Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 10 Ugly Buildings JERSEY CITY Would Be Better Off Without
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I nominate the recently completed circular PATH entrance at Grove street. It was just built but it looks like it is circa 1981. I waited eagerly for them to finish that structure, than i realized it was finished.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 20:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/27 4:28
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Just curious, what would you approve of/like better? Some of the houses in Greenville/Heights etc that are going up are by far a vast improvement from what was there. Everyone can't build/live in historic brownstones.

Hows about this:

Resized Image

or this:

Resized Image

or this:

Resized Image

link

Posted on: 2008/12/29 2:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
322 8th , a fairly new contstruction 2 family house home located in Hamilton Park. To me this house stands out for several reasons. The fact that it was built on a historic block but looks like post modern structure from THE JETSONS . This a shining example of of the inconsistencies of The Historic Commision and Dan Wriedan. How was this approved? Who was involved the the sale of the land ? The favorable tax rate?

Posted on: 2008/12/18 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
The new Westin Hotel down. It's across the street from Pep Boys. It looks like some sort of Soviet Union Apartment building.

The Pep Boys building is actually nicer.

Posted on: 2008/12/7 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The bigger problem in Newport is not so much poor architectural decisions -- those are budget buildings built as inexpensive boxes -- but the larger site plan. Newport has more in common with 1960's style housing projects than with true urban neighborhoods. The car in Newport is given priority over the pedestrian, a characteristic that is far more suburban than urban. There is no city center; naming a patch of grass "Town Square" does not endow that patch of grass with any characteristics of a traditional town square. The cheap architectural choices in Newport could have been forgiven if the master plan was more conducive to creating an urban neighborhood rather than simply creating a collection of segregated towers.

Posted on: 2008/12/7 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the high-rise residential crap in Newport and even the Beacon is ugly (no matter what they have done, it still looks like an ugly converted hospital) I even prefer Dixon Mills over the Beacon.

Posted on: 2008/12/7 3:05
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
anything that looks like this:

Resized Image

or this:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/12/6 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for newark ave especially between grove and erie, the south side. I try to walk on that side not to see it...

Posted on: 2008/12/6 16:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
The Hudson County Administration Building is one ugly ass building. Both inside and out.

Agreed, and the courthouse right next door is so cool looking and then you have that ugly thing next to it.

Posted on: 2008/12/6 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SimonBarSinister wrote:
The Loews at Journal Square !!!

Tear the white elephant down and build something that will bring tax revenue. It's a relic and a plaything for yuppies.

No, they should fix it up and turn it into a real theater letting the youth watch movies while admiring architecture from the past.

Posted on: 2008/12/6 13:41
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
The Hudson County Administration Building is one ugly ass building. Both inside and out.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
the entire newark ave starting at the grove entry. level the whole place and rebuild it. thx

Posted on: 2008/12/5 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
The cookie cutter style building has a great interior floor plan and is highest and best use for a 25 x100 lot. The althernative to these layouts would be to allow variances so real builders could come in and build condo buldings like in Hoboken. Many would object to that as well.

I don't know which Hoboken you are referring to, but there really isn't any great new architecture in Hoboken, Hudson County, New Jersey.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Although I do agree most builders build ugly cookie cutters , there are some builders that have some decent taste.

I noticed the nicest cookie cutters have balconies off the back onlyand arched windows in the front and natural color brick. Not that gross pink or white crap.

The cookie cutter style building has a great interior floor plan and is highest and best use for a 25 x100 lot. The althernative to these layouts would be to allow variances so real builders could come in and build condo buldings like in Hoboken. Many would object to that as well.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
This idea is as short-sighted and stupid. Fortunately, no thinking person would agree. Yes, reasonable minds can differ... but with so much underproductive real estate in this town, tearing down a baroque movie palace from 1929 is the worst idea I've ever heard in this backwards town. What is the style? Baroque? Art deco? Something like that.

The theater may not "fit" the neighborhood in your view, but it's an architectural treasure. You should go there sometime to see it.

Lastly, it's not a playplace for yuppies. Maybe hipsters. Maybe. Along with thousands of others, including my grandfather... who can recall and appreciate the era of grand theatres and the mostly black-and-white films still showing there.

Honestly, you should look on their website for a flik you like (or one that is might take you beyond your borders) and go there sometime if you have not already.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 15:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/11 7:36
Group:
Registered Users
The ugliest building would have to be Grove Pointe condos.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:
Just curious, what would you approve of/like better?

For some reason, I think the house in the middle picture looks a lot better than the top and bottom one.

Anyhow, thoughts:

a) Have the city sponsor an architecture contest to pick a few "model house plans" for future new, moderately priced Jersey City homes, and make a deal that permits the city to give the plans to builders for free, or distribute the plans through architects in a way that makes the plans very cheap for the developers and helps the architects make a living. That way, builders wouldn't have to spend a lot on architectural plans, but they'd be using plans that most people like, not plans that most people hate.

b) I prefer older buildings, but I think trying to make a cheap new building "match" old residential buildings produces hideous architecture.

The solution (which seems to be common in Hoboken): instead of trying to mimic 1800s residential architecture, mimic 1950s/1960s commercial buildings.

Emphasize rectangular building shapes, flat roofs (or flat roofs with penthouses with slanted roofs), and siding that "keeps it real."

Real gray corrugated steel, for example, would look a lot better in a lot of the city than fake pink brick would. On the more suburban streets, stucco would probably look a lot better than the fake brick.

Other ideas:

- If builders use big flat panels of siding, they ought to somehow incorporate the seams between the panels into the design of the siding, not try to ignore the seams. I think it looks awful when builders pretend that the seams aren't there and that their buildings really have brick siding.)

- The city should try to get developers of big properties to put the parking behind the houses.

- Have good designers figure out how to handle the windows, doors, garage doors, etc. I think just putting one big window under another big window makes a modern house look cheap. It's probably better to mix big windows with small windows.

- Builders should be required to put in at least one nice tree in front of every new home. The neighborhoods without trees look really harsh. Whereas, there are plenty of war-zone streets in Greenville that look gorgeous, partly because they have beautiful trees.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Just curious, what would you approve of/like better? Some of the houses in Greenville/Heights etc that are going up are by far a vast improvement from what was there. Everyone can't build/live in historic brownstones.

Absolutely, not everyone lives in historic brownstones or even the charming homes in the Greenville, Bergen, and Lafayette sections of Jersey City. I sure can't afford a brownstone.

As someone involved in the renovation business (lifelong Jersey City resident - and product of its public schools), there are ways to integrate styles of homes into a neighborhood without having to break the bank.

The homes that are highlighted in my post are built cheaply (substandard materials) and erected without regard of what styles are prevalent in any given neighborhood. Lazy architects can easily adjust a facade's style. I do it all the time when I talk people out of having the "track home" look. It's amazing how a "track home" can have the look of a classic American Four Square for the same amount of money.

Likewise, brownstones in this city have been massacred by homeowners who have no sense of style but want their structures refaced and modernized without regard of the neighborhood's architectural theme.

How often have "investors" taken a beautiful one family home on Bentley, Gifford, Belmont, Duncan, or Kensington Avenues and installed vinyl siding, ripped out the turret rooms and converted it into a 4 family? Enough already-- it's about preservation.

I love this city... I just want people to get bang for the buck and make their homes and neighborhoods more appealing which translates into better value and charm for the entire city.

The city did an admirable job when building some of the low and middle income structures in the Lafayette and Currie Woods neighborhoods. The homes are charming, and there is real evidence of dignity as seen in the wonderful gardens that the homeowners and rental occupants maintain.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:

1. Remove curb cut and create on street parking.
2. Replace garage doors with windows.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 17:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Any of the track housing construction built along Manila Avenue in the early 80's or the garbage put up in every vacant lot in the Heights, Greenville, JSQ, and Marion. These houses are constructed cheaply and quickly with wax and spit. In other words, anything that looks like this:

Resized Image

or this:

Resized Image

or this:

Resized Image

I lived in this town my whole life and remember when it was burning down in the 1970s. It's a shame that permits are being issued to built these cookie-cutter monstrosities.

If you live in one now, I mean no disrespect. The architects, investors, and the city are to blame.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I wanna nominate an entire block of buildings...those ugly little huts along Montgomery Street by the Turnpike.

True. Looks like Flintstone housing.

Low and moderate housing doesn't have to look like people live in Bedrock... not much thought put into these homes

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/7/8 12:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/28 23:53
From Moved to Dallas TX
Group:
Registered Users
I wanna nominate an entire block of buildings...those ugly little huts along Montgomery Street by the Turnpike.

They are the most soul crushing architecture that I've ever seen. My heart goes out to the families that have to live there.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 12:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 0:09
Group:
Registered Users
There is a blog called www.newyorksh*tty.com which shows that the new builds in Brooklyn are uglier and most likely less sustainable than those in Jersey City.

At least we get a Koolhaas, perhaps before I am 50.

But back on topic.

I would like to see the Mack-Cali building near the Path station updated to fit the rest of what is going up in the area.
The high-rises are not my style, but they are going up and hopefully there will be room for all of us in Jersey City in the times to come.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 10:24
Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it.
It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever.
--Noam Chomsky

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
and you're overlooking all the ugliness in wmbg architecture. that ugliness is from times past, but there's new ugly in bklyn too

Posted on: 2008/7/8 7:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I love the building that houses Morell's sporting goods, on that trapezoid between Newark, Erie and Bay.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 5:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/29 15:11
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
not to be cheeky, but whatever happened to seeing the beauty in ugliness... can someone pls start a 10 most beautiful bldgs in JC string, pls... I can think of at least 20 that I totally dig for various reasons.

and, for what it's worth, Williamsburgh is full of the same claptrap homes that JC is full of, so, quit it with yer dang inferiority complexes people.

Brooklyn is so over y'all... I mean, honestly, peeps. Get a grip on yourselves.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

What more can you say?

Greenpoint and Williamsburg are getting a very respectable architecture, and we're getting shite.

But they are part of NYC and we're Dirty Shitty.

It has, and will always be like that.

I know some will disagree, but I find even Hoboken's infill construction to be leaps and bounds better than JC's. I haven't noticed a real POS (like all over the Heights) go up there in a decade. JC is just a race to the bottom.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I've got 2.

One is my complete agreement with ianmac on the JAMES MONROE (at Newport)...it is modular poured concrete units with holes that were attached to lifting bolts, but they never filled in the ugly boltholes.

And the other is one of the mingiest buildings I've ever seen...the new WILZIG HOSPITAL on Grand Street. It looks like prefab temporary junk built on the cheap.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SimonBarSinister wrote:

Tear the white elephant down and build something that will bring tax revenue. It's a relic and a plaything for yuppies.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/22 19:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/24 1:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/6/22 17:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017