have a lot of respect for the other schools in the area and I have met many of the Grandmasters from them. Master Claudio is very current with the rules of the Kukkiwon and follows WTF (world Taekwondo Federation) guidelines, which is what the Olympic style and the main Korean branch. I have traveled with JC TKD and have met many of the Grandmasters and heads of the Kukkiwon with him. He was also a coach for the Olympics as well.

I think what is most important is what is convenient to you and what your initial reaction to the school is. You will know when you enter. Try out a class at each place. See how your son does and how he reacts to the teachers and fellow students. See how they are all behaved. You will make the right decision when it comes down to it!

Quote:

Anyone know what the monthly rate is for adults at JC TKD?

Posted on: 2010/1/30 23:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/8 21:16
Group:
Registered Users
And kids love jiu-jitsu! I hate it, but the littlest ones think its great and they actually pay attention!

Posted on: 2010/1/29 21:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/8 21:16
Group:
Registered Users
They are both great for kids! Both offer a supportive learning environment for kids. Personally I think Tiger has a bit of a jock-ish mentalitiy for adults, but their methods are consistant.

JC TKD is a local independent gem. Your kid will love it.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 21:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/29 20:57
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I'd skip both and send him to DK Park Tae Kwon Do in Journal Square. (A block from the PATH Train). Grandmaster Park is one of the few 9th degree black belts in the world and was the 92 American Team TKD Olympic Coach. National Champions train there. Grandmaster still teaches.

http://www.dkparktkd.com/

His son, Master John Park, runs a tight ship, is fantastic with kids, and mentors some of the best competition talent in the Tri-State Area. At the same time, if your kid isn't into competing, (mine isn't), there is absolutely no pressure to do so.

The kids there are well behaved, and all are taught respect for themselves and others, and that the best self respect comes from self discipline.

There are kids there that are now young men and women, as well as sixty year old black belts.

If you're serious about TKD, this is the real deal. Check it out.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know what the monthly rate is for adults at JC TKD?

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
personally i'd skip both and send him to LA boxing for jiu jitsu classes with Jay Hayes. brazilian jiu-jitsu is far more practical and kid friendly. never saw a kids class that didnt keep thier attention the entire time, it not filled with boring kata.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
From the title I thought this thread was gonna be about a battle in the streets between these 2 schools.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Wait a few years and look into a boxing school. It's extremely disciplined and athletically demanding which turns alot of parents off, but it is hands down way more effective and rewarding for the kid. a trained boxer can fight longer and do more damage in real world scenarios.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 7:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
My 2 cents (for what it's worth)

I took a cardio kickboxing class at JC TaeKwonDo. The owner taught the class. I'm a spazz so when I couldn't get the right moves he would come up to me and say, "follow me." I just got the feeling that he was very passionate about his martial arts; even when it was just a "dumb" cardio class.

There was a kids' class before my cardio class. I noticed how one-on-one it was; the teachers really cared. And I saw kids and parents leaving very happy.

Like I said, it's just my opinion. I just got a really good feeling about JC TaeKwonDo. Like I said, the owner is very passionate about his art: and his dojo.

And it's great to support a local place.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 6:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/28 6:50
Group:
Registered Users
From past experience I'd have to recommend Kevin Padilla's TaeKwonDo in Hoboken on 603 Adams St. http://www.sporttaekwondo.net/

I attended his class over 15 years ago but remember he was always great with us younger kids (I left when he started to train for the 1992 Olympics, he was a favorite but he got injured) since then he's coached the US Olympic team.

The classes here won't be like those of what people call a McDojo, when I went the other instructor was Herb Perez, who won the 1992 gold medal and was the coach to the 2008 Olympic team (Kevin was a bigger favorite than Herb to win gold)

I actually thought of returning to classes here for Kickboxing but the location is a bit out of the way for someone without a car (NYC schools are a bit closer)

The only problem I can see here is if you're busy during the class time, he only offers youth classes from 4-5PM during the week and then on Saturday.

Also I gotta agree with Stagnantartist, for the most part Tiger Shulman is a McDojo, most are there first and foremost for the money, there are a couple in NYC with great teachers but thats the exception to the rule.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 6:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Near as I can see from looking at their website, Tiger Schullman's doesn't teach Taekwando. Their kids classes look to be either kickboxing or karate - which I can't tell.

Pretty annoying website, to be honest. Not specifying which martial art or arts you teach is a turnoff to me.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 5:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
I go to the JC Tae Kwon Do school and am a black belt there, so I am rather biased....

What I can tell you is that the TKD school is a legit martial arts program, where you test for an actual certified belt. You don't test for random special things like attendance or anything like that. The teachers are all black belts and Master Claudio is a 6th degree black belt.

I had never taken a martial art before, so I have gone through the ranks at the school. I helped out with the summer camp this past summer and the kids that go there are great. They are from all walks of life and supportive of each other.

Like I said, I am biased. But Tiger Schulman to me is very generic and corporate, while JC TKD is more of a family. If you do have a problem, you talk to a person and it doesn't get caught in corporate run around. But all in all, go with the school that seem right for you and your child! JC TKD will give you a trial class, so have your kid try the class out to see if they like it! Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/1/28 1:08

Tiger Shulman (Hoboken) vs. JC TaeKwonDo (Newark Ave)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/15 3:56
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
Hi - I'm wondering if anyone can provide feedback on the two locations for learning Taekwondo for my 5 year old son? I've visited both places already, and would love to hear actual experience / feedback before I make a decision.

Thank you in advance!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 17:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017