Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

2 very cool day trips
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
So a lot of people don't know about these two places -

But if you drive its definately worth the trip, I always like to go and do things that are different and not your usual

The first is the drive-in in Warwick, NY its not a day trip really but more of a night thing... the ride is about 1hr and 15 minutes.... just right over the NJ border...

def fun and if you can get there early they have double features so its worth the car ride.

http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1006131/driveinmovie/

The next one is Lucy the Elephant

This huge elephant built in 1881 that served as an hotel... it is reopened now and serves as a tour....

pretty cool and it was actually featured in todays JJ

http://www.lucytheelephant.org/temp/m ... a/html_history/lucy1.html

have fun!

Posted on: 2009/6/16 20:04

Re: 4 Day Weekend Ideas
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/21 13:30
From jsq
Group:
Registered Users
i agree,Toronto is a great idea,and you can do a day trip to niagra on your own or a bus tour.some of them stop at wineries on the way back.Quote:

grovester wrote:
In the spirit of What Should I Do Tomorrow?...

My birthday is mid-September. I have an excess of vacation days (poor me, I know) so I was thinking about taking a 4 day weekend.

Anyone have any good ideas for trips within the long weekend range? I'd rather not spend the bulk of the weekend in the car or on a train, and even though it's my birthday I'm thinking more "affordable" than "splurge."

I've been to Boston, I've done the Jersey Shore... I was thinking about maybe heading west but I don't know if Chicago is too far to be worth it for a long weekend.

Let's hear the ideas...

Posted on: 2009/6/15 20:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
Many of these ideas are great. What you ultimately have to ask yourself is "what am I trying to accomplish by leaving NYC and going away on vacation?". If you are trying to avoid large summer crowds and/or sitting in traffic DO NOT go to Ogunquit. While I love it there, and am in fact headed there Labor Day, to drive there means sitting in traffic. From this area, you have to go through the NYC summer traffic AND Boston area summer traffic to get there, and then once there, there are lines for all the restaurants. Again, if that doesn't bother you, then it could be fun. But if you are trying to dodge that, I suggest going elsewhere.

Montreal is a fabulous idea. In fact, if you flew up there, you could rent a car and drive from Montreal up to Quebec City, too, if you REALLY want to get away. And in September, if you are driving, the traffic will not far less tedious than in August when everyone is driving up the Northway to Saratoga.

Saratoga is nice, BUT in September, much of the things that make it a destination have begun to wind down (like the thoroughbred racing, the performing arts center) so it's more a college town with some history.

I grew up upstate, so am quite familiar with the pros and cons.

Also, Niagara Falls? Certainly worth a visit once, but four days, there? You'll regret it. Unless you combine it with Toronto, which is just an hour and 45 minutes from NF!

Have fun.....

Posted on: 2009/6/15 11:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandman wrote:
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

sandman wrote:
My recommendation is Acadia National Park in Maine. It is the only national park in the Northeast. Like all other national parks, it is spectacular.

I would avoid Acadia in July and August as the crowds can be unbearable. You're better off visiting the White Mountain or Green Mountain National Forests.

And yes Acadia is the only National Park in the northeast, but there are more than 50 National Park sites within a days drive of Jersey City.

The OP is going in September. None of what you mentioned can compare, even remotely, with Acadia. It's one of the places you should see before you die.

It's been a while since I read the original post, so yes, you can forget what I said about Acadia in July and August.

However, I disagree with your statement that "none of what [I] mentioned can compare, even remotely, with Acadia." Every NPS site has it's own unique thing to offer, whether it is natural resources, cultural resources, or both. Yes many of the NPS sites in the northeast may be small, but they have quite a lot offer. And with so many sites being so small, one can visit many sites over multiple days and can a broad perspective of this country's natural and cultural history.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 16:50
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

sandman wrote:
My recommendation is Acadia National Park in Maine. It is the only national park in the Northeast. Like all other national parks, it is spectacular.

I would avoid Acadia in July and August as the crowds can be unbearable. You're better off visiting the White Mountain or Green Mountain National Forests.

And yes Acadia is the only National Park in the northeast, but there are more than 50 National Park sites within a days drive of Jersey City.

The OP is going in September. None of what you mentioned can compare, even remotely, with Acadia. It's one of the places you should see before you die.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandman wrote:

Posted on: 2009/6/14 13:49
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/19 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
CAMPING in MAINE is the best vaca EVER!

sorry, it just really excites me! Anyway, we do Hemlock Campground in Kennebunk and take bikes...you are a 20 minute bikeride from downtown Kennebunkport (restaurants/shops/whale watching tours/etc) and the beach! We like to get lobster to go from a place down the street and eat it at our campground around the fire.

Best lobster roll (and cheesesteak for that matter) in Maine is Bennett's Store (in Kennebunk)...just a short bike ride away from the overpriced small lobsta rolls in downtown Kennebunkport.

If you aren't that into bike riding...there are campgrounds in Ogunquit, Maine (my other favorite Maine town)...they have a trolley that picks you up and drives you all around town. Some campsites offer free shuttle service to the beach. Ogunquit beach was rated top 10 most beautiful beaches in some mag last year...I think. It is spectacular. There is also the Ogunquit Playhouse...amazing theatre with big Bway stars at affordable prices. Beautiful restaurants on the water and wow...I should be a travel agent. Hotels and b and b's are a plenty but pricey.

finally - just a final Maine plug. All of you men reading this...TAKE your wives to www.gazeboinnogt.com sometime this winter. The prices for the "barn suites" are halved in the winter. This place is extraordinary and was the most romantic thing my husband has ever surprised me with. Suites have walk in showers/steam rooms/big jacuzzis with dual-sided fireplaces/awesome breakfast/kitchens. Plus, Ogunquit in the winter is so pristine and quiet...yet a few cute bars/restaurants are open.

umm, hope this interests you! sorry for my raving!

Posted on: 2009/6/10 17:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/6/10 14:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/17 18:59
From Hudson Co.
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, Lake George! Just brought back a flood of memories from when I was a kid. If you don't feel like driving too far, New Paltz is a really nice place too.

My GF took me there for my birthday weekend and we had a great time.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Another vote for Lake George. Paradise in upstate NY. You can rent a small cabin or stay at the fancy Sagamore. Kayak or sail on the lake. Rent bikes. Go antiquing in Warrensburg, with a stop at Oscar's Smokehouse.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 19:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
Block Island in September is fabulous. Rent a bike or a scooter, stay in a turn of the century hotel. Eat lobster and more lobster. Take ferry from New London ct or Point Judith RI (Galilee). RI runs more often and it's a shorter trip. Stop in Mystic Seaport on the way back and climb around on a whaling ship. Then stop at Frank Pepe's in New Haven for a white clam and bacon pizza - the world's best. Have fun

Posted on: 2009/6/9 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Another +1 on Montreal. Been there about 4 times, and we always have a great time!

Posted on: 2009/6/9 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
How's your adrenaline requirement? Mid September is when the Gauley River in W Virginia runs, one of the best whitewater rafting trips in the east. The area is also tremendous for all outdoor recreation like hiking and biking.

If the great outdoors aint your thing and you haven't been, DC is a cool place to visit, I could spend weeks at the Smithsonian museums.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Huge +1 on Montreal. We've been there 6 times in 5 years and it is hands-down our favorite long-weekend getaway. And Sept would be beautiful. Great food, great music/nightlife and it's a really nice drive (about 6 hours) up there.

If you decide to go, feel free to PM me for any recos.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
first, are you single? will you be travelling alone or with someone? Portland maine is an a awesome town. It actually has more restaurants per square mile than any town in the country. nightlife is great and the surroundings are beautiful.

Montreal is a great time as well. Its a quick flight or a 6 hr drive. it has the feel of being in europe. Also has great nightlife.

Flights can be had for very cheap to europe. i saw flights to dublin in september for around $250 yesterday. some really good deals out there that may not come around for a while.

Thats the perfect amount of time to visit vegas. New Orleans is an awesome town if you havent been. Austin texas another fun town.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I was going to say Maine, but that's 6+ hours away. Beautiful in the later summer/fall, though.

The Berkshires.
Mystic, CT? I haven't been there in years. I guess it's pretty touristy.
I hear Philadelphia has gotten pretty great in recent years.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite long-weekend place is Montauk, LI. You can take the train all the way out there...stay in a little hotel on the harborside... rent bikes and explore. Have a great meal at Dave's.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
How about Montreal? I have never been but it's supposed to be magnifique!

A closer option is Saratoga Springs, which is an awesome town, great combo of college town and artsy town and good old upstate keepin' it real town. Plus it's a good springboard to places like Lake George, southern Vermont, etc. Nice time of year to go up there, too. You can get there in about 3 hours by car.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
niagara falls is a 7 hr~ish drive, but you can make stops along the way. it's a pretty straight shot and worth the trip. if you have a passport, you can (and should) cross the border because the canadian side is alot more touristy than the american one.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:03

4 Day Weekend Ideas
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
In the spirit of What Should I Do Tomorrow?...

My birthday is mid-September. I have an excess of vacation days (poor me, I know) so I was thinking about taking a 4 day weekend.

Anyone have any good ideas for trips within the long weekend range? I'd rather not spend the bulk of the weekend in the car or on a train, and even though it's my birthday I'm thinking more "affordable" than "splurge."

I've been to Boston, I've done the Jersey Shore... I was thinking about maybe heading west but I don't know if Chicago is too far to be worth it for a long weekend.

Let's hear the ideas...

Posted on: 2009/6/8 23:55
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017