Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Area around Wayne and Barrow St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonparkjc wrote:
Still sucks.

Lmfao!! I live on Wayne but between Grove and Marin. It's a great place to live, I have my doubts about how sketchy the park is late at night as I have friends who live near Wayne and Jersey and have never had a problem walking home from a party. BUT everyone has their own comfort level. I think you will be fine. Hope it all works out. Have a great weekend. All of Wayne street isn't that bad.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 5:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/16 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
Hello. I live about 2 blocks west of there on Varick and Wayne. I would not consider it dangerous but it all depends on what your level of comfort is. If you are used to very nice areas such as the waterfront or Newport then you may feel uncomfortable somewhere that doesn't have that same visual appeal. That doesn't mean you are going to get stabbed in the face when you walk outside though. There are a lot of nice looking brownstones around that area. Again I don't live on that specific block so forgive me if I'm not describing it 100% accurately but I have walked through there at night and have never felt threatened. You may want to check out the neighborhood at night to see if you feel comfortable.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Still sucks.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 22:11

Area around Wayne and Barrow St.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/1 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
Hello, I am moving to Jersey City because of work.

I was wondering how the Van Voors area is?

Specifically I am wondering about the area around the corner of Wayne and Barrow. I searched this area within the message board but the responses were roughly 4 years and I have been told change has happened since then.

Any honest input is appreciated...

Thank you

Posted on: 2010/7/30 21:51

Re: truth about wayne?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/8 21:16
Group:
Registered Users
The area has been getting a lot better! Did you notice they took out all the benches in the "park"!
Thank you to who made that happen!!

Posted on: 2010/5/18 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown is like any other area of JC. Watch your back..your car..your bike..your UPS packages..your house..your consciousness... especially at night.

(hey no one has used the word ?sketchy? yet)

I saw this a few weeks ago....

Man argues with stranger, who knocks him cold

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Jersey City police responding to a street fight Sunday night on Wayne Street near Barrow Street found a man lying on the ground unconscious, officials said.

While waiting for the ambulance, the 54-year-old came to and told officers that around 11 p.m. he got into an argument with a man he did not know and the man punched him in the left eye, knocking him out, reports said.

The incident was caught on security video by a camera belonging to a resident in the area and police watched the video, reports said.

The victim, who suffered visible swelling and a cut above his eye, was taken to the Jersey City Medical Center for treatment.Nothing was stolen from the victim.

GEM JEFFERSON

from www.nj.com

buy the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2010/5/17 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Annoying and noisy, but not especially dangerous.

A nod and hello goes a long way.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's just loitering characters, for the most part. There are a few houses where they sit out on the stoops, drink, and there is also a house that sells drugs. If I was a higher up in the police department, I'd have a police presence there throughout most of the dark hours. It's amazing that the stuff that happens there (open air drug market) occurs still.

Other than that, it is actually a very pretty block, and with the Rosina condos going up, the block is definitely on the up and up.

I wouldn't say the block is dangerous, by any means.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 20:44

truth about wayne?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/30 1:48
Group:
Registered Users
hi. i am new to wayne street and was not aware it was such a problematic area
should i really be scared? please answer only if you live on or travel on this block frequently. i don't need to hear that you see suspicious characters by the playground because i see them too. have you been approached or messed with? is it safe to walk at night? the super of my building is one of the characters but he is just an old neighborhood guy who has been hanging out there for years. i read the wayne street posting on the message board but i get the feeling it is just alot of uncomfortable suburbanites who are going through a culture shock.
hellllp! i want to feel comfortable in my new home and experience the fun of living in downtown jc.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 20:38

Re: truth about wayne
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
The SHIFT key can easily be fashioned into a shank. Looks like you know what you're doing. Look out desk jockeys, Wayne St has a new sheriff.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 3:36

truth about wayne

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/30 1:48
Group:
Registered Users
hi. i am new to wayne street and was not aware it was such a problematic area
should i really be scared? please answer only if you live on or travel on this block frequently. i don't need to hear that you see suspicious characters by the playground because i see them too. have you been approached or messed with? is it safe to walk at night? the super of my building is one of the characters but he is just an old neighborhood guy who has been hanging out there for years. i read the wayne street posting on the message board but i get the feeling it is just alot of uncomfortable suburbanites who are going through a culture shock.
hellllp! i want to feel comfortable in my new home and experience the fun of living in downtown jc.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 3:06

Re: Wayne Street Issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Webmaster wrote:
I moved to JC in '82 and lived on Barrow and Mercer. The problem on Wayne St was the same then as now, so anyone hoping it will change soon should not hold their breath.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 17:18
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
Get rid of the income house on Wayne and Barrow and crime will go away! At least make a law where if anyone is arrested for any crime and live in Public or Income housing, they are out. PERIOD!

Posted on: 2010/5/16 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Why anyone would put a basketball court just feet away from residences is beyond me. This park should be turned into a dog-run and a community garden.

I hate that park, but as for your alternative; why would anyone put a dog run just feet away from residences is beyond me.

If I have to explain then it's just not worth the effort.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Why anyone would put a basketball court just feet away from residences is beyond me. This park should be turned into a dog-run and a community garden.

I hate that park, but as for your alternative; why would anyone put a dog run just feet away from residences is beyond me.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Why anyone would put a basketball court just feet away from residences is beyond me. This park should be turned into a dog-run and a community garden. And once again the cops are making lame excuses. They know EXACTLY where the problem lies and yet they make excuse after excuse. This drug den is the hub of the petty crime we see all over the downtown area. Addicts troll the area breaking into cars, homes etc and then return to Wayne Street for their fix. Nice to hear the logical conclusion that the presence of dogs helps to keep these scumbags moving along. Yay Dogs!

Posted on: 2010/5/6 14:49

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters

Posted on: 2010/5/6 6:26

Re: Park on Wayne St.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
I use to live right infront of that park.. You will have a hard time sleeping at night..

Posted on: 2010/5/5 21:56

Park on Wayne St.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/8 21:16
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone else on here live near this miserable little park? The noise is driving me nuts! I thought it was supposed to close at 10pm, but there are little kids screaming till 4am and crowds drinking, honking, playing music. The basketball Court!!! Weekends are one thing, but weekdays too?!

Posted on: 2010/5/5 21:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/24 3:13
From Wayne Wayne Wayne
Group:
Registered Users
Supposedly, over the weekend, according to an eyewitness (not me, I know, second-hand--haven't read the police report yet), a car blocked another one off on Wayne at Barrow, two men brandished guns and robbed the car's three occupants, and took the car.

( ? )

Anybody else heard anything about it?

Posted on: 2008/10/21 22:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/10 6:27
Group:
Registered Users
HAAAAAAAA !!!!!! HAAAAAA!!!!!!! HAAAAAAA! Is all I have to say to this thread ........ I am a former Jc resident , having put in my 30 yrs moved on to greener Pastures, AZ and now Cali.

I can honestly tell you that the only reason the Drug bust and cleanup took place at all is because it is an Election year and not to worry every thing will be back to normal with all the multigenerational Bompies returning to roost in the nabe!!!!!! Cheerio!!!!! God how I miss Jersey City!!!!!!

Posted on: 2008/10/21 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to hear they're sticking to it. I don't think that playground is a good idea. There's a good one at VVP, as noted a quick 2 blocks away.

Minus the police presence, I see that playground reverting to the lowest common denominator fast...

Posted on: 2008/10/20 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Two uniformed officers have been planted in front of my building for a nice chunk of the afternoon -- I can see them from my window (and even hear their radios)!

It's been so refreshingly quiet over here lately.

From what I can tell, the hoodlums and drug dealers and thugs are beginning to retreat (or are at least in hiding for now).

Officer Daly has also been regularly on patrol -- often parking directly in front of the playground as a deterrent.

I met him for the first time the other day, and he seems really committed to reducing the loitering and cleaning up the block.

I've lived on Wayne Street for over 7 years now and I can't remember it ever being this good.

I sure hope it continues -- keep up the good work JCPD!

Posted on: 2008/10/20 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I say get rid of that little park. I live on Wayne St and it's always filled with knuckleheads. I would NEVER let my kids play there. I don't even like walking down that block.

Van Vorst is 2 blocks away. The kids can play there.

TEAR DOWN THIS PLAYGROUND!!!!!

Posted on: 2008/10/20 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:

Having lived around here for 20 years, I still maintain that if any site ever needed a luxury condo building, it's that "park".

I think that street actually needs the playground.

I once let my child play there. The playground equipment was in good repair, and there were a bunch of kids there having a good time. So, there's nothing wrong with a playground being there. The problem is that it's not zoned for a retail shop, and some guys have chosen to operate a retail shop there.

Too bad they can't just pretend to be selling sandwiches or something and open in one of the empty storefronts on Jersey Avenue, instead of taking up park space.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know if the police are keeping up a presence around everyone's favorite neighborhood park?

Would be nice to see some real effort beyond the one bust...

Posted on: 2008/10/20 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Good work.....and only took 35 years.

Must be a mayoral election coming up....

Having lived around here for 20 years, I still maintain that if any site ever needed a luxury condo building, it's that "park".

Posted on: 2008/10/10 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
It's amazing how peaceful the walk home was today. Actually kinda of eerie.
I doubt it will last though.

Posted on: 2008/10/9 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Gang sweep nets at least 12

Thursday, October 09, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Detectives with the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office spent yesterday rounding up more than a dozen alleged gang members as part of an investigation into four homicides, officials said.

"Different members of this crew were in some way involved in the four incidents of homicide," Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said. "This was a gang-related investigation."

By yesterday afternoon, DeFazio said his office had taken about a dozen persons into custody - including a murder suspect - and detectives were tracking down several more.

The homicides involved in the investigation took place this year and last, and several individuals were also charged with weapons and drug offenses, DeFazio said.

More information would be released today, DeFazio said.

Posted on: 2008/10/9 13:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/26 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
Two charged in brazen drug-dealing operationThursday, October 09, 2008 By MICHAELANGELO CONTEJOURNAL STAFF WRITER
Jersey City police brass are crediting an experimental "three-prong" attack on drug dealing for the seizure of 365 vials of suspected cocaine and two arrests at a Downtown Jersey City park Tuesday night.

Arrested at Wayne Street Park near Jersey Avenue at 10:30 p.m. were Clayton S. Cureton, 19, of Montgomery Street, and a 16-year-old boy from Stegman Street, reports said.

Advertisement

They face multiple drug counts, including drug possession with intent to distribute near a school and park, reports said, adding that Cureton is also charged with using a juvenile to deal drugs.

Both were nabbed through using a system of first sending in undercover cops to identified high drug-dealing areas, then sending in plainclothes police at odd hours and finally getting people in the community to go outside and essentially take back the streets, said East District Capt. Brian McDonough.

"This operation is ongoing and is a step to insure we go after the drug dealers and then put uniformed personnel in the area to make sure they don't come back," Police Director Sam Jefferson added. "We are now opening it up to other areas of the city."

Police chose the area of Wayne Street Park to test the technique after they received numerous complaints of open-air drug dealing, officials said.

It was a uniformed officer posted at the park who around 4:15 p.m. spotted Cureton making what appeared to be drug transactions, reports said. The uniformed officer immediately contacted plainclothes officers, who set up surveillance, reports said.

The plainclothes police watched as Cureton handed something to the boy as they walked up Wayne Street toward a third man waiting on a bicycle and they converged on them, reports said.

The boy dropped five vials of suspected cocaine and was arrested, but Cureton ran and after a chase was found hiding under a car, reports said. The person on the bike got away.

A search of Cureton turned up 360 vials of suspected cocaine with a street value of about $3,600, reports said.

McDonough said he and Chief Tom Comey used this system of alternating uniformed and plainclothes officers in the 1990s and conferred recently and decided to put it into practice again.

Posted on: 2008/10/9 12:26

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017