Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Computer Repair in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

repairstop wrote:
I have told Genuine Windows 7 different $149+ install $39. You can't me no reason. If you choose Need discount me Agreed ok $75 and Copy means no no no. Windows 7 normal only. Thanks! From Repair Stop

There, it's all perfectly clear now. I can't see how there could be any misunderstanding about the work sumokitty had done.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 20:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/5 23:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sumokitty wrote:
Don't go to Repair Stop in JC! They took forever to fix my laptop, which then died again a couple weeks later. They wouldn't even try to make it right without charging me for the new labor. They also wanted $75 to install a bootleg copy of Windows 7. Total BS!

I got a good repair once from a guy named Dave who I found here, but I can't seem to locate his info again. Anyone know him?

I have told Genuine Windows 7 different $149+ install $39. You can't me no reason. If you choose Need discount me Agreed ok $75 and Copy means no no no. Windows 7 normal only. Thanks! From Repair Stop

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:52

Re: Laptop computer repair?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
I am looking for someone reputable, with actual listening and problem solving skills, to fix two laptops I have. One of them needs a new motherboard and the other one has weird quirky problems that only a Jedi can probably figure out. I had a great place in Park Slope where I was living until recently, and brought them there, and the owner DISAPPEARED for over two months with them. He closed his business and vanished. The day I filed a police report, he turned up again, saying he had been in the hospital and he was sorry. Meanwhile, they are not fixed. I can't go through that again. Anyone know of a place where the people are not flakes and they actually fix things the first time? Thank you!

Hi, I'm willing to help you out for cheap, however I need to stop you in your tracks first.

1) Replacing a motherboard on a laptop? Completely not worth the trouble, unless you actually bought a new motherboard for it already. It isn't cost-effective to replace it, so you may as well buy a new laptop.

2) I can look at the other laptop to see what's wrong with it. You haven't given any detail, so hard to say. I'm happy to diagnose the problems for free for you.

I used to repair computers in my spare time when I lived in London. I'm an IT professional with about 20 years of experience working on computers, so I've no doubt I can solve your problems, *if* they are actually solvable.

I'll diagnose for free since I can't in good conscience charge someone for that, since I find repairing computers to be easy.

Message me if you're interested.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Oh that's funny :) Now that the Webmaster joined this thread to an older one I see Dave has posted here back in 2012. I highly recommend him:

Quote:
I'm Dave mentioned above! Been doing PC support for 30 years. 15 years in Jersey City (Van Vorst Downtown area) and I have dozens of local businesses as clients and referrals.
Prompt, courteous service at reasonable prices.

Dave Alden
pchelp@david.aldenmail.com

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/13 14:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yes! I know a man in down town JC that is truly amazing and has helped us with many issues concerning computers. He is fast, fair and extremely talented :)
write me at faeryx4@yahoo.com and I will send you his info
Mary Ann

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:27

Laptop computer repair?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I am looking for someone reputable, with actual listening and problem solving skills, to fix two laptops I have. One of them needs a new motherboard and the other one has weird quirky problems that only a Jedi can probably figure out. I had a great place in Park Slope where I was living until recently, and brought them there, and the owner DISAPPEARED for over two months with them. He closed his business and vanished. The day I filed a police report, he turned up again, saying he had been in the hospital and he was sorry. Meanwhile, they are not fixed. I can't go through that again. Anyone know of a place where the people are not flakes and they actually fix things the first time? Thank you!

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
I'm Dave mentioned above! Been doing PC support for 30 years. 15 years in Jersey City (Van Vorst Downtown area) and I have dozens of local businesses as clients and referrals.
Prompt, courteous service at reasonable prices.

Dave Alden
pchelp@david.aldenmail.com

Posted on: 2012/3/15 20:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/11 2:13
From Grove St
Group:
Registered Users
Don't go to Repair Stop in JC! They took forever to fix my laptop, which then died again a couple weeks later. They wouldn't even try to make it right without charging me for the new labor. They also wanted $75 to install a bootleg copy of Windows 7. Total BS!

I got a good repair once from a guy named Dave who I found here, but I can't seem to locate his info again. Anyone know him?

Posted on: 2010/11/11 2:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
Just go to http://www.crucial.com and buy the RAM online.

Really though. BestBuy will price match most places. So if you find your RAM online bring the printout to BB and i bet they will match the price for you.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 17:43

Where to buy computer parts in JC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/27 22:54
Group:
Registered Users
Hi I'm looking to buy some computer parts, mainly ram for my computer, does anyone know of any small shops around jc I can go too..Dont wanna go to the big name stores IE bestbuy, staples, etc way over priced for what I'm lookin for. Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Definitely DO NOT go to Micro Tech unless you are willing to part with your computer for over two weeks.

VERY SLOW with their repairs. The only time they stepped up is when I went in there and made a fuss (read as, I made an ugly scene until they took me seriously). I was going to take my comp back on Saturday and then a MIRACLE happened! They just so happened to get my new fan THAT VERY DAY. I was so pissed off but the part was in and I needed my computer and didn't want to take it to ANOTHER place to wait a week or more.

Long story short, I demanded a guarantee that it would be fixed by today (Monday) or a discount for each day it was late. It was ready today. I told them I would never do business with them and I'd spread the word about poor customer service and poor repair time.

As I was leaving, I overheard another woman say, "I'm here for my computer. You said it would be ready this afternoon. It's the afternoon. I'm tired of the run around."

Caveat emptor.

While I haven't used Damian's services, I must say that he is very knowledgeable and very nice; even offering to lend me a comp while mine got fixed. The holidays are a very hectic time and once they were over, he was always available via e-mail to answer my questions.

He was upfront and told me that I'd negate my one-year Compaq warranty if he or anyone else opened my comp. I chose not to listen.

Just my 2-cents but I think I'll go with Damian next time I have a problem.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Oturan wrote:
I need my net-card replaced and was wondering if anyone knows of a place that will do this cheaply. The card itself costs about 20 bucks.

I spoke with Staples and they told me it would cost 100 dollars which seems steep to remove and put in the new one.

Any suggestions much appreciated..especially if you have used the services for your own comp.

I can highly recommend Walter who has helped me out several times, always replies quickly, nice personality, intelligent, understandable guidance and also very reasonable pricing and flexible.

Here's Walter's contact info:
barterpc@gmail.com
(201) 656-4637

Posted on: 2010/1/16 18:28
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
Hey guys,

I just had damian come over to fix a few things on my laptop and would highly recommend him to anyone. Very thorough with his explanations, went above and beyond what he had to do and charged a very reasonable price. He was in and out and I will use him again in the future.

Email was posted above

Damian@a-t-s.biz

I don't know Damian at all but this is how you find someone good.

Recommendations of an individual (not a big shop, not even a small shop unless you get a person's name), from people who have had good experiences.

And you get what you pay for. If everyone's experience with someone who makes house calls is as described above, they're worth a LOT. Certainly more than they're charging.

There's also a luck factor and the ability to give nonsense explanations that sound nice, so I'm not recommending someone I don't know based on the experience of someone else I don't know. But if enough credible people say this kind of thing, that's your best bet.

Don't forget that some things just can't be fixed, and a lot of things aren't worth the time/effort/cost to be fixed. Proper communication of this (if correctly identified) is still a success.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 5:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys,

I just had damian come over to fix a few things on my laptop and would highly recommend him to anyone. Very thorough with his explanations, went above and beyond what he had to do and charged a very reasonable price. He was in and out and I will use him again in the future.

Email was posted above

Damian@a-t-s.biz

Posted on: 2010/1/15 19:05

Re: Looking to upgrade my power supply

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/14 0:08
Group:
Registered Users
dualsticks...I have a ton of spare parts including a couple of power supplies. Contact me at Damian@a-t-s.biz if interested. I do house calls.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 0:14

Re: Looking to upgrade my power supply
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
This is the cheapest brick and mortar place in North Jersey that I know

www.microcenter.com

http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/north_jersey.html

They will send you a great catalog and coupons for free stuff which might make the trek worth it.

If you are buying online then just go with www.newegg.com or look on eBay.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 23:04

Looking to upgrade my power supply

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/27 22:54
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade the power supply on my computer because a friend of mine gave me a much better video card than I have, he gave me a Nvidia Geforce 7900 GTX video card. Anyway, the computer I have is a Gateway GT 5228 And I've been getting alot of mixed answers from people as to what the case type is, one says MicroATX,one says ATX and I don't know what to believe. If you look here at the motherboard's home page, it says microBTX Form Factor and I still don't know what that means, so I don't know if a regular ATX power supply will fit. A friend of mine said I shouldn't have problem's installing it but if I do and worse comes to worse, all I would have to do is remove the motherboard first, install the power supply, then put the motherboard back in, and he also suggested I get a modular power supply so I don't have many unused cables hanging out since it might be a tight fit inside. But anyway I just need some help to this subject, and also does anyone know the name of that computer parts store on journal square? I think it's Micro something, I can't remember. Thanks for the help

Posted on: 2010/1/13 22:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Whatever you do, do not go through Geeks Mobile.

I'm now beginning to think going through your computer tech support is the best option even if your warranty is no longer good. They might be a little pricy, but at least you know you'll be getting good service.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
Quote:
Microtech Computers, 2810 John F Kennedy Blvd, a little ways up from Journal Square. They charge very reasonable rates, work quickly and are nice people. I believe that's the same place JCRegister is referring to.

Gotta say, I am not impressed with Microtech. They've had my computer for a week and a half and can't tell me when it will be ready. All they have to do is replace the fan.

On a side note, I contacted Damian. We touched base via e-mail and haven't heard back from him.

I have to agree with Eleanor, Micro also has a joint up in the Heights and they seem a bit timid and inept in their mannerisms. Also they speak broken English so it hard to get on the same page as them. Try a reputable place such as one of the big box stores at least you can cry to someone for satifaction.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Microtech Computers, 2810 John F Kennedy Blvd, a little ways up from Journal Square. They charge very reasonable rates, work quickly and are nice people. I believe that's the same place JCRegister is referring to.

Gotta say, I am not impressed with Microtech. They've had my computer for a week and a half and can't tell me when it will be ready. All they have to do is replace the fan.

On a side note, I contacted Damian. We touched base via e-mail and haven't heard back from him.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I need my desktop repaired. I now have 5 people I know that have had their computers crash in the last 2 weeks. What's up with that. How much is fair when referring to the man mentioned?

Posted on: 2009/12/16 23:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I tried to get in touch with him bc of all the good reviews but we had a scheduling conflict last week and I havent heard from him since. Tried calling and emailing.

Wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 22:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/1 15:53
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Nori, I've had Damian fix my computer, he is right in the area and charges fair rates. See my post above for his email address...

Posted on: 2009/12/16 15:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/1 15:53
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I second the recommendation above for Damian. He fixed my Dell XPS, backed up all of my data and charged a very fair price.

His email address is above, damian@a-t-s.biz.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 18:45

Re: Computer Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I used Damian to work on a couple of computers and our network - he did a great job. Very responsive and reasonable prices. I highly recommend him.

Quote:

video wrote:
I can do it for you. You can contact me via the following for a free quote or answer any of your questions:

damian@a-t-s.biz

or

www.a-t-s.biz

Posted on: 2009/9/12 14:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/11 16:32
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I can do it for you. You can contact me via the following for a free quote or answer any of your questions:

damian@a-t-s.biz

or

www.a-t-s.biz

Posted on: 2009/3/5 19:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/27 12:39
Group:
Registered Users
One of my good friends works at a PC repair place/internet cafe in the journal square area... it's on kennedy blvd between sip and tonnelle i believe... it's across the street from VIP diner.. it's called US LIVE NET... its in one of those packs of store fronts with green awnings.... hope this helps.. if anything his name is Manny...

Posted on: 2009/3/5 13:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Fast Teks. They will come to you!

Posted on: 2008/7/3 5:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/3 2:14

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017