Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
49 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 49

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The other thing all these articles miss is that the PATH spurs economic development. The $400 million a year subsidy is easily made up when you look at the economic impact to the state. Billions a year in new residential and commercial construction and high-income earners.

When there was talk of axing weekend and late night services, the developers were the most vocal in calls to the governor - both democrat and republican.

Posted on: 2019/1/3 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Shit article. Didn't delve deeper to discover mismanagement at PATH.

The $4 billion Occulus wasn't necessary and includes the cost of the mall. It has no benefit the commuters. The temporary PATH station was much more functional.

Posted on: 2019/1/3 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
WTC ... talk about the literal "white elephant"... they have dimmed the lights in the building because some genius finally figured out that white is a difficult color to keep clean. Particularly in winter. Consequently people are falling down the steps to the PATH because they not seeing steps or not using the handrails which were installed long after it opened, for obvious safety reasons. And it leaks? LOL

Posted on: 2019/1/2 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I was just about to post the same article. The reporter does a good job of presenting some facts, but never seems to question the wasteful ways that led the Port Authority to spend 4 BILLION dollars in the reconstruction of the WTC station. That should have been addressed in the article. Perhaps the PATH wouldn?t be such a money pit if more fiscal restraint was being exercised. Also not addressed: why is the Harrison construction project going to cost so much. The article mentions projected spending of ~250 MM, but prior numbers I had seen indicated the cost was pegged around 500 MM. Either way, it seems like a lot of money for what amounts to a tiny station with very limited ridership.

Posted on: 2019/1/2 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/1/2 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently the bathrooms across from forever 21 are open 24/7

Posted on: 2018/11/10 15:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/2/26 15:55
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Exactly right newbie!!

I doubt narco is a daily commuter because it's a horrible station for commuters. It looks nice if just visiting, but I can honestly say the temporary PATH station was much more functional. Someone with a disability should sue the Port Authoirty for ADA compliance. How many elevators and distance does it take to get from the train to the street, especially if bound to a wheelchair.

Yes! That simple row of long escalators at the temporary station was much better than that mess we have today.

Now you have to go through a half dozen different staircases and escalators to get out of the damn place while dodging tourists who walk slowly and stand on the left side of the escalators.

Anyone notice that the restrooms in the PATH area also have super limited hours? I think they close at like 7pm or something like that on weekends. Glad to see they could afford to deck the whole building out in white Italian marble, but they somehow they can?t afford to keep restrooms open while you?re waiting 30 minutes for a train at night. I guess it?s just too much to ask to pay someone minimum wage to attend to the restrooms 24/7 in a $4 billion building.

I predict the oculus will age very poorly and we can expect more leaks and an expensive restoration project in 20-30 years. The marble is already stained and cracked in places.

Posted on: 2018/11/10 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Exactly right newbie!!

I doubt narco is a daily commuter because it's a horrible station for commuters. It looks nice if just visiting, but I can honestly say the temporary PATH station was much more functional. Someone with a disability should sue the Port Authoirty for ADA compliance. How many elevators and distance does it take to get from the train to the street, especially if bound to a wheelchair.

amen. the Occulus is a classic case of way-too-spendy form over basic function.

Posted on: 2018/11/9 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Not only should fares rise, but they should add a peak-hour premium to whatever is needed to reduce overcrowding and to encourage folks to go a half hour earlier or later. Unpopular opinion, but PATH is a fraction of the costs associated with driving.

Hell NO.... PATH is only 1/3 of my three zone commute. I first have to get to PATH, then PATH into the City, and then the NYC Subway to uptown Manhattan. I'm not the only one with a 3 zone commute. We don't need more highways clogging the the two tunnels and the GW Bridge into NYC. We need more public subsidies for mass transit to help alleviate traffic conditions all over the tri-state commuting area.

New Jersey is broke and taxes are already sky high. Were are we going to find additional subsidies? I hate it that no one is realistic when it comes to public finance. And to be honest, fares could triple on all three of your segments and I bet it will still be cheaper than driving when considering cost of tolls and parking in NYC. Plus it's going to be physically impossible to add any more cars to the tunnels, so I don't see that as a viable alternative either.

Quote:

And last, but water under the proverbial bridge, we should not have wasted billions on WTC PATH station. We PATH riders pay a premium for that debacle every day.

Agreed 1000% with you here - The Oculus was a terrible business decision $4 billion wasted for a shiity mall with poor egress. The port authority should have just sold the air rights for the site to the highest bidder and use the funds for trans-Hudson rail improvements. I wish NYC would bring the 7 line into New Jersey with a stop in Hudson County.

I cant believe people are still so butt hurt about the Oculus. Let it go. We tried that once where we didnt give a shit about commuters and put a massive building over what couldve been a beautiful train station. Its called Penn Station. You already got one. So let the rest of us finally have a nice station again like how it was in the heyday of travel.

Also, the subsidies from that mall help cover the costs of the station, and not to mention, literally every infrastructure project costs $4 billion now. Thats a problem with how we build, not with the PATH specifically.

The Oculus is no Pennsylvania Station of old, it's a shitty, overpriced mall that adds no benefit to commuters and actually hinders those commuting through it. I'll stick by my butt hurt stance

Posted on: 2018/11/9 14:14
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly right newbie!!

Posted on: 2018/11/9 13:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/10 2:07
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Not only should fares rise, but they should add a peak-hour premium to whatever is needed to reduce overcrowding and to encourage folks to go a half hour earlier or later. Unpopular opinion, but PATH is a fraction of the costs associated with driving.

Hell NO.... PATH is only 1/3 of my three zone commute. I first have to get to PATH, then PATH into the City, and then the NYC Subway to uptown Manhattan. I'm not the only one with a 3 zone commute. We don't need more highways clogging the the two tunnels and the GW Bridge into NYC. We need more public subsidies for mass transit to help alleviate traffic conditions all over the tri-state commuting area.

New Jersey is broke and taxes are already sky high. Were are we going to find additional subsidies? I hate it that no one is realistic when it comes to public finance. And to be honest, fares could triple on all three of your segments and I bet it will still be cheaper than driving when considering cost of tolls and parking in NYC. Plus it's going to be physically impossible to add any more cars to the tunnels, so I don't see that as a viable alternative either.

Quote:

And last, but water under the proverbial bridge, we should not have wasted billions on WTC PATH station. We PATH riders pay a premium for that debacle every day.

Agreed 1000% with you here - The Oculus was a terrible business decision $4 billion wasted for a shiity mall with poor egress. The port authority should have just sold the air rights for the site to the highest bidder and use the funds for trans-Hudson rail improvements. I wish NYC would bring the 7 line into New Jersey with a stop in Hudson County.

I cant believe people are still so butt hurt about the Oculus. Let it go. We tried that once where we didnt give a shit about commuters and put a massive building over what couldve been a beautiful train station. Its called Penn Station. You already got one. So let the rest of us finally have a nice station again like how it was in the heyday of travel.

I wouldn't mind the mall and the expense of building if it weren't for the fact that it sucks as a commuter. I am sure people have said this before but repeating it to vent.
* the small, hard to read/find signs for the subways, PATH train platform.
* the lack of proper seating and signage on the PATH train platforms. Would it have killed the architect to put proper seats at the platforms that enough people could sit comfortable while waiting for the trains at nights or weekends?
* the long, circuitous routes to get from where you are to the platforms. esp. from outside to the PATH platforms.
* the long walk from PATH to the E train platform.

Quote:

Also, the subsidies from that mall help cover the costs of the station, and not to mention, literally every infrastructure project costs $4 billion now. Thats a problem with how we build, not with the PATH specifically.

Posted on: 2018/11/9 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2018/11/8 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
PATH introducing cellphone service to underground stations

Updated 6:45 PM; Posted 6:45 PM

By Patrick Villanova
The Jersey Journal

Underground PATH stations are officially joining the 21st century.

The Port Authority announced Tuesday that cellphone service is being added to nine underground PATH stations, with connectivity from major carriers phased in over the course of the rest of the year and into early 2019.

As of Tuesday, AT&T and T-Mobile cellular service is available at underground PATH stations in New York, while cell service from both providers will expand to New Jersey's PATH stations in the next three weeks. Verizon Wireless and Sprint customers will see system-wide cellular service in both New York and New Jersey's underground PATH stations early next year.

Cellular connectivity will be available on platforms and throughout underground stations.

"We want to upgrade service to the traveling public at all our facilities," Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton said in a statement. "Access to cell coverage is an important expectation of PATH customers."

PATH follows in the footsteps of New York City's Metropolitan Transit Authority, which finished adding cellphone service to all of its subway stations in January 2017.

The PATH stations in New York with the new cellular coverage are: 33rd, 23rd, 14th, Ninth, and Christopher streets. The World Trade Center PATH station has had cellular coverage since it opened in 2016.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... d.html#incart_river_index

this is awesome news! I was wondering why I started getting a signal at the 14th street station last week. now I know.

I am not at all excited by the prospect of cell service availability within trains or stations. People are rude enough as it is, so imagine the additional annoyance of people loudly speaking into their phones, as they flaunt the many other rules about music, food, etc. Even NJ Transit and Metro North were forced to add "quiet cars" to their trains because of this issue. Alas, that's a non-starter for the PATH considering the current overcrowding issues.

The environment on the platform is not all that conducive to a conversation. As a Path rider it would be nice to be able to text my boss when I'm going to be late which is pretty frequent, dial into an early conference call when there's a delay, or for people who have to pick up kids, get a ride...etc. Stop whining it's 2018 for christsakes.

Posted on: 2018/11/8 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:

By Patrick Villanova
The Jersey Journal

The Port Authority announced Tuesday that cellphone service is being added to nine underground PATH stations, with connectivity from major carriers phased in over the course of the rest of the year and into early 2019.

As of Tuesday, AT&T and T-Mobile cellular service is available at underground PATH stations in New York, while cell service from both providers will expand to New Jersey's PATH stations in the next three weeks. Verizon Wireless and Sprint customers will see system-wide cellular service in both New York and New Jersey's underground PATH stations early next year.

Cellular connectivity will be available on platforms and throughout underground stations.

"We want to upgrade service to the traveling public at all our facilities," Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton said in a statement. "Access to cell coverage is an important expectation of PATH customers."

PATH follows in the footsteps of New York City's Metropolitan Transit Authority, which finished adding cellphone service to all of its subway stations in January 2017.

The PATH stations in New York with the new cellular coverage are: 33rd, 23rd, 14th, Ninth, and Christopher streets. The World Trade Center PATH station has had cellular coverage since it opened in 2016.

this is awesome news! I was wondering why I started getting a signal at the 14th street station last week. now I know.

I am not at all excited by the prospect of cell service availability within trains or stations. People are rude enough as it is, so imagine the additional annoyance of people loudly speaking into their phones, as they flaunt the many other rules about music, food, etc. Even NJ Transit and Metro North were forced to add "quiet cars" to their trains because of this issue. Alas, that's a non-starter for the PATH considering the current overcrowding issues.

Posted on: 2018/11/8 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2018/11/8 9:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

Posted on: 2018/11/7 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:

By Patrick Villanova
The Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2018/11/7 8:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

By Patrick Villanova
The Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2018/11/7 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
PATH trains set new record for ridership
Updated 7:11 AM; Posted 7:00 AM (2018)

By Larry Higgs lhiggs@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Feeling cramped on PATH trains lately?

It may be because a record breaking 82.8 million riders squeezed on to trans-Hudson trains in 2017, 4.3 million more than in 2016.

Last year was the first time PATH ridership topped 80 million since the Port Authority took control of the railroad in 1962, officials said. This marks the third time this decade that PATH shattered ridership numbers. Records were broken in 2011 and in 2012.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... br.html#incart_river_home

Posted on: 2018/1/30 12:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

papadage wrote:
As a motorcycle rider, I say fuck no to that. Heavy merged, like at the approaches to,, and the post-toll access ways to the tunnels are terrible. They are the only places where I routinely almost get hit when riding, and got hit once.

People are so anxious to crowd each other away at a merge, and motorcyclists are basically invisible to most drivers, that is is very easy to simply get knocked over.

I have this fantasy of people who won't alternate merge and act like it's a death match getting ticketed. Fantasy like I said.

Posted on: 2018/1/14 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
As a motorcycle rider, I say fuck no to that. Heavy merged, like at the approaches to,, and the post-toll access ways to the tunnels are terrible. They are the only places where I routinely almost get hit when riding, and got hit once.

People are so anxious to crowd each other away at a merge, and motorcyclists are basically invisible to most drivers, that is is very easy to simply get knocked over.

It is against a very important maxim of riding, to keep distance between you and the cars that will be trying to kill you.

To each their own. I routinely ride into the city, and for about two years it was the only way by which I commuted into the city, and never had issues using the Holland Tunnel. But, the savings associated with commuting by bike are many: reduced toll rates, very good gas mileage, ease of parking, less time wasted stuck in traffic jams.

Posted on: 2018/1/14 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned

It is against a very important maxim of riding, to keep distance between you and the cars that will be trying to kill you.

Posted on: 2018/1/14 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i'm just now reading nyt magazine article about nyc subway:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/mag ... on-wealth-inequality.html

article makes me appreciate PATH and the subway more...maybe fares should be raised to make necessary improvements?

Only true when considering a single commuter. For two people, driving can be about the same cost as the combined round trip cost of PATH and subway fare for two people, which is close to $24.

Heck, once warmer weather arrives, a single person can do his/her commute for less than PATH and subway fare when commuting by motorcycle, which is incredibly cheap and efficient.

Posted on: 2018/1/14 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

article makes me appreciate PATH and the subway more...maybe fares should be raised to make necessary improvements?

Posted on: 2018/1/14 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/1/14 11:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
One of the biggest things they could do to alleviate some crowding, or at least lessen discomfort, is pass some kind of regulation that backpacks and messenger bags need to be off the shoulder in the train. When a few people with packed backpacks are in the car, it makes it difficult to get in or out, and it takes up space.

You don't need a regulation. Just ask. I ask people all the time to take down their backpack and can't remember anyone saying no - or even putting up a fuss. Occasionally someone rolls their eyes, but hey - their problem, not mine.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
In the morning the train from Grove to Newark moves like a rocket, there's nobody on it.
I don't do it to get a seat, I couldn't care less about standing, it's having to wait for multiple trains to go by before you get in one.
Not as many people get out at Exchange Place as want to get in. As far as I'm concerned they have it the worst at Exchange Place.
Again, consider trying it.
And name calling without the facts is rude, and there is more than enough rudeness on jclist.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
I don't think I'm the troll. Have you tried it?

I've been to Newark. The trek from Journal Square to Harrison is horrible and is frequently delayed.

No one in their right mind is going to make an ~18 minute trek from Grove to Harrison, do an awkward transfer that may have to involve existing the system to due construction, and spend another 18 minutes backtracking to Grove just for a chance at a seat, which is no guarantee because they fill up at Newark.

An extra 35 minutes or so added to the commute when you could just stand in line and wait another 240 seconds for the next train.

As someone mentioned. The smart thing to do is walk to Exchange Place if it's within walking distance as there a lot of people that get off on that stop during the morning rush.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
For WTC commuters shut out at Grove:
Take the Newark train back to Harrison not JSQ. JSQ is frequently as bad as Grove now and Harrison is only 3 minutes away and frequently much more civilized. It's pretty annoying to take the train backward to JSQ and still get shut out of one or two trains. Particularly between 8 and 9am.

This is a troll post. It's like 15 minutes to Harrison. 15 minutes back to Journal Square, and it's not an easy transfer -- you might even have to exit the system to get back in.

yeah I read that and thought the "3" was surely a typo, as it's closer to 30 minutes roundtrip.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i wish PATH had countdown clocks at the entrances to the stations so people know when trains are coming and i replace the elevators and grove street escalator with something that does not break down. why are the nyc subway and nj transit light rail so much more reliable? why not not fully enclose the main entrance to the grove street PATH so that the escalator is not exposed to the elements.

it is ridiculous that the elderly/handicapped and pregnant women/women with baby strollers have to climb those stairs.

Posted on: 2018/1/11 5:18

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017