Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Parking Code of Ethics
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
This thread is borderline retarded.

Cars do not come in a standard length, and a curb is not divided into equal-sized "parking spaces."

When you park, unless you find that rare perfect-sized parking space, you either have to get as close as possible (with breathing room) to the car in front of you, leaving extra space behind you, or get as close as possible to the car behind you, leaving extra space in front of you.

If the car you park closer to leaves before you do, you suddenly appear to be taking up more space than you need. There is no way to maximize space usage in street parking.

Posted on: 2007/10/15 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
parking permits should have a fee based on the category of the car.

+1 and then some!

Posted on: 2007/10/15 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Weirdo is the wrong word for a green person! Woohoo. I agree with you on all counts. I'm embarrassed by our car. But just installed green light bulbs.

Yes, the corruption a the city hall level frightens me. Isn't it 2007? Why is this still happening? It's absolutey shocking to me. I know some things about people being paid off there, no question - TO THIS DAY! How can this happen? It makes me absolutely sick.

I do agree about the me, me, me attitude. But one thing I've learned - is that buying a home, all the scamming, fraud, ripping off, buyer beware, being on hold, having to read my bills diligently, dysfunctional bank scenario's, being frauded on our bank account, and on and on and on - I noticed I wasn't watching the news at all, I had no idea about world events. How can I? I"m too busy trying to survive in my own piece of the world in an environment that favors big business rather than me. The amount of times I've had to phone and be on hold to set up my phone, cable, newspaper and the mistakes they made, the bad service, the upcharges, and more things I can even get in to. I was so about ME and just having power in having a parking spot felt like there was one thing I was in control of!!!!!!

Posted on: 2007/10/14 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Whinging = whining. Spent too many years in Europe, so my vocabulary is peppered with odd words, like "wanker." I do feel jaded because there are REAL problems in JC - like crime, sorry schools, corrupt/inept local government (including the parking authority), to name a few. Yet, parking and the lack thereof seems to dominate more than a few discussion threads. To me it's just seems like a disproportionate amount of complaining in relation to all the other problems out there. Damn, I love my country, but there are times when I read some of these threads and think "no wonder the rest of the world has such a negative opinion about Americans. It's all about me, me, me." Most families in Europe get by on one car, and it's usually something like a Volkswagen or a Fiat. That's not to say, of course, that big cities there weren't full of wankers, too.

If anything, I think JC still makes it TOO EASY for car owners. I'm all for a more pedestrian friendly city. There's still a long way to go on that front, and I get discouraged whenever I walk by one of those big high-rise construction projects and they're building a big honking garage to go along with it. A big, diverse city like JC can only get better if people get out into their neighborhoods and walk around and LIVE in it - not hop in the car and drive off. I'll admit, I'm the weirdo who likes to walk or ride the train, takes canvas tote bags to the supermarket, keeps the thermostat at 62 in winter and hangs up her clothes to dry rather than use a dryer. I don't really consider myself "green" - these are simply habits picked up from living nearly a decade overseas - but it did open my eyes to just how much Americans consume when I moved back here.

And kudos for the grocery gesture. I do hope that invites a bit of good karma your way.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Awww, Jaded, you sound just that - Jaded. And what is "Whinging" is it a method of whining that only car owners do? Life would be so much easier if we didn't have a car. Dagnabbit! I'm starting to feel jaded myself about the scenario. We have a big car too which is shameful and drives me nuts. But alas, I'm one half of someone who loves to camp, tailgate and be a weekend warrior and who also is the size of one, so no mini for him. But I agree with you. It hurts, but you are right. Truth be known, I'm sick of the attitude of the city right now and it doesn't mean because we are all more anonymous in crowds it condone's rude behaviour and discourteous ways of living - like being a parking a$$hole.

And yes we RENT the spot, not own. I loved the suggestions. And hey Jaded, on a Sunday night coming home and driving around for an hour is sad. Would love to have given up the car on the spot.

On another note, let's start another movement! PAY IT FORWARD! Last night I was at a bodega and bought the woman's groceries behind me. Okay, she only had O.J. and a couple of things the cashier could eyeball so I could pay anonymously. But it was fun leaving and seeing her approach the counter being told it was taken care of. Everytime I'm pissed about the attitudes I'm encountering I try and do something kind that will help my karma a little.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Oh fer fark's sake, I'm so sick and tired of the amount of whinging that goes on about parking. Guess what people? You live in a densely populated city. My guess is most people chose to live here for an easy commute to their jobs via public transportation. You can't have it both ways - a nice quick PATH train ride to work along with easy street parking where you live. Life is full of tradeoffs and in a big city, parking is NOT a god-given right. So either put up with the parking mess (and it's the same in any big city), pay to park in a private lot, or give up the car altogether. If owning a car and easy parking are that important, then move to the suburbs. Plenty of parking there. Hell, you won't even have to walk the 50 yards between Pathmark and Target at the strip mall - you can drive between the two lots!

Posted on: 2007/10/13 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
People in JC particularly seem to be very self centered, I don't see this issue ever going away.

The city should just clearly paint spot lines on every street and ticket forcefully if you aren't in a spot.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 12:54

Re: to the person who left the obnoxious note on my car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ilovefood wrote:
when I parked it a day ago, the cars in front of and in back of me were less than one foot away... sooo ... when those cars moved and others came in, this guy apparently thought I purposely left lots of room on either side (?).

I suspected as much, since this happens frequently. But that is not what you said. What you said is that you have a really small car, and if the guy who left a note had a really small car, he should have been able to park without a problem. And for that, I called you a douchebag, because in fact, even very small cars can be parked poorly enough to keep other really small cars out of a space.

Quote:

If everyone drove a subcompact car like mine, we'd have a lot more parking places in JC.

I don't disagree and have suggested in past threads that parking permits should have a fee based on the category of the car.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/10/13 11:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
yup this is totally correct. happens to me all the time. since no lines are parked on street and the street doesn't tell history you can't actually figure out who parked inconsideratly. the "culprit" may just have had their car parked longer in one spot. I drive a subcompact car and think people with bigger cars should pay more taxes as they use more of the road i'm paying for. Quote:
ilovefood wrote: Did I complain about parking in jc? And does the fact that someone left a note on my car criticizing my parking prove that I was incompetent in parking it? I actually do have a really small car (so parking has never been a problem, thanks), and when I parked it a day ago, the cars in front of and in back of me were less than one foot away... sooo ... when those cars moved and others came in, this guy apparently thought I purposely left lots of room on either side (?). If everyone drove a subcompact car like mine, we'd have a lot more parking places in JC. Some ridiculous person decided to leave a note on my tiny car saying that I took up too much space. I think that anger should be reserved for the cars 4 - 8 ft. longer than mine (most of them). Quote:
ianmac47 wrote: Quote:
ilovefood wrote: I apologize if the way my small car was parked made it difficult for you to find a spot. However if your car was as small as mine, you could have easily fit behind me. balderdash.
You sound like a douchebag. Don't go complaining about the shortage of parking if you are too inconsiderate or incompetent to park your own car properly.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 4:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/10 14:28
Group:
Registered Users
Did I complain about parking in jc? And does the fact that someone left a note on my car criticizing my parking prove that I was incompetent in parking it? I actually do have a really small car (so parking has never been a problem, thanks), and when I parked it a day ago, the cars in front of and in back of me were less than one foot away... sooo ... when those cars moved and others came in, this guy apparently thought I purposely left lots of room on either side (?). If everyone drove a subcompact car like mine, we'd have a lot more parking places in JC. Some ridiculous person decided to leave a note on my tiny car saying that I took up too much space. I think that anger should be reserved for the cars 4 - 8 ft. longer than mine (most of them). Quote:
ianmac47 wrote: Quote:
ilovefood wrote: I apologize if the way my small car was parked made it difficult for you to find a spot. However if your car was as small as mine, you could have easily fit behind me. balderdash.
You sound like a douchebag. Don't go complaining about the shortage of parking if you are too inconsiderate or incompetent to park your own car properly.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2007/10/13 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/10/13 2:06
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, that was my note. And I remember precisely what car you drive. So watch out.

Umm, no. That wasn't my note; mine wouldn't have been so diplomatic. Add a few expletives here and a few names there, maybe.

Anyway, here's to hoping that you won't be taking precious parking spots in the future.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 2:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No no, I get it.

Did you leave the note? It totally was you!! Nice dashes, dashy.

I'm *clearly* an inconsiderate driver because of the way I parked my car (yesterday).

Soo, what kind of a note are you going to leave next time?

Posted on: 2007/10/13 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Umm, ok.

The point of the note -- which you so *clearly* missed -- is not that your car was small, but that you parked it in such a way that you kept one other driver from parking his/her vehicle either in front of or behind yours.

I hate inconsiderate drivers regardless of the size of their cars. Oh, and you're lucky you didn't get more than just that note. Maybe next time you won't be as lucky.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 1:42

to the person who left the obnoxious note on my car

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I found a handwritten note on my car today that said : "check it -- b/c of the way you parked -- your small car took up two spots. nonsense." I apologize if the way my small car was parked made it difficult for you to find a spot. However if your car was as small as mine, you could have easily fit behind me. balderdash.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
creativeconquests, Did you buy it or rent it? If you bought it, that really good

I agree with all the things you guys said, but not everyone knows how to park well, so the ones that don't will leave as much possible space.

langdonalger, whats even worse than the average big van like comcast, is when they put out the cones behind their car. It the end, they take up like 2 parking spaces. I'd like to put a few cones around my car so nobody parks close.

leigh13, My dad once got ticketed around Journal Square for being too close to the corner. So they do give out tickets for that, I think it just depends on the street.

Also, leigh13, I don't know if this ever happened to you, but if a person parks between you and the corner, it makes it more ovious that you passed the "red" zone the feet or two, and you might get a ticket too.

Posted on: 2007/10/12 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Well said, langdonalger! My thoughts exactly, I just wouldn't have bothered to type all that out.

To add... if you're parking at the edge of a driveway, handicapped spot, hydrant, or anywhere that you're in the "last" spot, pull all the way up! It annoys the hell out of me when someone parks six feet away from the edge of a handicapped spot (which is big enough for a car and a half as it is.) You end up with a spot big enough for 3/4 a car, thanks.

The people I find most inconsiderate are the ones who park illegally on the end of the block in the "red" zone. I'll park my car right up to the edge of the red paint, maybe even a foot or two over. That leaves a legal amount of space free up to the corner and ensures that turning cars and pedestrians in the crosswalk have a clear view.

Inevitably, some jerk will park between my car and the corner. And since they know they're parking illegally, they'll park as close as humanly possible to my bumper so that they aren't completely in the crosswalk. Meanwhile, I end up blocked in if there isn't enough room to make space on the other side.

What I don't understand is why the JCPA doesn't seem to enforce the "parking too close to the corner" regulation. When I used to live over by VVP, they seemed to ticket for that pretty regularly. In Harsimus Cove, it seems to just be a free for all--and I can't believe I find myself wishing that the PA would actually ticket *more* often...

Posted on: 2007/10/11 22:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/21 0:41
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
while i agree that parking is becoming more and more difficult in jc, it does seem to be mostly out of our control. there are many instances where someone looks to have done something wrong, but in reality, they ended up with an awkward sized space and couldn't efficiently maximize the space.

take for example when a large suv, pse&g truck or other such oversize vehicle leaves it's space, and a much smaller car takes its place. the small car driver now unwittingly looks as if they've done something stupid by leaving too much space in one direction or another.

anyway, as someone who has been parking their car every other day for about 4 years now, i can only offer the following advice.

before parking, when you are first or last car on the edges of the block, make sure your tires are as close as possible to the painted red curbside without going over it. that will at least give the slightest bit more room for everyone in between. the next car in line should try to park as closely as possible while leaving just enough room to maneuver in and out should someone else park to closely in the other direction.

when parking in the middle of the block, take a moment and size up the situation. if the street cleaner has recently passed or a large vehicle has vacated a space leaving those large gaps, make sure you park as closely as possibly to other cars who are using their space wisely. that means that if there are a few cars parked at corner A and they have large gaps between them, but there are a few other cars parked at corner B and there is very little space between them, park as closely to the cars at corner B as possible. by parking near corner A, you are effectively locking that dead space in until all of those cars leave.

by trying to apply both courtesies, there is a slightly better chance that parking could become a tad easier for us all.

if anyone else has any other ideas to bring to the table, i'd love to hear them!

Posted on: 2007/10/11 17:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/10 14:44
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
I agree - people should be more courteous when they park, but not just by leaving reasonable amounts of space between cars so others can fit, but also by being more cautious when pulling in and out of parking spaces. I know sometimes parking is cramped or erradic...but please be careful when you park...because no one likes it when they come outside to go to work at 6:30 am to find a giant SUV parked on top of the hood of their car...and an SUV-owner who then refuses to pay for the damage to the hood and bumper! That was the best morning ever.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 14:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Okay, I'm so irked. I drove around 5th street area for 20 minutes last night trying to find parking. What I did see is VOLUMES of space between parallel parked cars that could have all fit at least five more vehicles if people when they are parking pulled up a little closer to the vehicle either in front of them or behind.

People, people, people, yes you.....with the car there. The one with about 5 feet between you and the vehicle behind you that you just parked in front of. How about ya reverse and leave say.....a foot and a half there so I can find a spot at night? It's only going to get worse if we don't all follow some nice ole' parking codes of ethics. What do you say?

Let's start a movement! As in MOVE YOUR DARN CAR SO I CAN FIT MINE! If you get out of your car and think you have more room than you thought - get back in there and pull up! That's a love!

+1....great post!

,,,and a thunderous "AMEN!" was heard from the true believers.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Okay, I'm so irked. I drove around 5th street area for 20 minutes last night trying to find parking. What I did see is VOLUMES of space between parallel parked cars that could have all fit at least five more vehicles if people when they are parking pulled up a little closer to the vehicle either in front of them or behind.

People, people, people, yes you.....with the car there. The one with about 5 feet between you and the vehicle behind you that you just parked in front of. How about ya reverse and leave say.....a foot and a half there so I can find a spot at night? It's only going to get worse if we don't all follow some nice ole' parking codes of ethics. What do you say?

Let's start a movement! As in MOVE YOUR DARN CAR SO I CAN FIT MINE! If you get out of your car and think you have more room than you thought - get back in there and pull up! That's a love!

+1....great post!

Posted on: 2007/10/11 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I'd so agree with you if I didn't just watch someone do it right in front of me! Oops, now I'm watching someone else following my advice but yet, bumping the car behind them. Umm, not THAT close. Solution? We just bought a parking spot for $150 from someone's driveway on 4th. Woohoo. So I'll let it go!

Posted on: 2007/10/11 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I was told that there was a couple on 5th that would park their cars one in front of the other, then if one needed to run an errand, pull out and move the other to take both spots till they returned. If I lived on that block, those cars would not be pretty.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 0:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/12 12:56
Group:
Registered Users
JCPD was on my block (WestSide) yesterday towing cars (3 cars). I asked them what's up and, get this, all of the cars were stolen. Seems that car thieves like to boost a ride elsewhere and stash it on "nice" blocks then come over to get it when they need it. If it gets towed for being a stolen ride, its hard to pin it on a regular actor in the nabe and they can always spot a stakeout on the car.

I have always wondered why I'll see 19-year-olds in 5 series BMWs parking on our block and walking up to JFK to catch the 99 bus. Well, now I know.

To put this on topic: They often pull in to spots in such a way to keep other cars from parking between them and the driveway cut outs.

Posted on: 2007/10/10 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
i can relate to this however, a lot of times it is just due to circumstance of one car never moving and multiple cars parking and leaving in the interim of all different sizes causing this problem. it is not necessarily some inconsiderate prick doing this on purpose so you just have to roll with the punches sometimes.

Posted on: 2007/10/10 23:54

JC Parking Code of Ethics
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2007/10/10 22:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017